PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles Chargers?

GoPackGo
04-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Mayor: San Diego can't afford stadium

Posted: April 21, 2006

Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- Cash-strapped San Diego doesn't have the money to help the Chargers build a new stadium, Mayor Jerry Sanders said Friday, opening the door for Southern California's only NFL team to leave the city it has called home for 45 years.
Sanders said he plans to ask the City Council to amend the Chargers' lease to allow the team to begin looking at sites elsewhere in San Diego County before the end of the year. If the team fails to find a new home in the county before Jan. 1, the Chargers would be free to negotiate a deal anywhere in the country.

The Chargers can leave San Diego after the 2008 season if they pay off the approximately $60 million in bonds the city issued in 1997 to expanded Qualcomm Stadium.

"I do not think it would be prudent or honest for me to say to taxpayers 'We can't resurface our roadways, but we can finance a stadium,"' the mayor said.

The Chargers' negotiator, Mark Fabiani, said the smaller cities of Oceanside, Chula Vista, and National City to the north and south of San Diego have approached the team, along with a private investor whose identity Fabiani wouldn't disclose.

"It's tough to make a deal like this in seven months, but it's enough time to get a sense of whether something can get done or not," Fabiani said. "This does give us an opportunity to really figure out whether there's anything promising out there."

San Diego is facing what the mayor called a financial and a managerial crisis, which includes a $1.4 billion city employee pension fund deficit and federal investigations into city finances.

The Chargers have been in San Diego since 1961, the year after they started playing in Los Angeles under the ownership of hotel magnate Barron Hilton.

Last year, the team proposed building a $450 million stadium as part of a commercial development the Qualcomm site, but dropped the plan because it could not find developers to share the estimated $800 million upfront costs. The team offered to pay for the stadium and traffic improvements, but wanted the city to give it 60 acres for development to recoup its costs.

Earlier this year, the mayor of San Antonio signaled that his city would welcome the Chargers to fill the Alamodome, where the displaced New Orleans Saints played three games last season.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Fosco33
04-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Hmmmm... As a LA resident, I'd love to see a team here - although I'd prefer a new stadium over the Rose Bowl or the Coliseum. I'd prefer the Chargers to build a new one in SD and an expansion team start here.

retailguy
04-22-2006, 09:03 PM
My guess is that it is either the

LA Chargers or
LA Bills

Maybe both.

Rastak
04-22-2006, 09:23 PM

LA Chargers or
LA Bills

Maybe both.

And I'd hate that.... I hate fans getting the royal shaft..F you Irsay and Modell....bastards....

b bulldog
04-22-2006, 09:23 PM
lOS aNGELES sAINTS

retailguy
04-22-2006, 09:26 PM

LA Chargers or
LA Bills

Maybe both.

And I'd hate that.... I hate fans getting the royal shaft..F you Irsay and Modell....bastards....

Me too.... But THAT is today's NFL. It's all about the money. Football is a sideline. Only fans with DEEP POCKETS are wanted.

b bulldog
04-22-2006, 10:07 PM
Saints will be on the move within three yars

retailguy
04-22-2006, 10:32 PM

Not so sure.... The publicity would be too bad, UNLESS, the fans don't pack the Superdome.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-22-2006, 10:37 PM
How bout the Los Angeles Vikings?

CyclonePackFan
04-22-2006, 10:41 PM
You know the NFL has to be happy. They've wanted to get a team in LA for about 5 years now, and there's no reason to expand any more. The divisions are perfect for the first time since....probably before the Carolina/Jacksonville expansion about ten years ago. If I was in the NFL front office, I'd be reluctant to screw up such a good system three years after we got it that way.

digitaldean
04-22-2006, 11:55 PM
It would seem oddly appropriate if the Chargers went to LA. They started there in the AFL days.

It would allow a PR nightmare if N.O. or Buffalo pulled up stakes.

San Diego's mayor said he couldn't legitimately go to taxpayers to pay for a stadium when they couldn't come up with money for road repair/resurfacing. At last, an elected official who won't bow to pro athletes!

Would be sad for SD to move, obviously. A Chargers' negotiator said that the smaller cities of Oceanside, Chula Vista and National City have approached the team, along with a private investor whose identity wouldn't be disclosed.

So the odds would seem long for them to leave. But if they did leave, LA would be tailor made for them.

Charles Woodson
04-23-2006, 05:13 PM

Why do you say that? is it cause there not doing good? if u say cause they did so horrible this year, you have no heart, i mean with the hurricanes and everything it was shit for them, alot of them lost there homes and stuff. so

Guiness
04-23-2006, 06:12 PM
Best part of this article - a couple of different business decisions, and Paris Hilton could own this team. Wouldn't that be the greatest??? :lol:

So Qualcomm was re-worked in '97 (8.5yrs ago) and they're looking for new digs already? Lemme guess - not enough luxury suites.

If that's the case, I can't see them being happy with the Alamodome, Rose Bowl or Coliseum.