PDA

View Full Version : Boise State

Guiness
01-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Who things Boise State should've been in the national championship bowl? I'm guessing the selection comitee didn't even give it consideration.

MJZiggy
01-19-2007, 09:34 AM
If they're that good a team, they should be given consideration just like the bigger schools. We found out when the SEC played the Big Ten that the ones you think are dominant are not always the ones who dominate.

Zool
01-19-2007, 09:58 AM
If they're that good a team, they should be given consideration just like the bigger schools. We found out when the SEC played the Big Ten that the ones you think are dominant are not always the ones who dominate.QFT

esoxx
01-19-2007, 10:05 AM
If they're that good a team, they should be given consideration just like the bigger schools. We found out when the SEC played the Big Ten that the ones you think are dominant are not always the ones who dominate.

The Big Ten was 2-1 against SEC teams in bowls this year.

MJZiggy
01-19-2007, 11:03 AM
See? One of 'em didn't dominate.

Scott Campbell
01-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Who things Boise State should've been in the national championship bowl? I'm guessing the selection comitee didn't even give it consideration.

With a do over, Boise State would play Ohio State, and Ohio State would stand a good chance of becoming the national chmpion. Given the hindsight of how Florida exposed them as a over-hyped pretender, how do you keep Florida out of the national championship game?

Bottom line is, there is no effective fix for the current mess that does not include some variation of a playoff system.

MJZiggy
01-19-2007, 11:56 AM
I don't get it. What's wrong with playoffs?

Scott Campbell
01-19-2007, 12:12 PM
2 years ago, USC, Auburn and Utah were undefeated. Under the current system, no matter what, somebody was going to get screwed out of a title shot. Though the BCS decided that they'd screw 2 teams instead of 1 by letting a one loss Oklahoma team get spanked in the championship game by USC with a final score of 55-19. Oops.

To make matters worse, the BCS didn't even let Auburn and Utah play each other, sentencing the Utes to a meaningless BCS bowl game against an inferior 8-3 Pitt team that earned their BCS berth just by winning their crappy conference and getting the automatic bid that comes with being a member of the Big East conference.

Then Utah Coach Urban Meyer was asked after they defeated Pitt in a 35-7 Fiesta Bowl romp how he thought his Utes would do against USC. He responded "I think we'd crush them" - with a straight face and amazingly without a hint of arrogance. Seeing he was given a similar opportunity this year at Florida against another overwhelming favorite, I tend to believe him.

The current system is well beyond ineffective - it's corrupt.

Scott Campbell
01-19-2007, 12:13 PM
I don't get it. What's wrong with playoffs?

I corrected my post. Should make sense now.

Murphy37
01-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Yes it's all about the money. I love Barry Alvarez, but he says it's all about the kids. With the current bowl system, more kids get a chance to play in a bowl thus having a great college sports experience. Well Barry, with all due respect I think your full of shit. It's about cash, and the fear that colleges have along with bowl sponsors, is that a playoff system could jeopardize that cash intake, and they are not willing to take that chance. They have a good thing going, raking the money in, why mess with it, in their eyes. Seems all well and good but the fans get screwed, and occaisionally people like Urban Meyer have the balls to challenge it because they are more greedy to win, then they are to make money.

MJZiggy
01-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Your post made sense. It's the stubborn objection those in charge have to a playoff system that I don't understand.

MadtownPacker
01-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Undefeated Boise St is the only champion I will acknowledge this season. Me and OPF plus a few other told you all they where going to show you something!!

What they did was give us one of the best finishes in college FB while the suppose to be best team got spanked hard. In fact all the BCS games sucked besides the BSU and OS game.

Freak Out
01-19-2007, 01:35 PM
The BCS is a joke. Greed is good.

Cheesehead Craig
01-19-2007, 02:11 PM
OK, so Boise State won the most thrilling Bowl game ever, but who did they exactly beat to do it? Oklahoma is not a major powerhouse and they struggled to get past them. I honestly don't believe that they could have beaten FL, USC, LSU or OSU. Like I said, great bowl game, but I refuse to be swept up by that performance only. Sure they won all their games, but their schedule was arguably softer than the Badgers was, and nobody is clamoring that they deserve a title shot.

JMO and I'm sure I'll get flamed for it.

Lurker64
01-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Undefeated Boise St is the only champion I will acknowledge this season. Me and OPF plus a few other told you all they where going to show you something!!

Quoted for Truth. Florida is not the 2006 national champion if you ask me, Boise State was. Boise defeated all comers, and can't be faulted for their schedule (if you were a prestigious college football program, would you want to schedule Boise as part of your nonconference? If you lose you look bad, and if you win you don't look good.) Florida failed to defeat all comers, and so can't be put ahead Boise in my mind.

oregonpackfan
01-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Yes it's all about the money. I love Barry Alvarez, but he says it's all about the kids. With the current bowl system, more kids get a chance to play in a bowl thus having a great college sports experience. Well Barry, with all due respect I think your full of shit. It's about cash, and the fear that colleges have along with bowl sponsors, is that a playoff system could jeopardize that cash intake, and they are not willing to take that chance. They have a good thing going, raking the money in, why mess with it, in their eyes. Seems all well and good but the fans get screwed, and occaisionally people like Urban Meyer have the balls to challenge it because they are more greedy to win, then they are to make money.

I think Murphy is right on the mark with the cash argument. Those communities which host the Bowl games are not about to give up the huge infusion of money. Think of the many ways the teams and their fans bring money to the city hosting a bowl game--hotels, restaurants, shuttle services, souvenir shops, security, etc.

In addition the corporate sponsors have as much, if not more, financial input in keeping the bowl system as it is. I very much doubt if we would have a Division I playoff system in the next 10 years.

By the way, though Boise State has a relatively weak schedule, they are still a high quality team. In a few years, some of the bigger schools may schedule their non-conference games with them.

MJZiggy
01-19-2007, 07:32 PM
Then here's my other question: if you had a playoff system, wouldn't as many games have to be played as bowl games are played now? And wouldn't the alumi show up for a playoff game just as they would a bowl game? And couldn't sponsors sponsor a playoff game in the same way they do a bowl game? Ok, that was more than one question. :oops:

Bretsky
01-20-2007, 09:08 AM
Then here's my other question: if you had a playoff system, wouldn't as many games have to be played as bowl games are played now? And wouldn't the alumi show up for a playoff game just as they would a bowl game? And couldn't sponsors sponsor a playoff game in the same way they do a bowl game? Ok, that was more than one question. :oops:

Think about it; if you had a 16 team playoff system two teams would have four extra games. So do you cut 4 games off the schedule then ?

What is best for the student athlete ? That's what gets lost in all of this.

How about that student athlete that ends his career on a terrible injury on one of those extra games ?

I'm for a 8 team playoff; but in reality then you have to cut 2-3 games off the schedule.

The playoff format does not benefit the student athlete
The playoff format really will not benefit the colleges financially

It just makes the fans and media happy...and it's the most fair.

oregonpackfan
01-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Solid points, Bretsky!

Scott Campbell
01-21-2007, 10:14 AM
An 8 team playoff would be no worse for student athletes than the 64 team NCAA basketball tournament - both would be played over 3 consecutive weekends.

Any team that can't crack the top 8 has no business griping about not getting a fair shot.

The BCS fears that their cash cow bowl games will become insignificant if a playoff format is adopted. And I believe the people that have the power to correct the situation are being handsomely paid to keep it just the way it is.

In basketball, a kid can choose to go to UWGB, Gonzaga, Utah, and any number of other schools that are non traditional powers knowing that if they play well enough, they can earn their way into meaningful post season play. In football, a player with any ambition whatsoever has to go to one of the handful of pre-ordained football powers if they want any hope of playing in a meaningful post season game. So the corrupt system continues to feed the haves at the expense of the have-nots. How would you like to be the coach at Boise State knowing that Pete Carol can come in right behind you on the recruiting trail and point out to a kid “hey it’s your choice, but if you go to Boise State, you have no chance of playing for a championship - no matter how good your team is”. It’s criminal.