PDA

View Full Version : McKenzie to Titans?

KYPack
01-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Packers give Titans permission to speak with McKenzie

The Tennessee Titans on Wednesday were granted permission by the Green Bay Packers to interview Reggie McKenzie for their job opening at general manager.

It’s unclear when McKenzie, the Packers’ director of pro scouting, will interview with the Titans, though presumably it will be soon. The Titans called the Packers on Wednesday to ask to talk with McKenzie.

The Titans are looking to replace long-time GM Floyd Reese, who resigned this offseason after failing to get a contract extension after his 13th season as the Titans’ executive vice president and general manager.

McKenzie, who turns 44 next month, has been with the Packers since 1994, when former GM Ron Wolf hired him as an assistant pro scout. He was promoted to director of pro personnel in 1997 and has held that title since.

Last year McKenzie interviewed for the GM job with the Houston Texans, who ultimately hired Rick Smith from the Denver Broncos for the job.

It’s also unclear how much authority the Titans will give their new GM. They retained coach Jeff Fisher, who also carries the title of executive vice president and whose biography is second in the Titans’ press guide, after owner Bud Adams. Fisher could end up having final say over personnel decisions.

The Titans reportedly have asked to talk to Charles Bailey, who is Jacksonville’s director of pro personnel.

(This is probably good for both teams. Reggie get his promotion and TT brings in one of his own guys.)

Fritz
01-18-2007, 05:36 AM
Who knows? I don't have enough info to be able to make a judgment. But I wish the guy all the best if he thinks being a GM in Tennessee would be good. I will say that it would be weird to come in and know the coach has about as much power as you do, which would seem to be the case in Tennessee.

KYPack
01-18-2007, 08:47 AM
I go to WKY 4-5 times a year. That's near the Tenn border and is Titan country.

Fisher is a major GOD down there. There is almost a cult of personality for the guy. It was Fisher who screwed the cap up so they basically had to release everybody a couple years ago. When that and the bad record hit, there were signals from mgt to release Fisher. The locals (think Deliverance here) went nuts. It was obvious Fisher runs the team.

If I was Reggie, I wouldn't take the gig. It's a lose-lose job.

Guiness
01-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Management got a major case of 'what have you done for me lately' when the cap crunch hit.

Fisher did the right thing. He had the horses (McNair, George, Kearse) and went for the brass ring. Same as Sherman. Also the same as Sherman, he failed, and found himself in a pickle.

The locals were right on that one. A couple of years to retool, and they're a decent team again.

MJZiggy
02-02-2007, 11:17 AM
While we're waiting for the media to make up its mind as to whether Brett's made up his mind, I found this:

Titans | McKenzie out of running for GM gig
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 08:25:47 -0800

Pete Dougherty, of PackersNews.com, reports Green Bay Packers director of pro personnel Reggie McKenzie is no longer considered a candidate for the vacant general manager position with the Tennessee Titans, according to sources close to the situation.

KYPack
02-03-2007, 09:04 AM
While we're waiting for the media to make up its mind as to whether Brett's made up his mind, I found this:

Titans | McKenzie out of running for GM gig
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 08:25:47 -0800

Pete Dougherty, of PackersNews.com, reports Green Bay Packers director of pro personnel Reggie McKenzie is no longer considered a candidate for the vacant general manager position with the Tennessee Titans, according to sources close to the situation.

Reggie's better off not taking that gig.

Maybe he'll get the Texan job when it comes up.

Houston is kind of the GB Alumni club.

Joemailman
02-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Report: Seahawks VP Reinfeldt to be named Titans GM

By Jose Miguel Romero

Seattle Times staff reporter

Mike Reinfeldt, the Seahawks vice president of player administration, will be named the Tennessee Titans' general manager, according to a report on the NFL Network.

An announcement is expected as soon as Monday. Reinfeldt has been employed by the Seahawks for all but one season since January 1999, managing the team's salary cap, negotiating player contracts and overseeing some aspects of the Seahawks' day-to-day football operations.