PDA

View Full Version : sporting news round 1 mock draft 1/18/06

GoPackGo
01-19-2007, 01:16 PM
1 (1) Raiders JaMarcus Russell* QB LSU
Owner/GM Al Davis loves Ohio State wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr.'s electrifying speed but should realize his team is in desperate need of a quarterback for the future.

2 (2) Lions Joe Thomas T Wis.
Offensive coordinator Mike Martz knows the importance of having a strong line and although Thomas is not as good as the Rams' Orlando Pace, a former Martz player, he projects as a solid NFL left tackle.

3 (3) Browns Adrian Peterson* RB Oklahoma
(pick subject to coin flip) With Thomas gone, Browns officials will debate long and hard between Peterson and Michigan defensive tackle Alan Branch but should go with Peterson in the hope his great talent can be harnessed.

4 (4) Buccaneers Calvin Johnson* WR Georgia Tech
(pick subject to coin flip) The Bucs need an offensive spark; Johnson has the strength, hands, toughness and character to immediately boost their passing attack.

5 (5) Cardinals Justin Blalock G Texas
New coach Ken Whisenhunt, formerly the Steelers' offensive coordinator, surely will make improving the offensive line a top priority. The Cardinals must better protect Matt Leinart and open more holes for Edgerrin James. Taking Blalock here would be a bit of a reach, so the Cardinals could become a candidate to trade down.

6 (6) Redskins Gaines Adams DE Clemson
The Redskins have talent on defense but lack an explosive edge rusher who consistently can threaten the corner.

7 (7) Vikings Ted Ginn Jr.* WR Ohio St.
The Vikings need some offensive firepower and the super-fast Ginn Jr. would give them a downfield threat who makes big plays all over the field.

8 (8) Texans Alan Branch* DT Michigan
The Texans should continue to rebuild their defense. Branch is versatile and could line up in a variety of spots along the line.

9 (9) Dolphins Amobi Okoye DT Louisville
The Dolphins' to-be-named coach may go with this star athlete because in two seasons Okoye will be the best defensive tackle from this year's class.

10 (10) Falcons Jamaal Anderson* DE Arkansas
It's not just because of the familiar Falcons name; Atlanta has battled injury issues with veterans Patrick Kerney and John Abraham, and this Anderson gives them a young pass rusher to develop.

11 (11) 49ers Daymeion Hughes CB Cal
The 49ers' secondary has been inconsistent in recent seasons and the local product Hughes would give them a productive and tough young cornerback.

12 (12) Bills Zach Miller* TE Arizona St.
The Bills have great young talent at running back (Willis McGahee) and wide receiver (Lee Evans). Miller would give J.P. Losman yet another big-play option.

13 (13) Rams Paul Posluszny OLB Penn State
Rams officials would prefer to draft a speed/edge pass rusher, but none figure to be available at this spot. Instead, the team should take the top linebacker on the board.

14 (14) Panthers Greg Olsen* TE Miami (FL)
The Panthers have some concerns at safety and would consider LSU's LaRon Landry if available, but the chance to finally add an explosive tight end to the offense makes too much sense.

15 (15) Steelers Leon Hall CB Michigan
The Steelers' secondary was inconsistent and riddled by injuries in 2006, and the team would be wise to add the physical and productive Hall.

16 (16) Packers Kenny Irons RB Auburn
Packers officials want a running back and will debate long and hard about whether to take Irons, Ohio State's Antonio Pittman or Cal's Marshawn Lynch. Irons is the safest option and also has the most big-play speed.

17 (17) Jaguars Quentin Moses DE Georgia
The Jaguars should gamble on Moses, who played like a high first-round prospect in '05 but performed like a fourth-rounder as a senior and thus has slid way down some teams' draft boards.

18 (18) Bengals DeMarcus Tyler DT NC State
The Bengals need to boost their interior defensive line and the raw Tyler would give them a very talented young lineman for the near future.

19 (19) Titans Dwayne Jarrett* WR USC
The Titans improved greatly down the stretch of the '06 season with rookie Vince Young at the helm despite mediocre wide receivers. Jarrett would give Young a major weapon outside as he continues to develop.

20 (20) Giants Marshawn Lynch* RB Cal
The Giants have a surprising number of needs, but Tiki Barber is retiring and the coaches are not sold on backup Brandon Jacobs becoming the feature back. Lynch would be a fine complement to Jacobs.

21 (21) Broncos Darrelle Revis* CB Pitt
The Broncos need to address the Darrent Williams tragedy on the field and Revis is an elite athlete who can help their secondary as a rookie.

22 (22) Cowboys LaRon Landry S LSU
The Cowboys need a good safety to pair with Roy Williams so this way someone can cover deep while Williams attacks the run.

23 (23) Chiefs Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame
The Chiefs are expected to go for defense but if Quinn falls into their laps, they won't be able to pass on getting their quarterback of the future to replace Trent Green.

24 (24) Patriots Anthony Spencer DE Purdue
(from Seattle) The Patriots place a premium on versatility and toughness and Spencer would give them a pass rusher who can play both inside and outside linebacker.

25 (25) Jets Antonio Pittman* RB Ohio St.
The Jets need a full-time back to replace Curtis Martin and could very well go with the underrated but very talented Pittman.

26 (26) Eagles Brandon Meriweather S Miami (FL)
The Eagles have a gaping hole alongside Brian Dawkins. Team officials will debate between Meriweather and Virginia Tech's Aaron Rouse and could gamble on Meriweather because of his on-field impact in all aspects of defense.

27 (27) Saints Tanard Jackson CB Syracuse
(if Chicago wins Sunday) The Saints need help in their secondary for the future and Jackson would give them a tough cornerback with great physical tools.

28 (28) Colts Marcus McCauley CB Fresno St.
(if New England wins Sunday) The Colts need more defensive help and McCauley would gives them a tough, versatile and explosive corner who can make a real impact if he plays as he did as a junior.

29 (29) Ravens Aaron Ross CB Texas
The Ravens' cornerbacks, Chris McAlister and Samari Rolle are talented but are heading into their ninth and 10th NFL seasons, respectively. It's time to inject some youth into the unit. Ross could play the nickel role in '07 and take over as a starter in '08.

30 (30) Chargers Reggie Nelson* S Florida
The Chargers have struggled to find consistency at safety. Nelson, an instinctive defender, makes plays all over the field.

31 (31) Patriots Patrick Willis ILB Ole Miss
(if New England wins Sunday) The Patriots are old at inside linebacker and Willis has all the intangibles they covet.

32 (32) Bears Tony Ugoh T Arkansas
(if Chicago wins Sunday) The Bears already have a great team but adding youth and athleticism along their offensive line is a priority. Ugoh isn't ready to start now but will be in time

Zool
01-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Boy I just dont think Quinn will slip that far. I'm not real high on him myself but I just think too many teams need a QB.

Partial
01-19-2007, 01:51 PM
This is an awful mock. No way does Irons go that high.

Packnut
01-19-2007, 01:59 PM

If there really is ANYONE in the Packer organization who thinks Irons should go this high, he should be fired for pure stupidity. These mock drafts come up with some dumb picks but this one tops the list.

Partial
01-19-2007, 02:12 PM

If there really is ANYONE in the Packer organization who thinks Irons should go this high, he should be fired for pure stupidity. These mock drafts come up with some dumb picks but this one tops the list.

That, and the fact that their is no way TT goes after a running back in the first round.

Cheesehead Craig
01-19-2007, 02:18 PM

Amen to that. Some guy got paid for this mock? That's just sad.

I count at least 7 guys who are taken way too early, some a whole round early. Landry, Quinn and Jarrett all won't be available after the #13 pick, let alone in the 20's.

Anybody up for doing a mock draft here?

lod01
01-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Horrific pick. if you are taking a RB, the pick is Marshawn Lynch all day. Irons is nothing. Totally overrated.

Pack_Attack88
01-19-2007, 03:37 PM
if the Pack takes a RB over the players drafted after their pick according to this draft, I will be very upset!!!!

BF4MVP
01-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Irons?! I don't mind him, but in the first round?! You gotta be kiddin me..Especially with Lynch still available...But there's just NO way I would even think about taking Irons in the first..

Freak Out
01-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Irons is a good ball player...if he would have stayed healthy this year he MAY have gone in the first. He will be there in the second round for us but not the third. I would be fine with him being taken in the second.

This draft guy must be a Tiger Alum....

Brando19
01-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Worst mock I've ever seen.

esoxx
01-20-2007, 10:53 AM
I mock this mock draft.

ND72
01-20-2007, 03:24 PM
horrible mock draft...this person should be fired.

PackerPro42
01-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Why would you even post a ridiculous mock like this? This is by far the worst mock draft I've ever seen, and I've seen some bad ones.

BallHawk
01-20-2007, 05:10 PM
I actually like Irons. He runs with more power than his size suggests. However, in the 1st round? No way in hell. I'd rather have Irons than Lynch, however. I'd also rather have Michael Bush than Lynch. Sounds crazy. However, most RB's taken in the first round do not live up to expectations and at the end of the day, IMO, do not warrant the risk of spending a first round pick on one. Look at the starting backs in the NFL and you'll find that the majority of them are not first-rounders. RB is a position that can be filled from all over the draft. Spending a 1st on one, especially when it isn't a gaping hole, is unnecessary.

PackerPro42
01-20-2007, 07:41 PM
I actually like Irons. He runs with more power than his size suggests. However, in the 1st round? No way in hell. I'd rather have Irons than Lynch, however. I'd also rather have Michael Bush than Lynch. Sounds crazy. However, most RB's taken in the first round do not live up to expectations and at the end of the day, IMO, do not warrant the risk of spending a first round pick on one. Look at the starting backs in the NFL and you'll find that the majority of them are not first-rounders. RB is a position that can be filled from all over the draft. Spending a 1st on one, especially when it isn't a gaping hole, is unnecessary.

That can be said for any position in the draft, there's always some risk factor when it comes to drafting a player, but I believe the success rate for first round RB is quite high. Here's a list of starting RB in the league and when they were drafted.......

Ravens- Jamal Lewis= 1st round

Bengals- Rudi Johnson= 4th round

Bills- Willis McGahee= 1st round

Broncos- Tatum Bell= 2nd round

Browns- Reuben Droughns= 3rd round

Charger- LT=1st round

Chiefs- LJ= 1st round

Colts- Joseoh Adai=1st round

Dolphins- Ronnie Brown= 1st round

Jaguars= Maurice Jones-Drew=1st round

Jets- Leon Washington= 4th round

Patriots- Lawrence Maroney=1st round

Raiders- Lamont Jordan= 2nd round

Steelers- Willie Parker= Undrafted

Texans- Dominack Williams= 4th round

Titans- Travis Henry= 2nd round

49'ers- Frank Gore= 2nd round

Bears- Thomas Jones= 1st round

Bucs- Carnell Williams= 1st round

Cardinals- Edge= 1st round

Cowboys- Julius Jones= 1st round

Eagles- Brian Westbrook= ?

Falcons- Warrick Dunn= 1st round

Giants- Tiki Barber= 2nd Round

Lions- Jones= 1st round

Packers- Ahman Green= 6th round

Panthers- Deangelo Williams= 1st round

Rams- Stephen Jackson= 1st round

Redskins- Portis= 2nd round

Saints- Bush/ McCallister=1st

Seahawks- Alexander= 1st round

Vikings- Chester Taylor= ?

You're probably right though. I mean only 19 of the 32 starting NFL RB's are from the 1st round. :roll: And if you look, you'll see that most of the first rounders are the top RB's in the league.

BooHoo
01-20-2007, 08:42 PM
I would be surprised if Iron's went that high in the draft.

Lurker64
01-20-2007, 09:14 PM
I would be surprised if Iron's went that high in the draft.

If he runs well at the combine and looks unstoppable against NFL calibre talent at the senior bowl, who knows?

HarveyWallbangers
01-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Charger- LT=1st round
Chiefs- LJ= 1st round
Lions- Jones= 1st round

You're probably right though. I mean only 19 of the 32 starting NFL RB's are from the 1st round. :roll: And if you look, you'll see that most of the first rounders are the top RB's in the league.

Generally, I agree with you that it's silly to say you shouldn't draft a position because there have been a lot of busts at the position. However, your argument wasn't that great.

1) You counted both Bush and McAllister each as one of the 32 starting NFL RBs. Either it's 18 of 32 or 19 of 33.

2) Tiki, Jones-Drew and Julius Jones were 2nd round picks. Now, you are down to 15 of that 32. That sounds about the same at most positions. (See my analysis of WRs below.)

Conversely, RBs tend to be drafted higher than other positions. So, comparing RBs to safeties, you'll get more RBs drafted in the 1st round--even though you only need 1 RB and 2 safeties. This is important because then there's a bigger pool of busts also. In the last 10-12 years, here are the 1st round RB busts (or average players): Chris Perry, William Green, T.J. Duckett, Michael Bennett, Ron Dayne, Trung Canidate, Curtis Enis, Robert Edwards, John Avery, Lawrence Phillips, Ki-Jana Carter, Tyrone Wheatley, Rashaan Salaam, Greg Hill

FYI - Ahman, Gore, and Westbrook were 3rd round picks. Chester Taylor was a 6th round pick.

#1 WRs:

Ravens-Mark Clayton-1st round
Bengals-Chad Johnson-2nd round
Bills-Lee Evans-1st round
Broncos-Javon Walker-1st round
Browns-Braylon Edwards-1st round
Charger-Eric Parker-Undrafted
Chiefs-Eddie Kennison-1st round
Colts-Marvin Harrison-1st round
Dolphins-Chris Chambers-2nd round
Jaguars-Matt Jones-1st round
Jets-Laveranues Coles-3rd round
Patriots-Reche Caldwell-2nd round
Raiders-Randy Moss-1st round
Steelers-Hines Ward-3rd round
Texans-Andre Johnson-1st round
Titans-Drew Bennett-Undrafted
49'ers-Antonio Bryant-2nd round
Bears-Muhsin Muhammad-2nd round
Bucs-Joey Galloway-1st round
Cardinals-Larry Fitzgerald-1st round
Cowboys-Terrell Owens-3rd round
Eagles-Donte Stallworth-1st round
Falcons-Roddy White-1st round
Giants-Plaxico Burress-1st round
Lions-Roy Williams-1st round
Packers-Donald Driver-7th round
Panthers-Steve Smith-3rd round
Rams-Torry Holt-1st round
Redskins-Santana Moss-1st round
Saints-Marques Colston-7th round
Seahawks-Darrell Jackson-3rd round
Vikings-Travis Taylor-1st round

18 of the 32 #1 WRs in the league were first round picks.

That being said, I wouldn't NOT draft Lynch because of Ballhawk's reasoning. I do think that Denver has shown that you don't need to draft RBs high. You just need to find guys that fit the one-cut, zone blocking system.

PackerPro42
01-20-2007, 09:42 PM
And Lynch fits that perfectly.

HarveyWallbangers
01-20-2007, 09:45 PM
And Lynch fits that perfectly.

Just don't fall in love with Lynch. The odds are more likely he won't end up in Green Bay than will. He could have a great combine and go higher or bad one and go lower. What tends to happen with people is they fall in love with a player or two, and then when their team drafts somebody else, they are all bummed out. There will be other All-Pro players in the draft.

BallHawk
01-20-2007, 10:22 PM
And Lynch fits that perfectly.He could have a great combine and go higher or bad one and go lower. What tends to happen with people is they fall in love with a player or two, and then when their team drafts somebody else, they are all .

That's sort of what happened last year with Mario Williams. Before the combine Packer fans were contemplating between Williams and Hawk. Then, after the combine, we didn't have that problem any more. It all can change very quickly.

the_idle_threat
01-20-2007, 11:29 PM
Charger- LT=1st round
Chiefs- LJ= 1st round
Lions- Jones= 1st round

Generally, I agree with you that it's silly to say you shouldn't draft a position because there have been a lot of busts at the position. However, your argument wasn't that great.

1) You counted both Bush and McAllister each as one of the 32 starting NFL RBs. Either it's 18 of 32 or 19 of 33.

2) Tiki, Jones-Drew and Julius Jones were 2nd round picks. Now, you are down to 15 of that 32. That sounds about the same at most positions. (See my analysis of WRs below.)

Conversely, RBs tend to be drafted higher than other positions. So, comparing RBs to safeties, you'll get more RBs drafted in the 1st round--even though you only need 1 RB and 2 safeties. This is important because then there's a bigger pool of busts also. In the last 10-12 years, here are the 1st round RB busts (or average players): Chris Perry, William Green, T.J. Duckett, Michael Bennett, Ron Dayne, Trung Canidate, Curtis Enis, Robert Edwards, John Avery, Lawrence Phillips, Ki-Jana Carter, Tyrone Wheatley, Rashaan Salaam, Greg Hill

FYI - Ahman, Gore, and Westbrook were 3rd round picks. Chester Taylor was a 6th round pick.

#1 WRs:

Ravens-Mark Clayton-1st round
Bengals-Chad Johnson-2nd round
Bills-Lee Evans-1st round
Broncos-Javon Walker-1st round
Browns-Braylon Edwards-1st round
Charger-Eric Parker-Undrafted
Chiefs-Eddie Kennison-1st round
Colts-Marvin Harrison-1st round
Dolphins-Chris Chambers-2nd round
Jaguars-Matt Jones-1st round
Jets-Laveranues Coles-3rd round
Patriots-Reche Caldwell-2nd round
Raiders-Randy Moss-1st round
Steelers-Hines Ward-3rd round
Texans-Andre Johnson-1st round
Titans-Drew Bennett-Undrafted
49'ers-Antonio Bryant-2nd round
Bears-Muhsin Muhammad-2nd round
Bucs-Joey Galloway-1st round
Cardinals-Larry Fitzgerald-1st round
Cowboys-Terrell Owens-3rd round
Eagles-Donte Stallworth-1st round
Falcons-Roddy White-1st round
Giants-Plaxico Burress-1st round
Lions-Roy Williams-1st round
Packers-Donald Driver-7th round
Panthers-Steve Smith-3rd round
Rams-Torry Holt-1st round
Redskins-Santana Moss-1st round
Saints-Marques Colston-7th round
Seahawks-Darrell Jackson-3rd round
Vikings-Travis Taylor-1st round

18 of the 32 #1 WRs in the league were first round picks.

That being said, I wouldn't NOT draft Lynch because of Ballhawk's reasoning. I do think that Denver has shown that you don't need to draft RBs high. You just need to find guys that fit the one-cut, zone blocking system.

Tiki was listed and counted as a 2nd-round pick. However, your numbers come out anyway (15 out of 32) because Deangelo Williams is not the starter in Carolina. Deshaun Foster is the starter there, and he was a 2nd-round pick. Also, according to depth charts at Yahoo sports and at nfl.com, Corey Dillon (2nd round) is the starter in New England over Maroney, and Fred Taylor (1st round) starts in JAX over Jones-Drew, so those two corrections cancel each other out.

FWIW, I agree that a team running the ZBS does not need to draft a RB high, although they would be wise to grab a top talent for the scheme even if it costs a high pick. I also agree it is too early to fall in love with any one player ... there is still a lot of time for draft stock to rise and/or fall with the combine and pro days forthcoming.

Partial
01-20-2007, 11:59 PM

That can be said for any position in the draft, there's always some risk factor when it comes to drafting a player, but I believe the success rate for first round RB is quite high. Here's a list of starting RB in the league and when they were drafted.......

Charger- LT=1st round

Chiefs- LJ= 1st round

Lions- Jones= 1st round

That is terrible logic.

PackerPro42
01-21-2007, 08:53 AM
It's terrible logic to think that drafting a position in the first round will be a waste of a pick because he'll be a bust. If you think that then you mind as well trade all you picks away for some high priced player that's already proven hiself. I was trying to show that the majority of the NFL starting RB are from the first round.

Fritz
01-21-2007, 09:20 AM
One thing I like about TT is that he doesn't seem to get too caught up in the combine numbers. Yes, it's useful to see the players jump, run, think, and so on, but it kind of creeps me out how a player can have a kind of okay college career, then do a bunch of weightlifting and jumping at the combine, and all of a sudden he's a first rounder.

I agree with Harv that we as fans tend to get caught up with a few players, and if the Pack doesn't get "our" guy, we're upset. Happens to most of us. For the record, "my" guy this year is that Georgia Tech wide receiver, CJ. I would say this is the year Millen in Detroit SHOULD take a wide receiver high - and, being Millen, he won't.

I"m trying to be open about who the Pack takes - how much do I know, really? - but I am liking Marshawn Lynch.

I also like the idea of TT trading down and getting another second rounder. Heck, nobody - or few people - had any clue who Darryn Colledge was last year, and now it looks as if he could be a good starting NFL guard.

BallHawk
01-21-2007, 09:48 AM
It's terrible logic to think that drafting a position in the first round will be a waste of a pick because he'll be a bust. If you think that then you mind as well trade all you picks away for some high priced player that's already proven hiself. I was trying to show that the majority of the NFL starting RB are from the first round.

I said that the bust factor for RBs is definitely a factor to consider, but I'm not basing my whole logic off that. I'd say the most important thing to consider, like others said, is that in the ZBS, you don't need a superstar to be successful. Look at the top RBs in the league and you'll find that none of them have a ring. A Superstar RB is not needed to win a SB, just ask the Patriots.

Rastak
01-21-2007, 09:51 AM

I said that the bust factor for RBs is definitely a factor to consider, but I'm not basing my whole logic off that. I'd say the most important thing to consider, like others said, is that in the ZBS, you don't need a superstar to be successful. Look at the top RBs in the league and you'll find that none of them have a ring. A Superstar RB is not needed to win a SB, just ask the Patriots.

Who drafted a running back in the first round last year!

Lurker64
01-21-2007, 11:38 AM
I think what's important here is that Green Bay should absolutely take the best player available whether that's a running back or a defensive end or a safety or whatever. What we shouldn't do is lock in on taking a running back and take Lynch or god forbid Irons in the first passing up a better player who plays a different position.

If it's Lynch or Landry? I want Landry.
If it's Lynch or Reggie Nelson? I want Nelson.
If it's Lynch or Amobi Okoye? I want the guy whose name I have trouble pronouncing.

If it's Lynch or nobody? I'll take Lynch.

BallHawk
01-21-2007, 11:58 AM
I think what's important here is that Green Bay should absolutely take the best player available whether that's a running back or a defensive end or a safety or whatever. What we shouldn't do is lock in on taking a running back and take Lynch or god forbid Irons in the first passing up a better player who plays a different position.

If it's Lynch or Landry? I want Landry.
If it's Lynch or Reggie Nelson? I want Nelson.
If it's Lynch or Amobi Okoye? I want the guy whose name I have trouble pronouncing.

If it's Lynch or nobody? I'll take Lynch.

I completely agree. Good post.