PDA

View Full Version : Favre getting closer to decision

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-24-2007, 04:40 PM
By Stan Caldwell
Hattiesburg American

Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre said Tuesday that he has not made a decision about whether he will play next season, but he expected to speak with head coach Mike McCarthy very soon to discuss his future.

“There’s not really (a timetable),” said Favre, who makes his offseason home in Hattiesburg. “I said after the last game (Dec. 31) that I’d decide within two weeks, but I probably jumped the gun when I said that. But I’m going to call McCarthy (Tuesday) night. He left a message for me this morning.

“I don’t want to drag this out as long as I did last year.”

Last year Favre waited until late March before announcing that he would return for a 16th NFL season. He spoke briefly Tuesday after watching his daughter Brittany play basketball for Oak Grove against Hattiesburg High.

The three-time National Football League Most Valuable Player has quarterbacked the Packers for the past 15 seasons. Green Bay was 8-8 in 2006.

“I’m just trying to get as far away from it as I can right now,” Favre said. “I don’t know if I’ll ever know for sure (whether it’s time to retire).”

HarveyWallbangers
01-24-2007, 04:48 PM
Like last year, I figure the longer he waits, the more likely it is he comes back. I think this points to him coming back. I think there was probably a part of him at the end of the year that thought he was done (especially before the four game winning steak at the end of the year), but he's probably now wondering "why quit?". If he was dead set on retiring, he probably would have done so right after the season.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-24-2007, 04:59 PM
Like last year, I figure the longer he waits, the more likely it is he comes back. I think this points to him coming back. I think there was probably a part of him at the end of the year that thought he was done (especially before the four game winning steak at the end of the year), but he's probably now wondering "why quit?". If he was dead set on retiring, he probably would have done so right after the season.

I agree, he'll be back. I wish when it's his last year that he would say so, it would make the year more memorable.

Partial
01-24-2007, 05:16 PM

I agree, he'll be back. I wish when it's his last year that he would say so, it would make the year more memorable.

And make games unbearable to watch!!!

MJZiggy
01-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Good point Partial.

Joemailman
01-24-2007, 05:29 PM

I don't think he'll do that though. I don't think he wants to turn his last season into the Brett Favre Farewell Tour.

Brando19
01-24-2007, 05:36 PM

I don't think he'll do that though. I don't think he wants to turn his last season into the Brett Favre Farewell Tour.

True...that's why the past three years have been the Brett Favre Don't Know If He's Retiring But Farewell If He Is Tour.

Partial
01-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Favre won't ever do the farewell tour. There is no reason to make a concrete statement like that before the year.

red
01-24-2007, 06:36 PM
the fact that he wants to talk to MM before he decides makes me think he wants to come back again, and is looking for a reason too

if he was dead set on retirement he wouldn't be trying to figure out the state of the team

gbgary
01-24-2007, 07:32 PM
the last two years i didn't think he'd be back and he surprised me and did. now i think he'll back for sure to get the records and put an incredible, positive stamp on his career.

oops...i hope i didn't just jinx it. :shock:

http://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2/images/smilies/wink[1].gif

Packers4Ever
01-24-2007, 08:39 PM
Good point Partial.

Yeah, as Partial said, unbearable to watch. We'll

all be counting down those 16 games and the

last one will come way too soon. If we feel this

way now, what will it be like come next Nov - Dec ?

b bulldog
01-24-2007, 10:00 PM
No doubt about it, he'll be back!

GrnBay007
01-24-2007, 10:02 PM
No doubt about it, he'll be back!

I think so too! Yippeee!!!! :P

Pacopete4
01-25-2007, 03:21 AM
even though i told myself it wasnt his last game against the bears.. i treated it as it was his last and when he gave that speech it was like a part of me left cuz of how he acted.. no matter when or how he hangs it up, its gonna be unbearable to watch because of what that man has brought to us, and meant to us over the last 15 yrs of our lives. We went from thinking he was something special(coming in for magic man and winning), to thinking he should be benched -NOT ME- (soph jinx year & some of us.. "put in Brunell"), to thinking he was the best player we ever seen(3mvp's+ SB), thinking he was legendary(dad dying, wife cancer, playin 200+ games in a row and keeping on going) and then his down year(4-12).. now we see a man still giving us everything he has(8-8 with the most under man'd, and youngest team in the league), still playing strong and we still have faith(98% of us do) that he can still be that magical player that pushes the sun back up from setting for one to two more years. We are starting to build a team that could be scary.. we are starting to build a team that unites.. we have a coach that united that team no matter what our competition was.. We all wanna see Brett give us 2 more years because most of us see the daylight that I really think Brett see's as well.. he deserves better than we've given him, he deserves going out on top.. will it happen?.. who knows, but I think that man will die trying..

....and we will still be here, having his back, like he has had many of ours over all these years..

#4, 4ever

woodbuck27
01-25-2007, 01:37 PM
even though i told myself it wasnt his last game against the bears.. i treated it as it was his last and when he gave that speech it was like a part of me left cuz of how he acted.. no matter when or how he hangs it up, its gonna be unbearable to watch because of what that man has brought to us, and meant to us over the last 15 yrs of our lives. We went from thinking he was something special(coming in for magic man and winning), to thinking he should be benched -NOT ME- (soph jinx year & some of us.. "put in Brunell"), to thinking he was the best player we ever seen(3mvp's+ SB), thinking he was legendary(dad dying, wife cancer, playin 200+ games in a row and keeping on going) and then his down year(4-12).. now we see a man still giving us everything he has(8-8 with the most under man'd, and youngest team in the league), still playing strong and we still have faith(98% of us do) that he can still be that magical player that pushes the sun back up from setting for one to two more years. We are starting to build a team that could be scary.. we are starting to build a team that unites.. we have a coach that united that team no matter what our competition was.. We all wanna see Brett give us 2 more years because most of us see the daylight that I really think Brett see's as well.. he deserves better than we've given him, he deserves going out on top.. will it happen?.. who knows, but I think that man will die trying..

....and we will still be here, having his back, like he has had many of ours over all these years..

#4, 4ever

Great post Pacopete4.

We are aware that the official stance with M3 and TT is that they want Brett Favre to return for 2007.He has the backing of his immediate family,his friends and many 100's of thousands of fans to return
for two more seasons.

Today is the 25th Jan. 2007 and the Super Bowl is a little more than a week away. I predict that Favre will make his announcement soon after that. If he was going to retire we would have heard that by now.

This story says that Mike McCarthy wants Brett to call him today.

I believe that Brett will discuss direction then with Mike McCarthy, and after the strong finish in 2006, I see little reason for him to declare his retirement. There is way too much upside for him to continue playing.

If he does retire that would be a shock to a majority of Packer fans, a huge story for that week. Packer fans arn't ready for that announcement.

This one certainly isn't. :)

Merlin
01-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Personally, I don't see Favre up and walking away now. That being said: I agree Favre doesn't want the "Favre final tour" crap, I wouldn't either. But, TT wasn't too high on keeping him around when he flew into town either. You have to look at the direction of the organization and even though the Packers had a lot of bright spots in '06, TT can't afford to "build through the draft" and expect to keep Favre wanting to play for a young, inexperienced team. We have a lot of locks for starters and some who's contract are up. The Free Agency market will be a good one. If TT doesn't go after a few players, if I were Favre, I would walk. If TT is so stupid that he looks past the 2006 accomplishments and brings in another 10 rookies, then I may have to consider not being much of a fan anymore. We get it Ted, you like the draft. You need to get it Ted, we want to WIN NOW!

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Personally, I don't see Favre up and walking away now. That being said: I agree Favre doesn't want the "Favre final tour" crap, I wouldn't either. But, TT wasn't too high on keeping him around when he flew into town either. You have to look at the direction of the organization and even though the Packers had a lot of bright spots in '06, TT can't afford to "build through the draft" and expect to keep Favre wanting to play for a young, inexperienced team. We have a lot of locks for starters and some who's contract are up. The Free Agency market will be a good one. If TT doesn't go after a few players, if I were Favre, I would walk. If TT is so stupid that he looks past the 2006 accomplishments and brings in another 10 rookies, then I may have to consider not being much of a fan anymore. We get it Ted, you like the draft. You need to get it Ted, we want to WIN NOW!

I agree that we need some good free agents, but they're at least 15 teams with over 20 mil in cap space. It's going to be very difficult to sign a good free agent with that type of cash floting around. In this day in age if you suck in the draft your team will suck because everyone now has enough money to re-sign their good players when their contracts are up.

Pacopete4
01-27-2007, 03:54 AM
if u throw the right $$ with encentives at guys, they'l come.. and its all about going after the right people who want to be with ur team.. not sayin its easy

Fritz
01-27-2007, 08:57 AM
My own opinion is that if Favre sticks around for two more seasons, in the second season - his last - he'd be playing for a playoff team. How good a playoff team, I'm not sure, but if he wanted to go out with a chance at a Super Bowl, I think two more years might just do it. If it doesn't, well, then at least he's got all the records and lots of dough.

If he's worried about not seeing his daughter in her senior year of high school, I'd like to become one of her teachers so I could flunk her and make her repeat her senior year, twice if need be.

GBRulz
01-27-2007, 10:57 AM
If he's worried about not seeing his daughter in her senior year of high school, I'd like to become one of her teachers so I could flunk her and make her repeat her senior year, twice if need be.

That is what worried me most about last year. It was her senior year and Brett had said that he didn't want to miss all of her high school years. Next fall, she's off to college (an article said she was considering Duke) so, I don't think missing her freshman year of college has as much weight as senior year in HS. JMO....

Packers4Ever
01-27-2007, 07:13 PM
If we were to post a poll, my guess is 75-25 that Brett will return, whether it's for 1 or 2 years. Just a feeling.....
But - please tell me Brett isn't going to make them wait til after FA
to announce his decision? That's a little bit long - again. I love Brett dearly but even I am starting to lose patience waiting. Four weeks have gone by since he stated he'd have his mind made up "in a couple weeks." I can't believe he is looking for negative media attention such as we saw a year ago. :?:

mmmdk
01-28-2007, 04:33 AM
I love Favre to death but there's too much emphasis on the guy and too little on the Green Bay Packers. Favre wil eventually retire and Packers are forever. I believe Green Bay endured quite a few post-Lombardi decades where the franchise looked backwards, not forward.
This time around I hope it's just the fans that do so and not the Packers org. The fans around here certainly are fanatic about the Green Bay Favre and puts incredible powers upon whether Favre returns or not.
On the contrary, I look at the Packers youth and see some good players but more are needed. Our playmakers are vets...that's a problem, a problem that can solved with great scouting of college youth and the right free agent pickups.
Quit the navel Favre fondling. I'd welcome Favre back though but I don't think Favre cares one bit about the Favre fanatics and their bloated reasoning for his decision making.

Also, an 8-8 season, is that a glass half full or half empty scenario for the Green Bay Packers? I think the offseason and especially the draft is paramount to the future of the Packers, free agency too. I think Favre had some say about the resent 8-8 season but Favre had more say to the super bowl season 10 years ago.

Favre loves the game and he tries to have fun playing it. But Favre is more about winning (it all) and that's why the 2005 season and the losing was no fun at all.

Favre should, when his family has said their ok for his return, look at the chances for Packers to compete in 2007. That question cannot be answered anytime soon, maybe in november!? Favre will look at the Packers youth and the future of playmakers emerging pretty damn soon. Favre has that much sense, something the Favre idol fanatics will probably never possess. Even Favre looks to the future of the Green Bay Packers and that's why he could conclude it's time to retire.

Go Packers.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Favre will be back ... with Bergstrom

NEENAH — Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre is coming back — at least as pitchman for Bergstrom Automotive.

John Bergstrom, chairman and chief executive officer of Bergstrom Corp., said today that Favre, a three-time NFL most valuable player, agreed on Friday to serve as "our spokesperson for another year."

"We just renewed our contract," Bergstrom said. "I was a little hesitant wondering what he would say and he said, 'I'm in there. I'll be there.'"

Asked if the agreement meant Favre, who is contemplating retirement, might return to the playing field, Bergstrom chuckled and said, "I'm not saying that."

The largest automotive dealer in Wisconsin has benefited from its relationship with the quarterback who owns several NFL all-time passing records and is closing in on a few others.

"We started this since Brett came to town," Bergstrom said. "He's been our spokesman since he signed with the Packers. We got lucky. We didn't know who he was or what we were going to have, and he's stayed loyal to us all through this thing. He just does a great job. He's been incredibly loyal to us and our people love him. He's a real guy, drives a pickup truck."

This is a very good sign.