PDA

View Full Version : Raiders Find Sucker--I mean Coach

MJZiggy
01-23-2007, 07:24 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2739645

After failing to land Southern California assistant head coach Steve Sarkisian, the Oakland Raiders and Lane Kiffin have completed the deal to hire the USC offensive coordinator as Oakland's head coach.

Kiffin signed the five-year deal to be Art Shell's replacement on Monday night, and a press conference to announce the signing is scheduled for 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday in Oakland.

Late last week, Kiffin was offered the offensive coordinator job under Sarkisian. But Sarkisian turned down Oakland's offer, and the Raiders were left scrambling.

On Sunday, Raiders owner Al Davis reached out again to Kiffin, son of Bucs defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin. Kiffin flew to Oakland Sunday night and spent all day Monday talking to Davis. As the evening approached, negotiations for a contract started and concluded quickly.

The 31-year-old Kiffin has been a six-year member of Pete Carroll's staff. Carroll hired him to coach tight ends in 2001 after Kiffin spent the 2000 season in Jacksonville as a defensive quality control coach working with defensive backs. Kiffin switched to coaching USC wide receivers in 2002. In 2004, Kiffin took over passing game coordinator duties. Kiffin was then promoted to offensive coordinator in 2005. He also had recruiting coordinator responsibilities.

Davis has a long history of hiring young, offensive-minded head coaches and he particularly likes offensive play-callers. Kiffin has done that at the highest level of college football for the past few years. He's worked with top NFL draft prospects such as wide receiver Dwayne Jarrett and former Lions first-round pick Mike Williams, another wideout.

Kiffen will become the youngest NFL head coach in the modern era. Jon Gruden, Mike Shanahan and John Madden all succeeded as Raiders head coaches in their 30s, however, as did Davis.

Kiffin is 14 months younger than Madden was when the Hall of Fame coach took over the Raiders in 1969. Davis was 33 years, 6 months when he took charge of the Raiders in 1963.

Kiffin, a former Fresno State quarterback, is younger than at least nine players who finished the season with Oakland during its NFL-worst 2-14 campaign, including defensive tackle Warren Sapp, fullback Zack Crockett and receiver Alvis Whitted.

As a player, Kiffin was a quarterback for Fresno State from 1994 to 1996. He was a three-sport high school star in Bloomington, Minn. He started his coaching career after college working as a grad assistant at Fresno State.

Kiffin is expected to keep Rob Ryan, who also interviewed for the job, as his defensive coordinator. Former Giants coach Jim Fassel and Chargers receivers coach James Lofton were also interviewed for the head job.

BallHawk
01-23-2007, 07:41 AM
How the mighty have fallen... :violin:

KYPack
01-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Rob Ryan should've gotten the job. He earned it.

How did the Raiders get this bad this quick?

The answer is Al, I know, but sheezus!

Partial
01-23-2007, 09:13 AM
They'll be back soon. Al Davis is old. They're not that bad. They had two very high draft picks not work out the way they would like. Having Gallery be adequate at best and not a franchise left tackle really sets them back. You have to hit on your draft picks. They have the talent it just isn't in the ballgame.

I would not be surprised to see them make a playoff run this year. You heard it here first. Unless they do that stupid Vick trade. Then they will be destined to fail for years.

Bretsky
01-23-2007, 09:48 AM
They'll be back soon. Al Davis is old. They're not that bad. They had two very high draft picks not work out the way they would like. Having Gallery be adequate at best and not a franchise left tackle really sets them back. You have to hit on your draft picks. They have the talent it just isn't in the ballgame.

I would not be surprised to see them make a playoff run this year. You heard it here first. Unless they do that stupid Vick trade. Then they will be destined to fail for years.

Playoffs ? I think you might be going off the deep end a bit here. :wink: The Raiders are not in the NFC North, they are in the same division as San Diego, Denver, and Kansas City..........all teams that are heads and heels better than them right now.

GBRulz
01-23-2007, 10:00 AM
The trend seems to be going towards youth vs. NFL coaching experience, doesn't it?

Partial
01-23-2007, 11:01 AM

Playoffs ? I think you might be going off the deep end a bit here. :wink: The Raiders are not in the NFC North, they are in the same division as San Diego, Denver, and Kansas City..........all teams that are heads and heels better than them right now.

San Diego is the only team better defensively. Denver and Kansas City are going to get old quick. They are an offense away from being a great team. They have plenty of cap room. I expect to see them improve big time.

Partial
01-23-2007, 11:01 AM
The trend seems to be going towards youth vs. NFL coaching experience, doesn't it?

Certainly seems that way.

BooHoo
01-23-2007, 02:28 PM
This decision seems like a reach.

oregonpackfan
01-23-2007, 10:21 PM
It seems to me that Al Davis was looking for a young man with minimal experience that will not stand up to him when he, as the owner, attempts to micro-manage the team.

I fear that Kiffin is being set up for failure by a vain owner who cannot give up control.

This is a lose-lose situation for Kiffin.

BF4MVP
01-23-2007, 10:53 PM
I hope he does well.

Joemailman
01-23-2007, 11:24 PM
I was shocked at the portion of the press conference on tv. Al Davis looked like he was ready to keel over, and Kiffin does not sound like a guy ready to run an NFL team. This could be real ugly.

Iron Mike
01-24-2007, 06:55 AM
Playoffs ?

Don't even talk to me about playoffs!

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/football/nfl/img6991253.jpg

MJZiggy
01-24-2007, 07:08 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking...

KYPack
01-24-2007, 10:10 AM
I was shocked at the portion of the press conference on tv. Al Davis looked like he was ready to keel over, and Kiffin does not sound like a guy ready to run an NFL team. This could be real ugly.

Kiffin is slightly nuts.

In his press conference, he talked about buying season tickets for his family "in the Black Hole". His kids are 3 mos and two years old!

Lane, have you taken leave of your senses?

Fritz
01-24-2007, 10:50 AM

Kiffin is slightly nuts.

In his press conference, he talked about buying season tickets for his family "in the Black Hole". His kids are 3 mos and two years old!

Lane, have you taken leave of your senses?

maybe he just wants to toughen the little bastards up. If that's the case, maybe he ought to make his whole team go sit up there.