PDA

View Full Version : Schottenheimer staying on but refuses extension

packers11
01-17-2007, 06:44 PM
SAN DIEGO -- Marty Schottenheimer will return as coach of the San Diego Chargers next season, but turned down the team's offer to exercise a one-year club option for 2008 worth $4.5 million.

Three days after the talented Chargers melted down in a 24-21 playoff loss to New England, team president Dean Spanos announced that the embattled coach will be back for the final year of his contact.

Speculation grew following Sunday's loss that Schottenheimer might be fired due in part to the front office's expectations of a Super Bowl run, and to the coach's icy relationship with general manager A.J. Smith.

"I have decided that Marty Schottenheimer is the best person to lead the Chargers in the 2007 season," Spanos said in a statement Wednesday. "General Manager A.J. Smith and I agree on this fundamental point."

Schottenheimer is under contract for $3.8 million this coming season.

"He decided not to accept [the] extension and I respect his decision," Spanos said.

Schottenheimer, the most successful coach never to reach the Super Bowl, didn't give a specific reason for declining the extension.

"I'm very comfortable with fulfilling the contract I signed several years ago," he said at a news conference.

Spanos and Smith did not attend the news conference.

The Chargers failed to advance in the playoffs despite their NFL-best 14-2 record.

Schottenheimer's career playoff record dropped to 5-13.

Information from The Associated Press and ESPN Insider Chris Mortensen was used in this report.

__________________________________________________ ____________________

That's good... I hope next year he sees the patriots again and they absolutely destroy them at foxboro and dance on their symbol... I know they play in the regular season, but the playoff would be more fitting... :mrgreen:

KYPack
01-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Why would he do that?

He's not that proud, he took Snyder's money.

Does he want to be able to go someplace else, at his age?

That's a puzzler.

Joemailman
01-17-2007, 10:06 PM
Doesn't get along with A.J. Smith, but is too proud to let Smith force him out before he's fulfilled his contract. In 2007, Coughlin in New York, Belichick in New England and Marty will be in the last year of their contracts. The possibilities are intriguing.

Bretsky
01-17-2007, 10:06 PM
Why would he do that?

He's not that proud, he took Snyder's money.

Does he want to be able to go someplace else, at his age?

That's a puzzler.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I bet he wanted a multi year extension and viewed the one year as a token offer.

Bretsky
01-17-2007, 10:08 PM
Doesn't get along with A.J. Smith, but is too proud to let Smith force him out before he's fulfilled his contract. In 2007, Coughlin in New York, Belichick in New England and Marty will be in the last year of their contracts. The possibilities are intriguing.

Bellichek is the best coach in football

I'd never want Coughlin

Marty's proven, but not sure I'd want him either.

It was rough to see da Bears win, but Holmgren has had as many heartbreaking playoff losses as any coach I know. Even though I like him, it's still nice to see that in a dimented way.

Fritz
01-18-2007, 05:42 AM
Probably I'd say that Schottenheimer is proud, etc, feels that his players will play for him even if it's the last year of his contract, wants to prove it.

They were damn good this year. I think a GM would be crazy not to bring him back.