PDA

View Full Version : Philbin

HarveyWallbangers
01-17-2007, 12:24 PM
I think the hiring of Joe Philbin as OC by Mike McCarthy is the right move, and it also gives me a little more belief in McCarthy. Most coaches come into a new situation and clean house. McCarthy retained a few of Sherman's coaches (including Philbin and Edgar Bennett). McCarthy didn't know Philbin before he decided to keep him around. The fact that he promoted Philbin--rather than go with one of his cronies is a good sign, IMHO. He recognized a good coach, and didn't care that the guy wasn't a close personal friend of his. I think hiring Hackett or promoting somebody like Clements (guys he has a history with) would have sent up red flags.

MadtownPacker
01-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Oh, thought this thread was about Regis...

Yeah M3 is turning out to be a good one.

Feel the power!!!

YJ
01-17-2007, 12:30 PM
I think it was a good move to promote Philbin to the OC, I did not want to see Hackett get the job when we had somebody on the staff that could do it just as well if not better. Mac and TT need to grow this thing the smart way.

swede
01-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Agreed.

Philbin's mug shot makes him look less than formidable. He looks like the kind of guy you'd see in the mental health unit of the hospital chain-smoking and playing solitaire until it's time for his next pill.

However, the things I read about him, his intelligence, his sense of professionalism and the quiet respect he gives and gets in return, make me believe that MM made a good choice.

HarveyWallbangers
01-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Watch him an interview. I watched his video on packers.com when he got re-hired and again after this promotion, and I get a good vibe from him.

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2010, 08:46 PM
Bump
:D

Brandon494
08-28-2010, 09:09 PM
You were still wrong about A-Rod :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2010, 09:25 PM

On draft day I wasn't enamored with him, but I jumped on the bandwagon before most people, so I should get a pass. I was in his corner by the second preseason.

bobblehead
08-29-2010, 10:09 AM

On draft day I wasn't enamored with him, but I jumped on the bandwagon before most people, so I should get a pass. I was in his corner by the second preseason.

I give ya a pass. we all make mistakes, owning them and not getting sticky on the wrong position is key. I labeled Nick Collins a Bust right before he broke out.....on that train of thought, Justin Harrell is definately a bust. :P

Philbin seems like a good pro, but MM has to cut his losses as well on slocum and Campen. Like I said, own your mistakes and don't be sticky about it.

vince
08-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Some people get sticky on guys, but even more people jump the gun. Even the experts wrote off Rodgers right away and now we see how that's turned out. When it comes to making judgements about NFL players, I'd say patience is a better virtue than impulsiveness more often than not.

Fritz
08-29-2010, 08:57 PM
I agree, Vince.