PDA

View Full Version : Any Of You Ever Live In Kansas?

Partial
01-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Girlfriend might be moving to kansas in May for a year to work in a hospital before going to Physicians Assistant school ( either UW or Rosaline Something in Chicago most likely ) . Kind of bummed, but happy for her also.

I hear Kansas is really lame. Any thoughts on this matter?

red
01-23-2007, 10:07 AM
i've driven through the state once

it sucked, really bad

imagine the most boring flat land you could ever find. then multiply that by a thousand. then you're somewhere in the ballpark

theres just nothing there at all, you wonder why people other then farmers even live there

Joemailman
01-23-2007, 10:23 AM
I hear the tornado season can be pretty interesting.

red
01-23-2007, 10:24 AM
I hear the tornado season can be pretty interesting.

only if you wear red shoes

MadtownPacker
01-23-2007, 11:37 AM
I bet their are all kinds of horny ass dudes that are gonna try to get at a fine young thing like her. They will most liekly not be broke college students and will laugh their asses off when she tells them her man plays tennis, like kittens, and spends alot of time on a Packers forum. :twisted:

Just playing P, Im sure she loves you for "who you are"!!!

LMFAO!!!!!!!! :P

MJZiggy
01-23-2007, 11:39 AM
You are an evil, EVIL man!!

MadtownPacker
01-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Shut yo mouth, hija de tu pinche madre!!!!

Dont forget P, when the nerd is away, the honey will play!!!!!

My advice for you Master P? Get you a spare hina until she comes back. Hell if the new one is an upgrade you might just keep her instead.

DON'T CHASE EM, REPLACE EM!!

Zool
01-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Brutal....just brutal.

I've been through Kansas a few times. Its like if hell was a series of rolling hills. There's just nothing there.

GBRulz
01-23-2007, 04:22 PM
I can't see Wisconsin any more exciting than Kansas. :shock:

BallHawk
01-23-2007, 04:23 PM

We have major sports teams.

No, the Kansas City Royals don't count.

GBRulz
01-23-2007, 04:29 PM

well no kidding, they are in another state. Please tell me you knew that

Bretsky
01-23-2007, 04:55 PM

Do the Brewers ?

MJZiggy
01-23-2007, 05:07 PM
No, but the Packers do... 8)

BallHawk
01-23-2007, 05:25 PM

well no kidding, they are in another state. Please tell me you knew that

OMG, biggest brain fart ever!

That's what I get for playing Madden and typing at the same time.

BallHawk
01-23-2007, 05:26 PM

Do the Brewers ?

We're a playoff contender, so I guess we do.

Joemailman
01-23-2007, 05:37 PM

Apparently you've never been to the House On The Rock, or seen the world's largest loon in Mercer, or seen the Ice Castle in Eagle River or...

Freak Out
01-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Colorado is close.

I have been to Kansas a few times hunting with some hayseed friends who moved out of the State long ago but go back to see family and such. I am in love with the wilds and mountains of the north so Kansas is very different...but I loved some of the places I have been to there. There is a surprising amount of wildlife around if you know where and how to look.

The cost of living is next to nothing!

:D :D :D

GoPackGo
01-23-2007, 05:54 PM

I hope you are not serious

Summerfest? Alpine valley? Packers, Brewers, Bucks, Badgers? Deer hunting? Fishing? 4 seasons? Snowmobiling? Boating? do I need to go on?

Charles Woodson
01-23-2007, 06:22 PM
Dont forget P, when the nerd is away, the honey will play!!!!!

You mean like this?

:satan:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1699383945185315186

oregonpackfan
01-23-2007, 10:27 PM

Apparently you've never been to the House On The Rock, or seen the world's largest loon in Mercer, or seen the Ice Castle in Eagle River or...

Don't forget the world's largest Musky in Hayward or the World's annual Lumberjack Contest in Hayward!

CyclonePackFan
01-23-2007, 11:04 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, Partial.

Let me put it this way...

I've driven through Kansas on a couple of occasions. Drove through the first time I moved to Houston from Wisconsin. There's NOTHING. Go find a map of Kansas. See the road going from Topeka to Wichita? There's nothing there. One quick exit at Emporia, that's it. The bridges for cattle going over the road are marked to the thousandth decimal place (no mile markers, but bridge number 145.003) Only other possible stops are tiny gas station/McDonald combinations in the median so you can't get off the road. At one point there's a sign: NEXT EXIT 145 MILES (basically, get gas here or you're f*cked.) It also costs $9.00 to drive through the state if you use the toll, if you don't the interstate might be shut down for no reason (I'm not joking, it actually happened to me) and you have to find your way through backfield Kansas without detour signs. Ever since that first trip, I've deliberately added an hour to my trip by going down through Missouri from K.C. to Joplin and then through Oklahoma whenever possible.

I had to go through Kansas three more times this year on my way to games in Austin, Norman, and Manhattan. It's still as bad as I remember (I also have a great shot of my friend mooning the entire state of Kansas while I was driving.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the people are really nice. I just hate the state more than any other state in the Union.

Also... while I'm on a pissed-off anti-Kansas rant...

Rock, Chalk, suck my c*ck, Lawrence. FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU!!!! Brandon Rush is a prick.

So, what part of Kansas is she going to?

GBRulz
01-24-2007, 12:08 AM

Summerfest? Alpine valley? Packers, Brewers, Bucks, Badgers? Deer hunting? Fishing? 4 seasons? Snowmobiling? Boating? do I need to go on?

I was being facetious...sorta. It wouldn't be so bad if our winters weren't so long.

Partial
01-24-2007, 09:35 AM
Nothing is set in stone, not sure if she is going or not. I hope not, i'd be bummed, but you gotta do what you gotta do right. My faith leads me to believe that whatever is supposed to happen will, so I am not going to worry about it.

GoPackGo
01-24-2007, 09:42 AM

I was being facetious...sorta. It wouldn't be so bad if our winters weren't so long.
I knew you'd come around. 8)

MadtownPacker
01-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Nothing is set in stone, not sure if she is going or not. I hope not, i'd be bummed, but you gotta do what you gotta do right. My faith leads me to believe that whatever is supposed to happen will, so I am not going to worry about it.Cmon man, no female is worth getting all down and out over youngbuck!! For all you know you are gonna become a pimp and this is just destiny unfolding.

GoPackGo
01-24-2007, 11:45 AM
Nothing is set in stone, not sure if she is going or not. I hope not, i'd be bummed, but you gotta do what you gotta do right. My faith leads me to believe that whatever is supposed to happen will, so I am not going to worry about it.Cmon man, no female is worth getting all down and out over youngbuck!! For all you know you are gonna become a pimp and this is just destiny unfolding.

Yeah partial, Unless you want to marry this girl I would shrug it off and break the relationship until she comes back. If you are even a little unsure about her I would not attempt a long distance relationship.

Little Whiskey
01-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Don't forget the world's largest Musky in Hayward or the World's annual Lumberjack Contest in Hayward!

damn Oregon, you beat me to it....

kansas has got some great BBQ!!

not much of a winter, but they get some brutal ice storm in the winter, and tornado's in the summer.

if you think KS is a boring state to drive thru try Iowa!!! Interstate 80 thru IA has got to be the straightest road in the USA!! corn for as far as the eyes can see. on the up side, however that makes for some great hunting!!

MadtownPacker
01-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Listen to JPopp and lay the smackdown. Tell her you got chicas lined up waiting to get a piece of the Big P even if she doesnt go!!!

MadtownPacker
01-24-2007, 12:05 PM
kansas has got some great BBQ!!I thought Kansas City was known for its BBQ?

BTW - Partial is in Iowa.

Little Whiskey
01-24-2007, 12:07 PM

then he knows what i am talking about

Fosco33
01-25-2007, 09:46 PM
Girlfriend might be moving to kansas in May for a year to work in a hospital before going to Physicians Assistant school ( either UW or Rosaline Something in Chicago most likely ) . Kind of bummed, but happy for her also.

I worked at University of Kansas for a project last summer in KC. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food, bars and women. Don't be bummed.

Partial
01-25-2007, 10:31 PM
kansas has got some great BBQ!!I thought Kansas City was known for its BBQ?

I don't live in IOWA FOOL. WHO DO YOU THINK I AM?!@?#!

MadtownPacker
01-26-2007, 07:57 AM
I don't live in IOWA FOOL. WHO DO YOU THINK I AM?!@?#!I thought you are the ahole that works at Sears? You always mention it.

Then where the hell you live?

Zool
01-26-2007, 08:04 AM
I don't live in IOWA FOOL. WHO DO YOU THINK I AM?!@?#!I thought you are the ahole that works at Sears? You always mention it.

Then where the hell you live?Partial lives in the Eau C if I remember correctly.

Partial
01-26-2007, 09:58 AM

Then where the hell you live?

I do work in Iowa, I just don't live in Iowa!! At least you knew I worked at Sears. 8)

Partial
01-26-2007, 09:58 AM

Then where the hell you live?Partial lives in the Eau C if I remember correctly.

I live in Milwaukee. The L is silent.

the_idle_threat
01-27-2007, 04:10 AM
Long drives on the interstate are boring anywhere you go. Pretty lame to blame the state for that.

I lived in Eastern Iowa for 4 years whilst in college, and I enjoyed it immensely. Still have very good friends who live there, whom I try to visit when I can.

Yet the drive on I-80 from Iowa City to Des Moines is about as boring as boring can get. It's really no reflection on life in that state.

Some college friends and classmates were from Kansas, including one that we visited a couple of times after she transferred back to U of K. Had a great time while visiting Kansas as well, because we didn't spend all our time looking at it from the highway.

Little Whiskey
01-27-2007, 11:20 AM
idle, i have family on the western edge of iowa. i've traveled thru the state many times. it has to be one of the most boring drives in america. take that same drive thru Colorado, Maine, western WI, ect.... not all road trips are created equal.

by the way this has nothing to do with the people or cities in each state, i'm just talking about the "drive"

the_idle_threat
01-27-2007, 10:50 PM
idle, i have family on the western edge of iowa. i've traveled thru the state many times. it has to be one of the most boring drives in america. take that same drive thru Colorado, Maine, western WI, ect.... not all road trips are created equal.

by the way this has nothing to do with the people or cities in each state, i'm just talking about the "drive"

I think we agree more than disagree, LW. We agree that the drive through central Iowa is pretty boring. We agree that it has no bearing on whether it's a good place to live.

I was directing that comment at the general tenor of this thread, which seems to be that Kansas sucks because someone drove through it once, or more than once, and found it boring.

I contend that most long interstate rides in the midwest along I 70, I-80 or I-90 are boring to people who don't live in that area.

Eastern Colorado looks like this:
http://www.csc.uvic.ca/~sdaughe/UVicTrip/DSCN1063%20-%20Colorado%20I-70.JPG
http://www.csc.uvic.ca/~sdaughe/UVicTrip/DSCN1058%20-%20Colorado%20Speed%20Limit.JPG

Kansas:
http://www.csc.uvic.ca/~sdaughe/UVicTrip/DSCN1046%20-%20Kansas%20I-70.JPG

Nebraska:
http://www.okroads.com/051903/i80neexit369.JPG

Iowa:
http://www.redhummer.com/trips/2005-06-09_Iowa_I-80/images/iowa_i-80_016.jpg

Illinois:
http://www.okroads.com/052103/i88ilappi39_5mi.JPG

the_idle_threat
01-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Of course, the short drive on I-94 between Chicago and Milwaukee is not so boring, as we have such hilarious landmarks as these to keep it interesting:

Bong Recreation Area
http://pictures.sorotek.com/funny/bong-recreation-area.jpg

Mars Cheese Castle
http://homepage.mac.com/kisbundas/apple/apple-Images/44.jpg

Kenosha Military Museum
http://www.kenoshamilitarymuseum.com/img/vehicle2.jpg

And of course, the cryptic University of Lawsonomy ... I could find only this one crappy photo on the web:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/kamieshui/lawsonomy.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BallHawk
01-28-2007, 07:37 AM
I love cheese castle.

Iron Mike
01-28-2007, 09:36 AM

Three pages of thread and nobody thought to ask.........................

"and she can't find a hospital in Milwaukee to work at for a year???" :roll:

Partial
05-31-2007, 11:15 AM
Well, after 8 weekends of cleaning up after an older man who i've so appropriately nicknamed "dukes in his chair", Anna is moving down to Florida for 11 months next week.

She has a job working in a gynocologist's office ("The vagina factory") as a medical aid getting her direct patient care hours needed for physicians assistant school.

It is actually pretty nice because both Madison and UF are in the top 10 schools for that, so by staying in Florida 11 months, if she gets accepted to UF she can stay in town another month and get in-state tuition. If she gets into UW, she can come back here and get in-state tuition as well.

It kind of sucks in a sense, but I am very happy for her because weighing people and taking their blood pressure (as well as getting a reputable recommendation letter) is much better than showering dukes in his chair after he has earned his nickname.

It should work out pretty well because she is getting an apartment right in Gainesville down the street from her cousins and their family, so even though she won't know anyone off the bat, she'll have relatives nearby. Also, we're in the process of acquiring tickets to a few gator games for weekend trips down their. She is literally within 2 miles of the UF campus.

I am very hopeful that she enjoys florida and decides she wants to stay down there. I've mentioned many times that after college we should move somewhere warm because Wisconsin is just too damn cold. She always objects to down south because the air is much more acidic down there and her skin normally has an allergic reaction to it. Hopefully she adjusts quickly and doesn't have too many problems with rashes or anything like that.

Thats all I got. Oh, and Iron Mike, that is an excellent question. We tried to find a job in Milwaukee hospitals but most of them won't interview you unless you're already a trained CNA. She finally got that done last week, and began looking for a job right away in Milwaukee, when she found out about the great opportunity in Florida from her cousin.

MadtownPacker
05-31-2007, 11:22 AM
Dont forget all the great parties in Florida!

Too bad you'll be working at the store. :cry:

Partial
05-31-2007, 12:45 PM
Dont forget all the great parties in Florida!

Too bad you'll be working at the store. :cry:

18 bones an hour for a part time job is not bad at all. Why you gotta rip on the Sears?

On the other hand, the Annapimp is gonna find me an internship in Florida in software engineering for next summer. Disney hires lots of interns and that would be an exquisite job, albeit it is kind of far from Gainesville.

MadtownPacker
05-31-2007, 02:31 PM
On the other hand, the Annapimp is gonna find me an internship in Florida in software engineering for next summer. Disney hires lots of interns and that would be an exquisite job, albeit it is kind of far from Gainesville.
Hehehe, I love Sears!

Im gonna leave you alone about this young buck. I know it is gonna be a hard time for you. Trust me, I know.

BallHawk
05-31-2007, 03:10 PM
Florida isn't as great as it is cracked out to be. If you're 65+ and retired, it's great. However, if you're trying to start your life up, I would suggest you do it somewhere else.

MJZiggy
05-31-2007, 03:16 PM
It was fine for getting started, but I left when it came time to start raising kids. Actually, I think Gainesville might be better than further south and the coastal areas.

BallHawk
05-31-2007, 03:28 PM
You've got a point there, Zig. When I went through Gainesville I didn't think much of it, as a town. However, I don't know what the people are like. I must say, where I live, Naples, it's a pretty nice town. Nice restaurants, good stores, etc. The people, on the other hand, are horrible. Very rarely will you find a nice, decent couple/family. It's either their old, rich, poor, too busy, etc. We've lived here 6 years and we've only met two nice families and one of them ended up moving for the reason there weren't enough families. Hopefully, though, we'll end up selling the house and moving up to Virginia.

Charles Woodson
05-31-2007, 08:42 PM
You've got a point there, Zig. When I went through Gainesville I didn't think much of it, as a town. However, I don't know what the people are like. I must say, where I live, Naples, it's a pretty nice town. Nice restaurants, good stores, etc. The people, on the other hand, are horrible. Very rarely will you find a nice, decent couple/family. It's either their old, rich, poor, too busy, etc. We've lived here 6 years and we've only met two nice families and one of them ended up moving for the reason there weren't enough families. Hopefully, though, we'll end up selling the house and moving up to Virginia.

Miami is a great place to live, ive gone all over the country on vacations and such and there is maybe 2 other states i would consider living in besides florida, california and texas. The only bad thing about miami is all the cubans and such( no affence) of course i will give you that i live in a good area but yea, i love it everyone in my neghbor hood is nice and all the kids play and yea

Partial
06-10-2007, 01:07 AM
Well, tomorrow is the day of the big move. I am pretty bummed.

Partial
06-10-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm such a baby 'cause the dolphins make me cry!

MJZiggy
06-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Hell, at least it's kinda funny...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgV2XevwK4M

BallHawk
06-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Well, at least I might get out of Naples this summer. We're looking to move up to Maryland.

MJZiggy
06-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Where in Maryland? Anyplace fun?

BallHawk
06-10-2007, 08:35 PM
We're looking at the Columbia/Elicott City area.

MJZiggy
06-10-2007, 08:40 PM
I lived there for 6 months and know the area pretty well--not that far from me and still have friends there. PM me if you have any questions.

Partial
06-11-2007, 12:15 AM
That youtube link is great. Not only a tribute to the good ol' days of sportscenter, but an excellent music video.

I love that song and that video. Whatever happened to hooty?