PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl 41--First African-American coaches

oregonpackfan
01-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Some sportswriters have already noted that Super Bowl 41 will feature the first African-Americans ever to coach a team in the Super Bowl.

Though it is a milestone, hopefully our country will reach the level where issues of race/skin color are irrelevant.

By the way, both Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are class acts both on and off the field, IMO.

J-Rok
01-22-2007, 12:18 AM
While it's nice and all, I just can't see this as a story. I don't know. Maybe it'd have more of an impact if I had lived in more than two decades.

mraynrand
01-22-2007, 12:35 AM
Some sportswriters have already noted that Super Bowl 41 will feature the first African-Americans ever to coach a team in the Super Bowl.

Though it is a milestone, hopefully our country will reach the level where issues of race/skin color are irrelevant.

By the way, both Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are class acts both on and off the field, IMO.

As I understand it, there will also be a lot of black players, each and every one who earns more than me, playing in the game. Still, the owners are all white, meaning the league is racist, the United States is racist, and the U.S. is the most evil nation in world history. At least that's what moveon.org told me.

SkinBasket
01-22-2007, 07:53 AM

Doesn't celebrating it as a milestone defeat your goal of racial irrelevance?

Zool
01-22-2007, 08:01 AM

Doesn't celebrating it as a milestone defeat your goal of racial irrelevance?Thats always been my question.

Guiness
01-22-2007, 08:06 AM

Doesn't celebrating it as a milestone defeat your goal of racial irrelevance?

Great, I'm thinking like SB now. I won't be able to sleep tonight.

woodbuck27
01-22-2007, 08:08 AM
By the way, both Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are class acts both on and off the field, IMO. . . . . oregonpackfan

Yes. I am personally impressed with how cool both of these HC's are as they patrol the sidelines.

MJZiggy
01-22-2007, 08:11 AM
I'm thinking the more interesting story here is that the two of them are reportedly VERY good friends. It will be interesting to see how they gameplan against one another.

Lurker64
01-22-2007, 08:42 AM
One of my favorite parts of this is that now "Who was the first African-American head coach to coach in the superbowl?" is a trick question.

mraynrand
01-22-2007, 10:48 AM
One of my favorite parts of this is that now "Who was the first African-American head coach to coach in the superbowl?" is a trick question.

I know the answer: No one. As far as I know, there is no 'NFL Africa', and neither Lovie nor Tony are from Africa. At least I think both are Americans.

Here's a trivia question: Who was the first English-American president?

Another question: If my ancestry is 3/8 German and 2/8 Russian, am I a Russian-American or a German-American or a Germanorussian-American? Maybe I am just a Fucker-American.

MadtownPacker
01-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Im just glad a white coach aint gonna win it!!!!!!! :lol:

For reals though, if this is the main storyline for the SB then it just shows how much more the U.S. needs to go before we are all considered "equal".

Question - Has a latino or asian coach ever won the SB?

FritzDontBlitz
01-22-2007, 11:01 AM

wouldnt the technical answer to that be lovie smith, since his team won 4 hours before tony dungy's did?

MJZiggy
01-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Tom Flores for Oakland in SB XV.

MadtownPacker
01-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Tom Flores for Oakland in SB XV.Oh yeah, forgot about that guy. Was that made a big deal out of at the time?

MJZiggy
01-22-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm too young to remember that far back...

MadtownPacker
01-22-2007, 11:13 AM

wouldnt the technical answer to that be lovie smith, since his team won 4 hours before tony dungy's did?No cuz he hasnt technically "coached" in it until the kickoff so it has to be both.

FritzDontBlitz
01-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Tom Flores for Oakland in SB XV.Oh yeah, forgot about that guy. Was that made a big deal out of at the time?

i think it was mentioned somewhat.

to answer your comment earlier, i doubt if the color of the two coaches will be more than a footnote to the game, another stat to be compiled, digested and then regurgitated during the course of the game.

as an african american myself (by the way, i prefer to be called "black." not that i have a problem with the longer term, i am just too bad of a typist to keep terrorizing my fingers by trying to spell it) i am excited about the prospect of having black head coaches in the title game for the first time - and on the first sunday of black history month to boot - but i recognize the fact that the most you could hope for in these situations is that non-blacks would tend to view it like most would view an accomplishment by a friend: although it may not affect them diirectly, they are happy to see you achieve such a milestone anyway - as long as you don't wear out your welcome celebrating it.

MadtownPacker
01-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Damn FDB, I thought I was just talking to them whiteys on here.

I wonder if this is the first time in history that a Black Packer fan and a Latino Packer fan have talk, on a forum, on the Internet???? :P

wist43
01-22-2007, 11:34 AM
People of color are the ones that seem to work overtime on keeping the issue alive...

All I care about is Bears vs Colts...

Could care less about the color of someones skin... liberals live for this stuff though - and since they control the media and society in general, it will probably never go away.

FritzDontBlitz
01-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Damn FDB, I thought I was just talking to them whiteys on here.

I wonder if this is the first time in history that a Black Packer fan and a Latino Packer fan have talk, on a forum, on the Internet???? :P

hahahahahahaha

actually....

the first friend i ever made over the net was this latino guy who was the commish of the online pc football league i used to play in. he's from dallas and the league is still going strong, just finishing up its 13th season. i won the league title in the 3rd season, and you can guess which team i was using. dorsey levens was my workhorse and ground out over 2100 yards, while my washed up qb from kiln mississippi kept a 3 to 1 td/int ratio while i had him.

that reminds me. in my old pc football league brett favre played at least 17 seasons, could that be an omen for the real brett to return next year? :lol:

the commish was naturally a cowboys fan, and since we met in the late 90's he used to give all kinds of grief over their dominance of the pack....until dallas finally traveled to lambeau and got pasted 45-17 on the frozen tundra heeheehee....

MadtownPacker
01-22-2007, 11:55 AM
But he wasn't a Packer backer so we have made history!!!!!!!!!!

Good story though.

HarveyWallbangers
01-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Personally, I understand and respect the significance of the event. I have no problem with it being newsworthy. Both men are class acts to boot. Not to sound cheesy, but I have quite a few black friends and even some family members. The only problem I have is that a majority of the ones I know seem to stick up for other blacks--no matter the circumstances. I'm thinking of O.J. Simpson, Barry Bonds, Terrell Owens, Mike Tyson, Marion Barry, etc. It drives me batty. I understand where it's coming from--especially for the older people. A lot of blacks were unfairly ostracized or condemned in the past. I still think they need to get past that, and judge each person individually. Some of these people can't even remotely be defended at this point. Personally, I think it weakens their defense of other blacks. Ones that legitimately can be defended.

I also understand rooting for somebody for these types of reasons. If we were honest, we'd admit we all do it. Basketball is predominantly a black game nowadays, but many of my favorite players are white. Mainly because when a white player does well, it proves to a small degree that we can play the game also. That's not to say I don't have favorites that are black because I also like guys like Michael Redd, Elton Brand, Ray Allen, KG, etc. I like the way they carry themselves or how hard they work.

MadtownPacker
01-22-2007, 12:09 PM
I agree HW but at the same time I find myself being harder on my own race because of some of the same reasons you mentioned. No one likes to be dragged down.

I guess first black coach being a SuperBowl topic is good because it is a positive thing.

HarveyWallbangers
01-22-2007, 12:38 PM
I guess first black coach being a SuperBowl topic is good because it is a positive thing.

Next time, we probably won't have to hear anything. One of them is guaranteed to win.
:D

Doug Williams was a big conversation piece at the time. Steve McNair and Donovan McNabb weren't even a sidenote.

motife
01-22-2007, 05:30 PM
well... Lovie Smith is black. Tony Dungy could "pass" as they say.

As an official "all black" coaches Super Bowl, you'd prefer someone a little darker.

Samkon Gado vs. Christian Okoye would be better.

bearsfanforever
01-22-2007, 05:31 PM

I agree, everyone should only see Navy and Orange!!!

]{ilr]3
01-22-2007, 06:30 PM
I agree, everyone should only see Navy and Orange!!!

Wow, I think your post are just Super!

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/8470/bearsuperturd6ym.gif

Common everyone... Lets all give are special boy a big round of applause for his special post today! :roll:

]{ilr]3
01-22-2007, 06:48 PM
And the irony of my post is that I am making fun of a handicapped person in a thread about acceptance of others and there differences.

Sorry, OPF for letting a bear troll drag your thread to that level :(

Yes, I know I could go back an edit my post.... But common! Thats pretty funny :D

motife
01-22-2007, 08:58 PM
{ilr]3]And the irony of my post is that I am making fun of a handicapped person in a thread about acceptance of others and there differences.

Sorry, OPF for letting a bear troll drag your thread to that level :(

Yes, I know I could go back an edit my post.... But common! Thats pretty funny :D

yes, don't shoot the "messanger".

KYPack
01-22-2007, 09:00 PM

i think it was mentioned somewhat.

to answer your comment earlier, i doubt if the color of the two coaches will be more than a footnote to the game, another stat to be compiled, digested and then regurgitated during the course of the game.

as an african american myself (by the way, i prefer to be called "black." not that i have a problem with the longer term, i am just too bad of a typist to keep terrorizing my fingers by trying to spell it) i am excited about the prospect of having black head coaches in the title game for the first time - and on the first sunday of black history month to boot - but i recognize the fact that the most you could hope for in these situations is that non-blacks would tend to view it like most would view an accomplishment by a friend: although it may not affect them diirectly, they are happy to see you achieve such a milestone anyway - as long as you don't wear out your welcome celebrating it.

It was mentioned a little before the Super Bowl Flores won.

After the game, it was talked about more.

The biggest mention of Tom's "first Latino coach" milestone was when he was coaching the Seahawks.

Fritz, I think you are mistaken that the winning coach in SB 41 will be a footnote. It will be a big deal. Black history month caused a bunch of mentions of the first Black player in Pro Football this year. Doug Williams still gets some play for being the first Black QB to win.

The first Black coach to win the SB will get a LOT of play. He will deserve it, & given the guys that are up for the honor, he will be a class act.