PDA

View Full Version : from cliff's chat

sac2020
01-24-2007, 08:22 AM
Q: Rob of Tampa - Hi Cliff, I don't know if you have answered this question elsewhere: What was your reasoning for selecting Manning as NFL MVP on your ballot over Tomlinson or Brees?

A: Cliff Christl - I narrowed my choices to Manning, Tomlinson and Brady. I didn't consider Brees. I don't think he's in the same class as Manning and Brady. I might be in the minority, but I think Reggie Bush made the biggest difference on that team. Don't get me wrong. Brees made a big difference, but more so because the guy he replaced, Aaron Brooks, was terrible. I think the Saints had been a sleeping giant under Jim Haslett; they just didn't have a competent qb. Anyway, as I wrote in a weblog, I would have voted for Tomlinson if I had been guaranteed that the Chargers would win the Super Bowl. But I didn't know that, so I had to base my vote on the regular-season. My feeling was that if you took Manning from the Colts, they'd have finished somewhere between a 2-14 and a 0-16 team with Jim Sorgi at quarterback. The Chargers had other weapons and two outstanding defensive players. Plus, I think a quarterback can make a much bigger difference than a running back. And I think you've seen that in the playoffs. Tom Brady, not even playing his best, had a bigger impact than Tomlinson in the Patriots-Chargers playoff game. And Manning has carried the Colts to the Super Bowl. I don't know if there has ever been a team more reliant on one player and gotten this far in the playoffs ever. It's a game of stars and they make the difference. But Manning is unbelievable. I don't know if any other qb in the history of the game could have pulled off that comeback Sunday. I guess nobody has. Wasn't it the biggest comeback ever? And against Baltimore, Manning controlled that entire game against a great defense. His stats weren't great. But he controlled the clock. He controlled the tempo. And he produced enough points to win. I'm guessing most teams would have been shut out that day or, at least, completely shut down by the Ravens' defense. But Manning kept it off balance. I don't want to short-sell Tomlinson. He is a great player. But Manning is literally a one-man team. And the award is for "the most valuable player," not "most outstanding player." If I had been voting for most outstanding, I might have voted for Tomlinson.

Is it just me, or does Christl's logic in his argument seemed a bit flawed regarding Manning. I'm sure the 1 TD and 5 INT's he threw in the first 2 playoff games carried the Colts, not the defense. And the 5 field goals kicked by Vinatieri against the Ravens was secretly orchestrated by Manning as well.

MJZiggy
01-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Good point, sac.

Zool
01-24-2007, 09:05 AM
By that ridiculous logic, Frank Reich should have an NFL MVP award. The Bills were down 35-3 against the Oilers in the playoffs and Jim Kelly got hurt.

The MVP vote is supposed to be who is most valuable to their team in the regular season. I really don't like this guy. He even said it himself, with a different QB, the Saints were nothing. Manning is good, but he should be 3rd in votes.