PDA

View Full Version : SB Team Rankings

Packnut
01-24-2007, 12:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=super/rankings/80-61

Some interesting picks. Our 96 team is ranked about right in my opinion. However, no way the 66 team should be at 22. That 66 team could beat at least 6 or 7 teams ranked ahead of them. Got no problem with that Niner's team at #1. They were awsome!

HarveyWallbangers
01-24-2007, 12:29 PM
#22 seems a tad low. I think most of the Lombardi guys feel the '62 team was the best. Too bad they didn't play a Super Bowl then because they might be ranked #1.

I'm glad they recognized the '96 team for being a great team. NFL Channel did a similar countdown. I think the '66 team was on the edge of the top 10 and the '96 team was like in the mid to low teens.

From JSO:

Coach: Lombardi

Record: 13-1 (1-0 in post-season)

Hall of Fame players: Adderley, Davis, Gregg, Hornung, Jordan, Nitschke, Ringo, Starr, Taylor, Wood.

Key statistics: The Packers scored 415 points, more than any other team in the league, and allowed 148, the fewest of any team. . . . Starr led the league in passing and Taylor led it in rushing and scoring.

Championship game: Played on a raw, windy afternoon in Yankee Stadium -- the temperature was 13 degrees and winds were blowing at 40 mph -- the Packers won a defensive struggle over the New York Giants, 16-7. Jerry Kramer kicked three field goals and Taylor set a playoff record with 31 carries for 85 yards.

A story worth retelling: The 1962 Packers may have been the best of Lombardi's teams, but their only defeat may have been the most embarrassing loss of the Lombardi era. On Thanksgiving day, Starr was thrown for 83 yards in losses and was tackled in the end zone for a safety as the Packers lost to Detroit, 26-14. The Packers also were lucky to beat the Lions, who finished 11-3, in their first meeting. They won, 9-7, on a field goal by Hornung with 33 seconds left after a 40-yard interception return by Adderley.

Packnut
01-24-2007, 12:53 PM
#22 seems a tad low. I think most of the Lombardi guys feel the '62 team was the best. Too bad they didn't play a Super Bowl then because they might be ranked #1.

I'm glad they recognized the '96 team for being a great team. NFL Channel did a similar countdown. I think the '66 team was on the edge of the top 10 and the '96 team was like in the mid to low teens.

From JSO:

Coach: Lombardi

Record: 13-1 (1-0 in post-season)

Hall of Fame players: Adderley, Davis, Gregg, Hornung, Jordan, Nitschke, Ringo, Starr, Taylor, Wood.

Key statistics: The Packers scored 415 points, more than any other team in the league, and allowed 148, the fewest of any team. . . . Starr led the league in passing and Taylor led it in rushing and scoring.

Championship game: Played on a raw, windy afternoon in Yankee Stadium -- the temperature was 13 degrees and winds were blowing at 40 mph -- the Packers won a defensive struggle over the New York Giants, 16-7. Jerry Kramer kicked three field goals and Taylor set a playoff record with 31 carries for 85 yards.

A story worth retelling: The 1962 Packers may have been the best of Lombardi's teams, but their only defeat may have been the most embarrassing loss of the Lombardi era. On Thanksgiving day, Starr was thrown for 83 yards in losses and was tackled in the end zone for a safety as the Packers lost to Detroit, 26-14. The Packers also were lucky to beat the Lions, who finished 11-3, in their first meeting. They won, 9-7, on a field goal by Hornung with 33 seconds left after a 40-yard interception return by Adderley.

Gotta wonder how the 96 team would have been without the injury to Brooks. They were just destroying teams when healthy. On offense, they were just as good if not better than that #1 ranked 49'ers team.

prsnfoto
01-24-2007, 04:57 PM
I don't disagree with the niners ranking but I actually think that 96 team is number 2 fuck the Bears fans we were #1 in three out of four rankings and faced a .508 schedule with nobody at a skilled position gaining a 1000 yards. The teddies on the other hand had Payton and faced a .367 really tough opponent schedule no wonder everyone thought their defense was so good I'm not buying it. :P

Packnut
01-24-2007, 07:00 PM
I don't disagree with the niners ranking but I actually think that 96 team is number 2 fuck the Bears fans we were #1 in three out of four rankings and faced a .508 schedule with nobody at a skilled position gaining a 1000 yards. The teddies on the other hand had Payton and faced a .367 really tough opponent schedule no wonder everyone thought their defense was so good I'm not buying it. :P

That 96 offense when healthy would have torn that 85 Bears a new one. No doubt in my mind at all about that and it's not the Packer kool-aid talking either. The Bears would have had no answer for that 2 tight-end set.

KYPack
01-24-2007, 09:41 PM

That 96 offense when healthy would have torn that 85 Bears a new one. No doubt in my mind at all about that and it's not the Packer kool-aid talking either. The Bears would have had no answer for that 2 tight-end set.

I have often thought the same thing, pal.

Against the 46, Holmy would have run the two tight end set with two wides.

And he would've thrown on it every time they ran it.

Singletary and Duerson would still be trying to run down Keith Jackson's ass!

Packnut
01-25-2007, 10:05 AM

I have often thought the same thing, pal.

Against the 46, Holmy would have run the two tight end set with two wides.

And he would've thrown on it every time they ran it.

Singletary and Duerson would still be trying to run down Keith Jackson's ass!

Would'nt that have been something to see? Jackson running right down the middle wide open. I was just watching a few games from that year on tape the other day. It just goes to show how much a good TE and 2 solid WR's can mean to an offense.