PDA

View Full Version : Steelers hire Tomlin

Rastak
01-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Good for him, I think he'll do quite well.....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/01/20/steelers.coach/

Mike Tomlin, defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings, has been chosen as the Pittsburgh Steelers' new head coach, SI.com has learned.

The official announcement will come either later Saturday or on Sunday.

Tomlin, 34, impressed the Steelers during the interview process with his organization skills, intelligence and grasp of the game, according to a source familiar with the coaching search.

He succeeds Bill Cowher, who resigned Jan. 5 after 15 seasons as the Steelers' coach.

Tomlin beat out Russ Grimm, 47, a Steelers assistant for six seasons and their assistant head coach for three, who had been considered the front-runner. The other finalist for the job was Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

Before joining the Vikings a year ago, Tomlin had spent five years as a defensive coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Before that, he was a college assistant at Cincinnati, Arkansas State, Memphis and Virginia Military Institute.

Tomlin will become only the third Steelers head coach in 38 years and the NFL's sixth African-American head coach.

HarveyWallbangers
01-20-2007, 03:06 PM
That could be a blow to the Vikings. I'm sure the Vikings will run the same scheme. Sometimes that works out. Sometimes it doesn't. The Packer optimist thought losing Jim Bates last year wouldn't hurt that much because they'd run the same scheme, but Sanders proved not to be as good as Bates--although statistically the defense probably wasn't much worse this year compared to 2005. When you look at turnovers force and sacks, the defense was better. When looking at yards, it was worse. The points agains stats were hurt by an offense that wasn't quite as good as usual and poor special teams coverage teams. Overall, the defense didn't play as well in 2005 for the Packers, but it probably wasn't a huge dropoff. Will be interesting to see how the Vikings respond.

I liked what I saw from Tomlin, but I'm surprised he got the job over Grimm. I thought he might have been a token interview.

MJZiggy
01-20-2007, 03:17 PM
I was hoping Rivera would get it.

Rastak
01-20-2007, 03:20 PM
I was hoping Rivera would get it.

So was I......I agree with Harvey, it's a blow....

ND72
01-20-2007, 03:23 PM
espn.com, and fox sports radio both have Tomlin dening he's been offered any job with the steelers.

Rastak
01-20-2007, 05:52 PM
espn.com, and fox sports radio both have Tomlin dening he's been offered any job with the steelers.

That works for me.....

esoxx
01-20-2007, 06:03 PM
This is good news for the Packers.

Rastak
01-20-2007, 06:22 PM

That ESPN and Sporting news are denying he's been hired....?

THAT'S bad news for the Pack..... :P

Rastak
01-20-2007, 06:23 PM
PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers have narrowed their wish list of candidates to replace Bill Cowher to three names -- Russ Grimm, Ron Rivera and Mike Tomlin -- but have not yet made a decision on their next head coach.

The Steelers declined Saturday to confirm they have chosen a coach to replace Cowher, who resigned less than a year after leading the team to its first Super Bowl victory in 26 years.

A report on Sports Illustrated's Web site, SI.com, on Saturday indicated that Tomlin had been chosen as the successor to Cowher, but the Vikings' defensive coordinator told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that no decision had been made.

"It is untrue," Tomlin said of the report. "I have no idea where it's coming from."

Sources also told ESPN.com's John Clayton that the report was incorrect, and the Steelers are not expected to make a decision until Monday at the earliest.

A person with knowledge of the search told The Associated Press that not only has the job not been offered but there have been no contract negotiations. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the Steelers do not want details of the search made public until they have made their choice.

When reached by AP, Steelers owner Dan Rooney had no comment. Team president Art Rooney II, leaving the team's practice complex Saturday, also said he had nothing to say.

"We have heard all the rumors, and we have nothing to confirm at this point," Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett added, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Tomlin and Grimm, the Steelers' offensive line coach and only remaining in-house candidate, both had their second interviews earlier this week. The Steelers can't talk to Rivera again until the Bears are eliminated from the playoffs. Chicago plays New Orleans in the NFC Championship Game on Sunday.

If the Bears win, the Steelers must decide whether they could afford to wait another two weeks to talk to Rivera, or if they should hire Tomlin or Grimm so they can start to reassemble their coaching staff and begin planning for the 2007 season. Rivera's first interview with the team went well and the Steelers have strongly hinted they would like to talk with him again.

The Steelers' diligence in finding Cowher's successor cost them offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, a move that leaves Grimm as the possible front-runner.

"We are pleased with the progress of our search to date,'' Art Rooney II said Monday in a statement issued by the team. "We now will move into the second interview phase and we are confident that each of the candidates on our short list will be excellent head coaches in the NFL. It is our task to determine which one is the best candidate for the Pittsburgh Steelers at this point in time.

"Our time frame remains as it was in the beginning. We will conclude the search when we have found the best coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers."

Whisenhunt, one of the NFL's top offensive coaches, took the Arizona Cardinals' job Sunday rather than waiting to see if he would be promoted by Pittsburgh. He will be officially introduced by the Cardinals at a news conference Tuesday.

While Whisenhunt was widely considered around the NFL to be Cowher's heir apparent, the Steelers gave no such indication after Cowher resigned Jan. 5. Also, they apparently didn't make a counteroffer to persuade Whisenhunt to stay.

Grimm also interviewed with the Cardinals, but unlike Whisenhunt, didn't get a second interview.

Tomlin had an excellent interview with the Steelers and, like Cowher in 1992, is an on-the-rise candidate despite being only 34 and having minimal experience as an NFL coordinator. Tomlin took over the Vikings' defense this season.

Hiring Grimm, however, would provide the Steelers continuity from one coaching regime to another and would allow them to keep most of their assistant coaches. All are under contract for next season, but a coach hired from outside the organization would likely want to choose his own staff.

Even if Grimm takes over, Whisenhunt's departure is expected to create some changes in the Steelers' offense.

Whisenhunt may take quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple with him as offensive coordinator, meaning the two coaches who have closely worked with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger the last three seasons would be gone.

The 47-year-old Grimm, a Pittsburgh-area native and former Pitt star, won three Super Bowls as a Redskins offensive lineman. He is a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and has clearly had the respect of the Steelers in his six seasons as an assistant. He was also a Redskins assistant from 1992-2000.

Rastak
01-20-2007, 08:31 PM
From PFT.com

TOMLIN HIRE STILL EXPECTED

Based on our dicussions with league and industry sources, we're now confident that, although Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin has said that he wasn't offered the head-coaching job with the Steelers, the team has indeed settled on Tomlin as the next head coach of the team.

Per one source, the hiring might now be delayed by virtue of Michael Silver's report that Tomlin had been chosen as the successor to Bill Cowher. But the thinking is that it still will happen.

And though we've been pushing Tomlin for the job since before he even was named by the Steelers as a candidate, we're thinking that his decision to speak on the record to ESPN's Chris Mortensen wasn't the wisest decision he's ever made. It would have been wiser for Tomlin to say nothing at all until he had a chance to investigate the situation on his own.

Lurker64
01-20-2007, 08:41 PM
The Vikings should hurry up and offer Tomlin their head coaching job to snag him before the Steelers do. Chilli can just concentrate on the offense then.

But in all seriousness, it looks like Tomlin is the best coach Minnesota has and if he's not gone this year he'll almost certainly be gone in the next two years.

Rastak
01-20-2007, 08:47 PM
The Vikings should hurry up and offer Tomlin their head coaching job to snag him before the Steelers do. Chilli can just concentrate on the offense then.

But in all seriousness, it looks like Tomlin is the best coach Minnesota has and if he's not gone this year he'll almost certainly be gone in the next two years.

I think he's gone. They can't cut ties with Chilly yet....it's very similar to when Dungy left and Denny Green stayed.......

ND72
01-20-2007, 09:39 PM
yeah, just saw it is "official"...that's really surprising to me....I know Tomlin is an "up and comer"...but to surpass someone like Rivera for a head coaching position is surprising to me. I honestly never heard of the guy until he was hired to be the DC for Minny.

MacCool606
01-20-2007, 09:52 PM
I used to be impressed by the number of Holmgren's Assistant coaches that made it to Head Coaching jobs. I think that the staff Dungy had in Tampa was as good or better. Off the top of my head I can think of:
Herm Edwards
Lovie Smith
Mike Tomlin
Marinelli? (Detroit HC)
Holmgrens guys were all due to the West Coast Offense, Dungy's guys are all due to the Tampa 2 Defense

HarveyWallbangers
01-20-2007, 10:14 PM
I used to be impressed by the number of Holmgren's Assistant coaches that made it to Head Coaching jobs. I think that the staff Dungy had in Tampa was as good or better. Off the top of my head I can think of:
Herm Edwards
Lovie Smith
Mike Tomlin
Marinelli? (Detroit HC)
Holmgrens guys were all due to the West Coast Offense, Dungy's guys are all due to the Tampa 2 Defense

I'd still take Andy Reid, Steve Mariucci, Mike Sherman, and Jon Gruden.

Bretsky
01-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Herm Edwards
Lovie Smith
Mike Tomlin
Marinelli? (Detroit HC)

I'd still take Andy Reid, Steve Mariucci, Mike Sherman, and Jon Gruden.

Completely agree; in fact I think the top 3 on that list are Holmgren, Gruden and Reid in no particular order

Lurker64
01-20-2007, 10:29 PM
Harsh blow for the Vikings. Tomlin seemed like the real deal. Apparently Pittsburgh thought so too.

Guiness
01-20-2007, 11:24 PM
From a purely selfish point of view, I'd rather see Tomlin go than Riviera. The Bears are screw ups, and will find a way to mess things up no matter what - they don't need any help. Minnesota has an outside chance of getting it right, so I'd rather see a blow dealt to them! :lol:

I wonder what happened with Wisehunt? Many thought he'd walk into that job, but it seems that wasn't going to happen. Obviously, if he thought he had a chance of getting the Pitt job, it's a much better situation than Arizona. I'm guessing Pitt management told him in confidence that he wasn't going to get it.

mraynrand
01-21-2007, 01:38 AM
Herm Edwards
Lovie Smith
Mike Tomlin
Marinelli? (Detroit HC)

I like that Mike sHerman Edwards guy too. My son (hint GD) calls him "Tony Dungy's evil twin"

BlueBrewer
01-21-2007, 07:38 AM
If the Vikings didn't have the Williams boys in the middle of that defense would Tomlin even get a look? I don't think so.

Fritz
01-21-2007, 09:24 AM
There seems to be considerable disagreement as to whether Tomlin is in fact going to be hired. I say we call up the Favres' maid service and ask them, since they were apparently the ones who gave us the inside scoop on another thread that Favre will be back.

Or maybe somebody should find out who shovels Tomlin's driveway, and ask them.

Rastak
01-21-2007, 09:49 AM
There seems to be considerable disagreement as to whether Tomlin is in fact going to be hired. I say we call up the Favres' maid service and ask them, since they were apparently the ones who gave us the inside scoop on another thread that Favre will be back.

Yea, those are good ideas Fritz. The Steelers said again today that a decision has not been made, however, where there is smoke there is fire. I think they've decided unless Rivera is outstanding in his interview it's Tomlin's job.
If the Bears win they may just hire Tomlin on Monday.

Scott Campbell
01-21-2007, 09:50 AM
You guys are ridiculous. The only one who knows for sure who the next Steeler coach will be is Donald Driver.

Lurker64
01-21-2007, 11:34 AM

You run the risk that Tomlin shovels his own driveway, since he apparently has no idea whether he's going to be the Steelers next coach.

Joemailman
01-21-2007, 07:47 PM
It's official: Tomlin is Steelers' new coach
Story Tools:
Print Email Blog This Subscribe
Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
Posted: 9 minutes ago

The Steelers have finally informed Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin that they have in fact chosen him as their next head coach, FOXSports.com has learned.

The two sides have agreed to terms on a multi-year deal that is believed to be comparable to the four-year, $10 million deal Cam Cameron reached with the Miami Dolphins.
The Steelers are expected to officially announce Tomlin as their coach Monday.

Tomlin was originally scheduled to fly to Mobile, Alabama for this week's Senior Bowl but was asked by Pittsburgh brass to not get on the plane.

Calls to Tomlin have not been returned but sources close to the coach said he expects to be able to work out the terms of the contract with the Steelers by this evening.

HarveyWallbangers
01-21-2007, 08:06 PM
He's an impressive coach. I don't think his defense was as great as some of the others, but they were much better than they've been in the past, and there was a noticeably bump in talent. He has an aura about him, and I'm betting he does a great job in Pittsburgh.

The two guys on the Packers staff that I was instantly impressed with from some of their interviews last offseason were Joe Philbin and Winston Moss. I think both did a good job showing me that my initial feelings were correct. I got the same feeling when watching interviews with Tomlin.

esoxx
01-21-2007, 08:24 PM

That ESPN and Sporting news are denying he's been hired....?

THAT'S bad news for the Pack..... :P

ah umm, as I was saying, this is good news for the Packers. 8)

Lurker64
01-22-2007, 08:31 AM
They're announcing it again after denying it yesterday. Cripes, this "Did the Steelers hire Tomlin" thing is like watching someone give birth.

Fritz
01-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Just saw it on the A.P. Tomlin is in.

Hey, can I be the first to mention Wade Phillips as a candidate for Queens' new defensive coordinator? Since Phillips gets mentioned for every job but never gets them, I wanted to be the first.

esoxx
01-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Bring back Emmit Thomas.

We're just trying to be helpful to our purple friends. :)

KYPack
01-24-2007, 08:14 AM
Ya know. The thing that was real cool about this hire was that Tomlin is African American. & the first time I realized he was Black was when I saw his picture.

This is a posiitive step. It shouldn't matter & it appears it didn't.

HarveyWallbangers
01-25-2007, 11:47 AM
Perry got the boot. Seems like he's done a pretty good job with their secondary. They don't have great talent, but they seem to play above it. Too bad we are keeping Shittenheimer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-steelers-perry&prov=ap&type=lgns

Perry quits as Steelers secondary coach

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Darren Perry, the Steelers' defensive secondary coach since 2003, resigned following a meeting with new coach Mike Tomlin.

Ray Horton, the assistant defensive backs coach the last three seasons under coach Bill Cowher, may remain on the staff.

Perry, a former Steelers safety, was an assistant defensive backfield coach in 2003, then took over as the defensive backs coach in 2004 with Horton as his assistant. Perry returned to Pittsburgh from the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., on Wednesday night after giving his resignation to Tomlin earlier in the day.

Perry starred at Penn State, then started at safety for seven consecutive seasons with Pittsburgh after being taken in the eighth round of the 1992 draft. He finished his career with the New Orleans Saints in 2000.

Tomlin said Dick LeBeau would remain as the defensive coordinator and Bruce Arians would be promoted from receivers coach to offensive coordinator.

Rastak
01-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Perry got the boot. Seems like he's done a pretty good job with their secondary. They don't have great talent, but they seem to play above it. Too bad we are keeping Shittenheimer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-steelers-perry&prov=ap&type=lgns

Perry quits as Steelers secondary coach

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Darren Perry, the Steelers' defensive secondary coach since 2003, resigned following a meeting with new coach Mike Tomlin.

Ray Horton, the assistant defensive backs coach the last three seasons under coach Bill Cowher, may remain on the staff.

Perry, a former Steelers safety, was an assistant defensive backfield coach in 2003, then took over as the defensive backs coach in 2004 with Horton as his assistant. Perry returned to Pittsburgh from the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., on Wednesday night after giving his resignation to Tomlin earlier in the day.

Perry starred at Penn State, then started at safety for seven consecutive seasons with Pittsburgh after being taken in the eighth round of the 1992 draft. He finished his career with the New Orleans Saints in 2000.

Tomlin said Dick LeBeau would remain as the defensive coordinator and Bruce Arians would be promoted from receivers coach to offensive coordinator.

I think Tomlin wants Vikings DB coach Woods so it would be a perfect trade.......