PDA

View Full Version : Vista

Partial
01-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Any of you guys know if you can do the vista upgrade without reformating and thus losing all your personal files? You can with OS X, but I don't know if you can with windows.

Zool
01-22-2007, 07:20 AM
You can. It will save your Docs and Settings folder. You really should back that entire dir up before the upgrade, and if you store things in there you should back it up at least weekly.

Wait for SP1. XP was close to unusable for the first couple of months after release. Then SP1 came out and its been rock solid ever since.

SkinBasket
01-22-2007, 07:49 AM
If I was spending the cash to move to vista, I would get another HDD to install it to. Makes migrating files easier and if the shit hits the fan during install, there's really no danger.

GoPackGo
01-22-2007, 09:19 AM
What is new and improved with the vista OS? Will my pirated software that works on XP work on Vista, Like Photoshop, SoundForge, Acidpro, Intervideo dvd player, Nero burning software etc...?

Zool
01-22-2007, 09:48 AM
What is new and improved with the vista OS? Will my pirated software that works on XP work on Vista, Like Photoshop, SoundForge, Acidpro, Intervideo dvd player, Nero burning software etc...?Hard to say. As I said, wait 4 months for the first service pack. By then the early problems will be resolved.

The OS looks alot more like OSX. That seems to be the main difference.

Partial
01-22-2007, 04:19 PM
What is new and improved with the vista OS? Will my pirated software that works on XP work on Vista, Like Photoshop, SoundForge, Acidpro, Intervideo dvd player, Nero burning software etc...?Hard to say. As I said, wait 4 months for the first service pack. By then the early problems will be resolved.

The OS looks alot more like OSX. That seems to be the main difference.

It looks a lot like Aqua without the intelligent layout. OS 10.5 is supposed to have a new UI called Illuminous. It's going to be resolution indepedent and sassy.

Scott Campbell
01-23-2007, 11:31 PM
It's a 64 bit OS, but until applications are written to take advantage of that it's a non issue. Vista MCE is supposed to be more stable than MCE 2005. There's lots of onerous Digital Rights Management built into Vista to make sure you really own what you use. I don't really consider that much of a feature. It's supposed to be more secure than XP, but much of that is because they've put off SP3 while working on finishing up Vista.

I don't yet comprehend a compelling reason to switch.

chewy-bacca
01-24-2007, 02:29 PM
I don't yet comprehend a compelling reason to switch.

im in the same boat.

Its funny that they are offering a Bill Gates singed edt. of Vista. its all Fancy lookin. :lol:

Freak Out
01-24-2007, 05:31 PM
I've been using RC versions since they became available and I can say first hand that the many driver issues have yet to be resolved and I doubt they will be anytime soon. I use my windows machines at home for gaming and Vista will suck as a gaming platform until the hardware vendors (and Microsquish) get off the snide. There are also many networking anomalies that can make life a pain. Give it 6 - 12 months after release and things will get better.

I use XP pro on a gaming rig and MCE on my laptop and have not had a BSOD or any real problems for a longggggggggg time.

I bought my wife one of the new Macbooks last week and love the build quality and overall feel of it....but WTF is up with the "Airport" wireless networking? I have had NOTHING but problems getting it to hook up automatically with a Linksys router I have...that works fine with all my windows rigs by the way. I am an OSX novice still but the guide/wizard that they use makes you believe it will connect at login....and it never does. Partial?