PDA

View Full Version : All-Rookie Team

HarveyWallbangers
01-17-2007, 08:47 AM
LB A.J. Hawk, WR Greg Jennings, and OG Daryn Colledge made the team. OG Jason Spitz and P Jon Ryan had to get some consideration, but they were deservedly beat out for the spot.

MadtownPacker
01-17-2007, 08:50 AM
TT, all TT.

esoxx
01-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Youth is served
Trio named to all-rookie team
By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Jan. 16, 2007
Green Bay - For the first time in more than 20 years, three players from the Green Bay Packers have been named to the National Football League's all-rookie team.

Wide receiver Greg Jennings, guard Daryn Colledge and linebacker A.J. Hawk made the league's only recognized all-rookie team, which was selected by writers and editors from Pro Football Weekly and members of the Pro Football Writers of America.

"It's a tribute to those kids and to our team and to the coaching staff, quite frankly," general manager Ted Thompson said. "They were willing to take some young guys and put them in there, and those young men did all right. I think we had some other rookies that did OK."

Based on an analysis of rosters conducted by the Dallas Morning News, the Packers led the NFL in games started by rookie draft choices with 66. Houston was second with 62, followed by Buffalo (58), Oakland (51) and the New York Jets (47).

The Packers also led in number of rookie draft choices who became primary starters (eight games or more) with five, one more than Houston and Buffalo. Hawk started all 16 games, followed by Colledge (15), guard Jason Spitz (13), Jennings (11) and tackle-guard Tony Moll (10).

Linebacker Abdul Hodge made the other start.

In all, 50 of the 256 drafted rookies in the NFL started eight or more games for a combined total of 821 starts. A total of 193 of the 256, or 75.4%, made rosters.

Although records are incomplete, it's entirely possible that the Packers set a club record this season by having five primary rookie starters.

"You'd like to take a batch of rookies and have them sit for a couple years and then play," Thompson said. "But that's just not the way it is in the NFL anymore."

The Saints were the only other team with three selections on the 22-man first team.

Thompson was asked if this had the makings of a team-turning draft.

"I certainly hope it is but it's a little early to say that," he said. "I think when you look back three years from now maybe you can say something like that or at least have a better idea if that's warranted.

"We certainly anticipate a number of these guys being core players for us for a long time. It's up to the coaches and the kids themselves to see how far they go with it."

The last time two Packers were named all-rookie was 1993, with linebacker Wayne Simmons and safety George Teague.

Hawk, who led the team with 155 tackles, joined Houston's DeMeco Ryan and Detroit's Ernie Sims at linebacker. They beat out Cleveland's Kamerion Wimbley, who finished second among all rookies in sacks with 11.

Jennings joined the Saints' Marques Colston at wide receiver. Jennings beat out Pittsburgh's Santonio Holmes, who had slightly more catches (49 to 45) and more receiving yards (824 to 632) than Jennings.

"I think Jennings certainly warranted consideration," Thompson said. "I'm not going to try to compare him to Holmes or anyone else. That's not fair."

Safety Nick Collins, one of Thompson's 11 selections in 2005, made all-rookie last season.

From the Jan. 17, 2007 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

hurleyfan
01-17-2007, 09:59 AM
TT, all TT.

That's how it's done Shermie!!

Cheesehead Craig
01-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Our first 3 picks all made the All-Rookie team. That is a sign of a good draft class. Now they just need to continue their development and potentially get to All-Pro level.

Partial
01-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Any stats on the % of all-rookie players who eventually make the all-pro team?

oregonpackfan
01-17-2007, 10:51 AM
This is a strong way to rebuild a weak team: Made wise choices through the draft. Kudos to TT and his draff staff.

OPF

HarveyWallbangers
01-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Partial needs an avartar.

Cheesehead Craig
01-17-2007, 12:32 PM
Actually, I like it. It's a partial avatar. Get it? Thank you, Thank you! Tip your waitresses and try the veal!

wist43
01-17-2007, 12:45 PM
2006 was a strong draft... TT just needs to find a QB now.

Rodgers can't play... the Packers future looks dismal until they find Brett's "heir apparent".

Partial
01-17-2007, 02:27 PM

he sure does! 8) I'll take it off after tonight!!

MJZiggy
01-17-2007, 02:38 PM
The universe has just twisted in on itself...

red
01-17-2007, 03:05 PM
Colledge is a big surprise to me, it must have been a weak year for rookie o-linemen.

he was benched, shifter around and replased more then a few times this year. he looked ok, but nothing special. i thought spitz looked better most of the time

swede
01-17-2007, 03:12 PM
I suspect that just starting 15 games as a rookie lineman in the NFL is amazing enough to warrant consideration.

Although we had a pretty bad rookie lineman start a number of games a year or two ago. It was a 7th rounder that had to be plugged in--was that Whittacker?

MJZiggy
01-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Especially when he had to switch positions to fill in for injured/sick players.