PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL FAVRE WATCH: DECISION DAY/NEWS/FINALE/PREVIEW

TopHat
01-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Should HOF Brett Favre return for once more into the breach or should BF retire? The fans are voicing their opinions. The overwhelming consensus is, "Brett, please come back. Why wouldn't you come back?"

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=317

Who wants Favre to retire? by Bernie Capasso PackerChatters.com

Not Brett! Here we are again. We all have one more week of football but after the Superbowl many of us in Packer Land have three things to look forward to in the next six or seven months. 1. Who will the Packers pick up in free agency? 2. Who will the Packers acquire in the 2007 Draft? 3. Will Brett Favre play football this year? You can bet, definitely not in that order....

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=555394

Favre has more reasons to stay this time Overall outlook appears brighter By ROB REISCHEL JSOnline.com

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070119/PKR01/701190659/1989

Harlan's gut feeling? Favre will be back Pete Dougherty Packersnews.com

As team Chairman and CEO Bob Harlan waited in the Soldier Field tunnel for the Green Bay Packers' players to pass through after their victorious regular-season finale at Chicago on New Year's Eve, he saw quarterback Brett Favre on the field surrounded by a cluster of reporters. Harlan didn't hear Favre's interview with ESPN's Andrea Kremer, when Favre made an ominous statement that his good play that night made his decision about whether to play in 2007 more difficult. That seemed to imply he was leaning toward retirement. After observing Favre's ordinary behavior in the locker room that night, and even after hearing about the interview a little later that evening and seeing segments on television the next morning, Harlan predicted Favre would return for his 16th season as the Packers' quarterback and 17th in the NFL. Harlan says that remains his gut feeling today, though he hasn't talked to Favre or discussed the issue much with General Manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy....Sources who know Favre say he's going through much the same soul searching as last year, when he weighed his desire to play the game he still loves against enduring yet another arduous offseason and training camp that goes with an NFL season, along with time away from his family. By all accounts, Favre is confident that at 37 he's still playing at a high level, and he has more invested in returning this year after going through the growing pains this past season with two, and often three, rookies on his starting offensive line. He's believed to be excited by those rookies' development last year and potential for the future, and also for the team's overall potential to improve. The team also is more stable after going through a coaching change last year, and he knows he's wanted...."I don't know why," Harlan said of his gut feeling. "I have no other answer than that he's just such a competitor and wants to battle people."

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/posting.php?mode=editpost&p=97766

Why Brett will return by Dave Lawrence PackerChatters.com

OK, so we've read all the reasons why Brett is retiring, we watched him almost do it on national television, he's sold his house and canceled his golf membership. He probably realizes he will never see another Super Bowl while playing in Green Bay and he doesn't have many friends left his age on the team. There's really nothing to suggest he'll return, that's why I thought it's time to list some reasons why he may.
1. Money- As T.O.'s publicist said last year, he's got about 12 million reasons to play another year. Say what you want, we all care about money. If not for us, for our loved ones if we're gone.
2. Performance- Sure his reaction times are a little slower and he'll never scramble like Michael Vick, but he still can do as good a job as most QB's in the NFL, many of which are about half his age. I think he takes pride in that.
3. Records- I know, I know, he said he doesn't care about records. But although I believe him, I think deep, deep down everybody likes the idea of being immortal in some small way. One more season and Brett can set a number of records. I think he's starting to realize that may not be important to him now, but it may be 20-30 years from now.
4. Restlessness- Let me ask you this, do you think Brett watched the playoffs this last week? If so, how many times do you think he said to himself "I can do that!" I'm guessing Brett isn't the type of guy to sit around the house eating chips and watching soap operas. I think that he, Deanna and his daughters know that. I think that he, Deanna and his daughters also know that he'll drive them all absolutely nuts if he retires while he still thinks he can play.
5. He hasn't retired already. Although his past history may suggest otherwise, making this decision is fairly easy once you know in your heart what you have to do. The fact he hasn't done so yet may be an indication his heart isn't there yet.
6. Friends- No, Brett doesn't have a lot of friends playing any more. But I think he feels like many of them can still be playing through him. He's validation that many of them still could be playing if it weren't for injury or other factors outside their control. I also think he realizes how much it helps McCarthy and his career if he comes back, and I think he considers McCarthy more of a friend than he does a coach.
7. Fun- Probably more important than any other reason, I honestly think Brett just loves playing football. He loves the challenge of sneaking a pass into impossible holes, outsmarting the defense and sidestepping a rushing defensive linemen. The cheering crowds, the thrill of victory, the agony of..... well, you know. Bottom line, although his body may be telling him otherwise, I think Brett still feels like he's 25 years old and playing is "Fun".
8. Obligation- We all know Brett doesn't owe any of us anything anymore, he's done more than enough for the NFL, the fans and the team already. But I think that Brett realizes just how important a figure he is to the game itself. Let's face it, it's not the game many of us grew up with anymore, the one where guys played in the elements without face-masks for little, if any, money. It's a business now with very little loyalty or even morality in many ways. But Brett is a throwback to the old days, he plays through pain, loneliness, the elements and even old age because that's what real players do, that's who little kids look up to. I think Irv still talks to him and when he does he tells Brett to do "What's right". And Brett knows him playing is good for a lot of people, and that can't be anything but "right".
Bottom line, do I know Brett is returning, heck no. And if I was a betting man I'd probably have to say I think he's closer to retiring now than he's ever been before. But for the reasons I've listed above, I also think there's a very good chance he'll be back this year.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=115157&ntpid=1

Favre fervor: Almost all want him to return by Jason Wilde WSJ

Brett Favre may not know whether he wants to play a 17th NFL season, but his fans are virtually unanimous: They want him back. Unlike a year ago, when a segment of Packer Nation thought their beloved QB should move on - for his own good and for the good of the team - most fans agree that Favre should postpone retirement for at least one more year. As a result, the talk-show airwaves and online chat forums are calmer than they were last time around. Virtually no one is suggesting the Packers could accelerate their rebuilding project by increasing their free-agency cash flow with a thanks-for-the-memories farewell to Favre, by making 2005 first-round draft pick Aaron Rodgers the starter or by trading Favre to a contending team for some draft picks. All those were points during the sometimes heated debate last offseason. "It's close to unanimous. I'm sure there are a few people left who think it's time (for Favre) to move on and find out if Rodgers can play, but they're probably the same people who eat an ice cream cone from the bottom up," said longtime radio host Steve "The Homer" True, whose "World's Greatest Sports Talk Show" airs in Madison and Milwaukee....

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070104/PKR01/701040595/1989

McCarthy lays it on line, awaits Favre's decision By Pete Dougherty Packersnews.com

The Green Bay Packers are being careful not to set any deadlines for Brett Favre publicly, but coach Mike McCarthy suggested there are several reasons to think Favre's decision on retirement will be nothing like the protracted ordeal it was last year. At his season-ending press conference Wednesday, McCarthy said Favre doesn't want to stretch out his decision. Also, he said Favre isn't facing all the unknowns of last year because of the Packers' coaching changeover and coming off a disastrous 4-12 season. McCarthy and Favre have worked together for a season, and McCarthy, along with General Manager Ted Thompson, met with Favre this week to make their pitch for his return. So unlike last year, when Favre told the Packers at least twice he was going to retire, only to be asked by Thompson and McCarthy to take more time, his initial decision this year likely will be final....

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=113567&ntpid=1

Packers: Message clear - Favre wanted by Jason Wilde Wisconsn State Journal

If Brett Favre doesn't return for a 17th NFL season in 2007, it won't be because the Green Bay Packers weren't crystal clear about their desire to have him be their quarterback for another year. Coach Mike McCarthy, speaking at his end-of-the-year news conference, and general manager Ted Thompson, during an interview later Wednesday afternoon, both said they told Favre in no uncertain terms that the club wants him back next season. "(We) told him what we thought about him as a player - just pure player evaluation, nothing to do with what he's accomplished in the past - and where we thought he was today. And we told him we wanted him back," McCarthy said. "He knows exactly how the organization feels about him." Added Thompson: "We told him we wanted him back. We had a series of chats leading up to the end of the season (because) I wanted to make sure that he knew we wanted him back. I don't think there was any real doubt in his mind, but it's always good to say it." Actually, there might have been some doubt earlier in the year for Favre, who during his biweekly news conference on Dec. 6 again floated the possibility that the team might decide it was time to go with 2005 first-round draft pick Aaron Rodgers as the starter. "You know, the thing I think we're not thinking about is what direction this team wants to go in," Favre said at the time. "I mean, that sounds crazy and I've said that in the past, but who knows? They may say, 'Brett, it's been great, but we may want to go in a different direction.' " But after Favre finished his 15th year as the Packers' starter having completed 343 of 613 passes (56.0 percent) for 3,885 yards, 18 touchdowns and 18 interceptions for a passer rating of 72.7, McCarthy saw plenty to make him want Favre to return. "I don't think that I need to try to convince him. I think Brett has all the information he needs, frankly," McCarthy said. "I think last year there was more questions in the air as far as the new coach, the new staff, the (new) system, the (new) terminology. There's a lot more things he needed to find out about. The unknown is not nearly as much as it was last year, so I think all the facts are on the table." When Favre decided to return for the 2004 season, he made it known before the 2003 season ended, in mid-December. When he decided to return for the 2005 season, he informed then-coach Mike Sherman in mid-March. But when he decided to return this season, he didn't tell the Packers until late April, shortly before the NFL draft....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's why Favre will come back Wisconsin State Journal columnist Tom Oates: "Favre's emotional performance - if he'd shown that much range in 'There's Something About Mary,' he might have had a career in the movies - was convincing enough that many are positive he's thrown his last pass. Don't be so sure, though. After all, we've seen this act before."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Favre's surgery still on hold Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: "Quarterback Brett Favre's ankle surgery remains on hold and no one in the Green Bay Packers organization is saying when or if he'll have it... General manager Ted Thompson said he wasn't reading anything into the delay in the surgery and he didn't think it was related to whether Favre would return next season."
Tears or no, Favre should be back Milwaukee Journal Sentinel columnist Jim Stingl: "This time around I was determined to resist the angst surrounding Brett Favre's future. He is playing great football, so of course he'll be back again next season."
Favre's decision looms large PackersNews.com: "Only Favre knows whether he'll retire — he said he'll probably decide within a couple of weeks — but if he does, it could delay or derail the Packers' progress, depending in part on Rodgers' play."
Favre's teammates say don't jump to conclusions Wisconsin State Journal: "Only 12 hours after their quarterback broke down on national television following their biggest win of the season, Brett Favre's Green Bay Packers teammates were clearing out their lockers just after 10 o'clock Monday morning, wondering the same thing as most of Packer Nation. Will Favre be back next season?"
Favre's farewell fond, if not certain Chicago Tribune columnist Don Pierson: "After his unexpected and tearful apparent goodbye on New Year's Eve, the next Brett Favre question for 2007: Will he unretire?"
Favre's ankle surgery postponed Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: "As they cleaned out their lockers Monday morning, most Green Bay Packers players were under the assumption quarterback Brett Favre was getting ready to have his left ankle operated on. It turned out that they were wrong."
Favre's signals mixed Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: "In a tearful on-field television interview late Sunday night, Favre did almost everything but announce his retirement after 16 NFL seasons as the Green Bay Packers crushed the Chicago Bears, 26-7, at Soldier Field."
Favre's future overshadows superb effort in 26-7 season-ending win over Bears PackersNews.com: "Nevertheless, the Packers' dominating 26-7 win over the Bears, capping a fine finish to the season, was secondary to the question on everyone's mind after the game: Was it quarterback Brett Favre's final NFL game?"
One 4 the road? Wisconsin State Journal: "But the Green Bay Packers legendary quarterback wouldn't say for sure. No, following the Packers' 26-7 victory over the Chicago Bears Sunday night at Soldier Field, he spoke only of ifs."
Favre leaves lasting impression Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: "Brett Favre retire? Why? Many can ask the question but only Favre can answer it, and a for a few brief moments it seemed as if he had."
Tearful Favre: 'What a great way to go out' PackersNews.com: "Packers fans relishing a victory over the much-hated Bears Sunday night were pretty darned sure the victory would mean at least one more season from quarterback Brett Favre. But that was before The Speech. "
Postgame interview appears like farewell for Favre PackersNews.com: "Brett Favre sure sounded like a guy who was saying goodbye. It was not only in his words but in his tears. "
Don't shed a tear: Expect Favre to return PackersNews.com columnist Mike Vandermause: "It's possible Brett Favre played the final game of his illustrious NFL career Sunday night at Soldier Field. Just don't bet on it. "
Should Favre stay or go? PackersNews.com columnist Mike Woods: "If you believed Packers quarterback Brett Favre definitely was coming back for a 17th season, you may want a mulligan."
Favre's stats not those of retiree PackersNews.com columnist Eric Goska: "If Sunday's game was Brett Favre's last, you couldn't tell from the numbers he put up this season. Players as productive as he was in 2006 almost always have returned for another go-round."
Retirement Game getting played out Milwaukee Journal Sentinel by Wolfley: "Absent any real meaning in the outcome of the last game in the National Football League's regular season, television broadcasters reverted to what is now a time-honored tradition to fill the idle minutes. When a game is pointless, when its outcome is irrelevant, play the Brett Favre Retirement Game."
Brett king of hill; Rex rates nil Chicago Sun-Times columnist Jay Mariotti: "It was the night Brett Favre cried, the night he tried to say goodbye and just about did, the night he left us wanting more as a brutal Rex Grossman left us wanting someone else."
While Favre Shows Greatness, Grossman Worries Chicago New York Times: "Green Bay’s 26-7 victory Sunday night at Soldier Field had no playoff ramifications, but the game was significant for both starting quarterbacks. For Favre, the game was potentially historic. For Grossman, it was a nightmare."
Favre won't answer retirement question Chicago Sun-Times: "First, Favre left Bears fans blubbering when he helped expose their team's frightening lack of playoff-bound crispness, completeness and momentum. Then, moments after Green Bay's 26-7 victory was a fait accompli at Soldier Field, Favre himself fought back tears on NBC coast-to-coast when asked if fans had just witnessed his final game."

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

TopHat
01-17-2007, 11:34 AM
http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/posting.php?mode=reply&t=4598

Online petitioners beg Favre to keep playing Green Bay Press-Gazette

Green Bay Packers fans have gone to the Internet to try to convince Brett Favre to return for one more season as quarterback in 2007. They've started at least two online petitions. The larger one, entitled "Brett Favre Cannot Retire This Year," has [4,400] signatures [and growing]. It's at http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/number4/index.html. Part of its plea: "We ask that you come back for just one more year, and take us back to the promised land. ... You, Brett Lorenzo Favre, must come back for one more year and end this chapter of your thrilling career, and make one last run to the Super Bowl." The smaller one, entitled "Brett Favre 07/08," [has 1,100 signatures and growing] at http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Favre0708/index.html. Part of its plea: "We, the Green Bay Packers fans from around the world, would love nothing more than to see Brett return for the 07/08 season and provide one more year of the most exciting football played in the NFL. It will be a sad day when Brett does retire, however, we are not ready for that to happen quite yet!" Favre, 37, said after the Packers' season finale on Dec. 31 that he expected to decide "soon" on whether he'd return for his 16th season as the Packers' quarterback. In 2005, he waited until March 10 to announce his return. Last year, he waited until April 25, four days before the NFL draft, to say he'd be back.

BRING BACK FAVRE PETITIONS:

http://www.dontretirebrett.com/ [01/19/2007 They say, "We are over 3,000 and climbing!"]

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/number4/index.html

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Favre0708/index.html

RELIGIOUS BF ICON:

http://jesusfavre.ytmnd.com/

YOUTUBE TRIBUTES, 20+, including "WE LOVE YOU BRETT...:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u8HAzI63X8Q

YOUTUBE TRIBUTE "BRETT FAVRE RETIRE NO RETIRE":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXn-nzSmtIo&NR

AMERICANPRESS.COM TRIBUTE:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/specials/interactives/_sports/nfl06/favre07/index.html?SITE=LACHA&SECTION=SPECIAL

Green Bay's Brett Favre, Brett Favre's ticket to Canton is all but punched. If he has played his last game, he finishes his career with an NFL record 5,021 pass completions. His 8,223 attempts, 57,500 yards and 414 touchdowns all rank second to Dan Marino's marks of 8,358, 61,361 and 420, respectively.

MadtownPacker
01-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Nice comeback man!

TopHat
01-17-2007, 11:57 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/preview/siexclusive/2006/pr/subs/siexclusive/11/28/nfl.brett.favre1204/index.html?url=http%253A%252F%252Fpremium.si.cnn.c om%252Fpr%252Fsubs2%252Fsiexclusive%252F2006%252Fp r%252Fsubs%252Fsiexclusive%252F11%252F28%252Fnfl.b rett.favre1204%252Findex.html

Huck Finn's Last Ride. By Jeff MacGregor SI

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0701/gallery.nfl.favremoments2/content.1.html

Brett Favre's 10 Greatest Moments

TopHat
01-17-2007, 12:31 PM
1. Cliff Christl at Packer Insider, JSOnline, says, "It's just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if he retired. I think he felt like he accomplished something this past season. Being the competitor he is, I think it would have been tougher for him to walk away last year."

2. According to JA and inside sources, Favre is coming back for one more year or maybe two years. BF is pleased with the direction of the young team and ol. Management has informed him that they are looking for upgrades in the offensive areas of WR, TE, and RB etc.

3. According to Ben Maller, Sterling Sharpe doesn't think Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre will play again: "I just watched him walk off the field the last game he played in Lambeau, which was the Minnesota game on NFL Network. He really was saying...it looked really like he was saying goodbye." Sharpe told his view to radio host Steve Czaban.

4. John Clayton, NFL Today on ESPN, reported that Favre is deciding whether he should commit to more than one season. The fact he put off his surgery is a good sign that he might return beyond '07.

5. http://www.todaystmj4.com/_content/news/topstories/story_6418.asp

If Favre Decided Today... by Jenn Rourke TMJ4

A source close to the Favre family says that if Brett Favre had to make a decision [then] regarding his future in the NFL, he would choose retirement. But, the source said Favre would hold off on a firm decision until sometime around Super Bowl weekend. The news comes as Favre apparently was leaving Green Bay without the ankle surgery he was scheduled to undergo Monday. And Packers coach Mike McCarthy seemed to think that the three-time most valuable player might once again skip the procedure entirely. McCarthy said Friday he originally thought Favre was going to have the surgery as scheduled, but, quote, "I guess this is year seven in a row that he has not gone through with it." McCarthy said Favre was scheduled to leave town Friday. McCarthy said Favre has been playing with a sore ankle for seven years, and the injury is more of a nuisance than anything else. Regarding Favre's decision on whether to return to the Packers next season, McCarthy said he and Green Bay general manager Ted Thompson met with the quarterback and told him the team wants him back. McCarthy said the Packers didn't give Favre a timeline for making his decision.

red
01-17-2007, 12:48 PM
this should hit any day now

he said " acouple of weeks", which was up 2 days ago

i will say what others have said, the longer it takes the better. because the news was very grim from some of the family right after the game

TopHat
01-17-2007, 03:28 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=552842

GM, coach take no breaks Thompson, McCarthy start it up again by Rick Braun JSOnline.com Packer Plus

...Simply put, the Packers did show improvement. But they're not good enough to yet compete with the elite. Their 1-6 record against teams with winning records is evidence of that, and the one victory came in the finale against a Chicago team that had nothing to play for. So as Thompson and McCarthy sit down, here are some of the areas they'll probably be satisfied with and some of the areas they'll know need to be addressed in either the draft or free agency....If Thompson can effectively fill those needs, 2007 could see the Packers return to the playoffs. And, of course, Favre's return would also play a big part in that.

TopHat
01-17-2007, 04:05 PM
http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=607104&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fpackers.scout.com%2f2%2f 607104.html

A 'fore' warning to retirement? by Todd Korth PackerReport

...Green Bay Packers fans shouldn't read too much into Brett Favre's decision to drop his country club membership in Green Bay. Late last week, word around Green Bay leaked out to the media that Brett Favre did not renew his membership to the Oneida Golf & Country Club in Green Bay. For all those who think that it’s another sign that Favre will not return to the Packers in 2007, think again. For a time in the early to mid-1990s when Favre was on a team with many players his age, he would golf a lot at different courses in the Green Bay area. However, in recent seasons, the word from people who work at those same golf courses say Favre rarely swings the sticks. In fact, Favre is more likely to go hunting than play golf, according to those who a closer to Favre than most of us. Favre eventually will retire from football, but just because he did not renew his pricey golf membership shouldn’t be taken as a strong indicator that he plans to walk away from football. “It's an expensive club,” Packers CEO Bob Harlan recently told the Green Bay Press-Gazette. “I don't care how much money you're making, it's very expensive, and if you're not using it, it doesn't make a lot of sense, and I think that's what happened to Brett. "I've heard he doesn't play at home (in Mississippi) anymore, either," Harlan said. "I've heard it's not all that important to him all at once." Favre and his wife, Deanna, have sold their million-dollar home in Green Bay for a smaller, more modestly-priced home not far from Lambeau Field. The day will come when they will put that house on the market, too, and live in Mississippi year-round. Favre definitely is taking steps toward stepping away from the Packers and football, but nothing he cannot live without by playing another one or two years.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=608625&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fpackers.scout.com%2f2%2f 608625.html

The real reason why Favre will return By Matt Tevsh PackerReport

PackerReport.com's Matt Tevsh has his own theory, which is different from most, on why Brett Favre will return to play for the Packers in 2007.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=607104&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fpackers.scout.com%2f2%2f 607104.html

Why Favre will return by Fox PackerReport.com

Love of the game, competition, and family support among the reasons.

TopHat
01-17-2007, 05:01 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/index/index.aspx?id=44

1. Christl: Favre is greatest Packer.

2. MICHAEL HUNT: This time, Favre needs to return.

3. RICHARD PUFALL: Family matters, but so does playing.

TopHat
01-18-2007, 10:16 AM
http://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/begels10packers.html

Begel's best Packers of all time By Dave Begel

With Brett Favre near the end of his career, Mark Belling had an interesting hour on his show the other day. Now, I know it may come as a surprise that I listen to Belling, but I think he and Charlie Sykes really understand how to do popular radio shows, even though I never agree with either of them. But Belling started out with a Favre vs. Bart Starr debate, and it expanded into a discussion of the top 10 all-time great Green Bay Packers. What it amounted to is a discussion of who were the best players. That took number of championships out of the equation. This discussion was based on skill. So, I went to the memory bank and came up with my own list. And I made a decision about the Starr-Favre debate. You're welcome to agree, disagree or anything in between.
1. Don Hutson. The player who is credited with inventing the pass pattern. You wonder where today's game would be without Hutson's contributions. Simply put, he was the greatest receiver the Packers ever had and maybe the best in the history of pro football. He played at a time when the forward pass was just coming into fancy, and the numbers he put up are astounding.
2. Brett Favre. Nobody has thrown more passes. Nobody has thrown more passes in a season. Despite the precision passing game of Starr's Packers, Favre has the top four highest completion percentages for a season in the Packer record book. Plus his exuberance and style give him an edge.
3. Bart Starr. Starr was the extension of Vince Lombardi on the field. They had absolutely the same vision and plan of the game and Starr was like a surgeon in the execution of that plan. He didn't have a great arm or flair, but he was very, very smart as a player and always seemed to know how best to exploit the weakness of the defense.
4. Jim Taylor. Nobody epitomized the greatest years of the team than Taylor, the hard-nosed fullback from Louisiana. Taylor teamed with Paul Hornung to give the Packers a ground game that beat defenses with execution. He once said, "They know what we are doing but they still can't stop us." When you think of Lombardi's Packers, Taylor is the player you think of first. Taylor was the first of the Lombardi Packers named to the Hall of Fame.
5. Ray Nitschke. He's just behind Taylor as the emblem of the Packers under Lombardi. A fierce tackler, he changed the way middle linebacker was played in the NFL, blitzing almost at will and covering the field from side to side. The fact that he was a jerk who once tried to throw me into a swimming pool when he was drunk doesn't keep me from admiring his dominance as a player.
6. James Lofton. This may seem a little like a surprising choice, but Lofton labored with some horrible Packers teams and still was one of the best receivers in the league. He had great speed, toughness, soft hands and a desire that was unstoppable. Plus he was one of the most courageous athletes I've ever seen, playing with injuries that would have sidelined many other players. He and Favre share the same kind of toughness.
7. Tony Canadeo. The epitome of the all-around player, Canadeo was a runner, passer, pass receiver, punter, return man and defender. He was the first Packer to rush for more than 1,000 yards. After retiring in 1952 he was a classy and integral part of the Packers Board of Directors.
8. Reggie White. Even though he was only a Packer for a few years, there are not many players who had the skills he had. He was a ferocious pass rusher and stout against the run. He was so good that offensive coordinators designed schemes to keep him out of the action.
9. Paul Hornung. The face of perhaps the most single famous playbook play in history, the vaunted Packer sweep. You can close your eyes and see Kramer and Thurston leading Hornung around right end. The fact that he scored touchdowns and kicked field goals and extra points is an amazing feat. He's been retired for almost four decades and still holds the NFL record for points in one season.
10. Willie Davis. Again, maybe a slightly curious choice, but he was the face of one of the best defensive lines of all-time. With Lionel Aldredge, Henry Jordan and Dave Hanner, this line was awesome. Davis was one of the smartest football players in Packer history and was the first thinking defensive end in the league. That's my list. And let me repeat, Favre gets the nod over Starr.

TOP HAT'S FOOTNOTE: MAYBE. MOST PLAYERS FROM STARR'S ERA.

TopHat
01-18-2007, 03:34 PM
http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=291

NFL Rumblings/Rumors Joe Arrigo PackerChatters.COM

...The Packers want to lock up Cullen Jenkins and Corey Williams long term. Look for deals with them to happen before the free agent signing period starts. Brett Favre has told friends close to him that he will make an announcement before the Super Bowl regarding his future in the NFL....

MJZiggy
01-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Well then so much for my announcement date prediction of 2 days AFTER the SB...!

TopHat
01-18-2007, 08:57 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/preview/siexclusive/2006/pr/subs/siexclusive/11/28/nfl.brett.favre1204/index.html?url=http%253A%252F%252Fpremium.si.cnn.c om%252Fpr%252Fsubs2%252Fsiexclusive%252F2006%252Fp r%252Fsubs%252Fsiexclusive%252F11%252F28%252Fnfl.b rett.favre1204%252Findex.html

Huck Finn's Last Ride. By Jeff MacGregor SI November 28, 2006

For 15 years Brett Favre has been the NFL’s answer to Mark Twain’s barefoot scamp – forever young and reckless. But nothing lasts forever, and the chattering heads think it’s time for him to retire. Pray that they’re wrong. Go north, to what seems the farthest reach of America, the topmost latitude of the world. It isn’t, but it can feel that way, even in the hot dazzle of high summer. Roll past the dairy barns red as bud roses and the storybook milk cows spattered black and white, and the U-Pik strawberry Â*patches and the outlet-store billboards, and the hills swelling soft beneath them all. Drive north to Green Bay. That this is not the northernmost home of American professional football is Â*merely geographical fact. In our mythology it remains the Fortress of Solitude—frozen in its ancient fame and its lonely arctic greatness—the holiest, most remote outpost in the NFL. Lambeau Field, the city’s heart and the first thing you see as you cross the Fox River, looms huge above the bridges and the tree line and the tidy homes strung along the tidy sidewalks. In late July of a new football season the noise of joy and human struggle fills these streets. Before you’ve even parked the car, you’ll hear and feel the grunt and thud and the cheering. Packers training camp is under way. This little town, so distant from so many of us that it feels set at the edge of the world—as all small places not our own must—has again become the center of something. The practice field is just across from the stadium. There are hundreds of people here, families in from Appleton, Eau Claire, Racine and Fish Creek, Manitowoc and Wausau and Waukesha, the mothers and fathers and sons and daughters of Wisconsin standing five deep in the summer funk. On the field is the football team, scores of young men sweating and swearing and thundering back and forth in their iridescent green and gold. One of them stands at midfield, lofting passes with an easy motion and a rhythm like received grace. Each ball cuts a long, sharp arc through the air. “That’s it!” yells a woman as the footballs rise and fall. “Way to throw!” She yells this to the man most of them have come to see, and on whom their season, and their psychic fortunes, will rise or fall. He is slender in the fat shadows of the bellies and bull necks around him, slight and nearly boyish. With his three-Â*quarter-length pants and low-cut socks and his shoes hidden in that deep grass, he appears to be playing barefoot. From the sideline the close-cropped hair still looks blond, and the freckled right arm is still loose and strong, and the smile and the smirk still say, “All right, then, I’ll go to hell.” Thus, with every attribute in place but the bamboo fishin’ pole, here is the NFL quarterback rendered as Huck Finn grown. To read the dour columnists this year, though, Huckleberry should be taking his first snap under center this season from the comfort and safety of his Medicare-approved personal Â*scooter. Candy-apple red, perhaps, with a handlebar shopping basket, a bicycle bell, and an AARP bumper sticker that reads: I brake for grandchildren. Because, they say, Brett Favre—Huck Finn grown and now grown old—Â*shouldn’t be playing football. Our heroes must never grow old. And yet here he is. The Bipolar Romantic Disorder gripping Wisconsin could be described thusly: We love Brett. But we love him in inverse proportion to the number of INTs he throws. We love him, but not at the expense of rebuilding the program. We love Brett, but not at the risk of another 4–12 season. We love him, but this is Titletown, U.S.A., after all. Business is business. They’d all be heartbroken if he left them, of course; he’s one of the best there ever was. He has brought them a decade and a half of winning, of honor and glory, of Â*mostly wholesome excitement and family thrills and civic pride. A Super Bowl trophy. Three MVP awards. But that 4–12 season in 2005 was heartbreak of a kind too. And, well, sort of embarrassing. So through the impatient winter and spring, wrestling the notion of retirement, he was cursed by anyone with a microÂ*phone or a keyboard for being, like Hamlet, indecisive or half mad; or worse, of feigning indecision or madness in service only of his own selfishness. Still others saw him as Lear, an aging king wandering the wilderness, trying desperately to remember whom and what he really loved; and who and what loved him in return. To interview Brett Favre in the basement at Lambeau is to sit awhile face-to-face with the phenomenon of American celebrity. There is the private person, of course, and there is the public persona. Often enough these two are utter opposites, even when each can fit the other like a second skin. Favre is, though, as he appears. In the chair across the table is a young man. Thirty-six, soon to be 37, he is certainly young, except as measured by the accelerated standards of professional sports. By the harsh arithmetic of the NFL, Favre is Methuselah. Off the field and out of the shadows of those double-wide linemen, he is, at last, large. Tall and broad, he is also gray-haired. He is wearing a forest green T-shirt, baggy gold shorts and flip-flops. On one thick wrist he wears a large dive watch. He sits back in his chair, relaxed but a little wary, alert, summer tan and easy in his body and ready to field questions. Never having seen him before, one might reasonably conclude that Favre was at a job interview for the position of assistant scuba instructor on a cruise ship. Upstairs, though, in the Lambeau Field Atrium, a cathedral of memory and commerce, the fans wander the shops and restaurants reverent as acolytes, knowing to their bones who and what Brett Favre is. They buy his autobiography and his autograph, his cookbook and his bobblehead with authentic game day stubble. They buy his jersey and his jacket and his pint-sized souvenir helmet. At Brett Favre’s Two Minute Grill, they buy his cheeseburgers. And as the video highlights unspool on the monitors hung from the ceiling, they tip their heads back, still chewing, and stare at his great moments on the field as if watching an eclipse. He is already memorialized, enshrined even as he sweats and groans through two-a-days. Q: There has to be a point for an older player, during the first couple of weeks of camp, when you’re shaking the rust off, and your passes are two feet too far or two feet short, that you ask yourself, Is this the new me, is this the new reality? A: Yeah—Is this the beginning of the end? I hear that all the time. When you’ve played 16 years you know that it’s just a matter of time before arm strength, or your legs, give out. You’re always wondering.... I come into camp now, my mind’s still telling me I can make that throw. But will my body tell me that? My game’s always been about throwing from awkward positions and making throws that other people wouldn’t make. He pauses. “And if I can’t do that, I can’t play.” Whenever Favre jogs onto the practice field with that delicate, slightly pigeon-toed gait, he looks like a man with a stone in his shoe. After starting 241 consecutive NFL games, he is as well-conditioned as he’s ever been, but he carries forward all the antique injuries, the catalog of his mortifications: right side, left side, top, bottom, feet, ankles, knees, hands, shoulders, hips, ribs, arms—sprained, sprung, pulled, bruised, broken, separated, cracked, torn, cut, shattered. Annually, if mostly Â*lightly, concussed. By lore and acclamation, the toughest man in the game. Having admitted in 1996 that he was addicted to painkillers, it might take him a while longer to realize that what he may be addicted to is pain. On Family Night at Lambeau, Aug. 5, more than 60,000 fans turn out to sizzle the brats and watch an intrasquad scrimmage. The Packers look good. But then, they’re only playing the Packers. Against his teammates, firing left, right and center, long and short, Brett Favre looks like himself. But is he? Against other teams, ominously, he goes 1–3 in the preseason. First game of the regular season, home at Lambeau against the Bears, and the stadium is ringed with the tailgating faithful. Inside, as part of the pregame ceremony, Reggie White’s name is unveiled, to great cheers, on the stadium’s upper deck. To lesser cheering are then introduced some members of the Packers’ 1996 Super Bowl–winning team. Don Beebe receives a polite round of applause. Mark Chmura is politely, but roundly, booed. Across the field, standing with his arms folded, as if waiting for a bus, is Brett Favre. He played with these guys. But rather than standing with them now in Dockers and sport shirts, 10 or 15 or 50 pounds overweight and looking forward to a Leinenkugel in the stands, he’s trying to calculate the likelihood 20 minutes hence of Brian Urlacher’s snapping his spine. The Bears are introduced to a chorus of well-mannered Lutheran booing. Nobody knows yet how good Chicago is, but before the jet exhaust from the F-18 flyover has cleared, the Bears score an easy touchdown on a 49-yard pass. Now they know. The hallmark moment for the Packers comes when Favre’s center steps on Favre’s foot and flattens him. Things get no better. Final, 26–0 Bears. The Packers’ first home shutout in more than 15 years. At the postgame press conference, rookie Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy is asked if at any point he thought about pulling Favre for young Aaron Rodgers, the backup. “I didn’t consider Rodgers,” says McCarthy, his face sour, his answer final. Favre isn’t even out of the shower yet, and the columnists are agitating for a coup. Ten minutes later, Favre arrives. His hands on the podium are as raw and red as a fishmonger’s. “I was optimistic,” he says. “I thought we might surprise a lot of people.” He looks to the back of the room, and beyond it. “We can do better than that,” he says. But his eyes say he isn’t sure. The next week at Lambeau, the Saints roll in. Again, no one is sure how good they might be. For the game’s first 15 minutes they are awful, and the Packers take a 13–0 lead. Thereafter, however, the Packers ease themselves, mistake by mistake, out of the game. Later, in a sullen locker room, Favre says, “We’ve got to find ways not to lose.” On Internet message boards, posts like this begin to appear: Jury’s in. Favre’s out. But the truth, as ever, is more complicated. Favre, still mobile, smart and strong, is playing well enough to rank mid-pack among big-name quarterbacks. Surrounded by inexperience and playing behind an offensive line that starts three rookies most weeks, he is, by the hard evidence of the numbers, outplaying press box favorites like Vick, Roethlisberger, McNair, Plummer and Manning the Younger. Week 3 sends Green Bay to Detroit. Favre arrives at his team’s fancy hotel wearing a striped sport shirt, baggy khaki pants and scuffed walking shoes. Had he not stepped off the team bus, hotel management might have thought he’d come to skim the pool. Over one shoulder he totes a battered canvas bag. In that small olive-drab duffel are hunting magazines and crossword puzzles sufficient to thwart boredom until game time. His pregame meal is already on its way up to his room. Cheeseburger. Fries. Q: Is it tough being on such a young team? A: There was a time when I thought, I’ll play forever. This game’s easy. What are they worried about? Why study this play if I won’t ever run it? But sure enough, you run it. And so you learn to expect the unexpected. Be ready for any situation. It’s never as good as it looks; it’s never as bad as it seems. That said, I don’t know if we’re good enough, right now, to win a lot of games. Some people say, ‘Hey, in a couple of years, this team....’ Well, I’ll probably be cutting the grass by then. Q: What about the rumors you’ll be traded? A: There are those who say, ‘He shouldn’t have come back. Serves him right they’re losing. He knew what he was getting into,’ and those who say, ‘I wish he’d get with a good team and finish out his career right.’ And I guess there’s a third take too, of those who just don’t give a s---. All three, I guess, are fair. You know it’s game day in Detroit when the hometown fans pissing in the alley behind the old JL Stone Company building turn their backs politely to the boulevard. Just up Brush Street at Ford Field, the Packers are trading sucker punches with the Lions. Learning a new system, a new offense, Favre has new reads and new checkdowns and new routes and new teammates and a new head coach. There are rookies colliding everywhere around him and strange new diagrams from the immense playbook running together in his head and unlined faces of players he hardly knows looking back at him for the ball. There are moments in the pocket when it’s easy to see his frustration. Seven-step drop, quick, but then his feet stop moving and he stands briefly flat-footed. Who are these people? Then a short pump fake, a shake of his head—This has to be wrong, doesn’t it?—then the throw, almost angry, a recrimination, to a stranger running to the wrong spot at the wrong time. Walking back to the huddle, he’s still shaking his head. Was that him or me? he wonders. And moments, too, like this: Favre drops back into a collapsing pocket, chaos everywhere around him, and sets up. Up on the balls of his feet, he stands very still while the noise and the violence grasp at him, then steps forward into a long throw. The ball sails and hangs and lands without a sound in the hands of rookie wide receiver Greg Jennings. He goes 75 yards for a touchdown, and hope gains a few yards on reality. Favre runs the length of the field to gather him up. It is Favre’s 400th career TD pass. Most of the second half looks like a pickup game. Over an afternoon riddled with bad choices and bad bounces, Green Bay clings to a thin victory, 31–24. “It’s just great winning,” Favre says outside a locker room smelling of Seabreeze and baby powder, and looks like he means it. “It’s a hell of a lot easier to lose a game than it is to win it. We gotta find ways to end these games. But, man, that was fun.” Then Philadelphia. A Monday night game, and down below the press box Eagles fans warm up by shouting pregame obscenities at ESPN’s pregame broadcast team. As the sun sets, Philly’s trademark vibe of imminent weirdness sets in. The home team comes pouring out through the inflatable Levitra tunnel for its introduction. For the first half, it’s mostly Packers. Favre is 15 of 26 for 126 yards. Five minutes into the third quarter, though, the momentum shifts. There is no tipping point, no clear instant in which the worm turns. The Eagles simply score 24 unanswered points and win going away. With 6:19 to play Favre gets planted hard and hobbles off with a shoulder stinger and a ringing head. “Man, that was a rough one,” he says 20 minutes later. “I’ve got a splitting headache. I just need to get in bed and get some rest.” In another too-quiet clubhouse, this one smelling of wintergreen and wet feet, he leans against a wall. He eats a hot dog. He keeps his back to the room. Questions, sound bites and sentence fragments float past him on the steam from the showers, the damp postgame catechism: “What happened out there?” “They just made some plays....” “Talk about what you do now....” “This team’s gonna do well this year....” “ ... game like that, you’ve got to be able to finish....” “ ... sure I made a mistake or two.” Favre turns, still bleary, to survey the scene. The room, and his thoughts, are slightly out of focus. His bell has been rung, hard, tolling another game played, another battle fought and lost, another step toward the end of things. He sits gingerly on the edge of his locker. He bends but can’t reach to tie his shoes. He sits up slowly, waits, then puts his hands to his knees and pushes himself upright. He wobbles there a second. After midnight, laces flapping, he shuffles into the trainer’s room. In this age of corporate quarterbacking, wherein all directives come down from the head office, and the position is really no sexier or more autonomous than that of a regional operations manager, Favre remains a “gunslinger.” No Green Bay offensive series of more than four or five plays can be broadcast on television without the use of that word. “He’s always been a gunslinger,” the announcer will say after Favre completes another 27-yard slingshot off his back foot among four converging defenders, or launches a ball into the third row of seats. An evocative signifier of Old West courage, swagger, improvisation and marksmanship, gunslinger also implies a sort of willful and counterproductive recklessness. In an era of quarterbacks praised for their clock-management skills and their low-key willingness to meet the weekly yardage quota nine feet at a time, it’s a compliment that takes away as much as it gives. Swashbuckler is another chestnut of the broadcast booth. In fact, the nature and number of clichés Favre attracts would make for a potent drinking game. And since he himself has long since sworn off, hoist a few in his honor. Drink a shot of redeye when you hear gunslinger. A dram of rum for swashbuckler. A glass of wine whenever an announcer uses the phrase vintage Favre. Drink a mug of Ovaltine when you hear He looks like a kid out there. Chug whenever you hear He’s just trying to make something happen or He threw that one off his back foot. And if you’re a Packers fan, drink a double shot and turn off the television when you hear He tried to force that one in there. St. Louis beats the Packers the following Sunday. A bad loss. In the last minute the Green Bay pocket collapses deep in Rams territory, and the ball is batted from Favre’s hand. This is variously described by the sporting press as a “backside containment failure” or a “Favre fumble.” He walks off the field shaking his head. And so another love note to Favre from the Internet, the endless electronic American id: Knowing the team is so bad, why bother coming back? Is it ego or stupidity? The Packers’ bye week at last arrives. Favre visits Hattiesburg, Miss., to watch his eldest daughter, Brittany, a senior at Oak Grove High, play in a regional volleyball tournament. He spends most of the rest of his free time in a tree stand far out in the Wisconsin woods. The leaves fall and the deer come and go beneath him while he sits in solitude. His wife, Deanna, and his younger daughter, Breleigh, have errands to run, however, and plenty to do. Even in the midst of such a titanic struggle as an NFL season and the losing campaign against time itself, there’s school and the grocery shopping and, on a rainy autumn afternoon, gym class. Deanna Favre, tough, beautiful and practical, waits in the car while Breleigh tumbles and cartwheels. She keeps her hands on the wheel while talking about the decision that led them all back to Green Bay for another year. Q: How has this fall been for you, watching the Packers play? A: It’s been a little bit difficult, because I’ve been with Brett for so long, and we’re used to winning. Last year and this year have been stressful, seeing how frustrated he is from the lack of wins. Q: Any second thoughts about his playing this year? A: I think I’ve changed my mind as many times as he has. But in his heart he still wanted to play, and still believed he could. Q: Is he having fun? A: He has his moments. Q: Does the criticism of him bother you? A: I do take it personally. Breleigh’s in the second grade; kids come up to her at school and say, ‘Your dad stinks! The Packers stink!’ She comes home crying. Brittany, the day after the New Orleans game, walked into one of her classes and the teacher—the whole class is sitting there, the bell rings, it’s quiet—looks at Brittany and says, ‘Must be pretty bad if you let the Saints beat you.’ Hello? The Favre’s live in a nice house in a nice suburb a few minutes from the stadium. Nothing special. Could be anybody living behind those pale bricks. Banker, lawyer, regional operations manager. And it is somehow heartwarming to see that neighborhood teenagers, in the runup to Halloween, or as a pointed comment on the season to date, have TP’d the tree in the Favres’ front yard. In Week 7 it’s a win at Miami, so surprising and joyful that after one touchdown Favre hoists wide receiver Donald Driver over his shoulder. And a week later, a win that surprises no one, at home against the Cardinals. Then a loss to woeful Buffalo, away, followed by a win against the Vikings indoors at the Hump. Down in the Packers’ locker room, as stylish and contemporary and transient-seeming as any first-class lounge at the Copenhagen airport, and where the Dupont Registry yacht catalogs sit side by side with the backgammon boards and the balls of discarded ankle tapes, they rally each week around Favre. Driver, who has played eight seasons with the Packers, many as the marquee wingman in Favre’s flying circus, distills the ideal of teamwork to its earnest essence when asked if he and Favre are, after all the yards and all the years, friends. “No,” he says empathically. “We’re brothers.” Then it’s the Patriots and another bad shutout at home. Favre goes out for the first time this year, with ulnar nerve damage to his throwing elbow. In other words, insult to injury, a hard shot to the funny bone. It was a game no one expected the Packers to win, but still. So Favre, indestructible, and poised to break almost every career passing record in football, headed into the Monday-night game against Seattle with 2,368 passing yards, 13 TDs and seven interceptions. Playing in accord with the tip sheets, Seattle wins. Now 4–7 with five to play, there are hints and glimmers of the solid team they might one day become. And while their teeter-totter inconsistency is evident and their youthful progress slow, the ambivalence of Green Bay fans to their mythic quarterback hardens and softens from day to day and series to series and play to play. They can’t bear to see him go. Nor can they bear to see him falter. The Packers’ record is fittingly ambiguous in a season this crazy, in which none of the experts have been able to predict a thing. The Packers are a little better than anyone gave them credit for being. Only the talking-head handicappers and the Hawaiian-shirt radio talkers seem disappointed that they aren’t better. Or worse. The rest of us, like Brett Favre, try to take our joy in the play. The story of Favre’s incomplete pass at retirement this off-Â*season, and the upset, confusion and outrage it caused among so many strangers has, for the most part, come and gone, overtaken by other, more urgent quarterback controversies. But that story will return, told in the same unforgiving way, in the next season or the next or the next. Because the story of Brett Favre’s end was never just about him. It is about us. We need our heroes and household gods forever young, forever strong, forever smart or beautiful. Because we ourselves are not. The end of an elite athlete’s career at 25 or 35 or 40 mirrors too perfectly the diminishments and compromises we will see all too well in ourselves at 55 or 65 or 70. The aches and pains and confusion, the missteps, the injury and illness and loss, the memories flown and the flowering of cowardice in the face of uncertainty, all the greatness so far behind you. Young poets mock the inexorable unwinding of time, until, if they’re lucky, they become old poets. Old poets are smart enough to mock only themselves. Because maybe worse than bad eyes, bad ears, bad back, bad hair, bad heart, is bad faith. Doubt. The delicate stress fracture of the will and the hairline crack along the backbone. Do I dare to eat a peach? Mettle fatigue. This is how you calibrate your own descent, in the sad calculus of who you once were, but can never be again. Which is why the images of Unitas at the end, or Namath, or Ali or Joe Louis, or any of hundreds and hundreds of others, were too much for us. Not because we couldn’t muster sufficient sympathy, but because we had altogether too much Â*empathy. To see their sad end warned us too vividly of our own. And now America is angry at Huck Finn for going gray. And for reminding us, yet again, of our own mortality. There will come a time when Brett Favre can no longer play. This is not that time.
But at the end of this season—or the next or the next or the next—he will step away at last, having earned the peace of an endless off-season. The cold and the snow will overtake Green Bay, and the stadium at this edge of the world will stand empty behind us, the last thing we see in the rear-view mirror as we cross that river, the light at last failing in the trees. But until that moment, Brett Favre will be throwing, in a way, for us all. Throwing hope forward, in a single clean step or with a motion as rushed and awkward as man falling out of the tub, as hurried and off-balance as the rest of us. Banking on the past while trying to read a second or two into his future, drilling clean arcs on our behalf into the weakening light and the rising odds, every stand he makes in the pocket another little long shot fired against the infinite and inevitable. Every throw a moment for hope, a defiant line, bright in the air, against chaos and diminishment and the final goodbye.

TopHat
01-19-2007, 12:20 PM
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

TopHat
01-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Brett Favre the player: Still the best QB we have. Yeah, records and all that are nice but neither brett nor the fans could care less about records when it comes to him returning or not. We definitely want Brett to return. Rodgers is ready now, but Brett is a god. Brett Favre the person: He is a family member to each Packer fan. Brett is a hero. We cry when brett cries, we hurt when brett hurts, we give our wide receivers body slams when brett gives his wide receivers body slams. There will never be another Brett Favre.

Favre is vital to this team. Right now, yes he gives us the best chance to win. However what Favre is doing for this team will be known in the future. Favre is developing a young offense with many new pieces, and more coming up in April. He is helping them establish their mark in the NFL, and giving them veteran support so they wouldn't have to struggle with a rookie starting QB. In a sense, he is developing the Packers talent, and when Rodgers takes over, the entire offense won't be lost, because the WRs, OL, and RB, will support him, and give him an enviroment where he has a chance to thrive. Moral of the story, anyone who says Favre should retire is crazy.

Brett , as true Packer backers, my family and I feel so fortunate to have had so many years of Sunday football watching one of the great warriors the game has ever seen. Although I feel secure in my manhood I have to tell you I cried like a baby after the Bears postgame interview because I can only imagine how tough your decision must be. I just want to say thanks for the memories ( 2 Super Bowls) and one heck of an exciting ride. In closing there would be one huge collective sigh of relief in my household if in fact you do see your way clear to come back and play a couple more years or longer. Even though your legacy is well in tact, I personally beleive there is some unfinished business to take care of, namely another Super Bowl ring and a fitting ride off into the sunset wtih your rightful ownership of every QB record out there. Please come back and give us something to look forward to!

I'm a Packer fan by birth. Our family has had season tickets for nearly 50 years and I look forward to using them in order to watch you lead the team through one more exciting year of NFL football. We've left Milwaukee and now reside in Santa Fe, New Mexico. You won't believe how many Packer/Favre fans reside this far from home. Regards to you and your family for a lovely and restful off-season.

Brett: We love you and thank you for everything you have done. Please continue to steer our ship - you are the best and you still have so very much to give. You're not ready to retire and we are not ready to see you retire!! You love the game as much as we love you. Please let us be the ones to say "Good-Bye" and not the Bear Fans. Thanks to your family also for sharing you with us. Thanks to you for being our hero!

TopHat
01-20-2007, 07:55 AM
FORTHCOMING: TOP HAT'S EDITORIAL ABOUT BF'S PERSPECTIVE & THE PREDICTION

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

GrnBay007
01-20-2007, 03:19 PM
FORTHCOMING: TOP HAT'S EDITORIAL ABOUT BF'S PERSPECTIVE & THE PREDICTION

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

......waiting. :D

TopHat
01-21-2007, 11:17 PM
Brett must return. I am a huge cheese-head despite living in Chicago. I even get mad every time anyone says that Rex is like Brett, he's not. Brett is the greatest to ever play the game and I would love to see him for one more year. The NFL isn't ready for the retirement of Farve.

Brett Favre is the reason I have such a passion for football! There is not anyone else in the game with his skill, passion, and incredible sportsmanship! Please come back more year so that I can realize my dream and travel from California to see you play in Lambeau!

Brett, As a lifelong Packer fan, it has been an honor to watch you play. I have been blessed to see you play in person in Minneapolis, my hometown. There has never been and will never be another Brett Favre! You are more than just a hero to Packer fans; you are a hero to NFL fans! You have proven time and again that you are still one of the best in the game. I will admit that I am not ready to watch the Green Bay Packers without #4! Please Brett...just one more year!

Hey Brett! Please come back. I want to say that I've always been a Packers fan before a Bengalis fan living in Dayton, Ohio. Please come back to create more memories for us fans. Ask A.J. Hawk about the Centerville Elks. That's were Scott Harper cut his football teeth too. It is fate Brett. You are to keep playing with Centerville Elk football players. It is all connected like that. See ya this upcoming season in the Super Bowl baby!

Brett, You are the best ever to play at the position of QB. You will make me along with all other Packer and Brett Favre fans the happiest people around when you come back and play some more football. You easily have at least 3 more years of football in you. You know you want to come back. Be a little selfish and just tell your family your coming back to play a few more years and make the Packer nation happy. SO COME BACK AND PLAY TO YOUR HEART'S CONTENT. The team is almost there and will bring you another Super Bowl victory. Brett, COME BACK!

I do not request that Brett play one more year. I request that he play two if his health keeps up. I know it is a drain on your family, but life is short, and you will regret what you left on the field. I watch every game, and I have not seen a drop of in arm strength, managing the game, or mobility. Don't come back because everybody loves you, come back because you play and manage the game at a high level, and you still love to play. Note: The preparation and practice is a piece of cake.

There never has been and probably never will be another personality in not only the NFL but in all of sports that can ever match or even compare to the likes of Brett Favre. He has altered our perception of the number "4" forever. It is his combination of sincere love for the game, genuine leadership abilities, uncanny ability to improvise and his down-home "guy next door" personality that has endeared us to him. His appeal is more universal than any other player that we in Green Bay or anyone in the sports world has ever known. If ever there was one person in the world more perfect than Brett Favre for Green Bay we have yet to find him. A match made in heaven. Brett, I hope you understand that our desire to have you return is not because we do not know how to let go. Seeing you leave one day will break our collective hearts but our desire to have you return is because we believe in you as much now as ever. Maybe more. We see clearly how you were and still are the best hope the Packers have of being the best they can be. The last four games of the season showed a lot of potential in this tram and a lot of growth. Please come back and let yourself experience the joys and thrills of gracing the gridirons once again. I have always said that you alone are worth the price of admission (and then some) win or lose. It is the fact that every moment you spend on the field is about giving your teammates and the fans every possible chance to feel the elation of victory. We understand that even if an errant pass is intercepted that you were making every attempt to make something happen. We accept the fact that there were ups and downs but are not ready to accept you leaving when we are certain you have so much left in you to bring yourself and the world the joys of playing the game.

We are Packers fans living in hostile Viking country. You are our shining light in this dark void of football mediocrity. My husband and I have been Packers fans our whole lives and cannot even imagine what our beloved team would be like without you. I know that eventually you will be gone but PLEASE come back this year. You are still one of the best in the game and even some of our Viking fan friends would be sad if you left. You are what the game of football is supposed to be. If you decide to retire we will surely understand and thank you for all of the exciting, wonderful memories you have given us over the years. There will never be another number 4. You're the greatest!!!!!

have been watching you play since I was a little girl, Brett. I pray all the time that you'll be back one more year. We would all love for you to be able to play for the rest of your life, but if one more year is what we can get, we'll take it! I would love to see my packers get into the super bowl one more time with you leading them there. You'll always be my #4.

We all saw how well the team came together at the end of the year, and believe it could be the start of something special. As great as it would be for your legacy to go out whopping the sh*t out of the Bears, it would be that much better to do it whopping the sh*t out of the unfortunate AFC representative sent to Arizona for Super Bowl XLII.

Brett Favre is the best quarterback ever to step on the NFL field, but he is so much more than that. His amazing physical, mental, and emotional toughness is known worldwide, and he is the epitome of class. I am lucky enough to be able to watch this history in the making from his humble beginnings to the end of his glorious reign. I grew up watching and depending on Favre and I will never be able to watch another Packer game the same once he's gone. I feel honored that our small and storied city has yet another claim to NFL fame and I will be sitting in a rocker when I am old and gray telling my grandchildren about how I actually lived during the golden era of the mighty Brett Favre. His love for the game is so deep, and the fans, me included, return that love tenfold. Thank you for everything you've done not only on the field, but off the field and as a role model for anyone looking for strength. Although I never want to see you go, one more year with Favre will be one more year with not just the greatest quarterback ever to live, but one of the strongest people all around. Brett Lorenzo Favre, you are the man.

Brett, I live in Western PA. I've been a Packer fan since the 60's. Even the hard core Stealer fans that I'm surrounded by unanimously agree, if you love football-you have to love to watch Favre play. YOU SHOW THE HEART & SOUL OF THE NFL & THE USA--PLEASE DON'T RETIRE YET!

Brett, I finally got to see you play at Lambeau this year live. Thankfully it was Arizona so I witnessed your ONLY Lambeau Leap (so far). The team improved so much from September to December, imagine what they can do behind you next year. I would love nothing more than to see you in the playoffs one last time with a supporting cast that can go the distance. Please consider this carefully (and I know you are) because retirement is forever (unless you're MJ of course.

Dear Brett, you are the reason that made me find ways over here in Europe to find a way to watch every Packers game broadcasted. For evening games I get up at 2 AM to watch the Pack live only because I know you will make it worth the effort by being such a competitor. I do hope you come back because you are playing at a high level + the young team improves constantly. I am certain, next season the PACK will be even better and make the postseason and once you're in there anything is possible. So why would you want to retire? You love to play the game, your team is a playoff contender and you are the factor that makes this team even better. Please return for at least 1 more season.

Brett please don't go! You made the game amazing and still do to this day. I was watching the day when the magic man went down and you came in. I didn’t know what to expect but saw something that to this day I still see in your eyes. What I saw is love and commitment; no one else is around that you see that in them. I was there when we were in the dark ages and light seeing ages please continue the light and do not leave us when we need you the most. And to all the fans I believe if we do lose him to retirement we won’t be in the dark ages because of a new person I believe we will get in the next 12 months after a super bowl win.

Brett inspires all us "weekend warrior" athletes to continue to make the most of what we have, to be our best doing what we most love. Besides, it makes good business sense for the record books to have a Packer name at the top, and not the name of a player from Miami.
We have watched you grow up from a kid to a wonderful man and terrific football player. You have looked life's adversity in the eye and have conquered all. We definitely want you back for not just one more year, but for as many as you choose.

Please don't retire yet. I speak for my 6 sisters who feel the same way I do. I also have a football I really would like you to autograph for me.

We believe the team needs you and your fans want you to help the team. The last 4 games show there is progress, but it's not totally there. You can help them get a positive winning year. I love the comradeship you have with Driver. I admire his work ethics and tenacity. You two are like brothers working toward the same goal! Take that 2 ways.

I have watched football since I was a kid. I remember the 1st game I saw was the game and Bart star was trying to get into the end zone on a cold day. My father was new here from Puerto Rico and could barely speak English. But what brought me to the t.v. was him screaming at the with his brothers having some beers and watching the game. Bart Starr kept trying to get into the end zone and when he did my father and uncles jumped up and started screaming and cheering. the green bay packers won the super bowl. I could barely speak English but still loved the game. That's how I became a packer fan, dedicated to green bay all these years from hadl, to dickey, to wright, to majik, and then you came brett. I watched all those years hoping to see green bay win another super bowl. And you did that for me and millions other. I see you dedicated to playing the game as I am watching it .in all my years I have never seen any football player play the game with as much love and compassion for the game, team, and the win. Win or lose I saw your emotions happy or sad and I felt it too. Whether you go out blazing in your career or not, thank you for coming to green bay and making my football fan dream come true. Win or lose, packer fan for life. We love you brett favre. Come back one more year or two.

OS PA
01-22-2007, 03:51 AM
Anybody think that Brett liked what he saw in todays games? Seeing the Bears go to the Superbowl after we beat them? Gotta give you a little bit of hope for the future.

woodbuck27
01-22-2007, 08:55 AM
I cannot give a better fan testimony to Brett Favre than the one I just read written by TOP HAT. That was a very honest piece of writing and taken out of the heart of a true Brett Favre fan. It was beautiful. :)

I have loved the Packers for almost 5 decades.I recall the start of the Vince Lombardi era and that awesome 60's team; the first two Super Bowls and then the long long wait for the Wolf-Holmgren-Favre and Reggie White and Company connection.

I cannot properly put into words the way I feel abouit Brett Favre and what he means to me. I can only express this. Favre is without any doubt the finest PRO athlete ALL Round that I have ever experienced as a fan.To say that Brett Favre is the face of the Green Bay Packers doesn't cut it.

Fans will say that the Packers will survive Favre's retirement, but it's my feeling that we will never see (slash) feel a player in the Green and Gold that will rival all that he is.

I'm not ready to learn of his retirement. It's not the time for Favre to retire. That flat out mustn't happen.

If Brett retires it will be terrible for me as a fan, that see's and feels what TOP HAT expresses about Favre. Favre is very special as an NFL Icon, but it's his humanity and desire to win that has set him above ALL great players in any PRO Sport, in my 5 decades of being a sports fan.

Favre brings the human aspect to us. He's emotional, yet sensitive and careful and generally optimistic in his approach to playing for OUR team game to game and into every minute of every game. It really sucks to me that he wasn't surrounded with the talent he needed to win more. I can't understand a GM with a. . . well we did pretty good attitude and approach to organizing a team, from a perspective of coaching and personnel.

Winning is all that matters and to have the gift of a winner like Favre and not support that is just ugly.

Maybe he'll get it Brett. Just give him two more years to get there PLEASE. :)

GO PACK GO !

GrnBay007
01-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Anybody think that Brett liked what he saw in todays games? Seeing the Bears go to the Superbowl after we beat them? Gotta give you a little bit of hope for the future.

The same thought crossed my mind OS PA. We can hope! :D

In fact, I said that to a bear fan today at work and they rolled their eyes....typical bear fan reaction. :P

b bulldog
01-22-2007, 08:19 PM
The frightening thing is that next year they will have Brown and Harris back but hopefully they will lose briggs.

TopHat
01-22-2007, 10:34 PM
I cannot give a better fan testimony to Brett Favre than the one I just read written by TOP HAT. That was a very honest piece of writing and taken out of the heart of a true Brett Favre fan. It was beautiful. :)

I have loved the Packers for almost 5 decades.I recall the start of the Vince Lombardi era and that awesome 60's team; the first two Super Bowls and then the long long wait for the Wolf-Holmgren-Favre and Reggie White and Company connection.

I cannot properly put into words the way I feel abouit Brett Favre and what he means to me. I can only express this. Favre is without any doubt the finest PRO athlete ALL Round that I have ever experienced as a fan.To say that Brett Favre is the face of the Green Bay Packers doesn't cut it.

Fans will say that the Packers will survive Favre's retirement, but it's my feeling that we will never see (slash) feel a player in the Green and Gold that will rival all that he is.

I'm not ready to learn of his retirement. It's not the time for Favre to retire. That flat out mustn't happen.

If Brett retires it will be terrible for me as a fan, that see's and feels what TOP HAT expresses about Favre. Favre is very special as an NFL Icon, but it's his humanity and desire to win that has set him above ALL great players in any PRO Sport, in my 5 decades of being a sports fan.

Favre brings the human aspect to us. He's emotional, yet sensitive and careful and generally optimistic in his approach to playing for OUR team game to game and into every minute of every game. It really sucks to me that he wasn't surrounded with the talent he needed to win more. I can't understand a GM with a. . . well we did pretty good attitude and approach to organizing a team, from a perspective of coaching and personnel.

Winning is all that matters and to have the gift of a winner like Favre and not support that is just ugly.

Maybe he'll get it Brett. Just give him two more years to get there PLEASE. :)

GO PACK GO !

TOP HAT'S NOTE: YUP, 30 YEARS LATER...DUE TO HOF BF AND SUPPORTING CAST.

TopHat
01-23-2007, 11:39 AM
GrnBay007, Bretsky, Madtownpacker,MJZiggy, Fritz, Motife, Woodbuck27, GBRulz, Partial, Red, OS PA, Bulldog,,...everybody:

1. http://cf.wisinfo.com/Packers_Chat/old_chats/q_a_012207.cfm

Pete Dougherty: "My gut feeling is that he'll come back for another year. Just a guy feeling, kind of based on what Harlan has said but more so on observing Favre all these years. When I saw that post-game interview on the field at Chicago, I thought, that's it, he's quitting. But after thinking about it talking with people, I remembered that he is an emotional guy and has a flare for the dramatic. This is all just a guess, though."

2. From an anonymous source, "I heard from a player who is represented by the same agent as Brett that he will sign a 2 year extension shortly."

MJZiggy
01-23-2007, 11:40 AM
But Brett's under contract until 2011...

OKC PackerFan
01-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Isn't Moss represented by Bus Cook?

Murphy37
01-23-2007, 12:09 PM
But Brett's under contract until 2011...

Brett's gonna play till 2013? Kick ass! This is great news! Wait a minute..........yeah what the hell.................this is great news!

TopHat
01-23-2007, 12:12 PM
EDITED.

Murphy37
01-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Update
On what was supposed to be day 27 of Brett Favre taking Prilosec, he forgot to take it. Unfortunately on this same day he got into some bad Mexican food and threw his back out while passing gas. It's not looking good for 2007.

red
01-23-2007, 12:14 PM
an extention could be a way to lower bretts cap number for the next year or 2

MadtownPacker
01-23-2007, 12:14 PM
2. From an anonymous source, "I heard from a player who is represented by the same agent as Brett that he will sign a 2 year extension shortly."Maybe he is going help open up even MORE cap room to get a nice weapon on O?

MJZiggy
01-23-2007, 12:41 PM
We need MORE than $30 million for that?

red
01-23-2007, 12:57 PM
We need MORE than $30 million for that?

we will if we bring in all those weapons TT has his eyes on

i don't want to get any hopes up

but can you say dream team?

TopHat
01-24-2007, 05:37 PM
http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070124/NEWS01/70124006/1002

Packers' Favre getting closer to decision By Stan Caldwell American Sports Writer

Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre said Tuesday that he has not made a decision about whether he will play next season, but he expected to speak with head coach Mike McCarthy very soon to discuss his future. “There’s not really (a timetable),” said Favre, who makes his offseason home in Hattiesburg. “I said after the last game (Dec. 31) that I’d decide within two weeks, but I probably jumped the gun when I said that. But I’m going to call McCarthy (Tuesday) night. He left a message for me this morning. “I don’t want to drag this out as long as I did last year....”

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=612705

Favre flash: QB closing in on decision By Todd Korth Packerreport.com

Quarterback speaks with Hattiesburg reporter about his future in football
Brett Favre told a Hattiesburg, MS, newspaper on Tuesday night that he soon will make a decision on if he will play football next season. He said that he plans to speak with head coach Mike McCarthy to discuss his future, and probably will not wait until April, like he did last year, before deciding what he plans to do. "There’s not really (a timetable)," said Favre told the Hattiesburg American. "I said after the last game (Dec. 31) that I’d decide within two weeks, but I probably jumped the gun when I said that. But I’m going to call McCarthy (Tuesday) night. He left a message for me this morning. I don’t want to drag this out as long as I did last year." Favre, who makes his off-season home in Hattiesburg, spoke to a reporter after watching his daughter Brittany play basketball for Oak Grove against Hattiesburg High. "I’m just trying to get as far away from it as I can right now," Favre said. "I don’t know if I’ll ever know for sure (whether it’s time to retire)."

:D :D :D

TopHat
01-24-2007, 11:09 PM
According to another close source from a NFL sports site, "I still say that Favre will return to the Pack for the 2007 season, and hopefully he'll make a decision before the Super Bowl." Current info is what most inside sources are saying about the situation.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :D

GrnBay007
01-24-2007, 11:32 PM
I think he's far enough into this that him calling MM is a very good sign he's coming back. Seems different from last year when many wondered if TT really wanted him back. Supposedly they (TT & MM) made that clear to him already that they want him back. He'll call MM back and talk his ear off for an hour or two and MM will hang up the phone still not knowing what his decision is. :P Brett Favre style!!

TopHat
01-25-2007, 02:30 PM
"Even though i told myself it wasnt his last game against the bears.. i treated it as it was his last and when he gave that speech it was like a part of me left cuz of how he acted.. no matter when or how he hangs it up, its gonna be unbearable to watch because of what that man has brought to us, and meant to us over the last 15 yrs of our lives. We went from thinking he was something special (coming in for magic man and winning), to thinking he should be benched -NOT ME- (soph jinx year & some of us.. "put in Brunell"), to thinking he was the best player we ever seen(3mvp's+ SB), thinking he was legendary(dad dying, wife cancer, playin 200+ games in a row and keeping on going) and then his down year(4-12).. now we see a man still giving us everything he has(8-8 with the most under man'd, and youngest team in the league), still playing strong and we still have faith(98% of us do) that he can still be that magical player that pushes the sun back up from setting for one to two more years. We are starting to build a team that could be scary.. we are starting to build a team that unites.. we have a coach that united that team no matter what our competition was.. We all wanna see Brett give us 2 more years because most of us see the daylight that I really think Brett see's as well.. he deserves better than we've given him, he deserves going out on top.. will it happen?.. who knows, but I think that man will die trying...and we will still be here, having his back, like he has had many of ours over all these years."

NOOOOOO, YOU CANT RETIRE!!!!!!!!!!!

Got a lot of respect for you Brett. I'm a Chicago Bears fan, My brother is a Packers fan. Even though that is the biggest rivalry in sports, I beleive you are on of the best in the game. Please come back for just one more.

I have seen every Packer game that has been on TV for more then 30 years, and Brett is the Best!!

I've always loved watching you play, and you were the first football player I learned about when I was little, you've been my favorite ever since.

You can't go Brett, the country needs you...no the world needs you. You, and only you, can defeat terrorism, nuclear proliferation, and the Russians. Don't let us down.

You've given green bay fans around the world the pride and strength to say, "hey, im a Packer fan, so back the f**k off". stay just one more year, and bring us home the trophy thats name even states that it should always remain in our little corner of wisconsin!

Come Back Brett! If it's only for one more year (we'd take you back many more) let us know at the beginning of the year so we can give you the applause and send off you deserve after every game. My 6 and 9 year old girls would like you to come back also. They want to see the greatest quarterback ever play some more!

Life without Brett is unimaginable. He has revived a historic franchise and brought a winning tradition back to Green Bay. The young Packers have a bright future and I think Brett realizes that. I think I speak for the rest of the Packer Nation when I say we appreciate everything he has done and will respect any decision the guy makes. With that said I hope to see the 2007 season filled with highlights of the man, the legend that is BRETT FAVRE!

TopHat
01-25-2007, 03:57 PM
EDITED.

The Shadow
01-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Obviously, Favre is returning.
Can't wait till the 'official' announcement & the countless, breathless "Oh- my-God- I-can't believe-it's-really-really-true!!!!" messages flashing across this site.
yawn.

GrnBay007
01-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Can't wait till the 'official' announcement & the countless, breathless "Oh- my-God- I-can't believe-it's-really-really-true!!!!" messages flashing across this site.
yawn.

Ohhhhhh cmon Shadow, you know you will have a great big smile that day and how a about a "silent" sigh of relief. :P :wink:

Joemailman
01-25-2007, 09:05 PM
GrnBay007, Bretsky, Madtownpacker,MJZiggy, Fritz, Motife, Woodbuck27, GBRulz, Partial, Red, OS PA, Bulldog,,...everybody:

1. http://cf.wisinfo.com/Packers_Chat/old_chats/q_a_012207.cfm

Pete Dougherty: "My gut feeling is that he'll come back for another year. Just a guy feeling, kind of based on what Harlan has said but more so on observing Favre all these years. When I saw that post-game interview on the field at Chicago, I thought, that's it, he's quitting. But after thinking about it talking with people, I remembered that he is an emotional guy and has a flare for the dramatic. This is all just a guess, though."

2. From an anonymous source, "I heard from a player who is represented by the same agent as Brett that he will sign a 2 year extension shortly."

I think maybe what they meant was that Brett has signed a 2 year extension with Prilosec. :D

MJZiggy
01-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Even that would be good news, Joe. The endorsement deals would prefer him to be a current player...

TopHat
01-26-2007, 11:50 AM
http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=314

Around the NFL by Joe Arrigo PackerChatters

The Packers want a decision from Brett Favre no later than the start of free agency on March 1, because they are expected to bring in a veteran to compete against former No. 1 pick Aaron Rodgers if Favre retires.

That veteran could be Jeff Garcia, who probably won't be back in Philly. The Eagles have said they want to re-sign him, but at least three teams - Minnesota, Tampa Bay and Green Bay (if Brett Favre retires) - appear to have interest in Garcia as a possible short-term starter.

TOP HAT'S NOTE: MMMM..... 8) 8) 8) 8)

red
01-26-2007, 01:13 PM
IMO, bringing in garcia would be a great move if brett calls it quits

but he might want a sure fire starting gig, he'd only be a starter in GB, if rodgers is an all out failure and blows all 10 or 12 chances he's going to get

Merlin
01-26-2007, 02:39 PM
I don't think Rogers will get 10 or 12 chances. The fans will want to hang TT after the 3rd one.

TopHat
01-26-2007, 03:27 PM
MerlinWizard222's comments [to be respected, as fans are entitled to their opinion]: "Personally, I don't see Favre up and walking away now. That being said: I agree Favre doesn't want the "Favre final tour" crap, I wouldn't either. But, TT wasn't too high on keeping him around when he flew into town either. You have to look at the direction of the organization and even though the Packers had a lot of bright spots in '06, TT can't afford to "build through the draft" and expect to keep Favre wanting to play for a young, inexperienced team. We have a lot of locks for starters and some who's contract are up. The Free Agency market will be a good one. If TT doesn't go after a few players, if I were Favre, I would walk. If TT is so stupid that he looks past the 2006 accomplishments and brings in another 10 rookies, then I may have to consider not being much of a fan anymore. We get it Ted, you like the draft. You need to get it Ted, we want to WIN NOW!"

The Shadow
01-26-2007, 05:36 PM
quote="TopHat"Favre doesn't want the "Favre final tour" crap".

Respectfully disagree

"You have to look at the direction of the organization and even though the Packers had a lot of bright spots in '06, TT can't afford to "build through the draft"

Actually, I think history has demonstrated that is far & away the BEST way to build.

" If TT doesn't go after a few players, if I were Favre, I would walk."

Allowing a player to dictate team decisions is just possibly not the wisest philosophy....?

If TT is so stupid that he looks past the 2006 accomplishments and brings in another 10 rookies, then I may have to consider not being much of a fan anymore.

Shane! Come back! (Please bring your ball back...)

"We get it Ted, you like the draft. "

To Ted's credit, thank goodness.

"You need to get it Ted, we want to WIN NOW!"

Daddy, I WANT AN OOMPALOOMPA RIGHT NOW!
[/b]

The Shadow
01-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Again, I declare myself pretty solidly in Thompson's corner.
His moves seem to have the Packers finally on track.

TopHat
01-26-2007, 10:32 PM
quote="TopHat"Favre doesn't want the "Favre final tour" crap".

Respectfully disagree

"You have to look at the direction of the organization and even though the Packers had a lot of bright spots in '06, TT can't afford to "build through the draft"

Actually, I think history has demonstrated that is far & away the BEST way to build.

" If TT doesn't go after a few players, if I were Favre, I would walk."

Allowing a player to dictate team decisions is just possibly not the wisest philosophy....?

If TT is so stupid that he looks past the 2006 accomplishments and brings in another 10 rookies, then I may have to consider not being much of a fan anymore.

Shane! Come back! (Please bring your ball back...)

"We get it Ted, you like the draft. "

To Ted's credit, thank goodness.

"You need to get it Ted, we want to WIN NOW!"

Daddy, I WANT AN OOMPALOOMPA RIGHT NOW!
[/b]

TOP HAT'S NOTE: YOU QUOTED MERLINWIZARD222'S COMMENTS, A RESPECTED FAN'S OPINION SHARED BY PACKER FANS ABOUT WINNING, UNDER OUR RIGHTS TO FREEDOM OF SPEECH IN A FREE SOCIETY.

FavreChild
01-27-2007, 02:04 AM
Brett is not leaving.

Even if he was leaving, the Pack would bring in Plummer. Garcia would be fine, but now he will cost a pretty penny. No way TT will pay for that...

But it's a moot point...

Brett is not leaving.

WELCOME BACK, BRETT!!!! Another year, another 6-0 division record!! 8)

TopHat
01-27-2007, 02:20 PM
http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=613146&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fpackers.scout.com%2f2%2f 613146.html

Sydney Speaks! Not again, Brett! By Harry Sydney Packerreport.com

If you are already tired of the Brett Favre saga, which is well under way this off-season, read how PackerReport.com’s Harry Sydney feels about it. Like always, Sydney gets in your face and explains exactly how he feels about the quarterback’s indecision: another Favre indecision saga is unbearable.

TopHat
01-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Will Favre retire?

Yes, Chicago was his last game 22%

No, he will be back for the 07-08 season! 78%

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :D

TopHat
01-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Youv'e got at least 2 more years in the tank. Give it at least one more. You have got those teammates of yours primed for a deep run next year. If you don't come back...THANKS FO THE MEMORIES..and good luck with your next venture. PS If you want to come hunting in the norhtwoods..let me know. We have over 800 acres and a 17 acre pond.

You are the best ever, come back only if you still love the game. However, understand you are still playing like one of the best in the game, receivers will be better, offensive line a bit stronger, and TE's will actually be able to catch passes rather than just block next year.. go out with a 30+ touchdown campaign. You've labored through decline and rebuilding, next season is a chance to bear the fruits of your labor.

I know you gotta do whatcha gotta do, Brett. But you still have it in you no matter what the detractors said last year or the few that still hold on to such an idiotic belief. I never doubted, and there are a bunch of those who, regardless of the media hype, didn't have any doubt either. Just keep on keepin' on and do what you know you can do. Regardless of your decision, many blessing to you and your family throughout the new year and beyond. Peace & Love4OneAnother.

Football just wouldn't be the same without Favre. I began to love football because of Brett Favre. I don't know what football is without him and I don't want to find out any time soon.

FOR AN ATHLETE IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO END A SPORTS CAREER, PROFESSIONAL OR NON, AND 'THE HEART OF FOOTBALL' --BRETT FAVRE HIMSELF--WILL SOMEDAY FIND THAT OUT. . .HOPEFULLY NOT ANYTIME SOON. HE HAS TOO MUCH TO OFFER, AND A SOLID TEAM WITH SUPERIOR POTENTIAL TO AT LEAST GO 12-4 NEXT YEAR. IF HE LEAVES, WILL HE THINK, 'WHAT COULD i HAVE DONE WITH THAT TEAM?' THERE WILL BE A TIME HE'S ON THE SIDELINE REMINISCING, BUT NOT NOW.

I know you must get this a lot but you truley are my hero. i look up to you and everything that you do. i have written papers about you, and everything. It would be the greatest brithday present for the 3rd year in a row if you would come back.

I made it to my very first Packer Game in Lambeau Field this year and it just happened to be Oct. 29. Many "firsts" happened that day! My "first" time in Green Bay, we won our "first" home game of the season AND Brett, you did your "first" Lambeau Leap! What a day we had! I hope you come back for another year....

I am NOT ready to see Brett go. I expect his last game to be a HUGE tribute to him and I think the New Years game was not it, and proved he can do it agan, he's ONLY 37!!!!

If only for a few hours every week we can escape troubles in our life and watch the greatest player ever, than PLEASE don't retire. You are still the man and can obviously still play. Lets take one more run at the big show and bring the trophy home where it belongs, but we cannot do it without you!

What do you say to your hero? You’re the highlight of the NFL and I'm sure your family is proud. You know what you’re capable of on and off the field so it's not a question of ability. Just by being your self you have captured the hearts of just about every Packer fan that exists today, win or lose. Many of them won't admit it but for some of those people you’re the reason why they are Packers fans including myself. You represent the Green Bay Packers and the state of Wisconsin by character alone despite being a Mississippi native; you’re a Cheese head by heart. You are as loyal and committed as every Packer fan and I can only ask that you give us one more year of representation as the best damned quarterback to have ever played in the NFL. And I mean that not only in your abilities, but also in your humanity.

Favre has to stay, he is the heart and soul of the packers.

I feel better about next year than I did about this year. Brett deserves to go out huge!

Brett is without any doubt the greateest player to ever play the game both on and off the field. thank you brett for all the years and memories you have given us packer/football fans. please come back. go pack go.

I have seen you play over the past 10 years and loved and enjoyed every one i been through the good and the bad like when we lost the superbowl to denver on my birthday. but im a die hard fan and bleed green and gold i would love to see you play for at least 1 more year but if is time and you decide to retire i support that to and wish you and your family the best, and thank you for all the wonderfull memory's. GREEN BAY ALL THE WAY!

TopHat
01-28-2007, 09:34 AM
ECHOING SHADOW COMING.

The Shadow
01-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Be careful when praying that you don't mistake a jockstrap for a rosary....

GrnBay007
01-28-2007, 11:52 AM

:shock:

red
01-28-2007, 12:01 PM
http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=613146&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fpackers.scout.com%2f2%2f 613146.html

If you are already tired of the Brett Favre saga, which is well under way this off-season, read how PackerReport.com’s Harry Sydney feels about it. Like always, Sydney gets in your face and explains exactly how he feels about the quarterback’s indecision: another Favre indecision saga is unbearable.

what drama?

we haven't heard peep about this, at all. other then the internet forums with fans wondering whats going on, you hardly see anything about will he or won't he. infact, all you really do see about it, is reporters bitching about the drama, which IMO, isn't even there

TopHat
01-28-2007, 08:26 PM

what drama?

we haven't heard peep about this, at all. other then the internet forums with fans wondering whats going on, you hardly see anything about will he or won't he. infact, all you really do see about it, is reporters bitching about the drama, which IMO, isn't even there

TOP HAT: GENERALLY, I AGREE. As one fan said, "The silence is deafening which makes me think that he is in talks with the Packers, his family, his manager etc about coming back."

Merlin
01-29-2007, 10:45 AM
I hope Favre comes back as well. The sad reality is that the "future" to me is NOW and in TT's mind it's still years away. This is the NFL where a team can go from 0-16 to 16-0 in one season. Unfortunately TT doesn't agree and is spending all his time making "his" team. This is OUR team. No more Seattle castoffs.

TT is the reason we are 12-20 over the past two seasons. Name the last GM who had that poor of a record spanning two years? How far back do you have to go? The fact remains that whatever feel good things that happened this season, they won't get any better if you continue to put 10 rookies on the field every season. That isn't building, that's destroying. At some point you have to draft for necessity and not the best player available (one could argue that Rogers was the BPA at the time or not). You have to look at the holes you need to fill and not look at "young blood". I said this before and I will say it again, when all of these great rookies are viable veterans and their contracts come up, will you pay them or will you "build through the draft"? We have a very young team with a lot of great talent on it. When you take a look at when those contracts are up, we may not be able to keep them all. We have a good base and on that base you add skilled veterans to add leadership and strength. TT's direction has been to tear the organization down, add one good veteran, one younger veteran replacement, a convicted drug/alcohol addict, and over pay a #2 safety. He also put our kicking game in the hands of what amount to be rookies as well. He wrapped it all up in duct tape and hoped to god that it would stick together. That was just last year. Sure, he got Hawk, Jennings, Spitz, Colledge and Moll. Those five alone will command large salaries at the end of the rookie contracts. Can we keep them all? I doubt it.

You are entitled to your opinions that is true. You are open to disagree as well

cap360
01-29-2007, 02:08 PM
merlin sorry but you are clueless

cheesner
01-29-2007, 02:37 PM
I hope Favre comes back as well. The sad reality is that the "future" to me is NOW and in TT's mind it's still years away. This is the NFL where a team can go from 0-16 to 16-0 in one season. Unfortunately TT doesn't agree and is spending all his time making "his" team. This is OUR team. No more Seattle castoffs.

. . . Sure, he got Hawk, Jennings, Spitz, Colledge and Moll. Those five alone will command large salaries at the end of the rookie contracts. Can we keep them all? I doubt it.

You are entitled to your opinions that is true. You are open to disagree as well

So let me get this straight. Getting very promising rookies is a bad thing because they will cost a lot when their rookie contracts are up. But the future is now. So should he spend big money on FA now - because they will be worth less when their contracts are up? This is a very confusing post.

As one example: Jerry Jones was 8-24 his first 2 years (89-90). They went on to win a couple of superbowls. They built primarily through the draft.

The Shadow
01-29-2007, 04:20 PM
".....Unfortunately TT doesn't agree and is spending all his time making "his" team. This is OUR team."

??????????????????
Personally, I want a team that's a championship contender over a long period.
I want 'My' team to be built correctly, from the ground up.
I think Thompson is doing it the right way, and have absolutely no problem with him taking his sweet time to get the job done correctly.

TopHat
01-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Do you want Brett Favre to return?

Yes. 84.74 %

No. 5.18 %

Just one more year. 10.08 % __________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

I have a lot going on in my life that i am not happy with. i suffer from severe depression and sometimes think life would be better without me. i can honestly say that the only thing that keeps me going in the winter months (where my depression is at its peak) is watching brett favre and the packers play. every sunday when i was the game, my fiance hates football, but knows everything about the Packs and Brett, she always tells me how happy i look when i see favre play, so thanks for the memories, and i have purchased DirecTV's sunday ticket twice in a row, this year and last, thinking, yet surely not hoping, it was going to be Favre's last game....so one more year brett...i know if u were to return, we'd be saying one more year again....but honestly, all i want is one more year for brett to get that superbowl ring. i know the packers can do it, they finally have some type of hunger for winning, and i truely believe that if Favre were to give it one more shot, he wouldnt be disappointed.

Brett Favre is my Hero!

Brett can stay and play until he's ready to retire! He's awesome!

You're the greatest there ever will be

DONT GO FAVRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Green Bay needs you!! And Wisconsin needs you even more.

Please don't leave yet Brett. You are still at the top of the league, and haven't lost a step. Give Wisconsin another year.

One more shot at the Super Bowl most likely awaits in 2007-08. Plus you still have knowledge to pass to Aaron; he needs time to recover from the foot injury and to take snaps with the practice squad. Sure, make it your last one but take that victory lap!

Brett cannot go yet.

I love brett favre. you will never be replicated or trumped. you're the one and only, so pleeeease stay so the distinctly unique and unequivocable experience of watching what has become a GB game can be on display for just a bit longer. No one loses. We all love the game when it's 4 under center.

Brett you can't leave! The game won't be the same without you! You've inspired me in so many ways! I think you can make it so far next year! If you do leave, you had a great ride, and I loved every minute of it. We'll miss you when you're gone. So don't go yet. You still have more in you. I know you love the game, so just do what you love! You only have so many chances in life at that!

Your my boy!!! The game of football, and the Green Bay Packers will not be the same without you! We all have hope and trust in you and know that one more year will end up being the best year!!

Please, please, please come back and give us one more oppourtunity to see you work your magic Begging in balitmore.

Brett, it's your decision. And I'll respect it either way. But I love watching you play, and I love the Packers. I think that team will be good enough to make a run next year with you at the helm, because you haven't lost it, and your supporting cast is going to be that much better.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

TopHat
01-30-2007, 12:09 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=558562

Driver wants Favre back by Wolfley Sports Day JSOnline.com

Two years ago on media day during Super Bowl week in Jacksonville, Fla., Green Bay Packers wide receiver Donald Driver created a stir when he said during a radio interview that he thought quarterback Brett Favre would not return to play in 2005. His comments attracted national attention. In subsequent interviews, he said his prediction was only an opinion and not based on any conversation he had with Favre in the off-season. Monday morning in Miami, Driver was interviewed by Chicago radio station WSCR-AM (670) and he was much less controversial about the topic. "I hope he comes back," Driver said, referring to Favre. "I think he still loves it." Driver said he wanted Favre to return because he wouldn't have to face any learning curve, which would be required with another quarterback....

http://cf.wisinfo.com/Packers_Chat/old_chats/q_a_012907.cfm

Mike Vandermause: My guess is Favre will return in 07. I don't think he would decide on the 08 season until after this coming season.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=614249&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fstory.scout.com%2fa.z%3f s%3d61%26p%3d2%26c%3d614249

Sydney Speaks! Where do you fit? By Harry Sydney Scout.com Harry Sydney doesn't hesitate to separate the Brett Favre apologists from the realists in his column today. Where do you fit in?

The Shadow
01-30-2007, 07:11 PM

TopHat
01-30-2007, 08:00 PM

:shock:

:shock: :shock: ECHO?? DEJA VU??

TopHat
01-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Brett is not leaving.

Even if he was leaving, the Pack would bring in Plummer. Garcia would be fine, but now he will cost a pretty penny. No way TT will pay for that...

But it's a moot point...

Brett is not leaving.

WELCOME BACK, BRETT!!!! Another year, another 6-0 division record!! 8)

TOP HAT'S NOTE: DECISION COMING...SUPER BOWL...TWO WEEKS? EITHER WAY, IN 30 DAYS, A LONGEST CASE SCENARIO.

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=325 by J.A. Packerchatters.com

Around the League. JA says, "I am not sure how true this is, but I was told Brett Favre could have his decision made by the weeks end, and a press conference to announce it may be held by mid-next week...."

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=327

Why Brett's Return is a Good Deal for the Pack by C. D. Angeli Packerchatters.com

As we enter what seems to be Episode Six of the media-created furor that is Favre Wars: The Phantom Retirement, most of us have accepted that Favre's decision, for yea or for nay, should be coming within the next week or two. With that clearly in mind, I would like to state for the record that I believe the Packers are a better team in 2007 with Brett Favre at the helm. Patronize me....?

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=559564

Family matters Favre to base decision on personal issues, not football By TOM SILVERSTEIN JSOnline.com

Miami - Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre reached out to coach Mike McCarthy, but did not provide an answer as to whether he will come back next season. Favre has been home in Hattiesburg, Miss., since the 2006 season ended, tending to his usual chores and getting his mind off football. Favre was at his daughter Brittany's basketball game last week when he told a local reporter he intended to touch base with McCarthy. After some phone tag, the two finally connected a couple of days ago. "He was power-washing the driveway when I talked to him," McCarthy said Tuesday. There has been a lot of speculation and rumor regarding Favre's future, and some are under the assumption he will make a decision this week or next on whether to return. But McCarthy said nothing Favre said led him to think a decision was imminent and, as far as he's concerned, that's not a problem. He understands that Favre has some things to think through. "It was a very good talk," McCarthy said, choosing not to identify exactly when they spoke. "It always is. I've never felt any of our talks were (not fruitful). Even all through last year. I know from the outside people were frustrated with the waiting, but the man has played a long time and it's a process he has to go through. And he's going through it again. "There's nothing wrong with talking through it." Asked if he thought his discussions with Favre would help the quarterback sort things out, McCarthy said maybe. But his intent isn't to talk him into something he doesn't want to do. "I'm not going to sit there and make his mind up for him," McCarthy said. "By no means, is that my decision. He and (wife) Deanna have to make it." What McCarthy did gather from his conversation with Favre is that his decision will come down to personal and family matters. Both McCarthy and Thompson told Favre he still has what it takes to be an effective quarterback and it appears Favre agrees. There have been some whispers that Favre would like to see the offense upgraded and, perhaps, even have the Packers trade for disgruntled Oakland receiver Randy Moss. But McCarthy said the status of the team wasn't on Favre's mind. "It really has nothing to do with the team," McCarthy said. "I think Brett's questions last year were with regards to so many new things: new coach, new staff, (new) terminology, new players. The issue of whether to play, from my understanding, really doesn't have anything to do with the team." During the season, Favre said spending more time with his family would weigh on his mind when making a decision whether to come back. Brittany has stayed in Hattiesburg year-round so she didn't have to change high schools while the rest of the family lived in Green Bay during the season. McCarthy said he didn't come away with an opinion on which way Favre was leaning, but understands why many people think he will come back. In the regular-season finale against the Chicago Bears, the eventual NFC champion, Favre played well, completing 21 of 42 passes for 285 yards with a touchdown and an interception. "I can see why everybody says he's going to play because of all the positives,"McCarthy said. "There's no question that (he can play). And the most important thing is that he doesn't question that, either. I think everyone is on the same page as to whether he can play." That certainly seemed to be the case at Super Bowl XLI media day at Dolphins Stadium. Numerous coaches and current and former players were asked whether they thought Favre should continue to play and almost to a man they said yes. No one said they thought Favre was washed up. "All I know is that he's a guy that can still perform," said Jim Caldwell, Indianapolis Colts assistant head coach/quarterbacks. "He's one of the great quarterbacks in this league. He's an incredible leader. Players gravitate toward him and around him. All of us within this game have a great amount of respect for that guy." Thompson, meanwhile, said he did not visit Favre during his trip last week to Mobile, Ala., for the Senior Bowl because he did not want to push the quarterback for an answer too quickly. He said there was a timeframe in which he would like a decision but he wouldn't say whether it had begun. "I purposely left him alone for a couple weeks to give him time," Thompson said. "Mike has had some conversations with him the last several days and I'm sure I'll be in touch with him pretty soon. I think everybody understands where we are. Brett was the first one to say he'd like to make a decision early." Presumably, Thompson could wait as late as the end of February, given that free agency begins March 2. But it would be a problem if the decision came after that because if Favre retires, the Packers are going to want to pursue a veteran to compete with 2005 first-round pick Aaron Rodgers, who still has much to prove before being given the starting job. "Everyone understands the timeframe we're dealing with, but we haven't put a timeline on it," McCarthy said. "Obviously, we just don't want to get into what we got into last year.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070131/PKR01/70131028/1989

Favre's decision expected soon, McCarthy says Packersnews.com

Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy says he hopes to learn "in the next couple of weeks" whether quarterback Brett Favre will return for the 2007 season. McCarthy, speaking by phone from Austin, Texas, made his comments in an interview on Jim Rome's nationally syndicated radio show on Tuesday. "I talked to Brett on Saturday and ultimately it's a decision Brett and (his wife) Deanna are working through, and we hope to know here in the next couple of weeks," McCarthy told Rome....

:) :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

TopHat
01-30-2007, 10:10 PM

Joemailman
01-31-2007, 09:07 AM
The best thing from the above article is that McCarthy thinks it will come down to Brett making a family decision. In the past, whether it was about playing another year, or playing the day after his father died, Brett's family has always encouraged him to play. If they hadn't Brett would have retired a couple of years ago.

GBRulz
01-31-2007, 09:16 AM
The best thing from the above article is that McCarthy thinks it will come down to Brett making a family decision. In the past, whether it was about playing another year, or playing the day after his father died, Brett's family has always encouraged him to play. If they hadn't Brett would have retired a couple of years ago.

If it meant the difference between my spouse being home all day or out working and making 11 million dollars, i'd encourage him to play, too :lol: haha

Seriously though, while I know it's got to be difficult not having your family together (Brit staying in MS for her HS years for example). It also has to be alot of fun for the family to attend the games as well. Like Brett said, it's not the games that he doesn't love, it's the practices and long hours spent preparing for them.

IMO, the guy is going to play until he physically can't anymore. I had some bad vibes after the Chicago game, but I am glad to see him taking some time away from football instead of making a bad decision, like retiring :wink:

GBRulz
01-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Nothing interesting here, but this was in todays Press Gazette....

Favre's decision expected soon, Packers coach says

Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy says he hopes to learn "in the next couple of weeks" whether quarterback Brett Favre will return for the 2007 season.

McCarthy, in Miami for the Super Bowl, made his comments in an interview on Jim Rome's nationally syndicated radio show.

For the complete story, go to www.PackersNews.com.

Partial
01-31-2007, 09:20 AM
He's as good as back. Coincidentally, so is/are the Pack.

TopHat
01-31-2007, 03:18 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070131/PKR01/70131106/1989

Favre to return as Bergstrom pitchman Gannett Newspapers

Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre is coming back — at least as pitchman for Bergstrom Automotive. John Bergstrom, chairman and chief executive officer of Bergstrom Corp., said today that Favre, a three-time NFL most valuable player, agreed on Friday to serve as “our spokesperson for another year.” “We just renewed our contract,” Bergstrom said. “I was a little hesitant wondering what he would say and he said, ‘I’m in there. I’ll be there.’” Asked if the agreement meant Favre, who is contemplating retirement, might return to the playing field, Bergstrom chuckled and said, “I’m not saying that.” The largest automotive dealer in Wisconsin has benefited from its relationship with the quarterback who owns several NFL all-time passing records and is closing in on a few others. “We started this since Brett came to town,” said Bergstrom. “He’s been our spokesman since he signed with the Packers. We got lucky. We didn’t know who he was or what we were going to have and he’s stayed loyal to us all through this thing. He just does a great job. He’s been incredibly loyal to us and our people love him,” Bergstrom said. “He’s a real guy, drives a pickup truck.”

TopHat
01-31-2007, 11:53 PM
Brett Favre: stay or go?

Stay (86.9%)

Go (13.1%)
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=560202

Favre should stay. Too much left in his arm to hang up cleats now. by Silverstein JSOnline.com

Brett Favre has defied convention since he joined the Green Bay Packers 15 years ago this month, traipsing through the snow in a T-shirt and flip-flops or firing touchdown passes recoiling back from the throw. As Favre lies low in Mississippi mulling his decision to play in 2007, most football people at Super Bowl XLI can't imagine him walking away without challenging the actuarial rates for aging quarterbacks.
"I know he's kind of wavering a little bit," said Ron Rivera, defensive coordinator of the Chicago Bears. "And believe me, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if he retired. But I love him in the game. I think he's a tremendous part of the game." Rivera and two members of his staff, defensive line coach Don Johnson and linebackers coach Bob Babich, unanimously agreed that Favre could and should play well in '07, which would be his 17th season. We have absolutely no doubt in our mind that if he were to play next year we'd be concerned," Babich said. "I don't know how his body feels and all that, but Brett Favre is a playmaker. "Still. To this day." Vonnie Holliday, Favre's teammate from 1998-'02 and now a defensive tackle for the Miami Dolphins, vividly recalls Favre's superb performance Oct. 22 in the Packers' 34-24 victory at Dolphin Stadium. "The guy probably can play forever," said Holliday, who is working the Super Bowl for a Miami television station. "If he really wanted to he could. He could be one of those 20-year quarterbacks. Against us he was the Brett Favre that I remember running around with that big boyish grin on his face." In other words, he should stay. For the second season in a row Favre performed considerably better early in the season than he did later on. His passer rating of 81.3 in the first nine games was followed by 61.0 in the last seven. Nevertheless, the final game often leaves more of an impression than it should, and Favre was very good in a 26-7 victory over the uninspired Bears Dec. 31 at Soldier Field. "Obviously, we saw it first hand in the last game," Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said. "Just remarkable. It's remarkable in terms of the things he still can do." Although Favre posted what easily was the lowest completion mark (56%) of his career, there appears to be no debate about his arm strength. "He can still throw the ball as well as most of the quarterbacks in the league," said Clyde Powers, director of pro personnel for the Indianapolis Colts. "I think it's his decision on just what he thinks the team is going to do." On Wednesday, Angelo said it was his opinion that 60% of the evaluation process for quarterbacks is based on intangibles, a view that he said was shared by former Dallas coach Bill Parcells. But it was the inability to throw the ball that drove Hall of Famers such as Bart Starr, Bob Griese and Terry Bradshaw from the game. Favre, whose intangibles always have been off the charts, has never had arm problems. "I don't think a lot of people understand that as long as he's making the throws he can still compete," Rivera said. "And he's still making the throws. I'm not sure that he should (retire) because he's still making the plays." Brian Griese, the Bears' backup quarterback, and Colts defensive line coach John Teerlinck both indicated that Favre still belonged among the top 10 or 12 quarterbacks in the league. Another player, Bears cornerback Charles Tillman, said that if Favre's family gives him the go-ahead he shouldn't look back. Jamie Dukes, an NFL Network analyst who was Favre's starting center for about half of the '94 season, was adamant about Favre being able to play well for three or four more seasons. "It's silly," said Dukes. "If they put the guys in front of him to protect him and get him a wide receiver, he'll be fine." But Favre has never wanted to be just "fine." There are a host of significant records within Favre's reach but all he seems to care about is remaining a competitive player on a competitive team. "Play as long as you can," CBS analyst Phil Simms said earlier this week. "When you think your career is over, try to get one more year out of it. You want to try to give yourself as many memories, as many thoughts to think about when you get done. "(Favre) played very well at the end of the year, basically for the whole year. He proved to everybody he could guide a team that was not looked upon to be great and still got it done."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=560201

Favre should go. Time to walk away with playoffs a mere illusion. by Silverstein JSOnline.com

Miami - You can tell Brett Favre is deep into the decision-making process. Earlier this week, he spoke at length with Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy about his future. On Wednesday, he spoke with former Packers quarterbacks coach Steve Mariucci about the same subject. "I can't tell you what he said," said Mariucci, who is at Super Bowl XLI as an analyst for the NFL Network. "That would be betraying his confidence. But he hasn't made a decision yet." Ask 100 people whether they think the 37-year-old Favre can still play football and 99 of them will say yes. The 100th would be a split-decision. Mariucci clearly is in the "Aye" group when it comes to those in favor of Favre continuing, as was every single person interviewed for this story. But there is much more to the quarterback's decision whether to play on than just his ability to perform at a high level. There is the capability of the team to compete for the Super Bowl, the potential for a debilitating injury, the mental toll of 22 weeks of practice and meetings, the possibility of tarnishing his legacy and the difficulty of spending more time away from his wife and children. "He is giving this all serious thought," Mariucci said. "He's doing his thing to determine football, family, future, how it all fits together right now. It's a commitment. He's going to really heavily consider his family in this next year. And he should, his daughter (Brittany) is going off to college and his little one (Breleigh) is still a kid. There's some thinking he has to do." As much as his fans would like him to come back, Favre has plenty of reasons to call it a career, not the least of which is that he has already accomplished what every NFL quarterback wants more than anything: a Super Bowl championship. The only player to win three Most Valuable Player awards in a row, Favre can leave the game now guaranteed of being a first-ballot Hall of Fame selection as well. What isn't guaranteed is an 11th post-season. The Packers finished 8-8 in 2006, winning their final four games, but they only beat one team with a winning record all season, and that was over a Chicago Bears team that had already clinched home-field advantage in the playoffs. "You know what, I think the thing he really truly has to ask himself is, 'How close are we really? Can we compete with the upper echelon teams?' " said former NFL tight end Shannon Sharpe, now a studio analyst for CBS. "You look at the Bears, they're a young football team. You look at the Cowboys, they're a young football team. You look at Seattle, you look at some of the other teams, New Orleans, they're a very, very young football team. " 'Are we in that class? Can we compete week in and week out?' If he answers yes, he should come back and if he answers no he should leave." The fear some people have of Favre coming back for another season is that he'll be stuck playing on another losing team. Until the 4-12 campaign in 2005, he had never played for a team with a losing record. What most people remember about Favre are all the glorious moments he had in 15 seasons as the Packers' starting quarterback. As he considers whether to come back and play another season, he could easily say to himself, 'Why bother? I have more to lose than I have to gain.' He would fall short of the Holy Grail of passing records, Dan Marino's all-time mark of 420 touchdowns, but so what? His all-time mark of 236 consecutive regular-season starts will last a lot longer than the touchdown record. "The only thing I fear about Brett playing is that I don't want the team to do badly," said former Denver linebacker Tom Jackson, currently a studio analyst for ESPN. "I don't want to watch 3-13 because I don't want that (to be my) memory of the end of Brett's career because I know how great a player he is." There are other factors. While most agree he can still perform at a high level, some aren't sure whether he can be the quarterback he once was. And if the mental toll catches up to him, the combination of a physical and mental slide could make for a disastrous season. What happens if in the middle of the season, he hits the wall mentally? He has been playing football non-stop since he was a kid and hasn't always had time to stop and smell the roses. As mentally tough as he is, the meetings, the practices, the film study and the off-the-field obligations add up as the years go by. Another factor for Favre is whether his return to what was the youngest roster in the NFL is a good fit for him. All of the veteran teammates who were friends or golfing and hunting partners - Frank Winters, Doug Pederson, Craig Nall, Ryan Longwell among them - are gone. The only player close to him in age is long snapper Rob Davis, who turned 38 in December. Only 18 of the 79 players on the current roster were more than 12 years old when Favre became the starting quarterback for the Packers. "There's a point where you become frustrated because he's a man now playing basically with kids," said Favre's former teammate, John Jurkovic. "I think the camaraderie he had with those guys he had before is the kind of camaraderie he's going to have to develop with these guys. There's no reason why he shouldn't be able to do it, but he doesn't have a ton in common with these guys except for the fact that he plays football. "I don't know if he's going to invite these guys down to go hunting...."

TopHat
02-01-2007, 12:08 AM
8) 8)

TopHat
02-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright

Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Rage, rage against the dying of the light. THOMAS

TOP HAT'S INSIDE VIEW OF FUTURE HOF BF & THE PREDICTION COMING TO THE GREEN BAY ACROSS THE FOX....

woodbuck27
02-01-2007, 02:11 PM
TOP DRAMA . . .TopHat. :)

woodbuck27
02-02-2007, 10:53 AM
http://milwaukee.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=milwaukee&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.greenbaypressgazette.com%2F

Posted February 2, 2007

Packers' Favre says he'll play in 2007

Press-Gazette

Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre is returning for the 2007 season, he said this morning in an exclusive interview with Al Jones of the Sun-Herald of Biloxi and Gulfport, Miss.

"I am so excited about coming back," he told Jones.

"We have a good nucleus of young players. We were 8-8 last year and that's encouraging. My offensive line looks good, the defense played good down the stretch. I'm excited about playing for a talented young football team."

For updates, visit www.packersnews.com throughout the day.

There YOU go Top Hat

GO PACKERS !

BF4MVP
02-02-2007, 11:00 AM
This is huge!

Partial
02-02-2007, 11:01 AM
He's back!!

ND72
02-02-2007, 11:04 AM
I just heard on 101.1 WIXX that that "interview" never took place, and it was from some superfan's "dream blog". Favre's Agent has even said Brett Favre has yet to speak on his decision. I'm not overly excited as of yet...and the fact this will most likely be it, the last year, doesn't overly excite me either, cause in 2 years we might be primed for a super bowl run, and we're starting essentially a rookie QB.

AtownPackFan
02-02-2007, 11:07 AM
SUN HERALD EXCLUSIVE
Favre to play in 2007
By AL JONES
SUN HERALD
Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre will return to play in the 2007.
TIM ISBELL/SUN HERALD
Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre will return to play in the 2007.

Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre will return for the 2007 season, he told the Sun Herald in an exclusive interview this morning.

"I am so excited about coming back," he said. "We have a good nucleus of young players. We were 8-8 last year and that's encouraging.

"My offensive line looks good, the defense played good down the stretch. I'm excited about playing for a talented young football team."

Favre, the former Hancock North Central and Southern Miss star, told the team about his return this morning. He said he'd made the decision after consulting with his family at home in Hattiesburg and that he knew he wanted to come back in the locker room after the season finale against the Chicago Bears.

Favre completed 56 percent of his passes in 2006, throwing for 18 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. The Packers finished 8-8 after a disappointing 2005 season where Favre threw 29 interceptions and had his first losing season as a starter.

Green Bay was in the playoff race until the final week of this season.

He needs one more victory to tie John Elway for most as a quarterback. Favre has completed more passes (5,021) than anyone in NFL history and needs seven touchdown passes to pass Dan Marino's record of 420.

Favre became the Green Bay Packers' quarterback three games into the 1992 season, and hasn't missed a start.

Favre's streak of 237 consecutive regular-season games started has been compared to Cal Ripken's record in baseball, and his three NFL Most Valuable Player awards put him in elite company.

In 1996, Favre was the guiding force to the Packers' first NFL championship in nearly 30 years. Green Bay beat the New England Patriots 35-21 in the Louisiana Superdome, just an hour's drive or so from his home in Hancock County.

"It's a great feeling," Favre said after the game. "The fans have been great and my hometown has been wonderful. It would be great anywhere, but it adds a little bit to it, doing it here, so close to home."

Favre and the Packers got back to the Super Bowl the next season, but lost to John Elway and the Denver Broncos 31-24. They never got back to the NFC championship game, but remained the best team in the NFC Central, which became the NFC North when the NFL expanded to 32 teams in 2002.

Favre spent his rookie season with the Atlanta Falcons, playing in just two games, before being traded to the Packers in 1992.

"In my mind, I remember saying this is my last opportunity," Favre said. "Whether that was true or not, I kind of put that pressure on myself."

Read more about Favre's return at sunherald.com throughout the day.

ND72
02-02-2007, 11:07 AM
I just heard on 101.1 WIXX that that "interview" never took place, and it was from some superfan's "dream blog". Favre's Agent has even said Brett Favre has yet to speak on his decision. I'm not overly excited as of yet...and the fact this will most likely be it, the last year, doesn't overly excite me either, cause in 2 years we might be primed for a super bowl run, and we're starting essentially a rookie QB.

and now, WIXX just changed what they first said into that it's true....i hate the media.

woodbuck27
02-02-2007, 11:08 AM
I am so pleased that Brett Favre decided to return for 2007 and most of all for PACKERRAT, Top Hat a huge Green Bay Packer and Brett Favre fan.

Nice job Top Hat in your dedication to keeping us updated on this very important story for the Packers upcoming season. :)

What a way to start the weekend. :) X 100

AtownPackFan
02-02-2007, 11:10 AM
nfl.com has it posted as well.....haven't found it on packers.com yet though

HarveyWallbangers
02-02-2007, 11:16 AM
I just heard on 101.1 WIXX that that "interview" never took place, and it was from some superfan's "dream blog".

superfan might take issue with this.
:D

MJZiggy
02-02-2007, 11:20 AM
I just heard on 101.1 WIXX that that "interview" never took place, and it was from some superfan's "dream blog".

superfan might take issue with this.

By the way, the Biloxi Sun Herald is not some fan's blog. It's their reporter and they wouldn't have published if they knew it was a blog...

Tony Oday
02-02-2007, 11:34 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6435260

red
02-02-2007, 11:49 AM
its official, TT has confirmed that brett has told the teams he's going to return

thank god

heres to the playoff run in 2007

from the anti-farve site PFT.com

POSTED 12:04 p.m. EST, February 2, 2007

FAVRE COMING BACK FOR 2007

Packers quarterback Brett Favre will play in 2007. On Friday, Favre told the Biloxi Sun-Herald of his intention to return.

"I am so excited about coming back," he said. "We have a good nucleus of young players. We were 8-8 last year and that's encouraging.

"My offensive line looks good, the defense played good down the stretch. I'm excited about playing for a talented young football team."

We heard just yesterday that several players expected Favre to be back. And why shouldn't he? Last year, there was a dark cloud hovering over the franchise like a UFO at a trailer park, and no obvious effort in the offseason to infuse big-name talent onto the roster.

Favre eventually opted to come back, and his decision initially looked like a bad one. But then the team began winning games, got itself into the playoff hunt, and wrapped things up with a New Year's Eve drubbing of the Bears.

In a conference that is more watered-down than the mixed drinks at a bar owned by George Costanza, the Packers have a great chance to make it to the playoffs in 2007. And who knows? Maybe Favre will get a chance to pull a John Elway and ride into the sunset with his second Lombardi in tow.

espn.com

Favre reportedly will play for Packers in '07Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Brett Favre will return for his 17th NFL season, undeterred by his injuries and hoping to lead the Green Bay Packers back to the playoffs.

Brett Favre
Quarterback
Green Bay Packers

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
Att Comp Yds TD Int Rat
613 343 3751 18 18 72.7

"I am so excited about coming back," the 37-year-old quarterback said Friday on the Web site of the Sun Herald in Biloxi, Miss. "We have a good nucleus of young players. We were 8-8 last year, and that's encouraging."

Packers general manager Ted Thompson confirmed Favre had told the team he plans to return.

"The Packers are excited by his decision and look forward to a successful 2007 campaign," Thompson said in a statement.

The team scheduled a 4 p.m. ET news conference Friday.

"My offensive line looks good, the defense played good down the stretch," Favre told the Biloxi newspaper. "I'm excited about playing for a talented young football team."

The news came as a surprise to Packers CEO Bob Harlan.

"I hadn't heard it, and I hadn't seen the Biloxi paper -- not that I read the Biloxi paper every day," Harlan told The Associated Press on Friday.

Favre last left the field in an emotional scene in Chicago after leading the Packers to a victory to finish the season 8-8.

He has started 257 consecutive games including the playoffs, an NFL record for quarterbacks. Favre broke Dan Marino's record for career completions (4,967) in 2006 and is closing in on Marino's marks for career touchdown passes (420) and yards passing (61,361).

As he has done in the past several offseasons, Favre returned to his home in Mississippi after the season to deliberate about his future. Last year, Favre waited until late April to tell the team he was returning.

Favre complained about nagging injuries and the drudgery of practice toward the end of last season, then choked back tears as he talked about missing the game and missing his teammates in a television interview immediately after the regular-season finale in Chicago -- leading many to believe he intended to retire.

Apparently, he couldn't resist one more chance to try to lead the Packers back to the playoffs after the Packers won their final four games and were in playoff contention until the final weekend of the regular season.

Favre has led the Packers to 10 postseason appearances, six division titles, three NFC Championship games, two Super Bowls and one championship following the 1996 season.

Favre was acquired in a trade by former Packers general manager Ron Wolf after one season as a backup in Atlanta in 1991. He completed his first NFL pass -- to himself -- on Sept. 13, 1992, catching a deflection and losing 7 yards.

The following week, he replaced injured starter Don Majkowski in the third quarter and led the Packers to a come-from-behind 24-23 victory over Cincinnati.

Favre started in place of Majkowski on Sept. 27, 1992, beginning the streak he often has called his biggest personal accomplishment. The 237-game regular-season streak is nearly six seasons ahead of the Colts' Peyton Manning at 144.

Favre's accomplishments include winning three league MVP awards -- he shared 1997 honors with Detroit Lions running back Barry Sanders -- and throwing two touchdown passes in a 35-21 victory over the New England Patriots in the 1997 Super Bowl to give the Packers their first championship in 29 years. Earlier in that championship season, Favre spent time in the Menninger Clinic in Topeka, Kan., battling an addiction to painkillers.

Favre led the Packers back to the Super Bowl the following season, but they lost to Elway's Denver Broncos 31-24.-

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

MJZiggy
02-02-2007, 11:51 AM
TT is holding a press conference at 3 p.m. Central for those who haven't seen Packers.com yet.

TopHat
02-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Today, I was away, just hearing the great news & reactions.

I will post a finale editorial and previews after the Super bowl.

Echo shadow coming....

The Shadow
02-02-2007, 07:19 PM
yawn.

And here we go!

chewy-bacca
02-03-2007, 08:07 AM
once again its on! :pack:

TopHat
02-04-2007, 04:35 PM
I am so pleased that Brett Favre decided to return for 2007 and most of all for PACKERRAT, Top Hat a huge Green Bay Packer and Brett Favre fan.

Nice job Top Hat in your dedication to keeping us updated on this very important story for the Packers upcoming season. :)

What a way to start the weekend. :) X 100

TOP HAT'S FOOTNOTE: THANKS.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

motife
02-04-2007, 04:42 PM
trivia question :

who caught Favre's first completed pass in a regular season game as a Green Bay Packer?

esoxx
02-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Himself?

motife
02-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Himself?

you are correct. against the Bucs, his first pass was batted in the air and he caught it for a 7 yard loss.

it was actually his first NFL completion too.

his first pass for Atlanta was intercepted and run back for a TD. his other 4 passes for the Falcons were another interception and 3 incompletions.

typically zany Favre beginning to his career.

TopHat
02-05-2007, 03:08 PM
http://packers.scout.com/2/615485.html

Thompson happy to take Favre's call by Lawrence Scout.com

GM Ted Thompson says Brett Favre made no pleas to upgrade the offense, and isn't sure if his veteran QB will have ankle surgery. Even Mr. Even Keel himself, Ted Thompson, must have had his heart skip a beat when he looked at his Caller ID during a meeting Friday. Thompson stepped out of the room to take a call he had been waiting for since the day after the 2006 regular season ended. “I think he said something about, ‘I think I’m going to give it another shot,’ something like that,” Thompson said during a news conference Friday to talk about Brett Favre’s decision to come back for a 17th NFL season. “And I said, ‘That sounds good to me...."

http://packers.scout.com/2/615350.html

With Favre returning, all is well By Doug Ritchay Scout.com

Quarterback's decision to return a relief for Packers fans. With the possibility of the Chicago Bears winning the Super Bowl this weekend, Green Bay Packers fans needed something positive to hang onto, just in case Bears fans make lives miserable next week and beyond. Packers quarterback Brett Favre came to the rescue today when he announced he will return in 2007. The story was first broke by the Sun Herald (Biloxi, Miss). “I am so excited about coming back,” Favre told the Sun Herald. “We have a good nucleus of young players. We were 8-8 last year and that's encouraging. My offensive line looks good, the defense played good down the stretch. I'm excited about playing for a talented, young football team...."

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=615543&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fpackers.scout.com%2f2%2f 615543.html

Timing of Favre decision good for free agency. By Todd Korth Scout.com

Packers likely to attract players who can make an impact.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070204/PKR01/702040652/1989

Favre's return: Decision brightens Packers' prospects by Pete Dougherty Packersnews.com

Brett Favre's early announcement of his return for the 2007 NFL season changes the tenor of the Green Bay Packers' offseason from a year ago. This year was going to be different, anyway, because coach Mike McCarthy and his assistants have had a year to establish their program. Last year at this time, McCarthy was a first-time head coach putting together a staff and identity for the team, and General Manager Ted Thompson was remaking the Packers' roster. Favre's announcement Friday profoundly enhances the team's stability going into the offseason, whereas last year, his status was the major question that lingered over the team until he determined in late April he was coming back. When McCarthy and Thompson met with Favre after the season, they agreed they couldn't repeat last year, when the Packers went into the start of free agency in March not knowing whether Favre would return and didn't find out until the week of the draft. "All of us," Thompson said, "Brett included, knew it was better for the organization, better for him, better for everybody and his teammates, who he was quite concerned with, to decide this earlier. There were fewer uncertainties going into this offseason. Last season, there was a coaching change and other things that (the Favres) had to work through." With Favre coming back, the Packers don't have to pursue a veteran quarterback in free agency to back up Aaron Rodgers, who would have been in his first season as an NFL starter had Favre not returned. "I'd think (the early decision) would help (Thompson and McCarthy) a lot, particularly when you consider the alternative," said Ron Wolf, the Packers' former GM. "What would be the alternative in free agency if he says, 'I'm not coming back?' Who do you go get to be your (backup) quarterback? So, I'd think that would help them immensely." Though Wolf doesn't study NFL personnel anything like he did as GM, he considers Favre "easily" among the top 10 quarterbacks in the game, even at 37. He said the top echelon of quarterbacks includes Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer, with perhaps a couple or several others. "After you get by the first tier, (Favre's) got to be right in there with the rest of them," Wolf said. Though Favre's return for his 17th NFL season and 16th as the Packers' starter adds to the Packers' stability and is an endorsement of Thompson's rebuilding program and McCarthy's coaching, it's difficult to know how it will affect Thompson's personnel moves this offseason. McCarthy and Favre discussed upgrading the team's offensive personnel in a phone conversation early last week that Favre found encouraging, though Thompson said Favre neither asked for nor was given any promises. Regardless, with or without Favre, the Packers need help at the skill positions after remaking their offensive line via the draft last year. Even if they re-sign halfback Ahman Green, which Thompson has said he wants to do, the Packers need to upgrade their playmaking abilities at that position, receiver and tight end. Thompson has a cautious philosophy regarding signing other teams' players in big-money free agency, but showed last year he's not averse by spending a combined $17 million in first-year pay for cornerback Charles Woodson and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett. "We feel like if we're doing things to help the team get better," Thompson said, "whoever the quarterback is, whether it's Brett or whomever it might be, we're going to try to get better, and if we can do that in free agency, we'll do that. It doesn't always work out. It takes two to tango." Favre's decision might help a little in recruiting for free agency, because it helps the Packers maintain their look of an ascending team after improving to 8-8 last season with a young roster after going 4-12 in 2005. However, contract offers always will be the main recruiting tool in free agency, and any free agent considering signing with the Packers probably will assume Favre is down to his last year or two as a player, anyway. More than anything, Favre's early announcement removes the huge question that hung over the team last year. That could help McCarthy carry over the good feelings from the Packers' four straight wins to end last season. "I think (Favre) likes the team and the team likes him," Thompson said. "That's not to say — at some point in the future — Brett Favre is not going to be the quarterback of the Green Bay Packers. We're not going to fold our tents. We're still going to line up and play. But we're certainly happy to have Brett and Aaron on our team."

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070203/PKR07/702030553/1959

Favre warms hearts of Packers Nation By Mike Woods Packersnews.com

Give Brett Favre this, he has the ability to rise to the moment. On the coldest day of the year, with the fierceness of winter turning our outlooks black and our noses blue, the Green Bay Packers quarterback warmed the hearts of an entire state — and the entire NFL Network on a news-starved day at the Super Bowl — by announcing on Friday he will return for a 17th NFL season and his 16th in Green Bay. This is obviously good news for the Packers, the NFL and talking heads across the nation, who have transformed Favre Gushing into a national pastime. For the Packers and their faithful, the immediate benefit is the momentum built at the end of last season — four straight wins to close the year at 8-8 — will not be stymied. Hope and enthusiasm for 2007 will continue to blossom, regardless if it's real or imagined, and that's OK. Training camp will open on a positive note, and that's all second-year coach Mike McCarthy and his staff can ask. It will be up to them to maintain it. Whether the Packers and General Manager Ted Thompson, with all that loot at his feet, can provide Favre with some needed additional offensive weapons is to be determined. Whether the young offensive line takes another step forward remains to be seen. Whether the defense will continue to play smart and assignment-sure football — as it did for most of the last month — or whether it will revert to its Jets/Patriots ways is open to debate. And whether Favre can continue to raise his game — a good but certainly not great 2006 was better than his disastrous 2005 season – and whether he can continue to stay healthy also are things only the calendar can reveal. As Favre's former quarterbacks coach Steve Mariucci sat on the NFL Network set in Miami on Friday for its live coverage of the Super Bowl talking about Favre's return, his cell phone was buzzing in his pocket. It was Favre, from his kitchen in Mississippi, having a little fun with his pal. But after Mariucci returned the call, he relayed the story of a conversation he had just a couple of days earlier with Favre, saying how he felt he should come back, and if he did, how he should sell out; get in the best shape of his life, attack minicamps and training camp with vigor and prepare to have his best season. It's great advice, and hopefully Favre will heed it. Still, it will take more than that. As for getting Favre some much-needed help, the free-agent pool at wide receiver, tight end and running back is unimpressive, and while a possible trade for the cantankerous Randy Moss may make sense to Favre, it may not make sense to the Packers. Moss is a migraine in waiting, and while it may be amiable for a time, his history says it won't last. And when Favre retires, then what? But those are matters to be resolved in the future weeks and months. Today, the only thing that matters is the Packers know they have a chance. A chance to succeed in NFL Lite, more commonly known as the NFC. A chance, if the circumstances align favorably, to be the New Orleans Saints of 2007, or perhaps better. In any event, they have a better chance to succeed with Favre than without. After 16 years in Green Bay, that story remains the same. And suddenly, as you step outside today, it doesn't feel quite as cold.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=561223

A possible playoff push nudged Favre back by Gary D'AMATO JSOnline.com

Brett Favre isn't coming back to pad his bank account or break Dan Marino's records. He isn't coming back because his family and friends want him to play another year. Favre is coming back for a 17th season in the National Football League for one reason: He thinks the Green Bay Packers have a chance to be a good team in 2007. A playoff team. Maybe even a playoff team that wins a game or two and, if all the pieces fall into place, makes a run at the Super Bowl....

http://www.jsonline.com/index/index.aspx?id=44 Packer Insider: Columns

1. Packers need more than Favre
2. Packers' faithful can exhale
3. Favre gives Packers a chance
4. Favre's return great news
5. Favre keeps drama level low
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Favre in the Record Book

PASSING YARDS

1 Dan Marino 61,361
2 Brett Favre 57,500
3 John Elway 51,475

TD PASSES

1 Dan Marino 420
2 Brett Favre 414
3 Fran Tarkenton 342

MOST SEASONS, 3,000 YARDS

1 Brett Favre 15
2 Dan Marino 13
3 John Elway 12

PASSING ATTEMPTS

1 Dan Marino 8,358
2 Brett Favre 8,224
3 John Elway 7,250

COMPLETIONS

1 Brett Favre 5,021
2 Dan Marino 4,967
3 John Elway 4,123

VICTORIES AS STARTING QB

1 John Elway 148
2 Brett Favre 147
2 Dan Marino 147

CONSECUTIVE GAMES STARTED*

1 Jim Marshall 270
2 Mick Tingelhoff 240
3 Brett Favre 237
4 Bruce Matthews 229

CONSECUTIVE GAMES STARTED, QB*

1 Brett Favre 237
2 Peyton Manning 144
3 Ron Jaworski 116

*Favre started 257 straight games including playoffs

....AND MORE NEW RECORDS COMING.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070203/PKR01/702030563/1058/PKRFeatures

Favre returns: Career timeline

Joined the Packers on Feb. 10, arriving from Atlanta in a trade with the Falcons. Green Bay gave up its first-round draft pick. … Made regular-season debut on Sept. 13, when he mopped up in 21-3 loss at Tampa Bay. Completed first NFL pass to himself, catching a deflected pass for a 7-yard loss. … Burst onto the scene on Sept. 20, when he came on in relief of Don Majkowski, who injured an ankle. He rallied the Packers to a 24-23 victory over the Bengals at Lambeau Field, throwing a 35-yard TD pass to Kitrick Taylor with just 13 seconds left. … Started first game on Sept. 27, a 17-3 win over the Steelers at Lambeau Field. … Started every game for rest of season. … Impressed future teammate Reggie White by leading 27-24 comeback win over Eagles in Milwaukee on Nov. 15 despite separated left shoulder. ... Set team records with 64.12 passing percentage and 11 games of 200 yards passing. … Played in Pro Bowl as a backup.

Started all 16 games and two playoff games. … Sustained deep thigh bruise against Buccaneers on Nov. 28, but threw game-winning, 2-yard TD pass to Sterling Sharpe on next play for 13-10 comeback victory. … Set team record with 36 completions in a 30-17 loss at Chicago on Dec. 5. That also was his first 400-yard game; he threw for 402 yards. … Led NFC with 318 completions. … Earned first playoff victory with TD pass to Sharpe with 55 seconds left in 28-24 wild-card win over Lions at Pontiac, Mich., on Jan. 8. … Played in Pro Bowl as a backup. … Hancock North Central High School in Kiln, Miss., retired his No. 10 jersey in April. … University of Southern Mississippi retired his No. 4 jersey in September.

Started all 16 games and two playoff games. … Forced out of game for first time with a badly bruised left hip at Minnesota on Oct. 20. … Had a career-high 58 yards rushing the next week in a 33-6 win at Chicago in a driving rainstorm on Halloween night. … Dived into end zone at end of 9-yard TD run with 14 seconds left, capping Packers' comeback for 21-17 win over Falcons on Dec. 18, in last game played at Milwaukee County Stadium. … Set team records of 33 TD passes, 363 completions and 3.24 career interception percentage.

Started all 16 games and three playoff games. … Set team record with 99-yard TD pass to Robert Brooks in 27-24 win at Chicago on Sept. 11. … Had career-high 40-yard run in 24-14 win at Jacksonville on Sept. 24. … Badly sprained his left ankle in second quarter of 27-24 loss at Minnesota on Nov. 5. … Came back next week and threw five TD passes, tying team record, in 35-28 win over Bears at Lambeau Field on Nov. 12. … Took several hard hits, but led Packers to NFC Central Division title in 24-19 win over Steelers at Lambeau Field on Christmas Eve. … Set team postseason record of 75 percent passing (21 of 28) in 27-17 divisional-round win at San Francisco on Jan. 6. … Set team record of seven 300-yard passing games. … Shared team lead with three rushing TDs. … Threw two or more TD passes in 12 consecutive games, tying NFL record. … Led NFL with 4,413 passing yards and 38 TD passes. … Led NFC with 99.5 passer rating. … Started in Pro Bowl. … Named NFL's most valuable player.

Had surgery to remove bone chips and large spur from left ankle on Feb. 27. … Admitted addiction to painkiller Vicodin in May, then spent 45 days in treatment at Menninger Clinic in Topeka, Kan. … After 12 years together, he married Deanna Tynes on July 14 at St. Agnes Catholic Church in Green Bay. … Started all 16 games and three playoff games. … His 50-yard Hail Mary pass to Antonio Freeman on last play of first half was one of four TD passes in 37-6 win at Chicago on Oct. 6. … Set team record with 61 pass attempts in 23-20 overtime win over 49ers at Lambeau Field on Oct. 14. … Led Packers to first NFL title in 29 years with 35-21 win over Patriots in Super Bowl XXXI in New Orleans on Jan. 26. Audibled a 54-yard TD pass to Andre Rison on his first throw of game. Set Super Bowl record with an 81-yard TD pass to Freeman in second quarter. … Set team and NFC records with NFL-leading 39 TD passes. … Led NFC with 3,899 yards passing. … Started in Pro Bowl. … Named NFL's most valuable player. … Founded Brett Favre Fourward Foundation, which benefits charities in Wisconsin and Mississippi.

Started all 16 games and three playoff games. … Set team record with 153rd TD pass, a 28-yarder to Freeman in second quarter of 38-32 win over Vikings at Lambeau Field on Sept. 21. Tied team record with 5 TD passes in that game. … Had streak of 24 TD passes without interception during season. … Threw 3 TD passes in 31-24 loss to Broncos in Super Bowl XXXII in San Diego on Jan. 25. … Led NFL with 37 passes of 25 or more yards. … Led NFC with 304 completions and 3,867 passing yards. … Chosen as Pro Bowl starter, but didn't play because of knee injury. … Named NFL's most valuable player, sharing honor with Lions running back Barry Sanders. … Inducted into Southern Miss Sports Hall of Fame in April. … His autobiography, "Favre: For the Record," written with Press-Gazette columnist Chris Havel, sells more than 100,000 copies.

Started all 16 games and one playoff game. … Tied team record with 5 TD passes while rallying Packers to 37-30 victory at Carolina on Sept. 27. … Became Packers' career passing yardage leader on 62-yard TD pass to Freeman in fourth quarter of 36-22 win over 49ers at Lambeau Field on Nov. 1. … Threw TD pass in 10th straight postseason game, hitting Freeman with a 15-yarder for a 27-23 lead with 1:56 left in wild-card game at San Francisco on Jan. 3, but 49ers rallied to win 30-27 on TD with 3 seconds left. … Led NFL with 347 completions and 4,212 passing yards. … Appeared in hit film, "There's Something About Mary," as Cameron Diaz's boyfriend.

Sustained season-long sprained right thumb when it hit the helmet of Broncos linebacker John Mobley during preseason game in Madison on Aug. 23. … Started all 16 games. … Led Packers to comeback wins in three of first four games. … Despite having aggravated thumb injury, he threw a 1-yard TD pass to Jeff Thomason with 11 seconds left to beat Raiders 28-24 at Lambeau Field on opening day, Sept. 12. … Threw a 23-yard TD pass to Corey Bradford with 12 seconds left to beat Vikings 23-20 at Lambeau Field on Sept. 26. … Drove Packers 73 yards in 40 seconds and threw a 21-yard TD pass over blitz to Freeman with 1:05 left to beat Buccaneers 26-23 at Lambeau Field on Oct. 10. … Started 117th straight game, setting NFL record for a quarterback, against Bears at Lambeau Field on Nov. 7. … Led NFL with 595 pass attempts. … Second daughter, Breleigh, born on July 13.

Started all 16 games. … Sat out almost two weeks of training camp and missed last three preseason games with tendinitis on outside of right elbow. … Threw underhanded 5-yard TD pass to Ahman Green and game-winning 43-yard TD pass to Freeman in 26-20 overtime win over Vikings on Nov. 6 at Lambeau Field. … Left game with badly sprained left foot when sacked by Buccaneers' Warren Sapp in third quarter of 20-15 loss at Tampa Bay on Nov. 12. … Returned next week to throw for 301 yards and two TDs in 26-24 upset of Colts at Lambeau Field on Nov. 19. … Earned 100th victory with Packers, including playoffs, by leading 58-yard drive for field goal to beat Buccaneers 17-14 in season finale on Christmas Eve at Lambeau Field. … Led NFC with 580 passes attempted.

Signed contract on March 1 ensuring he'll finish career with the Packers. … Started all 16 games and two playoff games. … Was 27-of-34 passing for 337 yards — his 30th 300-yard game — and 3 TDs in 31-23 victory over defending Super Bowl champion Ravens on Oct. 14 at Lambeau Field. … Ran for game-winning TD on 6-yard bootleg around left end with 1:30 left in 28-21 victory at Jacksonville on Dec. 3. … Set team postseason record by going 22-of-29 passing (75.86 percent) — including 16-of-21 in second half — in 25-15 wild-card playoff victory over 49ers on Jan. 13 at Lambeau Field. Tied NFL record with six interceptions in 45-17 divisional playoff loss at St. Louis on Jan. 20. … Chosen as Pro Bowl starter, but didn't play because of back and abdominal injuries.

Started all 16 games and one playoff game. … Went over 40,000 career passing yards in 34-21 win at Chicago on Oct. 7. … Threw 300th career TD pass — an 8-yarder to Green in second quarter — in 28-10 win at New England on Oct. 13. … Left game early in third quarter after spraining lateral collateral ligament in left knee on sack by Washington's LaVar Arrington in 30-9 win over Redskins at Lambeau Field on Oct. 20. … Wearing a knee brace and having had a bye week to rest, goes 16-of-25 passing for 187 yards and a TD in 24-10 win over Dolphins at Lambeau Field on Nov. 4. … Threw TD pass in 13th straight postseason game, tying NFL record, in 27-7 wild-card playoff loss to Falcons at Lambeau Field on Jan. 4. … Led NFC with 341 completions and 551 attempts. … Tied with Saints' Aaron Brooks, his former backup, for NFC lead with 27 TD passes. … Chosen as Pro Bowl starter, but didn't play because of foot, ankle and knee injuries. … Named NFL's player of the year by Sports Illustrated.

Started all 16 games and two playoff games. … Broke his right thumb when it hit left guard Mike Wahle's shoulder pad during followthrough on second pass of game in 34-24 loss at St. Louis on Oct. 19. Wore a splint on the thumb for rest of season. … Set team record by playing in 188th consecutive game in 34-21 win over Bears on Dec. 7. … Set team record of 23 consecutive games with TD pass on 7-yard toss to Donald Driver in second quarter of 38-21 win at San Diego on Dec. 14. … Playing the night after the unexpected death of his father, Irvin, in Mississippi, he led Packers to 41-7 at Oakland on Dec. 22. Was 22-of-30 passing for 399 yards and four TDs; had career-best 311 yards to go with 3 TDs in first half. His 23-yard TD pass to Javon Walker in first quarter was 343rd of career, moving him into second place in NFL history. Set team record with 154.9 passer rating. … Set NFL record with TD pass in 14 consecutive postseason games with 23-yard toss to Bubba Franks in second quarter of 33-27 wild-card playoff win over Seahawks at Lambeau Field on Jan. 4. Extended record to 15 games with 40-yard TD pass to Robert Ferguson in first quarter of 20-17 divisional playoff loss at Philadelphia on Jan. 11. … Led NFC and set team record with career-best 65.4 completion percentage (308 of 471 passing, the latter a career low). … Chosen as Pro Bowl backup.

Started all 16 games and one playoff game. … Set NFL record of 25 straight games with TD pass against same opponent with 18-yard toss to Ferguson in third quarter of 21-10 loss to Bears at Lambeau Field on Sept. 19. … Already playing with bruised left hamstring, he left game in third quarter with concussion after defensive linemen William Joseph and Keith Washington fell on him during 14-7 loss to Giants at Lambeau Field on Oct. 3. Did so only after putting himself back in game without coaches' knowledge despite concussion and throwing 28-yard TD to Walker. … Set team record with 197th game played, a 38-10 win at Detroit on Oct. 17. … Made 200th consecutive start in 45-17 win over Rams at Lambeau Field on Nov. 29. Set NFL record of 11 straight years with 20 or more TD passes on 7-yard toss to Franks in second quarter. … Team-record streak of 36 games with a TD pass ended in 47-17 loss at Philadelphia on Dec. 5. … Had NFL-record 13th straight 3,000-yard passing season, tying him with Dan Marino for most such seasons. … Chosen as Pro Bowl alternate. … Hancock North Central High School in Kiln, Miss., renamed football field as Brett Favre Field on May 8 and dedicated a life-size statue of Favre at its entrance. … Wife, Deanna, was diagnosed with breast cancer in mid-October and immediately started treatment.

Started all 16 games. … Set NFL record by reaching 3,000 yards passing for 14th season, surpassing Marino on first-quarter pass to Ferguson during 16-13 win over Lions at Lambeau Field on Dec. 11. … Set NFL record for most touchdown passes at a stadium during 26-24 loss to Browns at Lambeau Field on Sept. 18; ended season with 187 after 9-yard TD pass to Antonio Chatman in 23-17 win over Seahawks on Jan. 1. Old record was 180, by John Elway at Mile High Stadium in Denver. … Became third quarterback in NFL history with 50,000 passing yards, also during Sept. 18 loss to Browns. … Surpassed 51,000 passing yards in 23-20 loss at Minnesota on Oct. 23. … Moved into second place on NFL career list for passing yards and attempts, surpassing Elway, during 21-14 loss at Cincinnati on Oct. 30. … Endured first losing season of career — NFL, college or high school — as Packers went 4-12. … Sat out fourth quarter of 48-3 blowout loss at Baltimore on Dec. 19. … Fans chanted "One more year!" and Favre took a curtain call near end of season-ending win over Seahawks at Lambeau Field. … Before season, Favre waited two months, until March 10, before telling Packers he'd be back in 2005. … Men's Journal honored Favre as "the toughest guy in America." … Spent part of offseason working with personal trainer, doing core training to get in better shape for training camp. … Sold his five-bedroom, five-bath, 7,800-square-foot home on Green Bay's west side in May. No purchase price disclosed; listed for $895,000. … Wife, Deanna, said in mid-June her treatment for breast cancer had been successful. … Hurricane Katrina destroyed Favre's boyhood home in Kiln, Miss., and threatened the lives of several family members on Aug. 29. Favre and Titans quarterback Steve McNair organized hurricane relief efforts for people in their native Mississippi. Brett Favre Fourward Foundation raised more than $912,000 for hurricane relief. … Favre's No. 4 will be retired when his career is over, Packers President Bob Harlan said in September. He will be the sixth player so honored.

Started all 16 games, extending consecutive-game streak to 237. It is longest active streak in NFL, third-longest in NFL history and a record for quarterbacks. Moved past lineman Bruce Matthews into third place with 230th straight start on Nov. 12 at Minnesota. … Became NFL's career leader in completions, with 5,021 at season's end. Surpassed Marino's old record of 4,967 completions on a 21-yard pass to Carlyle Holiday during Dec. 17 game against Lions at Lambeau Field. … Extended to 16 seasons his NFL records of most seasons with 3,000 yards passing and most consecutive seasons with 3,000 yards passing. … Became only second player in NFL history with 400 touchdown passes with 75-yard pass to Greg Jennings on Sept. 24 at Detroit. Finished season with 413; Marino's record is 420. That pass also gave Favre 10 career TD passes of 75 or more yards, tying NFL record shared by George Blanda, Ed Brown, Len Dawson, Sonny Jurgenson and Norm Snead. … Became only second player in NFL history with 25,000 yards passing in a single stadium during Oct. 29 game against Cardinals at Lambeau Field. Has 25,765 yards at Lambeau. Elway holds record of 27,889 yards at Mile High Stadium in Denver. … Said 26-0 loss to Bears in Sept. 10 season opener at Lambeau Field was the first time he could remember being shut out at any level of football. It happened a second time, in 35-0 loss to Patriots at Lambeau Field on Nov. 19. … The 23-20 loss to Rams on Oct. 8 at Lambeau Field was his first loss in a game in which he didn't throw an interception. … Ran 1 yard for touchdown, his first running TD in almost five years, then did first career Lambeau Leap in 31-14 win over Cardinals on Oct. 29. … Before season, Favre waited until April 25, four days before the NFL draft, to tell the Packers, simply, "I'm in" for 2006. That was six weeks longer than he took to decide the year before. … After Packers started 0-2, Favre said he wouldn't want to be traded to a playoff contender. General Manager Ted Thompson said he couldn't "imagine a scenario where that would happen." … Missed final series of 31-9 loss to Eagles at Philadelphia on Oct. 2 after sustaining minor head and shoulder injuries. … Packers Pro Shop sold $1 million of Favre merchandise in 2005, accounting for almost 6 percent of total revenue. … Missed second half of Nov. 19 loss to Patriots after hitting ulnar nerve, or funny bone, in right elbow while being sacked. Had numbness, tingling and weakness in passing arm and hand. … Appeared on cover of Sports Illustrated in last week of November. … Choked back tears during interview with NBC's Andrea Kremer after season-ending 26-7 win over Bears at Chicago on Dec. 31. He said: "If this is my last game, I want to remember it. It's tough. I love these guys. I love this game. What a great way to go out against a great football team. I couldn't ask for a better way to get out."

Announced on Friday that he would return for a 17th NFL season and 16th with the Packers....

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

TopHat
02-05-2007, 04:00 PM
TOP HAT'S FOOTNOTE: FORGET WILDE'S ARTICLE...HERE IS THE RIGHT DIRECTION:

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=340

On the Sideline. by JA Packerchatters.com

With Brett Favre officially returning to the Packers, they have tentatively targeted Randy Moss, Drew Bennett, Clinton Portis and Willis McGahee as players they may try to land to help Favre on the offensive side of the ball. Look for Ted Thompson and the Packers to use this draft to upgrade the offensive side of the ball. The wide receiver position, tight end and running back position all will be upgraded according to my source. Randy Moss will be moved from Oakland according to my source, and the Packers seem like the likely detonation, but at what cost? Oakland would like a 2nd round pick, but with all of Moss' baggage Ted Thompson may push for a 3rd rounder and a player (Robert Ferguson or Ruvell Martin). Moss has told friends close to him that he would relish the opportunity to play for the Packers and he would do things that no other wide receiver has done in the NFL with #4 (Brett Favre) throwing him the ball. I have also been told that Donald Driver is "cool with the move" if Moss is brought in. The Packers would like to re-sign Ahman Green to a one or 2 year deal but the running back may be looking to get a big payday and teams that may have interest include the Jets, Giants, Raiders and Bills.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Sunday morning that "a Packers source confirmed" that Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre "has asked the team to seriously consider a trade for disgruntled wide receiver Randy Moss." Mortensen reported "a Raiders source" saying Raiders owner Al Davis "will only ask for a third-round pick and a receiver for a trade."

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070203/PKR01/702030555/1058/PKRFeatures

Favre returns: Retirement can wait. QB is 'so excited' for 16th season with Packers By Pete Dougherty Packersnews.com

Ted Thompson was in a meeting at the Green Bay Packers' offices this morning when his cell phone rang. The caller ID showed Brett Favre was on the line. The team's general manager stepped out of the room and answered the call. "I think he said something about, 'I think I'm going to give it another shot,' something like that," Thompson said at a press conference on Friday afternoon. "And I said, 'That sounds good to me.' We talked about some other things, but that's how I found out." And so it is: Brett Favre, at age 37, is returning for his 16th season as the Green Bay Packers' quarterback and 17th season in the NFL. Shortly after calling Thompson, Favre sent a text message to a friend, Al Jones, who's a reporter at his local newspaper in Mississippi, the Biloxi Sun Herald, telling him that he's playing another season. "I am so excited about coming back," the 37-year-old Favre told Jones, who reported it on the Sun Herald's Web site. "We have a good nucleus of young players. We were 8-8 last year, and that's encouraging." The Sun Herald also reported that Favre was leaning toward returning when the regular season ended with the Packers' 26-7 win at Chicago. That contradicts the impression he gave in his postgame TV interview with NBC that night, when his emotional response and statement that playing well in that game made his decision harder, suggesting he was leaning toward retirement. "My offensive line looks good; the defense played good down the stretch," Favre was quoted in the Sun Herald. "I'm excited about playing for a talented young football team." While Favre was predisposed to playing again this year, a source with knowledge of the decision said his phone conversations with coach Mike McCarthy early this week and former quarterbacks coach Steve Mariucci helped put him over the top in deciding to return. Besides the improvement he saw on the offensive line and defense as a whole, Favre's conversation with McCarthy also was encouraging, because the coach said that augmenting the skill positions on offense will be a priority this offseason, the source said. The Packers' greatest needs on offense are a receiver who can stretch the field with pure speed; a quality halfback either to share time with Ahman Green or take over the starting role if the Packers are unable to sign him; and a tight end who poses a consistent, quality threat in the passing game. The Packers can address any of those needs in free agency, the draft or a trade. The source said that among other things, Favre is in favor of trading for disgruntled Oakland receiver Randy Moss. Favre and Moss formerly shared the same agent, Bus Cook, and they know, like and respect each other. The Raiders have had preliminary trade talks with several teams, and the Packers presumably at least have inquired about him. However, whether Oakland is willing to deal Moss at a price that's palatable to Thompson is a major question. Regardless, Thompson said no one made any promises to Favre about any personnel moves. "He didn't ask for any, either," Thompson said Friday. Favre also talked Wednesday with Mariucci, the former 49ers and Lions coach who was Favre's first quarterbacks coach with the Packers and remains a close friend. A source said that Mariucci reiterated what Favre's family and friends have advised him, that he should play if he thinks he's capable, because he'll have the rest of his life for retirement. In the meantime, Bob Harlan, the Packers' chairman and CEO, hadn't heard the news of Favre's return when a reporter called him at about 11 a.m. Friday. He had a meeting scheduled with Thompson about 20 minutes later, when he'd get the official word from his GM. Harlan correctly predicted last month that Favre would come back for another season. "This is a big plus," Harlan said. "We went from 4-12 to 8-8 and we took a big step and the team stayed together. "We're making strides. It's a young team with a lot of potential. To get your leader back would be huge." Until Friday, Thompson hadn't spoken with Favre for a month, though the two had exchanged several messages. He and McCarthy met with Favre immediately after the season ended and stressed they wanted him back this year, and the understated Thompson sounded happy that he'll have the future Hall of Famer back for at least one more year. "Like most people that like the game of football, they like the fact that Brett Favre's playing," Thompson said. "It's certainly good for the Packers and good for this team, and it's good for the NFL. As long as he's healthy and happy and playing, it's a good thing for all of us." With Favre's salary at $11 million, Thompson and McCarthy wouldn't have been so adamant about asking Favre to return unless they thought he'd be an effective quarterback. Favre, though, is approaching a benchmark age — he turns 38 in October. Many scouts and coaches consider that an age when even great quarterbacks are susceptible to a precipitous dropoff in performance. "You watch for those kind of things," Thompson said. "I haven't seen any evidence of any declining physical ability for him to play the game. He's one of those rare birds you see once in a generation that can play at a very, very high level for an extended amount of time. When that time comes for him not to be able to produce that way, I don't know when it's going to be, but I don't see any evidence of it." Thompson said he and Favre did not discuss whether Favre might play beyond 2007. Last year Favre waited until late April before deciding to return. In 2005, he made his decision in early March.

TopHat
02-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Are you glad that Brett Favre is coming back in '07?

Yes (94.8%)

No (5.2%)
__________________________________________________ _________________________________

Do you think Brett Favre's return makes the Packers a playoff team in '07?

Yes (83.7%)

No (16.3%)

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

:lol: :wink: :wink: :lol:

Scott Campbell
02-05-2007, 05:35 PM
......Randy Moss will be moved from Oakland according to my source, and the Packers seem like the likely detonation.......

Interesting slip of the tongue.

BallHawk
02-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Bonus Trivia on Favre's first pass.

Who was he throwing too?(HINT: RB/FB who played 6 seasons in the NFL total, five with SF and his final season with Green Bay.

Who deflected Favre's pass?(HINT: DL who over his 8 year career played with Tampa, Pittsburgh, and Carolina. Played 89-97.

HarveyWallbangers
02-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Who was he throwing too?(HINT: RB/FB who played 6 seasons in the NFL total, five with SF and his final season with Green Bay.

Harry Sydney?

Who deflected Favre's pass?(HINT: DL who over his 8 year career played with Tampa, Pittsburgh, and Carolina. Played 89-97.

Ray Seals?

I cheated on the second one.

BallHawk
02-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Both are correct. :wink:

MadtownPacker
02-05-2007, 06:46 PM
......Randy Moss will be moved from Oakland according to my source, and the Packers seem like the likely detonation.......

Interesting slip of the tongue.HAHAHAHA!!

Great job on this thread Top Hat! I can only imagine how long it would have been if Favre had taken his sweet time like last year.

TopHat
02-06-2007, 01:07 AM

Interesting slip of the tongue.HAHAHAHA!!

Great job on this thread Top Hat! I can only imagine how long it would have been if Favre had taken his sweet time like last year.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: TOP HAT'S: THANKS

TopHat
02-06-2007, 01:18 AM
...."There will come a time when Brett Favre can no longer play. This is not that time. But at the end of [a] season...the next or the next or the next—he will step away at last, having earned the peace of an endless off-season. The cold and the snow will overtake Green Bay, and the stadium at this edge of the world will stand empty behind us, the last thing we see in the rear-view mirror as we cross that river, the light at last failing in the trees. But until that moment, Brett Favre will be throwing, in a way, for us all. Throwing hope forward, in a single clean step or with a motion as rushed and awkward as man falling out of the tub, as hurried and off-balance as the rest of us. Banking on the past while trying to read a second or two into his future, drilling clean arcs on our behalf into the weakening light and the rising odds, every stand he makes in the pocket another little long shot fired against the infinite and inevitable. Every throw a moment for hope, a defiant line, bright in the air, against chaos and diminishment and the final goodbye."

Bretsky
02-06-2007, 07:36 AM
Maybe for good karma you should also hook us up with the Randy Moss to Green Bay Watch ?

Cheers,
Bretsky

BallHawk
02-06-2007, 07:42 AM
Maybe for good karma you should also hook us up with the Randy Moss to Green Bay Watch ?

Cheers,
Bretsky

Actually, that'd be a pretty good idea.

OS PA
02-06-2007, 08:32 AM
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, and I didn't feel like making a new thread for it specifically. So i'll post it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZwq8k9GX6M

I just found this on youtube, pretty poor quality, but reliving some of the good memories was really nice.

Enjoy.

woodbuck27
02-06-2007, 01:07 PM
...."There will come a time when Brett Favre can no longer play. This is not that time. But at the end of [a] season...the next or the next or the next—he will step away at last, having earned the peace of an endless off-season. The cold and the snow will overtake Green Bay, and the stadium at this edge of the world will stand empty behind us, the last thing we see in the rear-view mirror as we cross that river, the light at last failing in the trees. But until that moment, Brett Favre will be throwing, in a way, for us all. Throwing hope forward, in a single clean step or with a motion as rushed and awkward as man falling out of the tub, as hurried and off-balance as the rest of us. Banking on the past while trying to read a second or two into his future, drilling clean arcs on our behalf into the weakening light and the rising odds, every stand he makes in the pocket another little long shot fired against the infinite and inevitable. Every throw a moment for hope, a defiant line, bright in the air, against chaos and diminishment and the final goodbye."

That piece of writing put tears in my eyes. Very nice.

TopHat
02-06-2007, 04:02 PM

That piece of writing put tears in my eyes. Very nice.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) TOP HAT: THANKS, WOODBUCK27. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

TopHat
02-07-2007, 12:22 AM

Cheers,
Bretsky

TOP HAT: THREE POINTS:

1. Motife already has a strong thread going about it, "Chris Mortensen: GB source confirms Favre wants Moss."

2. I am concerned about a strong FAs watch and a '07 Draft watch.

3. Remember what NBC's Chris C. said during the final game in Chicago about Favre coming back and the offseason moves necessary to be a competitive top tier team in '07, i.e. "IF THEY ARE SERIOUS ABOUT WINNING...."

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

packerbacker1234
02-07-2007, 08:24 AM
That youtube video was very nice to see. It truly showed that we do have promise for this year.

There was one real consistency in the whole thing: Favre was a play maker.

Wow, he looked like he was young all over again and against the bears, when it shows the slow motion replay of one of brett's roll out pass's, it just makes you go WOW. It really reminds you that brett is one of a kind and NO ONE will ever be able to do what he does.

Just fuels me even more for all those Favre vs. Manning Debates. I am sorry, but Favre is truly a great. I am so excited to watch him another year!

TopHat
02-08-2007, 03:46 AM
http://packers.scout.com/

Favre's return good for football world PackerReport.com's Matt Tevsh describes how important Brett Favre has become to the National Football League, and how his entertainment value is higher than ever.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

TopHat
02-08-2007, 04:21 PM
UPDATING.

TopHat
02-10-2007, 02:44 AM
Good great men, the last waves by, seeing and crying how bright that

Their frail deeds might be forever glorious in a green bay across the Fox,

Rage, rally, and reunite against the fading of the green and gold light....