PDA

View Full Version : Bill Parcells retires

motife
01-22-2007, 11:02 AM
just heard it on the radio...

the replacement should be very interesting...

Jerry Jones seems to have had enough of Chan Gailey's and Barry Switzer's.

He said the biggest mistake he ever made was firing Jimmy Johnson.

MadtownPacker
01-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Wow, this is a surprise. Did the Giants get a GM already? Heard Parcells was a candidate for the job.

MJZiggy
01-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Jerry Reese is the new Giants GM

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/story/2007/01/16/nfl-giants-reese.html

woodbuck27
01-22-2007, 11:08 AM
I was expecting to hear this news.

Coaching didn't seem to be a whole lot of fun for Bill Parcells this season.

The TO issue's, along with the Romo over Bledsoe decision and add in working for Jerry Jones, couldn't have been a barrel of laughs. :)

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-22-2007, 11:20 AM
I bet they keep T.O. now.

woodbuck27
01-22-2007, 11:22 AM
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/DAL/9947249

Parcells retiring after four seasons in Dallas

NFL.com wire reports

IRVING, Texas (Jan. 22, 2007) -- Bill Parcells retired from coaching Monday, leaving the Dallas Cowboys after four seasons and ending a stellar career that featured three Super Bowl appearances and two championships.

The announcement came 15 days after the Cowboys' season ended with a heartbreaking playoff loss in Seattle. He'd been at his office nearly every day since, and there were other indications that the 65-year-old coach was returning for a fifth year in Dallas and 20th as an NFL head coach.

"I am in good health and feel lucky to have been able to coach in the NFL for an extended period of time," he said in a statement.

"I leave the game and the NFL with nothing but good feelings and gratitude to all the players, coaches and other people that have assisted me in that regard."

motife
01-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Wade Phillips is being mentioned as a replacement.

Murphy37
01-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Wade Phillips would be a lame duck while Jerry waits to throw a shit load of money at Bill Cowher next year.

Sparkey
01-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Wade Phillips would be a lame duck while Jerry waits to throw a shit load of money at Bill Cowher next year.

Imagine that........ an Ex Steelers coach being named HC of the Cowboys.

If that were to happen, Cowher would have a price on his head in Pitt...lol

MacCool606
01-22-2007, 11:34 AM
At one time, there was alot of talk about Fischer going to Dal. Has Fischer been extended yet? If not he'd be available after next year too.

motife
01-22-2007, 11:58 AM
one thing they're mentioning, that Green Bay experienced firsthand, is what direction will Terry Glenn go?

Terry Glenn was NEVER effective unless Parcells was his coach.

When he was in Green Bay, after any routine catch, he'd wince in pain and come off the field.

MadtownPacker
01-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Yeah glenn was always a lil batch about it. I dont understand how he didnt get hurt on the dallas turf.

motife
01-22-2007, 12:02 PM
if it were between Wade Phillips and Mike Martz, I'd take Martz anyday.

I think Martz would do a tremendous job with T.O., Romo, Barber, Jones, etc.

Charlie Weiss would be fantastic, but his buyout is $21 million. Chump change for Jerry Jones.

Packnut
01-22-2007, 01:04 PM
If I'm Jones, I hire Rivera for one simple reason. They are well stocked on the offensive side. Rivera can turn that soft D around. There is a reason why the Bears are the best D EVER at the hit and strip method of tackling.

Rivera can then search for a solid OC and turn all his attention to the Dallas D.

Fritz
01-22-2007, 01:36 PM
I think Rivera will make a very good head coach. I hope it's not in Dallas.

Man, Wade Phillips gets mentioned for every head coaching job that comes up, from Arizona to Dallas to the Pee Wee leagues, but he never gets any of them. Is he still alive, even?

Packnut
01-22-2007, 02:22 PM
I think Rivera will make a very good head coach. I hope it's not in Dallas.

Man, Wade Phillips gets mentioned for every head coaching job that comes up, from Arizona to Dallas to the Pee Wee leagues, but he never gets any of them. Is he still alive, even?

Well, he'd have to get rid of T.O. first. With Owens on that team, any coach is doomed for failure.

BF4MVP
01-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Parcells retires...Is Favre next?! :shock:

Guiness
01-22-2007, 11:10 PM
I thought I remembered Phillips in Buffalo - my memory is that he stunk the joint up, but quick looks tells me he was 29-19 during his stay there. Maybe it was just his last year.

HarveyWallbangers
01-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Nice!

Cowboys: Owens pleased with Parcells decision

The News
Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens believes Bill Parcells' decision to step down as head coach was a good thing for the club. "I am just hoping his retirement brings promise to what the team has to offer. This past year was a big letdown. Hopefully, the owner will hire a coach to take the team to the next level," Owens told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "Sometimes change is good." He added that Parcells' style "hurt us" and that the coach was stuck in his old school ways. "I was underutilized in the offense," Owens explained. "A new coach can be good for the Cowboys. It's not just me. But my teammates know I could have done more."

Our View
Owens didn't even wait until Parcells was out the door to kick him. We're glad the receiver brought the discussion back around to him and his role in the offense because, really, it's only about Owens right now. Good luck finding a coach who wants to take on this headache, Mr. Jones.

Joemailman
01-23-2007, 03:42 PM
At one time, there was alot of talk about Fischer going to Dal. Has Fischer been extended yet? If not he'd be available after next year too.

Titans Say Cowboys Can't Speak With Fisher
Under 'No Circumastances' Could Dallas Talk to Coach
AP Sports
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Jan. 23) - Jeff Fisher is not a candidate to replace Bill Parcells as coach of the Dallas Cowboys .

The Tennessee Titans picked up the option on Fisher's contract for 2007 and team owner Bud Adams is working on a long-term deal with Fisher, who earned $5 million last year.

So despite speculation Cowboys owner Jerry Jones would go after Fisher, the Titans say no way.

"We haven't been contacted by Dallas," chief executive officer Steve Underwood said in a statement Tuesday. "In the event that we were, there are no circumstances that we would grant permission to the Cowboys to speak with coach Fisher."

With the resignation of Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh , Fisher is the NFL's longest- tenured coach with one team. He has spent 12 full seasons with the Titans, a tenure that started with six games in 1994 coaching the then-Houston Oilers.

Fisher has a 110-97 record. He helped guide quarterback Vince Young to the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year award and the Titans to an 8-8 record after an 0-5 start.

Fisher also is helping conduct interviews for the team's next general manager; Floyd Reese resigned on Jan. 5.

Even if Adams would allow Fisher to leave, Dallas likely would be the last team he would let steal away one of his coaches. Adams still lives in Houston, where his Oilers fought to attract attention away from the Cowboys in Texas before relocating to Tennessee in 1997.

BooHoo
01-25-2007, 09:40 AM
As a coach, I would never want to deal with a T.O. issue. Regardless of who gets hired, they will have to deal with a huge distraction unless T.O. is sent packing his bags.