PDA

View Full Version : Who really is running the show in Houston?

Patler
01-24-2007, 09:49 AM
With all the former Packers that have been brought in, it seems Sherman has had a strong influence on personnel decisions. Now there is another:

Jethro Franklin has been hired to coach the Texans' D-line. He was in GB from 2000-2004, before leaving for USC.

MJZiggy
01-24-2007, 09:57 AM
That's interesting. What did Franklin do under Sherman?

And while we're on the topic of Houston, Sherman and ex-Packers, do you have any word on how Samkon finished out the year and what they think of him there?

KYPack
01-24-2007, 10:13 AM
He ran for under 300 yards.

Sam had a solid game against Buffalo, a good team against the run. He is still seen as a propect by Houston. The Texans were pretty fired up about Ron Dayne, so Sam has to improve if he is to be the man down there.

Patler
01-24-2007, 10:21 AM

And while we're on the topic of Houston, Sherman and ex-Packers, do you have any word on how Samkon finished out the year and what they think of him there?

I think Franklin was considered a good coach, and a loss when he left for USC, although I was never sure why. The D-line didn't do much under him, but he didn't have all that much to work with, I guess.

Gado? A non-factor in Houston, passed by Ron Dayne in Houston's planning. Gado finished with 56 carries for 210 yards (3.8 avg) and 17 receptions for 85 yards. He did not play at all in the last 5 games, and was inactive for most of them. I do not hink he was injured, just no longer in their plans with Dane and Lundy ahead of him.

Chris Taylor played ahead of Gado in December, and had 28 carries the last two games for 123 yards.

Patler
01-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Decided to go down Houston's roster, and identify the players I recall having been with GB at one time. There may be more, but at least the following who are on the current roster for Houston spent some time in GB under Sherman:

Brad Bedell
Earl Cochran
Mike Flanagan
Samkon Gado
Atlas Herrrion
Jason Horton
Vonta Leach
Shantee Orr
Ben Steele
Chris White

There were a few others who came and went durring the season, too, like Nick Luchey, Roy Manning and maybe another one or two.

Fritz
01-24-2007, 10:47 AM

Fill in punch line here: ____________________________________________.

swede
01-24-2007, 12:04 PM

Fill in punch line here: ____________________________________________.

Q: How do they separate the men from the boys in Houston?

A: With a crowbar.

MadtownPacker
01-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Things will get real interesting for Sherm if the Texans get off to a slow start in 07.

mmmdk
01-24-2007, 12:20 PM
Shermy, Shermy...

BobDobbs
01-24-2007, 01:51 PM
I'm looking at the roster of former Packers and it looks like Sherman is up to his old habits again. He's filling the bottom of the roster with guys who have no upside and will do little to help the special teams. Good Luck Houston!

swede
01-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Decided to go down Houston's roster, and identify the players I recall having been with GB at one time. There may be more, but at least the following who are on the current roster for Houston spent some time in GB under Sherman:

Brad Bedell
Earl Cochran
Mike Flanagan
Samkon Gado
Atlas Herrrion
Jason Horton
Vonta Leach
Shantee Orr
Ben Steele
Chris White

There were a few others who came and went durring the season, too, like Nick Luchey, Roy Manning and maybe another one or two.

That's nearly 25% of their roster!

Is Sherman the de facto GM on that team?

Patler
01-24-2007, 02:44 PM

Brad Bedell
Earl Cochran
Mike Flanagan
Samkon Gado
Atlas Herrrion
Jason Horton
Vonta Leach
Shantee Orr
Ben Steele
Chris White

That's nearly 25% of their roster!

Is Sherman the de facto GM on that team?

Off season they can carry as many as they want until the start of training camps, when they have to be at 82, (I think) maximum. Right now the Texans have 75 listed on their roster.

GoPackGo
01-24-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm looking at the roster of former Packers and it looks like Sherman is up to his old habits again. He's filling the bottom of the roster with guys who have no upside and will do little to help the special teams. Good Luck Houston!

so true