PDA

View Full Version : One less WR in the draft

Zool
01-19-2007, 01:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2736354

Notre Dame wide receiver Jeff Samardzija has decided to forego a pro football career for that of a baseball pitcher -- and he'll be well compensated for it.

ESPN.com's Wayne Drehs reports the deal is worth $8 million, guaranteed. A news conference was scheduled for Friday afternoon.

When the Cubs drafted Samardzija in the fifth round last June, giving him a $250,000 signing bonus, he intended to play both football and baseball professionally.

Last season, Samardzija pitched for Class A Boise and Peoria, where he finished a combined 1-2 with a 2.70 earned run average. He struck out 17 and walked 12 in 30 innings.

He is expected to start the season in Class A Peoria, where Cubs Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg will be the manager.

Partial
01-19-2007, 01:50 PM
What a weiner. I am bitter and it shows.

Charles Woodson
01-19-2007, 02:39 PM
bad choice imo

Pack_Attack88
01-19-2007, 03:34 PM
best news Ive heard all day!!! I have never liked Samarja(i know i spelled it wrong but its not worth looking up), and wanted the Pack to say far away from that stiff!!

GrnBay007
01-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Welcome to PR Pack Attack.

If you like all the draft stuff...stay tuned. This forum is full of Draft Addicts! :P

BF4MVP
01-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Woulda been a reach with our first, but probably wouldn't have fallen to our second..Doesn't make much of a difference to me...

Partial
01-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Drops another option to the pack in the second if he's in the draft. That's why i'm bitter.

He's a good player.

It's a good choice for him because his body will be in better shape and he'll make hella more money in baseball.

Freak Out
01-19-2007, 05:15 PM
He's smart....if you can even get it close to the plate some MLB team is going to pay you a load of cash. He can go make a fortune AND come to the NFL in 5 years if the hardball thing doesn’t pan out and still make a team.

If anyone is raising a son right now get them out back throwing a freaking baseball for crying out loud!

LaFours
01-20-2007, 11:49 AM
He's smart....if you can even get it close to the plate some MLB team is going to pay you a load of cash. He can go make a fortune AND come to the NFL in 5 years if the hardball thing doesn’t pan out and still make a team.

If anyone is raising a son right now get them out back throwing a freaking baseball for crying out loud!

With their left hand.

Fritz
01-20-2007, 11:57 AM

Yeah...like Drew Henson...

Lurker64
01-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Well, it's at least good he made a choice before the draft, and all. Still, odds are against him making as much money in baseball, but if it's what he loves, then I'm not going to say he's wrong.

digitaldean
01-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Well, it's at least good he made a choice before the draft, and all. Still, odds are against him making as much money in baseball, but if it's what he loves, then I'm not going to say he's wrong.

Same here.

But if baseball doesn't pan out, he better look at how great it worked out for Drew Henson.

Brando19
01-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Wow...this is a talented guy all around.

oregonpackfan
01-21-2007, 10:06 AM
While Jeff Samardzija was a great collegiate WR, I am unconvinced he has the breakaway speed to be a good pro WR.

I think he made a wise choice to pursue baseball.