PDA

View Full Version : PFW : New (surprising) Mock Draft 4/21

motife
04-22-2006, 09:42 AM
Mock draft

Teams counting on Jets to make a bad decision

By Nolan Nawrocki
April 21, 2006

The latest development to shake up the top 10 is the Jets' perceived need for a quarterback, which will make a lot of teams in the top 10 happy as more good players slide down a slot, beginning with D'Brickashaw Ferguson. A lot of teams are expecting the Jets to succumb to the heavy media scrutiny in New York and cave in to the pressure of taking the popular pick instead of the right pick for the franchise. If the Jets screw it up and take an average-armed QB with average mobility, like Matt Leinart, he will not finish the season healthy. We trust that Mike Tannenbaum and Eric Mangini will know better and do what's best for the team.

Editor’s note: Juniors are denoted by an asterisk (*).

1. Houston Texans — RB Reggie Bush, USC*
Final decision has not been made between Bush and Mario Williams. Bush has the lead.

2. New Orleans Saints — DE Mario Williams, North Carolina State*
A.J. Hawk fills the biggest need if the Saints could move down a few slots. Otherwise, it's a no-brainer if they are unable to move down.

3. Tennessee Titans — QB Vince Young, Texas*
Steve McNair’s likely departure and the franchise's urgency to win now could weigh in this decision. The fact that Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow has a previous relationship with Leinart by no means makes Leinart's selection the right move for the franchise.

4. New York Jets — QB Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt
Chad Pennington’s shoulder is a concern. Leinart is not the answer, and for the sake of the Jets' future, we hope the new regime can figure it out.

5. Green Bay Packers — OT D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Virginia
Ferguson allows the Pack to kick one of their tackles inside and bolster a unit that was awful a year ago.

6. San Francisco 49ers — LB A.J. Hawk, Ohio State
Niners’ front office does cartwheels if two quarterbacks go in the top five and they can address and ugly LB situation after losing Julian Peterson.

7. Oakland Raiders — DB Michael Huff, Texas
Instantly upgrades the secondary and gives the Raiders’ defense a playmaker they sorely need.

8. Buffalo Bills — TE Vernon Davis, Maryland*
Now that the Bills have signed TE Robert Royal and with Kevin Everett returning, a win-first mentality could create pressure to draft the three-technique defensive tackle so key to the new defense. Don't rule out Brodrick Bunkley here, but Davis gives Steve Fairchild great flexibility and could make the team's unproven cast of quarterbacks look good.

9. Detroit Lions — DT Brodrick Bunkley, Florida State
Defensive line needs to be addressed, and explosive talents like Bunkley, who can play anywhere on the defensive line, are difficult to find.

10. Arizona Cardinals — OLB Ernie Sims, Florida State*
Orlando Huff did not get the job done last year. Sims is an assassin who could spark the Cardinals’ defense.

11. St. Louis Rams — QB Matt Leinart, USC
Marc Bulger was lost each of the last two seasons with multiple shoulder injuries. Leinart has had some injuries but not missed any time. He will be too difficult to pass.

12. Cleveland Browns — NT Haloti Ngata, Oregon*
Finding an anchor for a 3-4 front is not easy. Don't rule out the possibility of the Ravens leapfrogging the Browns to nab Ngata.

13. Baltimore Ravens — DB Jason Allen, Tennessee
With holes at safety and the No. 3 corner role, Allen’s versatility improves his value.

14. Philadelphia Eagles — OT Winston Justice, USC*
Getting better in the trenches is key to keeping Donovan McNabb healthy.

15. Denver Broncos — WR Chad Jackson, Florida*
Ideal West Coast receiver will be groomed to replace Rod Smith and add offensive firepower to a team that is close to reaching the big game.

16. Miami Dolphins — CB-S Jimmy Williams, Virginia Tech
Nick Saban loves big cornerbacks and is confident enough to think he could correct Williams’ inconsistencies and control his volatile personality.

17. Minnesota Vikings — OLB Chad Greenway, Iowa
Very likely to package some picks and move up for a quarterback, but with top three gone here, Greenway best fits the bill.

18. Dallas Cowboys — OLB Manny Lawson, North Carolina State
Al Singleton is coming off injury. Lawson’s edge speed will take a lot of pressure off the secondary and lessen the need for a rangy safety, especially with more available in the next round.

19. San Diego Chargers — WR Santonio Holmes, Ohio State*
The receiving corps is not getting any younger, and with Philip Rivers finally getting his shot, the Chargers would like to support him.

20. Kansas City Chiefs — CB Antonio Cromartie, Florida State*
Herm Edwards loves big cornerbacks, such as he once was, and has the confidence to take a chance on a talent that some are calling “special.à€

21. New England Patriots — OLB Kamerion Wimbley, Florida State
A 3-4 rush linebacker who brings more value for the Patriots’ 3-4 scheme.

22. San Francisco — CB Johnathan Joseph, South Carolina*
Has tremendous physical ability and could make an immediate impact and develop with some fine coaching.

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers — CB Tye Hill, Clemson
The Bucs highly desire a physical corner who can run and cover Panthers WR Steve Smith. Hill could contribute immediately in No. 3 CB role.

24. Cincinnati Bengals — C Nick Mangold, Ohio State
With four offensive linemen unsigned entering their contract years, the Bengals need to infuse their line with some youth.

25. New York Giants — LB Bobby Carpenter, Ohio State
Tom Coughlin coached his father and knows he can keep Carpenter in check.

26. Chicago Bears — CB Kelly Jennings, Miami (Fla.)
Outstanding ball skills, intelligence and ability to contribute immediately make it possible for Bears to overlook some bulk/injury concerns.

27. Jacksonville Jaguars — OLB DeMeco Ryans, Alabama
Consistency is highly desired by Jack Del Rio, and the loss of Akin Ayodele created a void.

28. Carolina Panthers — RB Laurence Maroney, Minnesota*
With DeShaun Foster an injury away from I.R., insurance is needed in the backfield.

29. New York Jets — OT Eric Winston, Miami (Fla.)
Protecting their first-round investment (see pick No. 4) is critical, and if the Jets do not land D'Brickashaw Ferguson with their earlier pick, they need to address the position here. Anthony Clement is not a solution.

30. Indianapolis Colts — RB DeAngelo Williams, Memphis
A linebacker could be more intriguing, and the possibility of trading down is even more likely, but the RB position needs to be addressed.

31. Seattle Seahawks — DE Darryl Tapp, Virginia Tech
A classic Tim Ruskell pick — hardworking, high-effort, high-motor player.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers — S Daniel Bullucks, Nebraska
The Steelers have a big need to fill at safety after losing Chris Hope, and Bullucks brings the size, striking ability, speed and special-teams contributions to justify coming off at a pick that many teams regard as the start of the second round.

Scott Campbell
04-22-2006, 09:46 AM
I'm not following that closely, but has Leinart slipped in any other mock drafts?

Charles Woodson
04-22-2006, 10:03 AM
I really will be dissapointed if we take Da brick. hell I think any teams fans that takes him will be dissapointed. I really think tho that the packers cant afford the luxury of building depth at the postion, especially with the fact that the desperately need a linbacker. I thnk that If Hawk is there, he'll be taken by them. It might be different tho if Da brick was a guard. But still My vote is for hawk.

Guiness
04-22-2006, 10:06 AM
If Leinart slips that low I will immediately eat my shorts.

Joemailman
04-22-2006, 05:04 PM
D'Brick is the best tackle to be available in several years. You shouldn't pass up those kind of guys. Hawk would be a good pick, but this is a strong year for linebackers. A very good one should still be available in the 2nd round.

ND72
04-22-2006, 05:07 PM
will never happen. too many other NEED areas right now. can always find a true guard later instead of moving tauscher and having a project...plus, ferguson is a LT...Clifton is a LT, he tried RT and sucked his rookie year.

Bretsky
04-22-2006, 05:29 PM
D'Brick is the best tackle to be available in several years. You shouldn't pass up those kind of guys. Hawk would be a good pick, but this is a strong year for linebackers. A very good one should still be available in the 2nd round.

Route,
Welcome to the forum; I'd be really surprised to see Ferguson drafted at 5; Tauscher and Clifton want to stay at OT and are solid there. AJ Hawk helps us a whole lot more, and AJ Hawk is a step above the rest.

b bulldog
04-22-2006, 05:37 PM
On ESPN radio I heard Liny could fall out of the top 10!

ND72
04-22-2006, 06:29 PM
lots of people aren't liking his attitude...but lets be serious...that's all talk.

MJZiggy
04-22-2006, 06:35 PM
If Hollywood had a football team, that would be very convenient for him.

Rastak
04-22-2006, 07:40 PM
I really will be dissapointed if we take Da brick. hell I think any teams fans that takes him will be dissapointed. I really think tho that the packers cant afford the luxury of building depth at the postion, especially with the fact that the desperately need a linbacker. I thnk that If Hawk is there, he'll be taken by them. It might be different tho if Da brick was a guard. But still My vote is for hawk.

EVERYTHING starts with the OL on offense.

Bad OL = pathetic team.

CyclonePackFan
04-22-2006, 07:58 PM

Bad OL = pathetic team.

I agree wholeheartedly with you Rastak. (Granted, I played center for 13 years of my life, so I'm biased)

My only thing is, at this level, often some of the OL taken in the 5th-7th rounds turn out just as good as the blue chippers. PERFECT example: In the 2000 NFL draft, the #3 pick was Chris Samuels, who has made it to a couple of Pro Bowls since then. 221 picks later in the 7th round, Green Bay picked some OT from Wisconsin named Mark Tauscher, who is one hell of a tackle. OL is probably the most coachable positions on the field.

Rastak
04-22-2006, 08:03 PM

Bad OL = pathetic team.

I agree wholeheartedly with you Rastak. (Granted, I played center for 13 years of my life, so I'm biased)

My only thing is, at this level, often some of the OL taken in the 5th-7th rounds turn out just as good as the blue chippers. PERFECT example: In the 2000 NFL draft, the #3 pick was Chris Samuels, who has made it to a couple of Pro Bowls since then. 221 picks later in the 7th round, Green Bay picked some OT from Wisconsin named Mark Tauscher, who is one hell of a tackle. OL is probably the most coachable positions on the field.

I played tackle one year but was mostly a MLB...LONG AGO and before high school. Anyway, there are very good OL available in the later rounds but they usually need to be tutored as opposed to the very few elite OL's in the draft....ok, I admit even those guys end up needing coaching. Still, your best chance of getting someone who can play early is in the early rounds.

Joemailman
04-22-2006, 08:10 PM
I look at it this way. There are three players in this draft who are considered to be the best player to be available at their respective position in the last several years. They are Reggie Bush, D'Brick Ferguson, and Mario. You don't get a chance to draft players of this caliber very often. I think you have to take them even if they don't fill a "current need". Current needs have a way of changing pretty fast in the violent world of pro football.

Rastak
04-22-2006, 08:15 PM
I look at it this way. There are three players in this draft who are considered to be the best player to be available at their respective position in the last several years. They are Reggie Bush, D'Brick Ferguson, and Mario. You don't get a chance to draft players of this caliber very often. I think you have to take them even if they don't fill a "current need". Current needs have a way of changing pretty fast in the violent world of pro football.

Greets Joe! And I agree with you........

retailguy
04-22-2006, 08:50 PM

Bad OL = pathetic team.

I played tackle one year but was mostly a MLB...LONG AGO and before high school. Anyway, there are very good OL available in the later rounds but they usually need to be tutored as opposed to the very few elite OL's in the draft....ok, I admit even those guys end up needing coaching. Still, your best chance of getting someone who can play early is in the early rounds.

I was a DLineman. Big & Slow.... I needed more than coaching.... :oops: Everyone needs coaching. All these players have the skill. Those with the skill that are willing to receive good coaching become stars. Those that don't, join Ryan Leaf as a BUST.

No Mo Moss
04-22-2006, 08:53 PM
How is that possible? There is no way that guy makes it out of the top 5.

At worst you get a Carson Palmer type player. At best an Elway type player. He'll go high.

retailguy
04-22-2006, 08:54 PM
How is that possible? There is no way that guy makes it out of the top 5.

err... Remember Aaron Rodgers? It happens. It isn't likely, but it happens.

b bulldog
04-22-2006, 09:04 PM
The Titans may take Young and if the Jets take a QB, they will take Cutler according to what I heard.

retailguy
04-22-2006, 09:08 PM
The Titans may take Young and if the Jets take a QB, they will take Cutler according to what I heard.

If this happens, then Leinart could fall. Or, if the Saints take him at 2, that means that both Williams and Ferguson are available at 5.... So who REALLY wants one of them?

b bulldog
04-22-2006, 10:09 PM
As ND72 would tell you I was on the Liny to the Saints bandwagon bigtime but I now think the Saints won't take a QB at two and now it will be between Fergy and Mario, with the edge going to Mario.

ND72
04-22-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm an OL guy....and i would rather pass on Ferguson with our top pick, and take a true guard with our 2nd round pick.

and yeah...bulldog and i exchanged a lot dealing with the saints taking Leinart.

retailguy
04-22-2006, 10:33 PM
As ND72 would tell you I was on the Liny to the Saints bandwagon bigtime but I now think the Saints won't take a QB at two and now it will be between Fergy and Mario, with the edge going to Mario.

Still not convinced of that, bulldog. I think the pick is traded, for someone who wants Lienart. If not, then he may fall, hard.

CyclonePackFan
04-22-2006, 10:39 PM
I just hope that the Raiders jump up to get Vince Young. The Saints need a LB, and if the Jets make the move, I think that the Saints would be more willing to take A.J. Hawk at #4 than #2. They've got two tackles and two defensive ends. Either way, we still get one of Williams, Huff, or Hawk. I'll take that choice.

retailguy
04-22-2006, 10:42 PM
I just hope that the Raiders jump up to get Vince Young. The Saints need a LB, and if the Jets make the move, I think that the Saints would be more willing to take A.J. Hawk at #4 than #2. They've got two tackles and two defensive ends. Either way, we still get one of Williams, Huff, or Hawk. I'll take that choice.

Me too. And promptly trade it for extra picks. :mrgreen:

Joemailman
04-22-2006, 10:44 PM

Would you still trade for extra picks if Thompson gets the 2 2nd round picks from Denver for Walker?

ND72
04-22-2006, 10:46 PM
I think all of the QB's could fall hard if not taken in the top 7. after oakland...Jay Cutler COULD become a 2nd round pick...I know it won't happen, but it really could.

retailguy
04-22-2006, 10:46 PM

Would you still trade for extra picks if Thompson gets the 2 2nd round picks from Denver for Walker?

Maybe not, however, that isn't likely to happen by pick #5. Might also depend on who traded up, and who traded down.

For example, if TT is thinking about D'brick, and decides to trade down, he can still get Justice. Not a dramatic downgrade there, in my opinion. Perhaps 4 second round picks could yield two decent guards, even by Bretsky's standards... :wink:

Partial
04-23-2006, 12:56 AM
if Debrick is a Packer, I will kill a man.

retailguy
04-23-2006, 04:11 PM
if Debrick is a Packer, I will kill a man.

Partial,

I really don't understand this? If he's the best guy, and you don't trade down, why not?

While Clifton is too slow to play guard, Tauscher is not. The real question becomes, can Debrick play right tackle? Scouts seem split on this opinion, and that's one of the reasons that Justice is appealing to me, if the Packers can trade down.

Ron Wolf proved over and over, that you take the BEST player, regardless of position and figure out where he fits later.

I just don't see why this would be a bad pick, UNLESS you are "need" drafting. If that is what you are advocating, that doesn't come without significant risk, as Mike Sherman discovered.

Sparkey
04-24-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm an OL guy....and i would rather pass on Ferguson with our top pick, and take a true guard with our 2nd round pick.

and yeah...bulldog and i exchanged a lot dealing with the saints taking Leinart.

Green Bay is a below .500 team for the next few years. You take the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE regardless of position. Now if you have two guys rated equally, then take the player that helps the team the most, but never waiver from your rating board.

Anyone lobbying for a need pick only has to review Sherman's drafts too see how drafting for need can kill a teams depth and talent level.

FA is the route to use to fill a few holes when your close to being a contending team. Green Bay is so far from that status that BPA is the way to draft. And if that makes Favre decide to retire then Good-Bye Brett Favre. The Pack are a six win team next year with the outside chance of playing .500 ball.

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2006, 04:09 PM
DRAFT 2006: Bush No. 1 no matter what the "experts" say
By DAVE GOLDBERG
April 24, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- A week ago, there were rumors out of Houston that had the Texans leaning away from taking Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick and toward Mario Williams, the North Carolina State defensive end who is supposed to be a cross between Julius Peppers and Lawrence Taylor.

Indeed, they even began talking with Williams. Disinformation, perhaps, but standard.

More than any other, this draft has been full of that kind of thing.

On the Web. On talk radio. Everywhere. The NFL draft, which will take place Saturday and Sunday at Radio City Music Hall, has become football's most overanalyzed event, even by the people in charge. What prospective draftees did on the field last fall has been forgotten in the tempest from January through April.

Consider Vince Young's Wonderlic score. LenDale White's weight gain and hamstring injury. Jimmy Williams' supposedly lackadaisical attitude. And the endless debate over whether Jay Cutler, the Vanderbilt quarterback, belongs with Matt Leinart and Young at the top of the quarterback pool.

Remember that the draft is really a crapshoot. First-rounders often fail, second-rounders and lower succeed, as did linebacker Lofa Tatupu, who as a second-round rookie last season led a defense that helped Seattle to an NFC championship.

Remember also that everyone lies. Or says nothing.

"You know this is a time when nobody really ever really kind of tells the truth about what they plan to do," Miami coach Nick Saban said last week. "I certainly would never deceive you in anything that I told you, so rather than deceive you I would just rather not tell you certain things."

"Certain things" almost surely start with Bush, described by some as the next Gale Sayers. Or the next Barry Sanders. He's a unique talent who can turn a game on one play.

So when Paul Tagliabue calls to order his final NFL draft as commissioner, HOUSTON will use it on REGGIE BUSH, RB, Southern Cal.

2. NEW ORLEANS. After signing Drew Brees, the Saints brought in Leinart for a workout. Is that because Brees is coming off shoulder surgery? Or is it to suggest to the Titans and Jets that they have to trade up to get him? Linebacker A.J. Hawk, but more likely: D'BRICKASHAW FERGUSON, OT, Virginia.

3. TENNESSEE. Norm Chow, the offensive coordinator, had the same job at Southern Cal and tutored Leinart. The Titans might like Vince Young, but MATT LEINART, QB, Southern Cal, is the safer pick.

4. NEW YORK JETS. They have a sore shouldered Chad Pennington and the newly obtained Patrick Ramsey. Both are ifs, so they could move up to second for Leinart -- with the 29th and 35th picks as bait. If not, MARIO WILLIAMS, DE, North Carolina State.

5. GREEN BAY. One reason Brett Favre keeps putting off his decision on retirement is the sorry state of the Packers. A.J. HAWK, LB, Ohio State, won't turn them around for Favre's last season, but eventually should be an impact player.

6. SAN FRANCISCO. Another team that needs everything, and could move up using the newly acquired 22nd pick for Williams or Hawk. If not, VERNON DAVIS, TE, Maryland, seems to be a special athlete at a position that's in vogue.

7. OAKLAND. The Raiders have Aaron Brooks, who finally wore out the Saints' patience. VINCE YOUNG, QB, Texas, is an Al Davis type pick who might be something special.

8. BUFFALO. One mistake a year ago was letting Pat Williams go to the Vikings. Williams is listed at 320 pounds. Maybe 420? Whatever, BRODRICK BUNKLEY, DT, Florida State is a svelte 306 -- or so they say. He fits the purpose.

9. DETROIT. The Lions have taken Charles Rogers, Roy Williams and Mike Williams the last three years and for a variety of reasons still don't have a healthy No. 1 wide receiver. Roy is from Texas, as is MIKE HUFF, DB, Texas.

10. ARIZONA. No matter how good Larry Fitzgerald is (he's very good), the Cardinals might have been better off with Ben Roethlisberger or Philip Rivers two years ago. Kurt Warner was Eli Manning's caddie in New York, so he can do the same for JAY CUTLER, QB, Vanderbilt. Dennis Green has actually said he'll take him here if he falls; see above for untruths.

11. ST. LOUIS. The Rams replaced coach Mike Martz with Scott Linehan, another offensive guy. But they need defense, especially at tackle. HALOTI NGATA, DT, Oregon, even though the Rams have used three first-round picks at that position since 2001.

12. CLEVELAND. The Browns were aggressive during the offseason, signing LB Willie McGinest from New England to help Romeo Crennel's young charges learn the 3-4 defense. Willie can be especially useful with KAMERION WIMBLEY, DE/LB, Florida State, who Crennel hopes will stay healthier than the last two No. 1s, Kellen Winslow and Braylon Edwards.

13. BALTIMORE. Would take Young or Cutler. Instead, a bookend for Jonathan Ogden, WINSTON JUSTICE, OT, the third Southern Cal player chosen.

14. PHILADELPHIA. The Eagles like aggressive defenders, a description that fits ERNIE SIMS, LB, Florida State. The reservation is five concussions in college.

15. DENVER. Tatum Bell is a part-timer and so is Ron Dayne. The Bengals always seem to get productive running backs late, but why not the explosive DE ANGELO WILLIAMS, RB, Memphis.

16. MIAMI. Sam Madison was a salary cap casualty. JIMMY WILLIAMS, DB, Virginia Tech, has been falling for a variety of reasons. Not past this spot.

17. MINNESOTA. One of a bunch of teams that could use linebackers in a draft with a lot of good ones. CHAD GREENWAY, LB, Iowa.

18. DALLAS. Roy Williams is a ferocious hitter who caused the NFL's changed rules to keep him from using the "horse-collar" tackle. He can use a partner who can cover. JASON ALLEN, S, Tennessee.

19. SAN DIEGO. When your best receiver is 36-year-old Keenan McCardell, you need young speed. SANTONIO HOLMES, WR, Ohio State.

20. KANSAS CITY. Fresh blood for the annual defensive overhaul. TYE HILL, CB, Clemson.

21. NEW ENGLAND. Bill Belichick was a young assistant in the Meadowlands when Rob Carpenter was a Giants running back. Rob's son, BOBBY CARPENTER, LB, Ohio State.

22. SAN FRANCISCO. The 49ers got this pick in a deal with Denver and might try to package it to move up for Hawk or Williams. If not, MANNY LAWSON, DE/LB, North Carolina State, a much-needed pass rusher.

23. TAMPA BAY. Brian Kelly and Ronde Barber are 31 and 30, respectively, but old enough to start breaking in ANTONIO CROMARTIE, CB, Florida State, who can take his time recovering from a knee injury.

24. CINCINNATI. No one in Cincinnati remembers when the Bengals drafted this low. Defense is still a need. DONTE WHITNER, S, Ohio State.

25. NEW YORK GIANTS. They were set to take a linebacker. Now they have LaVar Arrington, making the need more pressing. ASHTON YOUBOUTY, CB, Ohio State although they could trade down for needed defensive tackle help or even a running back.

26. CHICAGO. Plenty of defense. Desperate for offense. CHAD JACKSON, WR, Florida.

27. CAROLINA. The Panthers played the NFC title game with third- and fourth-string running backs. LAURENCE MARONEY, RB, Minnesota.

28. JACKSONVILLE. First-round centers are rare. But ... NICK MANGOLD, C, Ohio State, the sixth guy from a team that didn't even win the Big Ten title.

29. NEW YORK JETS. This pick could be in New Orleans if the Jets make a deal. If not, MARCUS McNEILL, OT, Auburn.

30. INDIANAPOLIS. Maybe JOSEPH ADDAI, RB, LSU, is Edgerrin James.

31. SEATTLE. The Seahawks had no dominant outside pass rusher last season. MATHIAS KIWANUKA, DE, Boston College.

32. PITTSBURGH. Troy Polamalu is a stud safety from Southern Cal. How about another one: DARNELL BING, S, Southern Cal.

Charles Woodson
04-24-2006, 04:14 PM
I want to know how Miami and Denver both pass up Chad Jackson...

Guiness
04-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Current needs have a way of changing pretty fast in the violent world of pro football.

Wise words. Rember when WR was our deepest position (way back at the start of the '05 season)?

Good to see you back Joe. Why the nick change, and what does Route25 stand for anyways?