PDA

View Full Version : Remedy for another non-playoffs season

Anti-Polar Bear
04-22-2006, 07:05 PM
What should be done after the 06 season if Pack missed the playoffs again?

Scott Campbell
04-22-2006, 07:09 PM
I chose "other" only because your first 4 choices were ridiculous.

Joemailman
04-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Give both Thompson and McCarthy contract extensions. :razz:

Anti-Polar Bear
04-22-2006, 07:16 PM

yet, those first 4 choices are the right choices. If the Pack misses the playoffs again, it would show that Thompson is incapable of building a winner, and McCarthy is a born loser (what was the 49ers record again?).

Rastak
04-22-2006, 08:17 PM

yet, those first 4 choices are the right choices. If the Pack misses the playoffs again, it would show that Thompson is incapable of building a winner, and McCarthy is a born loser (what was the 49ers record again?).

Geez, don't hang the guy yet Tank.....you could at least let him fail first.

retailguy
04-22-2006, 08:21 PM
I'll choose "F". None of the above....

Let me be the last to break it to you, Tank. The Packers are NOT going to the playoffs, even if Brett comes back and JW comes back and makes it to the Pro Bowl. Ain't happening dude.

If all goes well, they'll be playing respectable football by the end of the year, and then will do well in 07. Ala Ravens, Patriots, and Rams. Each of those teams was beginning to "gel" the year before their super bowls. As I recall, only the ravens made the playoffs the season before they won it all...

Joemailman
04-22-2006, 08:25 PM

Let me be the last to break it to you, Tank. The Packers are NOT going to the playoffs, even if Brett comes back and JW comes back and makes it to the Pro Bowl. Ain't happening dude.

If all goes well, they'll be playing respectable football by the end of the year, and then will do well in 07. Ala Ravens, Patriots, and Rams. Each of those teams was beginning to "gel" the year before their super bowls. As I recall, only the ravens made the playoffs the season before they won it all...

Dont bring up "F" with Tank. He finally posted something without using the "F" word. :wink:

retailguy
04-22-2006, 08:28 PM
Dont bring up "F" with Tank. He finally posted something without using the "F" word. :wink:

Good one! :razz:

Anti-Polar Bear
04-22-2006, 08:45 PM
Geez, don't hang the guy yet Tank.....you could at least let him fail first.

Rastak, if Thompson and McCarthy were with the Vikings instead, i would be saying the same thing. Heck, I would hope Thompson remains as GM forever. In reality, Thompson is with the Pack and he is fucking up the Pack and Vikings, Lions, and Bears fans all love him. They all love McCarthy, too cos he has no background of winning.

Sherman is the guy fans of the other 3 North teams won't miss. Sherman knew what it takes to win the division, as is evident by his 3 titles as GM. Thompson, other the hand, knows what it takes to be a bottom dweller, as is evident by his 0-2 record against the bears, 0-2 record against the Vikes, and 1-1 record against detroit.

Give thompson time? Time for what? Time to distroy the Pack? When all is said and done, I guarantee Packers fans everywhere will regret the Polar Bear was GM.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-22-2006, 08:49 PM

That's the GM's fault. And the GM is Ted Thompson. So, imo, chosing F is like chosing A or B.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-22-2006, 08:51 PM

Too late... :mrgreen:

Anti-Polar Bear
04-22-2006, 08:51 PM
double post

retailguy
04-22-2006, 08:53 PM

That's the GM's fault. And the GM is Ted Thompson. So, imo, chosing F is like chosing A or B.

"Fault?" Nope, just a different philosophy. Sherm thought he could get there with a veteran team. Face it Tank, Sherm's team was getting old and his window was closing. The 03 team was MUCH better than the 04 team.

Thompson believes in building with young guys, Sherman with old guys. Both philosophies work, but not together.

We can't effectively judge TT, until AFTER the 07 season. Batten down the hatches, it's gonna be a while....

Anti-Polar Bear
04-22-2006, 09:07 PM

"Fault?" Nope, just a different philosophy. Sherm thought he could get there with a veteran team. Face it Tank, Sherm's team was getting old and his window was closing. The 03 team was MUCH better than the 04 team.

Thompson believes in building with young guys, Sherman with old guys. Both philosophies work, but not together.

We can't effectively judge TT, until AFTER the 07 season. Batten down the hatches, it's gonna be a while....

Actually, the way I see it, Sherman believed in keeping the Packers' core players intact and upgrading the team's weaknesses. Thompson believes in dismantling a playoff team and using the draft as an excuse for the inability to find upgrades in free agency.

Only an incompetent Polar Bear would rebuild the Packers before Favre retires. Only an incompetent Polar Bear would dismantle a top 3 offense. Only an incompetent Polar Bear would sign Arturo Freeman when he could have gotten Donovan Darius or Sharper. Only an incompetent Polar Bear would sign Klemm when he couldve gotten Wahle. Only an incompetent Polar Bear would hired a coach with no winning background. Only an incompetent Polar Bear would hibernate at the start of the free agency period with $35 mil to spend.

Ted Thompson is an incompetent Polar Bear.

The Shadow
04-22-2006, 09:10 PM
Kick tank in the butt for being a moron is the most satisfying option.

retailguy
04-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Actually, the way I see it, Sherman believed in keeping the Packers' core players intact and upgrading the team's weaknesses. Thompson believes dismantling a playoff team and using the draft as an excuse for the inability to find upgrades in free agency.

(all the Polar Bear stuff deleted....:lol: )

I agree, I just maintain that Sherman's focus to do this was with VETERANS. He didn't value draft choices by ANY standard. If he had valued them, he could have filled some holes with young guys, but he didn't.

TT is a polar (no pun intended, believe me) opposite from Mike Sherman. We'll see who is more successful, won't we?

Anti-Polar Bear
04-22-2006, 09:23 PM
I agree, I just maintain that Sherman's focus to do this was with VETERANS. He didn't value draft choices by ANY standard. If he had valued them, he could have filled some holes with young guys, but he didn't.

TT is a polar (no pun intended, believe me) opposite from Mike Sherman. We'll see who is more successful, won't we?

I think it is not that Sherman didnt value draft picks, it is that he always drafted for need. And drafting for need is what any GM in the NFL not named Thompson would do for a team that was not only competitive, but also trying to win another SB with Favre.

Again, rebuilding is just an excuse Thompson apologists like to use to avoid admitting that the Polar Bear f-ed up. You dont rebuild while Favre is still around. You dont rebuild while you still have a playoffs team.

b bulldog
04-22-2006, 09:28 PM
blah,blah,blah

b bulldog
04-22-2006, 09:29 PM
One who spends it like it's burning a hole in his pocket and one who can't part with any of it.

Scott Campbell
04-22-2006, 09:35 PM
Well the poll results are interesting anyway. In a goofed up kind of way.

b bulldog
04-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Another loooooooooooong season is awaiting us fans :mad:

retailguy
04-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Another loooooooooooong season is awaiting us fans :mad:

The last third of the season should be really enjoyable, if TT knows what he is doing.

Harlan Huckleby
04-22-2006, 10:54 PM
other - fire Sherman! Again, if necessary.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-22-2006, 11:01 PM
other - fire Sherman! Again, if necessary.

Sherman is still under the Pack's payroll so that's possible. Though it would be a mistake, like before.

Kiwon
04-23-2006, 03:40 AM
I'd like to see the poll question changed from a non-playoff season to another 4-12 season.

What should be done if the Packers finish 4-12 again minus the rash of injuries?

Anti-Polar Bear
04-23-2006, 09:41 AM
I'd like to see the poll question changed from a non-playoff season to another 4-12 season.

What should be done if the Packers finish 4-12 again minus the rash of injuries?

Kiwon, I think anything less than 10 wins is a disappointment. Sherman handed Thompson a 10 wins teams, so if Thompson can't match it he doesnt deserve the GM title. 4-12 already warrants the Polar Bear's dismissal. Problem is, Bob Harlan is retiring and seemly does not want to go out admitting a mistake; the mistake of hiring Thompson.

John Jones will take over next year and for the sake of the Packers, I sure hope he send Thompson packing.

Tarlam!
04-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Sherman knew what it takes to win the division, as is evident by his 3 titles as GM.

I don't know about anyone else, but, I don't get much of a kick out winning a division title. It means I played better than my 3 divisional rivals and offers me bragging right opposed to those fans. So what?

Sherman didn't know how to coach and win in the play-offs. His coaching in the games that mattered most was less than inspiring. Tank, you might be happy with winning records and mediocrity in the big games.

I wanna win a Super Bowl. Sherman was never gonna make that happen.

Packers4Ever
04-23-2006, 01:43 PM
[quote="retailguy"]I'll choose "F". None of the above....

Wow ! Pretty tough words MrRetail, can I assume your thoughts are cast in stone ??? :smile:

Judy

Anti-Polar Bear
04-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Sherman knew what it takes to win the division, as is evident by his 3 titles as GM.

I don't know about anyone else, but, I don't get much of a kick out winning a division title. It means I played better than my 3 divisional rivals and offers me bragging right opposed to those fans. So what?

Sherman didn't know how to coach and win in the play-offs. His coaching in the games that mattered most was less than inspiring. Tank, you might be happy with winning records and mediocrity in the big games.

I wanna win a Super Bowl. Sherman was never gonna make that happen.

tarlam, win the division=playoffs. Playoffs=shot at SB.

Seattle had LESS success than Green Bay prior to last season. In 2004, Green Bay's offense was better than Seattle's. In 2004, both Seattle and Green Bay's defenses were below par. In 2005, Seattle upgraded and lost in the Super Bowl.

Therefore, in conclusion, had Green Bay UPGRADED in 2005, they would have WON the Super Bowl.

retailguy
04-23-2006, 04:24 PM
tarlam, win the division=playoffs. Playoffs=shot at SB.

Seattle had LESS success than Green Bay prior to last season. In 2004, Green Bay's offense was better than Seattle's. In 2004, both Seattle and Green Bay's defenses were below par. In 2005, Seattle upgraded and lost in the Super Bowl.

Therefore, in conclusion, had Green Bay UPGRADED in 2005, they would have WON the Super Bowl.

I have NO alternative but to "cut you off the kool-aid" after that post. You are liable to seriously hurt some school children if you get behind the wheel.

It is "kool-aid anonymous" for you my friend.... Either that or a trip to see Dr. Phil.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-23-2006, 04:40 PM
I have NO alternative but to "cut you off the kool-aid" after that post. You are liable to seriously hurt some school children if you get behind the wheel.

It is "kool-aid anonymous" for you my friend.... Either that or a trip to see Dr. Phil.

What else can explain Seattle's raise from 9-7 to 13-3 and Green Bay's fall from 10-6 to 4-12 (even a healthy Packer team wouldnt be able to match Seattle 05 record due to the lack of talent; see, Detroit, week 1 for example)?

Answer: Seattle kept their offense intact, especially Shawn Alexander, who was a free agent last year, but was wisely tagged. MOST Importantly, they upgraded their DEFENSE; DEFENSE WINS CHAMPSIONSHIPS.

All the while, Thompson was hibernating; hibernating as Rome fell. Ted Thompson burned down Rome with hibernation.