PDA

View Full Version : Coach Notes

MJZiggy
01-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Some interesting stuff here...

Steelers | Team could be waiting for Rivera
Sat, 20 Jan 2007 07:20:35 -0800

Scott Brown and Mike Prisuta, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, report the Pittsburgh Steelers may be waiting to interview Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera again before hiring their next head coach. Should the Bears lose to the New Orleans Saints in the NFC Championship Game Sunday, Jan. 21, the Steelers could meet with Rivera as early as Monday, Jan. 22.

Colts | Dungy could make history
Sat, 20 Jan 2007 06:58:34 -0800

Mike Chappell, of the Indianapolis Star, reports Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy can become the first black head coach in NFL history to reach the Super Bowl. "Obviously it would be tremendous," Dungy said. "I'm honored to be in this position. But more than anything else, you're just trying to get your team there. I'm really focused on getting the Colts there for the first time since we've been in Indianapolis.'' Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith could also accomplish the historic feat should the Bears defeat the New Orleans Saints in the NFC Championship Game.

Chargers | Lofton a candidate for offensive coordinator
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 19:56:35 -0800

San Diego Chargers wide receivers coach James Lofton is a candidate to become the team's next offensive coordinator.

And speaking of Lofton...

Raiders | Sarkisian releases statement
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:37:02 -0800

Jerry McDonald, of ANG Newspapers, reports Southern California co-offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian has released a statement after withdrawing his name from consideration for the Oakland Raiders' head coaching position. "I was presented with a tremendous opportunity and experience of interviewing with [owner] Al Davis and the Oakland Raiders for their head coach position. I thank them for their interest in me. While the job was never offered to me, at this time in my career I've told them I want to stay at USC. I strongly believe that the Raiders job is a great opportunity for whomever their next head coach is going to be. My goal is to be a head football coach in college and USC is the best place for me to attain that goal. I'm extremely fortunate to work at such a great university for a head coach in Pete Carroll who allows me to strive and achieve at the highest level," Sarkisian said.

Fritz
01-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Maybe nobody wants to be the Raiders' head coach.

MJZiggy
01-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Denny Green does. He's just not willing to interview to do it. :P

oregonpackfan
01-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Landing a HC position in the NFL? Being chosen as the Raiders HC is a fine example of "Be careful what you wish for."

Securing the position of HC for the Raiders, Lions, or Cardinals is a task that is virtually doomed to failure.

MJZiggy
01-23-2007, 04:52 PM
What's up with this???

Steelers | Grimm to be granted release
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:42:04 -0800

Updating a previous item, Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports Pittsburgh Steelers assistant head coach and offensive line coach Russ Grimm will be granted a release from his contract at his request.

MJZiggy
01-23-2007, 04:56 PM
While I'm at it...

Titans | Fisher will not coach Cowboys
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 08:05:45 -0800

Paul Kuharsky, of the Tennessean, reports the Tennessee Titans will not allow head coach Jeff Fisher to interview for the Dallas Cowboys' head coaching vacancy. "Dallas has not requested permission to speak to Coach Fisher, and in the event they did, there are no circumstances under which permission would be granted," team CEO Steve Underwood said. "(Owner Bud) Adams has repeatedly made clear that Coach Fisher will be here, coaching the Titans."

MTPackerfan
01-23-2007, 05:30 PM
What's up with this???

Steelers | Grimm to be granted release
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:42:04 -0800

Updating a previous item, Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports Pittsburgh Steelers assistant head coach and offensive line coach Russ Grimm will be granted a release from his contract at his request.

He went to similar position for his buddy Whisenut (sp) for Cardinals.

BallHawk
01-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Russ Grimm was hired as the Cardinals Assistant HC and their O-line coach.

Fritz
01-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Denny Green and the Oakland Raiders: now there's a match.

red
01-24-2007, 02:32 PM
PFT is saying theres a lot of talk around the nfl that lovie might jump ship after the super bowl to coach his hometown cowboys, which would be his dream job

that would be interesting, and suck very bad for the bears to lose him and rivera

BooHoo
01-24-2007, 02:34 PM
No money in chicago so he might as well go to dallas to get a big payday.

MJZiggy
01-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Is Lovie's contract expiring? Cause if it's not, I don't see any way Chicago lets him go for a lateral jump...

red
01-24-2007, 02:50 PM
Is Lovie's contract expiring? Cause if it's not, I don't see any way Chicago lets him go for a lateral jump...

i think he has one year left

PFT, seems to think that if lovie wants to leave the bears would be up shit creek, so they mine as well get whatever they can for him, while they can. they think dallas would be willing to give up some picks to get him

MJZiggy
01-25-2007, 07:28 AM
So much for PFT...

Bears | L. Smith expected to sign a long-term extension after Super Bowl
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:17:24 -0800

Larry Mayer, of ChicagoBears.com, reports Chicago Bears president and CEO Ted Phillips said he expects head coach Lovie Smith to sign a long-term contract extension after the Super Bowl. The team has had preliminary discussions with Frank Bauer, Smith's agent. The two sides agreed to suspend talks until after the postseason. Phillips said, "The money's going to work itself out. I know everybody has their opinion. I read something in the paper the other day that we offered Lovie a contract for $3 million a year, which is a complete falsehood; it's not accurate. I'm not going to tell you what status we're at. I've talked to Frank Bauer. I've known Lovie's agent for a long time and I have no doubt we'll get a deal done."

red
01-25-2007, 09:08 AM
but a deals not done yet, and should have been done awhile back

if the cowboys job is still open, and if it is his dream job, then he might say he doesn't want a contract extension, and he wants out

it would be a ballsie movie, but it could happen