PDA

View Full Version : Koren Robinson Plea

mngolf19
01-23-2007, 12:21 PM
ST. PETER - Former Minnesota Viking Koren Robinson entered a plea Monday on a felony charge of fleeing police in connection with a 12-mile, high-speed chase in August.
In exchange for the Alford plea, authorities dismissed seven lesser charges related to drunken driving, reckless driving and driving without a license, The Free Press reported in its Tuesday editions.

Robinson also agreed not to fight the forfeiture of the BMW 760 sedan he used on Aug. 15, when he led police from St. Peter to Mankato - sometimes exceeding speeds of over 120 mph, according to police.

Robinson, who is now with Green Bay, said he didn't know he was being chased until the pursuit ended.

"I was coming back from Minneapolis, trying to get to training camp,'' Robinson said. "It was a bad decision on my part. I was trying to get back to camp grounds to avoid the fine I was going to get for being late.''

An Alford plea allows someone to acknowledge that evidence in a case could result in a jury reaching a guilty verdict, but it doesn't require a person to admit guilt.

The charge carries a maximum penalty of three years in prison and a $5,000 fine. Robinson's attorney, Joe Tamburino, said he would argue for a lesser sentence.

Tamburino also asked that a sentencing hearing be held before Feb. 28, because that's when Robinson is scheduled to begin a 90-day jail sentence in Green Bay, Wis. That jail term was ordered because the high-speed chase in Mankato violated conditions of Robinson's probation from a separate drunken-driving case in Kirkland, Wash., last year.

After he signed with Green Bay, Robinson was suspended by the National Football League for violating its substance-abuse policy.

St. Peter is about 57 miles southwest of Minneapolis, and about 10 miles north of Mankato.

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/953665.html

red
01-23-2007, 12:26 PM
that doesn't look good

like i've said before, DO NOT count on him being on the team next year

i personaly think he'll be in prison next season, or suspended again by the nfl

Rastak
01-23-2007, 12:54 PM
that doesn't look good

Yea, anyone who essentially pleads guilty to a felony almost has to be penalized by the personal conduct policy. I would guess his prison time on this felony wouldn't amount to a whole lot but he'll most likely be given strict probation guidelines. We've seen how careful he is to abide by those.

Joemailman
01-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Are there any judges in the St. Peter area who are Packer fans? That might help.

Rastak
01-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Are there any judges in the St. Peter area who are Packer fans? That might help.

No, that's the Vikings training camp which brings in lots of money. I think they will throw the book at him. :shock:

Packnut
01-23-2007, 01:46 PM
that doesn't look good

It amazes me every time someone lists our WR's for next season and includes Robinson on the list. On the list of dumb moves made by TT, this one is second on my list.

esoxx
01-23-2007, 01:59 PM
I agree. At best, if he stays clean and non-suspended, he could be a fall-back position for the Packers if they have WR needs during the season, like they have the last few years.

No way you can count on the guy though or make any hard plans with him included.

BobDobbs
01-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Maybe the judge took the BMW as a thank you gift for a light sentence.

AV David
01-23-2007, 02:43 PM
The sentencing guidelines in Minnesota will not allow a prison sentence of any length. (KR would have to have 3 prior felonies before prison is an option) The guidelines sentence is 0-12 months in the county jail with up to 2 years probation. Most likely sentence is 60 to 90 days in jail with a 2 year probation after that. I've represented guys that burned down 2 million dollar buildings that only received 120 days in jail as long as they had no prior felonies.
Minnesota grants 1 day of good time sentence reduction for every 2 days served. So a 90 day sentence is really only 60 days served. I suspect that the real reason his attorney wants him sentenced before February 28 is so that the two sentences will be served at the same time. Thus, the 90 days served in Washington State will also satisfy a 90 day Minnesota sentence.

Pacopete4
01-23-2007, 02:56 PM
so what are you sayin AV David? that this situation is really not that bad and that he has a shot towards playin next year when his suspensions up? Cuz if thats the case, its nice and hopefully this time he has actually learned his lesson..

chewy-bacca
01-23-2007, 03:12 PM
I am going to love it when all the dust settles and he is back with GB 4 games into next season. He is Favres #1 target and making unreal grabs, just like he was this past year.

Packnut
01-23-2007, 03:49 PM
I am going to love it when all the dust settles and he is back with GB 4 games into next season. He is Favres #1 target and making unreal grabs, just like he was this past year.

Yeah, your right. All those mini camps, training camp and the pre-season games are a waste of time. KR need's none of that. He'll just come right back and be game ready.

Zool
01-23-2007, 03:59 PM
well if AV David is right, he will be out in April or May. If not, he could be gone for the year, and that might mean his career. Who can say.

BallHawk
01-23-2007, 04:22 PM
It's not the jail time I'm worried about, it's the suspension. Goodell has said he will not stand up to this kinda stuff, so I wouldn't be shocked about another year suspension.

GBRulz
01-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Of course I would like to see him back, but the guy will get what he deserves. I don't see how anyone could count him as a top WR for us next year anyhow, considering who knows when he'll be back and plus missing all TC, mini-camp, etc.

Joemailman
01-23-2007, 04:57 PM
that doesn't look good

It amazes me every time someone lists our WR's for next season and includes Robinson on the list. On the list of dumb moves made by TT, this one is second on my list.

I don't see how it's a dumb move by TT. There is no evidence that TT is counting on Robinson for next year. I expect TT to build a roster that can be competitive from day one. If K-Rob is available later, that's a bonus. If not, TT gave up nothing to get him, so nothing is lost.

BallHawk
01-23-2007, 05:33 PM
I agree with Joe. What did we have to lose with the move. Having Koren for a few games is better than having somebody like Zac Alcorn on the roster, is it not?

Pacopete4
01-23-2007, 05:56 PM
it was a great move by TT because we dont pay him unless he is actually playing, so how are we wasting anything? We got a lot outta his last year in the games he played and i expect the same after the suspension.. great move TT

MadtownPacker
01-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Yup, the Pack has nothing invested so they wont lose anything if it goes bad for KR. Hopefully the guy gets his head straight cuz after this he will never get another chance.

BooHoo
01-23-2007, 07:00 PM
I hope KR keeps his act together. I think he has good potential to contribute next year.

Packnut
01-23-2007, 10:07 PM
In 2004 he had 31 catches. In 2005 he had 22 receptions. I thought WR's are suppossed to IMPROVE with each season. I wish some of you guys would stick to reality and not wish-full thinking.

The ONLY value he has is a KR and I sure the hell hope TT does'nt wait until the 4th game of next season to address that position.

That's why it was a waste of time. Would'nt it be nice to discuss players who might actually help the Packers?

falco
01-23-2007, 10:20 PM

No, that's the Vikings training camp which brings in lots of money. I think they will throw the book at him. :shock:

Rastak, I tried telling you right from the beginning that he was going to end up in jail...but you just wouldn't listen to me!

Jimx29
01-23-2007, 10:45 PM
In 2004 he had 31 catches. In 2005 he had 22 receptions. I thought WR's are suppossed to IMPROVE with each season. I wish some of you guys would stick to reality and not wish-full thinking.

He had fumblina cullpecker for a qb.

nuff said :)

MadtownPacker
01-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Rastak, I tried telling you right from the beginning that he was going to end up in jail...but you just wouldn't listen to me!Please man, leave him alone!! You know how much he was hurt by the whole KR mess. We dont want to set him off again. :lol:

packrulz
01-24-2007, 04:59 AM
While the felony count carries a maximum penalty of three years in prison and a $5,000 fine, Robinson's attorney, Joe Tamburino, said he will ask the judge for a gross misdemeanor sentence, which would mean a maximum of a year in jail and a $3,000 fine. Prosecutor Paul Tanis agreed to remain silent on that issue during sentencing.

"The bottom line is it's totally up to the judge," Tamburino said Tuesday.

Robinson's sentencing was scheduled for Feb. 20. Tamburino had asked that it be before Feb. 28, when Robinson is due to begin a 90-day sentence in Green Bay. That jail term was ordered because the Minnesota chase violated conditions of Robinson's probation from a separate drunken-driving case in Kirkland, Wash., last year.

After he signed with the Packers, the NFL suspended Robinson for one year for violating its substance-abuse policy.

It sounds to me like he has a good lawyer since he got the DUI and 6 other charges dismissed and is only being charged with fleeing police. He's only suspended for a year by the NFL so I would hope after that expires he would get work release privliges so he can work out and practice.

Rastak
01-24-2007, 06:12 AM
While the felony count carries a maximum penalty of three years in prison and a $5,000 fine, Robinson's attorney, Joe Tamburino, said he will ask the judge for a gross misdemeanor sentence, which would mean a maximum of a year in jail and a $3,000 fine. Prosecutor Paul Tanis agreed to remain silent on that issue during sentencing.

Robinson's sentencing was scheduled for Feb. 20. Tamburino had asked that it be before Feb. 28, when Robinson is due to begin a 90-day sentence in Green Bay. That jail term was ordered because the Minnesota chase violated conditions of Robinson's probation from a separate drunken-driving case in Kirkland, Wash., last year.

After he signed with the Packers, the NFL suspended Robinson for one year for violating its substance-abuse policy.

It sounds to me like he has a good lawyer since he got the DUI and 6 other charges dismissed and is only being charged with fleeing police. He's only suspended for a year by the NFL so I would hope after that expires he would get work release privliges so he can work out and practice.

Don't ya think the NFL is going to be just a little bummed by the fact they have a brand new felon in their ranks? Hasn't the new commish been pretty hard on turdish players thius far in his short reign?

Rastak
01-24-2007, 06:15 AM
Rastak, I tried telling you right from the beginning that he was going to end up in jail...but you just wouldn't listen to me!Please man, leave him alone!! You know how much he was hurt by the whole KR mess. We dont want to set him off again. :lol:

Nah, I won't go off again....but my favortie part of Robinson's statement was that he didn't know he was being chased. What a liar. He was clocked a 102 or so I think and when the red lights went on he hit 120 and left the trooper in the dust. Sure Koren, I'm sure those two events weren't related, we believe you. The problem here is the guy STILL can't face the truth....he's really a sad case.

Iron Mike
01-24-2007, 06:49 AM
Hasn't the new commish been pretty hard on turdish players thus far in his short reign?

IDK......if this were true then how would the Bengals be able to even field a team??? :roll:

red
01-24-2007, 08:36 AM

i don't know. they almost plead guilty to the bigger felony count to get the 6 lesser misdemeaners dropped. why would the judge then let him bump the sentence down to the lesser crime?

doesn't make sense to me, but the legal system is a complete joke

Rastak
01-24-2007, 08:48 AM
Hasn't the new commish been pretty hard on turdish players thus far in his short reign?

IDK......if this were true then how would the Bengals be able to even field a team??? :roll:

No kidding...... :lol: