PDA

View Full Version : Winston Moss

swede
01-17-2007, 11:56 AM
I'd like to get another thread going about Winston Moss's promotion.

Can anyone figure out what the thinking is?

Is this a way of keeping the status quo with defensive coaches while protecting Moss from being hired away as a DC somewhere else?

MJZiggy
01-17-2007, 12:16 PM
MM's comments on this from packers.com:

Meanwhile, Winston Moss was promoted to assistant head coach/defense. The Packers linebackers coach in 2006 who coached with McCarthy for five seasons in New Orleans, Moss will continue to oversee the linebacker position while expanding his interactions with the entire team to include development and administrative issues.

"When I first put the staff together last year, that was the one position that I went back and forth on, whether to do it or not do it," McCarthy said regarding an assistant head coach. "In hindsight, I didn't err, but I think it's a position that's needed."

Where does Winston Moss now fit into the hierarchy of the staff?)
Winston Moss being promoted to assistant head coach - it's not a defensive position. When I first put the staff together last year, that was the one position that I went back and forth on, whether to do it or not do it. In hindsight, I didn't err, but I think it's a position that's needed. Winston Moss will be my partner as far as all team activities, as far as the growth and dynamics of our football team and take in as far as administrative responsibilities. He is the assistant head coach. Obviously defense is his focus because he'll still coach the linebackers and so forth. Bob Sanders is the coordinator, will continue to be the coordinator, but Winston Moss will be my right-hand man.

(So Bob Sanders is the guy calling the shots on defense?)
Absolutely.

(Is Winston's new title to protect him from being taken away by another team?)
Not really. He was a candidate all year long. It's something that Ted Thompson and I had talked about throughout the season. Once again, I talked about that particular position in the initial hiring of the staff. I did not go that way for a number of reasons. I've had the opportunity to observe Winston Moss with the number of years I've had (with him) prior in New Orleans and this past year here. I think he's a perfect fit for that position.

HarveyWallbangers
01-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Is this a way of keeping the status quo with defensive coaches while protecting Moss from being hired away as a DC somewhere else?

I think that's exactly what this means. Moss must be the rising star among the coaches.

pittstang5
01-17-2007, 12:57 PM

I think that's exactly what this means. Moss must be the rising star among the coaches.

Agreed - Next year, if the defense looks like they did most of the year, this year, I'm betting McCarthy lets Sanders go and looks to Moss for the DC position.

On another note - I'm stilled surprised Schotty has a job and it lloks like he's in no danger of losing it. Figured he'd be gone by now.

swede
01-17-2007, 01:52 PM
I remember when Winston Moss was hired he bluntly said that members of the linebacking corps needed to be on the field in order to help their team. (I can't remember if he actually mentioned the oft-injured N'ail Diggs by name or if it was just obvious.)

A few days later Diggs was gone.

I don't even know what Moss looks like, but he must be a tough sonuvagun.

There is something strange about the organizational implications of this move in that he seems to be both under Sanders and over him as well, but I have a feeling that it really is a good thing for the team.

MacCool606
01-17-2007, 02:57 PM
I keep trying to equate this to the Denver announcement that they signed Bates as Assistant HC / Defense, and Slowit was promoted to DC. You can't tell me their arrangement is the same that MM described. If it is, then Slowit is in charge of the Denver Def, and Bates is......what?

Guess I don't understand.

Fritz
01-17-2007, 03:01 PM
It is weird. He's "only" the linebackers coach...but he's the assistant head coach, too? Maybe Bob Sanders can yell at him for crappy linebacker play, then they switch places and Moss yells at Sanders for crappy defensive play.

MJZiggy
01-17-2007, 03:02 PM
In the same press conference, M3 said that the way they're doing things in Denver has no bearing on the way he is doing things around here.

ND72
01-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Winston's promotion, has NOTHING to do with Defense. He will have the same role as he did last season. All the assistant Head Coach position does, is he is more involved in decision making WITH Sander, and McCarthy. According to the Oshkosh Northwestern, all this really does, is makes him in charge of offseason workouts. He will "rule" over Rock on when and what, and be in contact with all the players through their offseason workouts. All of the OTA scheduling, will likely be constructed by Moss as well. More than anything, what I took for the Nothwestern, was he is in charge of scheduling, and then is finalized by McCarthy. It really ISN'T as big of a deal as most think.

FritzDontBlitz
01-17-2007, 03:26 PM
I remember when Winston Moss was hired he bluntly said that members of the linebacking corps needed to be on the field in order to help their team. (I can't remember if he actually mentioned the oft-injured N'ail Diggs by name or if it was just obvious.)

A few days later Diggs was gone.

I don't even know what Moss looks like, but he must be a tough sonuvagun.

There is something strange about the organizational implications of this move in that he seems to be both under Sanders and over him as well, but I have a feeling that it really is a good thing for the team.

i remember the same quote. he never mentioned diggs or any other lb by name when the injury comments were made but the writer attributed it to the oft-injured diggs. and yes diggs was gone soon after.

if i read the article correctly moss is now second only to m3 as far as the pecking order goes. m3 kept alluding to consulting with moss on ways to improve the defense, which does make it sound like he trusts moss' judgement more than sanders. i base this on m3's assertion that "bob sanders (is still) coordinator, but winston moss will be my right-hand man."

BobDobbs
01-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Both McCarthy and Moss said that the main duties of the Asst HC were administrative and overall team development. So, in the off season it does look like that means taking care of workout programs and such. Does this also mean helping to decide who is active on games days or more importantly evaluating other assistant coaches? I guess I'm just trying to understand what exactly overalll team development is.
Moss also said that he was looking forward to having the role expanded as time went on. If I were Sanders I would be looking over my shoulder a little bit. He was part of the old staff and was kept for continuity. Moss is McCarthy's guy whom he wants to keep on his staff. I don't think there is really a soap opera going on though. McCarthy probably just wants more time to scheme his offense, particularly in the Red Zone.

hoosier
01-17-2007, 07:19 PM
The assistant HC thing is a feather in his hat, and its purpose as far as GB is concerned is that now nobody can hire him away without giving him a full promotion (to DC or HC).

vince
01-19-2007, 11:31 AM
McCarthy is not going to say anything directly about this in public which might be construed as negative toward the job that Bob Sanders did last year (nor should he), but this move is an indictment on Sanders' leadership abilities.

I believe, regardless of what McCarthy said publicly, this places Moss at the top of the defensive heirarchy in terms of leadership of the defense. He may not be calling defensive alignments and stunts on a play-by-play basis, but his input and direction has become much more important - more important than Sanders'.

Partial
01-19-2007, 01:51 PM
McCarthy is not going to say anything directly about this in public which might be construed as negative toward the job that Bob Sanders did last year (nor should he), but this move is an indictment on Sanders' leadership abilities.

I believe, regardless of what McCarthy said publicly, this places Moss at the top of the defensive heirarchy in terms of leadership of the defense. He may not be calling defensive alignments and stunts on a play-by-play basis, but his input and direction has become much more important - more important than Sanders'.

Good to have you back. I agree 110%