PDA

View Full Version : NFL London?

MJZiggy
01-17-2007, 02:07 PM
Wonder who's going?

London to host 2007 regular-season game

(Jan. 16, 2007) -- London will be the venue for the first regular-season NFL game to be played outside North America, the National Football League announced.

The NFL will stage the first in its new series of international regular-season games in the United Kingdom's capital city in the fall of 2007. NFL owners voted in October to play up to two games outside the United States every year for the next five years, with the series kicking off with a single game in 2007.

"There is great interest in the NFL around the world," said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. "Playing a limited number of regular-season games outside the United States is the next step for us in serving that interest. This is what our international fans, media partners, and sponsors want. There is no better place to begin this initiative than London. It is one of the great cities of the world with an established and growing fan base for our game. We are thrilled to bring the excitement of the NFL regular season to the United Kingdom."

London's effort to secure the game was supported by Mayor of London Ken Livingstone, who visited Commissioner Goodell in New York to state the city's case for staging an NFL game.

"London is proud to host the first competitive NFL game held outside the North American continent," Mayor Livingstone said. "There are many NFL fans in London -- both American and non-American -- and this will be a spectacular sporting occasion. The Super Bowl is followed by almost five-million people in the UK. Hosting an NFL game in London will bring more than 10,000 international visitors to the city. London will be working with the NFL to build on this success to ensure that Londoners, NFL fans, international visitors, and the tens of millions who will watch the game on television have a great day of sport and experience London at its best."

London was selected based upon several factors, including general fan interest, current NFL visibility through existing media agreements, the range and quality of large, world-class stadia, including Wembley and Twickenham, the size and value of the overall sports and entertainment market and the potential to build year-round marketing, sponsorship and fan engagement.

More details about the London game -- including the venue and participating teams -- are expected to be confirmed during Super Bowl week (Jan. 29-Feb. 4) in South Florida.

The NFL staged its first regular-season game outside of the United States in 2005 when 103,467 people saw the Arizona Cardinals play the San Francisco 49ers in Mexico City on October 2 -- the largest crowd for a regular-season game in NFL history.

HarveyWallbangers
01-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Rumor is the Giants and Dolphins.

swede
01-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Will the league compensate the "home" team for loss of revenue?

I think I'd be ticked if Green Bay were chosen to go. Exhibition season--fine.

Beyond the money and the fact that it would suck to lose even one Sunday of traditional tailgating and all, a coach would hate all the unknowns that might contribute to a loss that might mean something bad come playoff time.

mmmdk
01-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Will the league compensate the "home" team for loss of revenue?

I think I'd be ticked if Green Bay were chosen to go. Exhibition season--fine.

Beyond the money and the fact that it would suck to lose even one Sunday of traditional tailgating and all, a coach would hate all the unknowns that might contribute to a loss that might mean something bad come playoff time.

...then get McCarthy to get the Packers a home playoff game ( I wish) - then you won't lose the 8th and 9th tailgate at Lambeau. :mrgreen: Today Wisconsin, tomorrow the world. Green Bay won't lose a home game next season but regular season games outside USA is good for NFL. Heck, some people might even notice that there is a world outside America & Iraq.

MJZiggy
01-17-2007, 08:28 PM
THERE IS???? :shock: Oh wait, that's right. My car is from Japan.

mmmdk
01-17-2007, 08:42 PM

:D Glad you could see the fun in it, MJ.

HarveyWallbangers
01-17-2007, 08:47 PM

Actually, it's probably from here. But the people making the real money off it live in Japan. My wife's car is from Sweden. Well, my wife is making me drive her car--while she's driving my truck.
:cry:

BooHoo
01-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Just put your foot down and get your truck back!

HarveyWallbangers
01-17-2007, 08:54 PM

She claims it's safer for her and the kid. If it weren't for the kid, I'd be driving the son of a bitch.

BooHoo
01-17-2007, 08:56 PM

She claims it's safer for her and the kid. If it weren't for the kid, I'd be driving the son of a bitch.

LOL. :lol:

I just bought a 2003 Ford F150 4x4 last week and enjoy every minute driving. This is my first truck!

J-Rok
01-17-2007, 11:44 PM
Road trip anyone?

MJZiggy
01-18-2007, 06:35 AM
I'm in!! Where we going?

BooHoo
01-18-2007, 07:33 AM
How about somewhere north and cold? :)

MJZiggy
01-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Already there. Winter showed up here this week. Ice storm predicted for this afternoon.

packinpatland
01-18-2007, 09:40 AM
I'm in England alot on business, I would most definetly 'shedule' somethng to coincide if the Packers went.

I'd bring the sign I made for the Patriot/Packer game.".WE'RE HERE FROM NEW ENGLAND TO BACK THE PACK!!"

Partial
01-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Already there. Winter showed up here this week. Ice storm predicted for this afternoon.

Aren't you in FL?

MJZiggy
01-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Nope. Used to be. Further north now.

packers11
01-18-2007, 12:47 PM
That is really going to be tough on the teams playing there... It would be good for the NFL to be a little more world wide but you also got to think for the players, coaching stand point also... It might not be the best game anyone plays with the lack of rest / preparation... :|

MadtownPacker
01-18-2007, 01:21 PM
I dont think it will bother them too much more then a trip West or East. They have to be use to flying so a lil extra trip wont hurt. Plus both teams have to feel it so it aint unfair.

Great idea and the NFL is making sure they are gonna get MMDK's and Tarlam's and Kiwon's and Woody's and your $$$$!

MJZiggy
01-18-2007, 01:47 PM

If her car is from Sweden, I'm thinking you should do a little safety research. I can't see any way a truck is safer than a Volvo unless it's a Hummer or something...

Zool
01-18-2007, 01:52 PM
4x4 + snow = lots of fun

BooHoo
01-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Yes, already used it to pull my oldest daughter out of the ditch. More lake effect snow tonight.

packinpatland
01-19-2007, 08:31 AM

If her car is from Sweden, I'm thinking you should do a little safety research. I can't see any way a truck is safer than a Volvo unless it's a Hummer or something...

Over the past 25 years I've had three daughters and 5 Volvos, one lasting 17 years...............they are tanks! I slept well knowing what they were driving.

Guiness
01-19-2007, 08:58 AM

I was going to post the same thing. And you may even be wrong about the Hummer - most light trucks aren't considered passenger vehicles, so aren't tested. What a crock, eh? The government has no back bone to change legislation to change this.

Here are the test results for the '04 H2 Hummer

Frontal Crash: Rating:
Driver Not tested by NHTSA
Passenger Not tested by NHTSA

Side Crash: Rating:
Front Seat Not tested by NHTSA
Rear Seat Not tested by NHTSA

Rollover Resistance: Rating:
Rollover Resistance Not tested by NHTSA

So is it better? Who knows. We don't :roll:

I might also add that if your Volvo is a X-Country, it is undoubtedly far better than any run of the mill 4WD pickup in the snow!

Partial
01-19-2007, 09:49 AM
Trucks are safer because you're riding in a higher position I thought? That, and they have more mass and thus more force in a collision, and if there was to a be a collision between two cars, the one likely to survive is going to have more force.

MJZiggy
01-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Trucks are also a greater rollover risk for that very same reason. They are taller and will roll more easily, though that was improved, I believe with stabilizer bars. I guess you'd have to check the particular truck against the particular car...

Freak Out
01-19-2007, 11:13 AM
London calling to the faraway towns
Now war is declared - and battle come down
London calling to the underworld
Come out of the cupboard,you boys and girls
London calling, now don't look to us
Phoney Beatlemania has bitten the dust
London calling, see we ain't got no swing
'Cept for the reign of that truncheon thing

HarveyWallbangers
01-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Trucks are also a greater rollover risk for that very same reason. They are taller and will roll more easily, though that was improved, I believe with stabilizer bars. I guess you'd have to check the particular truck against the particular car...

Well, if you drive safe, then the greater risk is being run into be another driver.

Also, the truck has 4x4. The car does not. That's better for safety driving in Minnesota winters. The main issue though is she ran her tires down in her car. The truck is a little newer and doesn't have as much wear. Also, I just got the breaks done in the truck--while the car is in need of new brakes. So, all around, she did have a point. It was fun for awhile. I liked the giddy up in the car, but now I want my truck back.