PDA

View Full Version : Packer Draft

The Shadow
01-24-2007, 04:11 PM
My opinion :

With this year's #1 pick, the Packers should be looking at the best player from one of the following groups (ranked in no particular order) :
- cornerback
- def. tackle
- running back
- wide receiver

Yes, the Packers could def. use help in other areas too, but the closest chance at an impact player would benefit the team most here.
Other areas, later rounds:
- tight end, safety, o-line depth, another corner.
Having at least one of these players double as a quality returner is important, also.

Joemailman
01-24-2007, 04:41 PM
I mostly agree except that I would rate safety ahead of DT. I think the best DT's will be gone by the time the Packers pick, but that may not be the case at Safety.

HarveyWallbangers
01-24-2007, 04:45 PM
I'd agree, and I'd lump DT and DE together. If we can get a DT or DE that we think will be real difference maker, then draft one. However, we have enough solid players at DT that we probably don't need to waste a pick on what might be available to us.

Bretsky
01-24-2007, 06:29 PM
I don't think there is a star TE this year

But if there is I would not shy away from him either.

Freak Out
01-24-2007, 06:39 PM
I think a Safety/CB should be our defensive priority unless one of the monster DTs falls. Take a LB somewhere.

On offense I would have to agree with the RB, WR take....

TT, please take a QB in the later rounds as well.

If you had your choice of WRs to take with our #1 who would you take?

red
01-24-2007, 06:39 PM
we need a safety, and a DE, before we need another DT

i think we're in good shape at DT to tell the truth. we have good starting talent, and some solid backups. and if we can get a solid DE, jenkins can go back to DT

Bretsky
01-24-2007, 06:45 PM

i think we're in good shape at DT to tell the truth. we have good starting talent, and some solid backups. and if we can get a solid DE, jenkins can go back to DT

I'm not sure Jenkins best positions is DT anymore; he looked like the real deal at End

red
01-24-2007, 06:50 PM

I'm not sure Jenkins best positions is DT anymore; he looked like the real deal at End

i really wish they would have made the move a lot sooner then they did

as of now, we might have to throw away huge money for the guy, all based on a couple games at DE

was what we saw, really the real deal? or was it just a guy getting up for a couple games?

i'd hate to see us give him a huge long contract only to never have him play like that again

Partial
01-24-2007, 07:04 PM

as of now, we might have to throw away huge money for the guy, all based on a couple games at DE

was what we saw, really the real deal? or was it just a guy getting up for a couple games?

i'd hate to see us give him a huge long contract only to never have him play like that again

roster bonuses instead of signing bonuses.

Lurker64
01-24-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm in favor of taking the best player available, no matter what position he plays. If we can get an impact player at any position, we take him.

Still, I'd be happiest with a safety Reggie Nelson or Laron Landry in the first.

Packnut
01-24-2007, 07:14 PM

red- I believe your talking about the KGB syndrome. :lol:

red
01-24-2007, 07:16 PM
kgb had a couple good years

i have the c-hunt fear, sounds like an std

which is even worse

SD GB fan
01-24-2007, 07:46 PM
defensive backs is our weakness on defense. we need another playmaking safety. and our cornerbacks cant play forever (30 and 32 years old). but i believe this is a deep draft class for dbs so im not sure if we shud take one in the first round unless he is something stellar and can take the starting job from one day.

we need help at WR but first round WRs dont convince me. i wud rather have jennings continue to grow and draft a WR#3 in the mid rounds. i guess the same could be said with cornerbacks. draft someone or have blackmon progress as the nickel.

i wudnt mind a runningback in the first round, they can make immediate impact. even nonstarters like moreny, addai, maurice jones drew, deangello williams, the guy for ATL, and of course reggie bush all made impact on the field. but i also hear ppl say that we dont need RBs cos we use the ZBS. iunno how well the oline are playing in the scheme but RB talent is still talent and it makes a difference. its the difference between do-your-job 1000 yard rushers and respect for the running game on every down.

SD GB fan
01-24-2007, 07:50 PM
double post

BallHawk
01-24-2007, 08:17 PM
kgb had a couple good years

i have the c-hunt fear, sounds like an std

which is even worse

Jamal Reynolds was a nightmare, as well.

If I were TT I would trade down unless there is a player there that is really something special. 2007 is a deep draft, but not a spectacular one, later in the 1st round, talent wise. Maybe we were spoiled by last year's draft, but this draft doesn't look spectacular unless your drafting top ten. If we could trade our #1 and pick up a couple day 1 picks I'd be satisfied.

Patler
01-24-2007, 08:52 PM

GB doesn't need to throw big money or a long term contract his way. He has only three accrued seasons, so is a restricted free agent. GB's options are to offer the following one year salaries, with the following conditions:

$850,000 and a right of first refusal for what any other team offers. There are other conditions to "upgrade" this offer to include compensation in the same round as the player was drafted, but since Jemkins was an undrafted free agent, its irrelevent.

$1,300,000 with a right of first refusal, or a second round compensation.

$1,850,000 with right of first refusal or 1st round compensation

$2,350,000 with right of first refusal or 1st & 3rd round compensation

Interestingly, there are now some caveats that apply when a team has multiple 3rd year RFAs if one receives a first or second round tender but was originally selected lower than that and another was their first or second round pick and also a RFA. The second one is lowered by a round unless they also receive the upgraded tender.

The Shadow
01-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Well, we are ok at d tackle, but I don't think that's really enough.
With Jenkins looking like end is the best bet, we need a great disrupter in the middle to bring pressure up the gut.
Tommie Harris is a big reason the Bears D got really good (and his absence is a big reason they lose the S Bowl).

BooHoo
01-26-2007, 05:13 PM
I wouldn't mind us trading down in the first round.

The Shadow
01-26-2007, 05:26 PM
I wouldn't mind us trading down in the first round.

A distinct possibility.
Banking on one player is rough; when there are added picks, the odds of
a few hitting are better.

BooHoo
01-26-2007, 05:28 PM
It is a gamble. I am glad I'm not responsible for draft selections. :D

red
01-26-2007, 05:33 PM
thanks for that info patler, that really isn't all that bad

i wouldn't mind at all throwing one of the top two tenders at him. we could easily afford 1.85 or 2.3 million this year, and if someone really wants him, we get a nice pick or two

Joemailman
01-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Red,

I don't think it would take more than 1.3 mil to keep him. No one is going to give up a 1st round draft pick for Jenkins. He's a good player, but has only started a handful of games so far.

red
01-27-2007, 08:38 AM
Red,

I don't think it would take more than 1.3 mil to keep him. No one is going to give up a 1st round draft pick for Jenkins. He's a good player, but has only started a handful of games so far.

why risk it? big dominate linemen are tuff to come by these days, and he looked like one the last couple of games. someone could take a flier on him. and i'd like to get the best pick possible if we loose him

half a million is nothing these days, and something we can easily afford. plus, if he gets a new deal, he's going to be making more then 2 mill a year anyways

Fritz
01-27-2007, 08:43 AM
Teams often seem to get hung up on when a guy was drafted (or in Jenkins' case not drafted at all), and I suspect few if any GM's would be willing to part with even a second round pick to get Jenkins, who has not proven himself in the same way Kampman had when the Queens went after him.

I'd tender him at that level.