PDA

View Full Version : Beer at Lambeau

Kiwon
01-23-2007, 04:32 PM
This reader response to the Koren Robinson story at PackerNews.com caught my eye. This guy says that beer consumption at Packer games is getting out of control.

Is he accurate or is he exaggerating? I want to hear the PR perspective on this.

He writes.....

I'd vote for banning beer also at Lambeau.

Too often when I am there, so many people think that half the fun there is getting hammered. That's college punk stuff if you ask me. Grow up.

It's about the game.

Packer fans are not the brightest to begin with, let's be honest. But when you get 1/3 to 1/2 of the stands filled with drunks, it's actually embarassing to bring a child or wife to the game. Of course, there ARE plenty of drunk women too, stuffing themselves with pizza and cheese curds in between the beers. And they don't even know what a draw play is or a zone blitz..... embarassing. Shuffle the waiting list and get some new fans in there that want football, not beer.

HarveyWallbangers
01-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Nothing wrong with getting a little drunk (but not belligerent), but being into the game also. They are not mutually exclusive. That's the way I roll.

Personally, I have seen a lot of bad stuff. There's always a small percentage that had too much to drink, but I think most people have it down to a science now.
:D

CaptainKickass
01-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Sounds like someone needs to wipe the sand out of their vagina.

Freak Out
01-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Banning beer! At a professional football game! Stop it already. A question for all the Lambeau regulars…is violence common there during or after a game? Thought not.

GoPackGo
01-23-2007, 05:41 PM
This guy sounds like he's a recovered alcoholic and being around other people who are drinking makes him ornery

Joemailman
01-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Banning beer! At a professional football game! Stop it already. A question for all the Lambeau regulars…is violence common there during or after a game? Thought not.

My experience has been that fans do a pretty good job of pointing out troublemakers to security. I can't ever remember seeing an actual fight in the stands.

Iron Mike
01-23-2007, 06:03 PM
If that guy wants to give up his season tickets, he knows where to find me!!! 8)

packinpatland
01-23-2007, 06:12 PM
This guy has obviously never been to a Jets game at the Meadowlands. Makes Lambeau look like a teaparty.

The problem, as I see it, isn't so much the selling beer at the game, who can afford to get really drunk at those prices, but the amount drunk at the pregame tailgate parties.

Brando19
01-23-2007, 09:10 PM

My experience has been that fans do a pretty good job of pointing out troublemakers to security. I can't ever remember seeing an actual fight in the stands.

I actually saw a fight at the season opener. A Packer fan kicked the crap out of two Bears fans...security stopped it after about 10 seconds and threw them all out.

Brando19
01-23-2007, 09:12 PM
I don't know if alcohol was involved or natural hatred. :twisted:

ND72
01-23-2007, 09:42 PM
the last 3 Packer games I've been to, I've been around of just insanely wasted people, that were interested in being dumbasses, than the game. the last game I was at, Lions game, 3 people around me alone got taken out for drunken stupidness. NOW, I might be biased, because I don't drink...but even when I did drink, I never got to the point I see most people at during the game. There have been times, I felt more comfortable sitting by someone from the opposing team, than a Packers fan.

MJZiggy
01-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Remind me again...how much do people pay to get so drunk they won't remember the game in the morning (if they don't get thrown out)?

HarveyWallbangers
01-23-2007, 09:48 PM
the last 3 Packer games I've been to, I've been around of just insanely wasted people, that were interested in being dumbasses, than the game. the last game I was at, Lions game, 3 people around me alone got taken out for drunken stupidness. NOW, I might be biased, because I don't drink...but even when I did drink, I never got to the point I see most people at during the game. There have been times, I felt more comfortable sitting by someone from the opposing team, than a Packers fan.

Are you the guy that tells people to sit down when they are cheering also?

CaptainKickass
01-23-2007, 10:26 PM

At the risk of being redundant.....................

Zool
01-23-2007, 11:11 PM
I'll never understand the mentality that says 8-10 beers in the 2 hours prior to the game is a good idea. I watched a dude puking on the walk into the game. Its not Lambeau exclusive. I was at the dome for the game this year and someone was passed out in their chair by the second quarter after being a complete jackass for the entire first quarter.

Moderation people.

superfan
01-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Can't say I've witnessed that kind of behavior. But I tend to have at least a 6 pack in me by kickoff, so...

Seems like I'm always sitting next to the grizzled old guy who's had season tickets to every game for the last 30 years, takes up 1.5 seats, listens to the radio the entire game, and gripes about every single play.

My opinion is that if people are getting out of hand, get them out of there. Not selling beer at the games isn't an option, and performing sobriety tests at the gates isn't very feasible either.

GBRulz
01-24-2007, 12:19 AM
I have seen all kinds at Lambeau. Most of the drunks are just there having a good time and don't cause much of a disturbance.

Every week, the local paper posts the number of arrests at the game and on average, it's about 12 people, mostly for reasons coming from being intoxicated. Ok, 12 people out of 72,000 fans on average. Yeah, let's ban beer.

Pacopete4
01-24-2007, 01:18 AM
i love beer....

HarveyWallbangers
01-24-2007, 01:44 AM
it makes me a jolly good fella.

Rastak
01-24-2007, 06:17 AM

and sometimes it makes me feel mellow.

The captain kinda nailed the situation a few posts above......

ND72
01-24-2007, 08:15 AM

No...Are you the idiot that's so drunk he falls down 2 rows?

ND72
01-24-2007, 08:18 AM
I'm not saying don't sell beer, cause when I did drink, I loved a nice cold one. There's nothing wrong with it. I just seem to sit in the wrong section...and what I mean by "are you the idiot that is so drunk you fall down 2 rows"...is because it happend TWICE at the home Bears game this year.

GBRulz
01-24-2007, 09:28 AM

No...Are you the idiot that's so drunk he falls down 2 rows?

Actually, he does his falling down the night before :lol:

prsnfoto
01-24-2007, 09:31 AM
This subject really pisses me off a few have to ruin it for masses it is not the beer's fault it is consumed by a fucking idiot. I live in LaCrosse and this is a sore subject the fucking pig sow cops in this town are blaming every crime on the bars and alcohol every time someone falls in the river its the bars fault this weekend a girl was murdered by a guy and the first thing on the news was "they were last seen at the Helm" what the hell does that have to do with anything, he killed her because she liked Miller and he was a Bud guy? They are now giving tickets to bars because people that are picked up say they were at a bar without one ounce of proof three were given two weekends ago and one girl was found shoeless and soaking wet admitted she was at a keg party all day and thought she had a beer at BAR A, they got a ticket for overserving and don't know if they actually served her. Oh well there is a Bears fan that owns a bar I guess I will just get pissed up every weekend and get a WWI(walking while intoxicated) and blame it on him every time. :lol:

KYPack
01-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Whoaa, prsnfoto

That ain't a post, it's a revelation!

You feel pretty strongly about all this, eh?

Calm down, they'll never close all the bars in LaCrosse.

HarveyWallbangers
01-24-2007, 12:07 PM
I'm not saying don't sell beer, cause when I did drink, I loved a nice cold one. There's nothing wrong with it. I just seem to sit in the wrong section...and what I mean by "are you the idiot that is so drunk you fall down 2 rows"...is because it happend TWICE at the home Bears game this year.

Unless the guy fell on me, I wouldn't consider it a problem. In fact, I might get a chuckle out of it. Listen, nobody likes belligerent drunks, but I've been to a dozen games at Lambeau, and I don't see it as a major problem. Maybe it's because it's similar to my family reunions.

Like superfan, I usually have a 6 pack in me. I feel the affects, but I'm not hammered or a nuisance to others. I think a bigger problem is the old people that don't cheer and want everybody else to sit down and behave themselves. That's so friggin' annoying. I came 300 miles and spends several hundred dollars to watch my beloved Pack play once a year at Lambeau. I'm going to enjoy myself and cheer the team on. I don't swear. I don't get belligerent. But you can be damn sure I'm going to be cheering my @ss off.

Funniest drunk story I've had at Lambeau was these four Viking fans. They were borderline belligerent and extremely hammered. They decided that removing all of their clothes down to their underwear on a brutally cold day was a good idea. Now that was funny. Security was going to kick them out, but the Packer fans argued for them to stay and security let them stay with a warning.

MadtownPacker
01-24-2007, 12:45 PM
With all this talk of older folks telling the home fans not to cheer it is no wonder that home field advantage has been lost. I always wondered why other stadiums sound so loud on TV. I understand peoepl asking you to watch your language but volume should never be an issue.

Hell the @49ers game I went to in Dec was rocking with "Go Pack Go" chants. Might have even been louder then the Niner's fan!

HarveyWallbangers
01-24-2007, 02:12 PM
With all this talk of older folks telling the home fans not to cheer it is no wonder that home field advantage has been lost. I always wondered why other stadiums sound so loud on TV. I understand peoepl asking you to watch your language but volume should never be an issue.

Hell the @49ers game I went to in Dec was rocking with "Go Pack Go" chants. Might have even been louder then the Niner's fan!

Lambeau has great fan support, and people are into the game, but it's not one of the louder stadiums in the league. It's probably middle of the road. I've found that Packer fans on the road seem to cheer more.

chewy-bacca
01-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Sounds like someone needs to wipe the sand out of their vagina.

:lol:

http://www.colossusblog.com/mt/archives/images/cartman.JPG

prsnfoto
01-24-2007, 03:46 PM
[quote="KYPack"]Whoaa, prsnfoto

That ain't a post, it's a revelation!

You feel pretty strongly about all this, eh?

Calm down, they'll never close all the bars in LaCrosse.

Sorry I just think it is personal responsibility and they are trying to close all the bars they are not awarding anymore liquor licenses in the downtown area in 1970 there were 110 bars now there are 50, most people walk or take a cab if they close all the bars then people will have to drive to the suburbs thats how smart our law enforcement is in my town, but hey think of all the money they will make on DUI's. I personally have never had a problem at Lambeau and I usually sober up at the game its to expensive to drink at the stadium, course Stadium view isn't cheap either but it is a great atmoshpere.

Little Whiskey
01-24-2007, 04:38 PM

and sometimes it makes me feel mellow.

Whiskey's too rough, champagne costs too much, and vodka puts my mouth in gear.......

what do you think the pack and lambeau field makes off of beer sales??????.........thats why banning beer will never ever happen!!

ND72
01-24-2007, 05:56 PM
WEll I did have a good laugh at the first guy that fell..the 2nd guy did fall on me with a full big glass of beer...so yeah, wasnt' happy...then, to top it off, he took a good swing at the Bears fan sitting next to me, who of course was non to happy to get beer dropped on him either...so it was a fun time. BUT...I agree with whoever it was that wrote it about LA Crosse, they blow it out of proportion...and by the way, I still think it's a serial killer :D

GBRulz
01-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Even if everyone at Lambeau only bought one beer, they still make 1/2 million dollars. I don't think a beer ban will happen anytime soon.

KYPack
01-24-2007, 09:33 PM
Even if everyone at Lambeau only bought one beer, they still make 1/2 million dollars. I don't think a beer ban will happen anytime soon.

Waddya think the per game take is?

3-4 beers per person (given that some don't drink any)

So 2 - 3 million bucks a game?

HarveyWallbangers
01-24-2007, 09:46 PM
I don't think the average person gets 3 or 4. I think some might, but I don't think most do. I think most people drink beforehand (tailgating; when the price is a lot cheaper), and then maybe have a couple of beers in the stadium.

KYPack
01-25-2007, 03:31 PM
I don't think the average person gets 3 or 4. I think some might, but I don't think most do. I think most people drink beforehand (tailgating; when the price is a lot cheaper), and then maybe have a couple of beers in the stadium.

That's my MO.

I tailgate pretty good, then drink a few in the stadium, augmented by shots of Schnapps when the Packer score.

A normal consumption is tough at 6.50 a beer.

I'd say the average is a couple beers per customerm so the take is around a million.

Guiness
01-25-2007, 05:33 PM
Nothing wrong with getting a little drunk (but not belligerent), but being into the game also. They are not mutually exclusive. That's the way I roll.

Personally, I have seen a lot of bad stuff. There's always a small percentage that had too much to drink, but I think most people have it down to a science now.

Can you clarify HW. You HAVE seen a lot of bad stuff?

Just curious - how much is a beer at Lambeau now? I'm guessing it's north of $6. Problem is that people binge at the tailgating (as mentioned by a couple of people here) so they don't have to buy beer at the game. Personally, I think that if the price was lower, and reasonable (bar prices - $3.50-$4) people would pace themselves a bit and there'd be less trouble.

Obviously, there's no chance of beer sales being stopped at Lambeau.

Freak Out
01-25-2007, 05:40 PM
What kind of beer do they sell at Lambeau now? Is it run of the mill garbage or some good crafted stuff?
I love my beer......

Rastak
01-25-2007, 05:41 PM

I generally have 4 pints at Townhall Brewery near the metrodome and
that's it. MAYBE a Summit when I get there but no more.

Now when I was tailgating with those Bears fans I must have had about 14 beers total.......aye yi yi.......

Kind of like those No Mo, Harvey, Superfan, Jack get togethers....only a few more beers....LOL

HarveyWallbangers
01-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Can you clarify HW. You HAVE seen a lot of bad stuff?

Just curious - how much is a beer at Lambeau now? I'm guessing it's north of $6. Problem is that people binge at the tailgating (as mentioned by a couple of people here) so they don't have to buy beer at the game. Personally, I think that if the price was lower, and reasonable (bar prices - $3.50-$4) people would pace themselves a bit and there'd be less trouble.

Obviously, there's no chance of beer sales being stopped at Lambeau.

Not really. I think the average person is probably drunker than most other stadiums, but I think the people are nicer. I've seen a few that are too drunk just about anywhere I go. The only bad game that I saw, where it seemed like most in the crowd were drunk, is a game against Miami on Monday night a few years ago. Since it was a night game, I think people started tailgating too early.

I think beer is about $4-5 for bottles and $6 for mugs. Generally, slightly cheaper than other stadiums.

HarveyWallbangers
01-25-2007, 05:48 PM
I generally have 4 pints at Townhall Brewery near the metrodome and that's it. MAYBE a Summit when I get there but no more.

Now when I was tailgating with those Bears fans I must have had about 14 beers total.......aye yi yi.......

Kind of like those No Mo, Harvey, Superfan, Jack get togethers....only a few more beers....LOL

Good times. No Mo is a bullet.

Merlin
01-26-2007, 02:47 PM
I have been to numerous games and events both at Lambeau and the Dome. Drunks are drunks, it's their dime. Me personally, I prefer to tailgate my ass off then drink soda during the game. Doyle is already trying to ban smoking state-wide, with more talk like this, prohibition won't be far behind.

Doesn't anyone ever learn anything from banning things? The $1.25 cigarette tax is equivalent to the Boston tea party reaction and banning smoking is equivalent to prohibition.

I DON'T EVEN SMOKE!!!

ENOUGH OF BANNING ANYTHING TALK!!!

HarveyWallbangers
01-26-2007, 03:39 PM
I have been to numerous games and events both at Lambeau and the Dome. Drunks are drunks, it's their dime. Me personally, I prefer to tailgate my ass off then drink soda during the game. Doyle is already trying to ban smoking state-wide, with more talk like this, prohibition won't be far behind.

Doesn't anyone ever learn anything from banning things? The $1.25 cigarette tax is equivalent to the Boston tea party reaction and banning smoking is equivalent to prohibition.

I DON'T EVEN SMOKE!!!

ENOUGH OF BANNING ANYTHING TALK!!!

I agree with your rant. I don't smoke, but I don't even like the smoking bans in bars/restaurants. Those are private businesses, and I don't think the government should be mandating stuff like that.

Little Whiskey
01-26-2007, 04:30 PM
ya and why the hell should they tell me i can't have my assault rifle. its for hunting damn it!!! damn gov't screws everything up!

chuck is my president

:mrgreen:

Freak Out
01-26-2007, 04:38 PM
ya and why the hell should they tell me i can't have my assault rifle. its for hunting damn it!!! damn gov't screws everything up!

chuck is my president

:mrgreen:

Who took away your machine gun?

Little Whiskey
01-27-2007, 11:58 AM
They haven't taken it yet. they'll have to pry it from my cold limbs!!

just read an article in Field and Stream about a 50 cal hunting rifle. take shots 1500-2000 yards. might have to pick one of these up.

sorry for hijacking the thread

Rastak
01-27-2007, 12:43 PM
How about the David Bowe tune, "Running Gun Blues"

It seems the peacefuls stopped the war, left generals squashed and stifled, but I'll slip out again tonight cause they haven't taken back my rifle."

CaliforniaCheez
01-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Beer is not the problem.

People who are not stable on their feet create a safety hazard.

There is no excuse for public utterances of profanities or obscenities.

People yelling stupid statements spoil the enjoyment of others.

Persons who seek altercations with others should be thrown out.

The noise pollution of idiots to me is worse than tobacco pollution.

Banning mean, sullen, obnoxious people is more sensible than banning the alcohol. Those that can't handle themselves should lose their season tickets.

Cheesehead Craig
01-29-2007, 02:23 PM
Beer is not the problem.

Banning mean, sullen, obnoxious people is more sensible than banning the alcohol. Those that can't handle themselves should lose their season tickets.
But enough about Bears fans...

Merlin
01-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Beer is not the problem.

I just had pop go through my nose! I don't care who you are THAT was funny!
But enough about Bears fans...

CaptainKickass
01-29-2007, 03:21 PM
WARNING - THIS IS A "KICKASS" EDITIORIAL COMMENTARY.

ALL OPINIONS AND STATEMENTS DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF THE PACKERRATS ORGANIZATION. I HAD SOME TIME ON MY HANDS AND DECIDED TO RANT FOR MY OWN PERSONAL ENJOYMENT AND ENTERTAINMENT - BECAUSE I CAN.

Beer is not the problem.

Hmmm - lets break it down 1 by 1.

1.Beer is not the problem.

Agreed

2.People who are not stable on their feet create a safety hazard.

Just at Lambeau? Or in life in general? Using your logic: a small child who just learned to walk is a safety hazzard?

3.There is no excuse for public utterances of profanities or obscenities.

True - but there is a constitutional right to freedom of speech. Methinks you should be one of the people listening to the game on headphones while at the game. (I reserve the right to change my "methinks" statement later)

4. People yelling stupid statements spoil the enjoyment of others.

Dude - this IS part of the enjoyment of others. One of the great things about attending the game live is to get to yell, really loud, and be ridiculous if you so choose. There's also the enjoyment of laughing at others.

Doesn't it just make you feel even more superior to others to write that?

5.Persons who seek altercations with others should be thrown out.

Agreed - And for the most part, they are, unless some wussy doesn't even have the cajones to alert security.

6.The noise pollution of idiots to me is worse than tobacco pollution.

I got news for ya pal - there are far more "idiots" in the world than anything else. I detect a bit of repressed anger towards a big, mean, dumbass bully who beat you up and took your lunch money repeatedly.

7.Banning mean, sullen, obnoxious people is more sensible than banning the alcohol.

And who gets to be the one who decides when someone crosses the line into "mean, sullen and obnoxious"?? You? That'll be more work than a full time job.

8.Those that can't handle themselves should lose their season tickets.

Maybe those elitists that can't handle the general public, can't handle the fact that we as humans are animals and will frequently behave as such, can't handle being in close quarters where the testosterone level is very high, and to top it off - whine, bitch and snivel about it .......maybe.....just maybe......should choose just to watch the damn game from the comfort of there own little universe where they have a recliner in front of their TV and they are in complete "control" of everything surrounding them, including the "safety hazzards" instead of actually going to the game.

Maybe.

CaliforniaCheez
01-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Okay Captain fair enough.

I would not want some PC nimrod controlling public speech. I do think that there is some individual responsibility required.

I also requires someone to stand up and inform the offenders they are out of line before it gets so far out of hand that security has to deal with it.

I am all in favor of people working it out for themselves without some code of conduct or banning beer.

I and my fellow friendly drunks can do fine. The fools who cannot see beyond their own rights and recognize those of others are the problem.