PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News : Tom Silverstein Packer report : 4/21/06

motife
04-22-2006, 07:41 AM
Packers Team Report
4/21/2006

By Tom Silverstein
Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Though his role for next season remains totally up in the air, quarterback Aaron Rodgers is preparing to be the starter in offseason workouts. Rodgers is the main focus in coach Mike McCarthy's quarterbacks school and is receiving complete attention from McCarthy and quarterbacks coach Tom Clements. The goal is to clean up Rodgers' fundamentals and get him in tune with the different style offense McCarthy plans on installing. During the workout sessions and in minicamps, McCarthy wants to get a feel for what Rodgers can do outside of the pocket; Rogers will be tested on rollouts and scrambles. He was mostly a pocket passer in college. . . .

The decision to part ways with wide receiver Terrence Murphy was a tough one. The 2005 second-round pick was one of the most promising players from that draft class and was probably going to be among the top three receivers on the team this year. But doctors discovered he had a narrow spinal column and the club decided it was too risky to put him on the field. Murphy still wants to play and might seek a job with another team. The club signed free agents Rod Gardner and Marc Boerigter, but neither has the long-term potential of Murphy. Considering the lack of depth at the receiver position in the draft, the club's only hope is to grab a sleeper in the later rounds and hope that NFL Europe receiver Chad Lucas can take a big step. . .

Linebacker remains a position in flux. The club is trying to sign free agent LaVar Arrington but knows it's not a sure thing and continues to consider more modest options such as Saleem Rasheed and Barrett Green. All of the linebackers the club is considering are fast, weakside types who can chase sideline-to-sideline. The club doesn't necessarily need a physical giant such as Arrington to succeed in that scheme, but it does need speed. The linebackers have to be able to string running plays out as well as explode through gaps. . .

Rumors continue to swirl about the possibility of the club trading disgruntled wide receiver Javon Walker, but unless G.M. Ted Thompson gets close to a first-round pick it's unlikely he'll deal him. The club doesn't want to set the precedent of letting unhappy players force their way out, but should a team make an offer he can't refuse, Thompson might pull the trigger. The problem is that Walker is coming off a torn ACL and only has one year left on his deal. An interested team would have to give up compensation and reward him with a hefty contract, all without knowing for sure about his playing status. Still, most personnel officials think Walker will recover and be a Pro Bowl-type player again.

SCOUTING REPORT: Free-agent safety Marquand Manuel was signed to be the quarterback of the secondary. Manuel is more of an in-the-box player than he is a center fielder, and the club will have to make concessions for his lack of speed. But what Manuel lacks in cover ability he'll try to make up for in brains and leadership, which is something the club desperately needs in its secondary. Manuel will be able to position players where they need to be and make quick decisions on coverage changes. He should add to the team's run defense because of his ability to play near the line of scrimmage.

STOCK RISING: The club feels good enough about nose tackle Colin Cole that it doesn't feel a need to re-sign Grady Jackson. Cole slowly has moved up the ladder and will share time with free agent Ryan Pickett in the middle of the defense. Cole is a fireplug who can hold the point on a fairly consistent basis. He won't blow up double-teams or consistently put pressure on the quarterback, but he knows how to use leverage to his advantage and won't make a lot of mental errors. He needs to shed blockers and find the ball more consistently.

motife
04-22-2006, 07:48 AM
Veteran free agents

Pos. Arrivals '05 team
QB Tom Arth IND
WR Marc Boerigter KC
K Billy Cundiff TB
S Marquand Manuel SEA
NT Ryan Pickett STL
LB Ben Taylor CLE
LB Tracy White JAC

Pos. Departures '06 team
RB Ran Carthon SEA
WR Antonio Chatman CIN
RB Tony Fisher STL
C Mike Flanagan HOU
LB John Leake ATL
LB Paris Lenon DET
K Ryan Longwell MIN
QB Craig Nall BUF
G Grey Ruegamer NYG

Bretsky
04-22-2006, 08:21 AM
""Rumors continue to swirl about the possibility of the club trading disgruntled wide receiver Javon Walker, but unless G.M. Ted Thompson gets close to a first-round pick it's unlikely he'll deal him. The club doesn't want to set the precedent of letting unhappy players force their way out, but should a team make an offer he can't refuse, Thompson might pull the trigger. The problem is that Walker is coming off a torn ACL and only has one year left on his deal. An interested team would have to give up compensation and reward him with a hefty contract, all without knowing for sure about his playing status. Still, most personnel officials think Walker will recover and be a Pro Bowl-type player again. ""

This is the right thing to do

Fosco33
04-22-2006, 09:23 AM
""Rumors continue to swirl about the possibility of the club trading disgruntled wide receiver Javon Walker, but unless G.M. Ted Thompson gets close to a first-round pick it's unlikely he'll deal him. The club doesn't want to set the precedent of letting unhappy players force their way out, but should a team make an offer he can't refuse, Thompson might pull the trigger. The problem is that Walker is coming off a torn ACL and only has one year left on his deal. An interested team would have to give up compensation and reward him with a hefty contract, all without knowing for sure about his playing status. Still, most personnel officials think Walker will recover and be a Pro Bowl-type player again. ""

This is the right thing to do

Agreed - I say we only make a trade if most of the injury risk is ignored (i.e., pre-injury state potential). If we got a #1 pick or a quality backup and a #2 or #3, we'd get additional value for the team. Sitting on Walker will teach him a lesson but ultimately cost the Packers in the end (no value, relationship problems, etc.). Get rid of him if you can!

Fosco33
04-22-2006, 09:29 AM
Though his role for next season remains totally up in the air, quarterback Aaron Rodgers is preparing to be the starter in offseason workouts. Rodgers is the main focus in coach Mike McCarthy's quarterbacks school and is receiving complete attention from McCarthy and quarterbacks coach Tom Clements. The goal is to clean up Rodgers' fundamentals and get him in tune with the different style offense McCarthy plans on installing. During the workout sessions and in minicamps, McCarthy wants to get a feel for what Rodgers can do outside of the pocket; Rogers will be tested on rollouts and scrambles. He was mostly a pocket passer in college. . . .

I guess I was expecting a decision from Brett by now (while I understood the above was possible). It really just sunk in just now. Remember last year how Brett was on this 'new workout pattern' focusing on speed/agility - he wasn't there for Rodgers. Then people asked him, "Why aren't you mentoring Rodgers?" He piped back that it wasn't his job. So - you really have Rodgers learning from Brett while he had -arguably- his worst season. Brett doesn't like to practice/mentor folks and really is focused on game prep and Sundays.

Is Brett just being lazy - not in a bad way? Football is his life from Aug-Jan (hopefully) - I kinda feel like he's just chilling and letting TT and M3 better evaluate Rodgers as a starter. He'll be back.

Harlan Huckleby
04-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Sitting on Walker will teach him a lesson but ultimately cost the Packers in the end (no value, relationship problems, etc.). Get rid of him if you can!

I agree. I'm not sure there are lessons to be taught or learned, tho. Walker's situation has been unusual the last couple years.

I just wish his contract dispute didn't go public last year, TT should have worked-out an extension in February 2005. I wish Brett Favre hadn't made public statements against Walker. And I wish Thompson and Walker had privately worked-out a trade this offseason. All parties have lost big time with the public posturing.

HarveyWallbangers
04-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Don't get rid of Walker just to get rid of him. Get value or don't trade.

Charles Woodson
04-22-2006, 10:41 AM

Harvey... What would happen if say we didnt trade him, but slapped the franchise tag on him?

Scott Campbell
04-22-2006, 10:42 AM

If Brad Childress was our coach, I'd be looking forward to the glowing tribute he'd pay to Wonderlic on the way out of town - ala Daunte Culpepper.

HarveyWallbangers
04-22-2006, 10:46 AM

Harvey... What would happen if say we didnt trade him, but slapped the franchise tag on him?

Depends what he does this year. If he's a malcontent who plays 6 games and doesn't prove he's back to his old self, it would be stupid to tie up $7-8M/year on him.

Harlan Huckleby
04-22-2006, 10:55 AM
The Franchise Tag threat against Javon Walker is pretty ridiculous. You would first go through another carnival next fall, then give him 10M or so upfront for his next contract, all the while generating publicity projecting G.B. that has to force players to stay there.

All to keep the rights on somebody who doesn't want to play on your team.

TT has only one option - unload Walker to highest bidder.

Bretsky
04-22-2006, 12:28 PM
The Franchise Tag threat against Javon Walker is pretty ridiculous. You would first go through another carnival next fall, then give him 10M or so upfront for his next contract, all the while generating publicity projecting G.B. that has to force players to stay there.

All to keep the rights on somebody who doesn't want to play on your team.

TT has only one option - unload Walker to highest bidder.

It's not ridiculous; if he excels and wants out you franchise him for trade purposes. You then get > than a 2nd rounder.

Fosco33
04-22-2006, 12:46 PM

I didn't mean release him. I said if there was a high trade value offer that it shouldn't be passed up. Given the amount of public loss already, it would be better to get rid of him now (trade) for value.

Harlan Huckleby
04-22-2006, 02:10 PM
It's not ridiculous; if he excels and wants out you franchise him for trade purposes. You then get > than a 2nd rounder.

Do you see Walker excelling as a GB Packer next fall?

Walker's value is not going to be high in 2007 because of two crap years. Franchise tag would likely mean Packers are stuck with malcontent player. Makes no sense. Franchise tag boxes the PAckers in.

Packers need to SEPERATE from Javon Walker, not further entangle themselves. First rule when you find yourself in a hole: stop digging.

Joemailman
04-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Denver and Ashley Lelie seem ready to part ways. A Walker/Lelie trade might make sense. Lelie is inconsistent, but he is a deep threat who can keep opposing defenses honest.

retailguy
04-22-2006, 08:26 PM

Do you see Walker excelling as a GB Packer next fall?

Walker's value is not going to be high in 2007 because of two crap years. Franchise tag would likely mean Packers are stuck with malcontent player. Makes no sense. Franchise tag boxes the PAckers in.

Packers need to SEPERATE from Javon Walker, not further entangle themselves. First rule when you find yourself in a hole: stop digging.

HH,

I disagree. Players are not people in this case, they are "inventory" and have value. You don't give away your inventory. If you do, you don't stay in business very long.

JW has a greater incentive than the Packers to play well in 2006. If he plays "average", he's probably still "worth" the franchise tag to GB. All this B.S. about malcontent is really overrated.

If Walker plays this year for GB, and doesn't get injured, he'll get the tag, even if it is just to protect his trade value. If he doesn't play for GB this year, then I think we'll have THREE second round draft choices, courtesy of the Broncos.

Joemailman
04-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Retailguy,

Are there actually reports of Denver giving us both of their 2nd rounders? If so, TT should take that in an instant.

Rastak
04-22-2006, 08:35 PM

Depends what he does this year. If he's a malcontent who plays 6 games and doesn't prove he's back to his old self, it would be stupid to tie up $7-8M/year on him.

Harvey, I agree 100%. Although I admit I don't have an answer as to what the best course of action is. Franchise sounds pretty stupid at first blush....it's a free 7-8 mil and he can play the same "I'm Hurt" games and collect....shit, he could do that every year and make a damn good living.

retailguy
04-22-2006, 08:39 PM
Retailguy,

Are there actually reports of Denver giving us both of their 2nd rounders? If so, TT should take that in an instant.

Nothing concrete, but that "rumor" has been posted in a couple of places. Basically, as it goes TT had wanted 2 second round picks, and the trade down was to facilitate that by getting another second rounder.

We'll see, I guess, but this sounds more like TT than anything else floating around out there.

b bulldog
04-22-2006, 10:12 PM
Just rumors but my bet is on Denver pulling off the trade.

retailguy
04-22-2006, 10:31 PM
Just rumors but my bet is on Denver pulling off the trade.

Agreed. It sure seems that way, this trade makes sense... from both sides.