31 Indianapolis Quinn Pitcock
DT
Ohio State

Chicago Tank Tyler
DT
North Carolina State

PackerPro42
01-20-2007, 03:55 PM
Wow, that's not the greatest mock I've seen. Why would the Vikings take Peterson?

Lurker64
01-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Wow, that's not the greatest mock I've seen. Why would the Vikings take Peterson?

Because Childress is committed to being a running team and they need more than just Chester Taylor to make the offense work? It's not a ridiculous pick, Mn's biggest need is at WR but it's a deep draft at that position, and there's often a run on RBs much earlier in the draft than anticipated by draftniks. I would not be at all surprised if Lynch wasn't even there when the Packers were picking.

BallHawk
01-20-2007, 05:12 PM

Because Chester Taylor doesn't have what it takes to be a feature back in this league.

Joemailman
01-20-2007, 05:45 PM

The draft is more than 3 months away. Who knows what a great mock is? I discuss these things not because I think I know what will happen, but because I like talking football. I agree with those who think Minnesota might take Peterson. Chester Taylor is nothing special.

Charles Woodson
01-20-2007, 05:46 PM
well this is different

Charles Woodson
01-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Im happy with landry

Rastak
01-20-2007, 05:57 PM

Because Chester Taylor doesn't have what it takes to be a feature back in this league.

And what exactly brings you to that conclusion? He rushed for 1200 yards in 15 games including 1 or 2 when he was playing hurt. Shit, he was about the only bright spot on the offense the whole damn year. He ranked 5th in the NFC in rushing which means there were twelve backs WORSE this year.

And that pick does make sense to me because the Vikings DO need some dynamic playmakers and I think he'd be that.

BallHawk
01-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Wow, looking at Taylor's stats I didn't realize how good his numbers was. Nothing eye-popping, but definitely above average. I withdraw my "head-up-my-ass" comment.

Charles Woodson
01-20-2007, 06:11 PM
I dont know, with much other pressing needs for the queens, i pass on AP... Taylor isnt bad, i think finding a duo of Taylor and_____ would improve his stats much more but he on 304 carries fushed for 1214 with a 4 yard average and 6 touchdowns, 42 receptions with 288 yards... He didnt play against Detroit which would have boosted his stats... Idk i dont watch the queens very much but i dont think hes that bad

Rastak
01-20-2007, 06:20 PM
Wow, looking at Taylor's stats I didn't realize how good his numbers was. Nothing eye-popping, but definitely above average. I withdraw my "head-up-my-ass" comment.

He's not the greatest but he's pretty solid. Your comment wasn't that bad, I just think he's absolutely a legitimate feature back. He's not top 5 in the league or anything but he gets the job done.

Lurker64
01-20-2007, 06:22 PM
And what exactly brings you to that conclusion? He rushed for 1200 yards in 15 games including 1 or 2 when he was playing hurt. Shit, he was about the only bright spot on the offense the whole damn year. He ranked 5th in the NFC in rushing which means there were twelve backs WORSE this year.

And that pick does make sense to me because the Vikings DO need some dynamic playmakers and I think he'd be that.

Taylor was quite good last year, but he really seemed to slow down a lot towards the end of the season due to how tired and banged up he got due to all the touches he had. The pick makes a lot of sense not because "Chester Taylor doesn't have the stuff to be a featured back in this league" but because "A solid 1-2 punch would do a lot for Secret Squirrel's 'kickass offense'. Moreover the #2 RB position has become very important position in the NFL these days as teams have been very effective with solid tandems a la Barber/Jacobs, Taylor/Jones-Drew, McCallister/Bush, Dillon/Maroney, etc. To see what happens when a team relies too much on one elite RB to power the offense, see for example Seattle midseason and Washington's offense." At Oklahoma Peterson, I believe, was known for being able to run the ball "all day" and that seems like exactly what Chilli would want.

If Peterson's there at #7, I would say Minnesota would be silly to pass him up. It's a deep enough draft at WR that Mn doesn't necessarily need to take on in the first, and neither Gaines nor Adams is really impressive enough to convince the Vikings to give up on Udeze and James, both of whom were first round picks. If Tomlin is still the coordinator and he thinks that James can generate pressure, Udeze is probably sufficient because he plays the run pretty well. Trying to pressure the QB with only one good defensive end is like trying to box with one arm, so I'm not surprised Udeze struggled this year.

Rastak
01-20-2007, 06:26 PM

but because "A solid 1-2 punch would do a lot for Secret Squirrel's 'kickass offense'.

Please Lurker, you make me laugh and then cry all at once with that.....
:lol: :lol: :cry: :cry:
I agree with ya, but you're killing me!

Lurker64
01-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Please Lurker, you make me laugh and then cry all at once with that.....
:lol: :lol: :cry: :cry:
I agree with ya, but you're killing me!'

As a soundbite it's not quite up there with "They were who we thought they were" and the rest of Denny's rant, but it's pretty quotable nonetheless.

But seriously, the Vikes are in a good position in the first, since there's always more "guys graded to go in the top five" than there are "top five picks." So really, they get to just wait and see who drops into their lap.

red
01-21-2007, 01:03 PM
theres another guy i wouldn't be upset at all at the packers taking.

at #16 we can go a ton of different ways. we will have the ability to pick for need, AND get one for the best players available and someone who can step in and help right away

i am starting to like the idea of drafting lynch or another rb, and resign green and do the 2 headed rb approach. you keep both guys fresh, you prolong greens career by cutting down on the beatings he takes, and you help keep the young guy from getting beat up early on in his career by not making him carry 400 times a season

ND72
01-21-2007, 01:26 PM
theres another guy i wouldn't be upset at all at the packers taking.

at #16 we can go a ton of different ways. we will have the ability to pick for need, AND get one for the best players available and someone who can step in and help right away

i am starting to like the idea of drafting lynch or another rb, and resign green and do the 2 headed rb approach. you keep both guys fresh, you prolong greens career by cutting down on the beatings he takes, and you help keep the young guy from getting beat up early on in his career by not making him carry 400 times a season

I've been a fan of Lynch for along time, and the more I think about who I'd like to see GB take, the more I'd like to see them take Lynch. The fun part is...we're still 3 months away...hahaha.

Joemailman
01-23-2007, 08:54 AM
I agree with this report that Lynch will not be available at 16. Laron Landry would step in immediately at nickle or safety opposite Nick Collins. I like the fact that he seems to be a guy who has some instincts, and doesn't just rely on great speed. Here's his profile from NFLDraftCountdown:

LaRon Landry
Height: 6-2 | Weight: 202 | 40-Time: 4.50

Official Bio

Strengths:
Playmaker with a nose for the ball...Has excellent size...Great instincts, range and ball skills...Times and anticipates the action...Plays both the pass and the run with equal efficiency...Extremely smart and is a leader in the secondary...Has a ton of experience and was very productive throughout his career...A big hitter...Versatile and has played both safety spots and even cornerback...Tough and competitive.

Weaknesses:
Timed speed is only average and he is more quick than fast...Is not overly athletic or fluid...Will miss the occasional tackle while going for the big play...Still has room to develop physically...Will drop some balls...Lacks a burst to recover when beat.

Notes:
Brother Dawan is a former fifth round pick who starts at safety for the Baltimore Ravens but LaRon is a much better prospect than he was...Seriously considered coming out as a junior before ultimately deciding to go back to school...The total package and a great all-around football player who will remind some of Ed Reed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Career Statistics
Year GP TKL PBU INT YDS
2003 14 80 4 2 0
2004 12 92 6 4 51
2005 13 69 8 3 42
2006 13 74 4 3 58
Totals 52 315 22 12 151

Partial
01-23-2007, 09:18 AM

'cause the vikings have a solid OL and a very poor quarterback. They are going to be a two-headed monster and run run run like the wind.

HarveyWallbangers
01-23-2007, 09:38 AM

'cause the vikings have a solid OL and a very poor quarterback. They are going to be a two-headed monster and run run run like the wind.

Actually, their OL was below average this year. Birk was above average, but didn't play great. McKinnie is the most overrated OT in the league. Hutchinson was good. Their right side was below average.

SudsMcBucky
01-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Dear God, please don't make Joe Thomas get stuck in Detroit. He deserves a far better fate than that mess. I begging you, let him go to AZ. :cry:

Murphy37
01-23-2007, 12:22 PM

Your making a mockery of this mock draft you mocking bird.

mngolf19
01-23-2007, 12:27 PM
They will be a much better OL and RB and QB if they have any threats at all down the field. Everyone knew they had nothing for receivers, so they stacked the line and blitzed. Draft a few WRs or get through FA. But I don't think they will take an RB early.

HarveyWallbangers
01-23-2007, 01:03 PM
They will be a much better OL and RB and QB if they have any threats at all down the field. Everyone knew they had nothing for receivers, so they stacked the line and blitzed. Draft a few WRs or get through FA. But I don't think they will take an RB early.

That's just an excuse. Every team that has trouble throwing the ball gets the line stacked against them (that includes probably more than 1/2 the teams in the league) and every team gets blitzed on. Their OL didn't play well. That's the problem for the Vikings offense. They had leaks all over. It wasn't just the WRs. It was the WRs, QB, OL, and even TEs. Just fixing the WR problem won't fix this team completely. If Jackson starts next year, you can be sure they'll see a lot of 8 man fronts and blitzes. They better do a better job handling it if they want to do anything.

esoxx
01-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Vikings are in desperate need of a RT. Marcus Johnson showed himself to be a slug.

Rastak
01-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Vikings are in desperate need of a RT. Marcus Johnson showed himself to be a slug.

Yea, he didn't finish the year there either, Ryan Cook started the last two games. He wasn't anything special but he was a rookie so he should get better I would think.

esoxx
01-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Wasn't Cook a center in college? If so that's got to be a tough transition for him. Cook was a reach pick that was highly questioned. Someone in the Vikings brass at the time was in love with him. Better hope it wasn't Fran Foley.

BallHawk
01-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Dear God, please don't make Joe Thomas get stuck in Detroit. He deserves a far better fate than that mess. I begging you, let him go to AZ. :cry:

On the bright side, he'd be reunited with Brian Calhoun.