PDA

View Full Version : Who wants the packers to draft another cb first round???

packers11
01-24-2007, 07:17 PM
NOT ME!!! After Carroll I don't want the packers to take a chance on another first round pick corner... Taking a corner back first round is risky, especially with a lot lacking in size and mainly basing it on raw speed...

I'd rather see a saftey,WR,or rb in the first round...

NO CB'S!!!

You can develop a cb in later rounds (harris,samuel)

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
1 5 Quentin Jammer CB Texas (not special at all)
1 17 Phillip Buchanon CB Miami (bust)
1 26 Lito Sheppard CB Florida (good)

1 5 Terence Newman CB Kansas State (good, not worth #5)
1 11 Marcus Trufant CB Washington State (decent, not worth #11)
1 28 Andre Woolfolk CB Oklahoma (BUST)
1 30 Sammy Davis CB Texas A&M (BUST)
1 31 Nnamdi Asomugha CB California (turning out to be very good)

1 8 DeAngelo Hall CB Virginia Tech (good, but highly overrated)
1 10 Dunta Robinson CB South Carolina (good)
1 25 Ahmad Carroll CB Arkansas (BUST)
1 28 Chris Gamble CB Ohio State (good)

Everything from here on his to early to tell if they are a bust or not... But clearly the first round is not a sure to have CB... Especially at #16 pick... Even the "good/average" ones are not worth at what the spot they were drafted at...

Thoughts???

gbgary
01-24-2007, 07:26 PM
the offense needs to be addressed this year...a playmaker please. a wr, te, and rb!!

SD GB fan
01-24-2007, 07:28 PM
i think most of us wud be hestitant about first round cornerbacks after ahmad carroll past thru here. and as a SD fan, yeah, first round CBs are shaky.

red
01-24-2007, 07:29 PM
there does seem to be a very high bust rate for CB's

but it is a very difficult position

maybe the highest bust rate for first rounders?

i think one reason might be that it take a pretty long time for CB's to "come of age" in the nfl. when a guy's drafted #1 he's expected to come in and dominate right away, and he's just not ready. so he gets burned a lot and losses the confidence he needs, and flames out before he can adjust to the game

then you look at someone like al harris, one of the best in the nfl now, who was a nickle back to start his career, he was able to come a long a little slower and was more protected without that giant microscope pointed at him, and without having to go up against #1'a before he was adjusted and ready

SD GB fan
01-24-2007, 07:33 PM
there does seem to be a very high bust rate for CB's

but it is a very difficult position

maybe the highest bust rate for first rounders?

i think one reason might be that it take a pretty long time for CB's to "come of age" in the nfl. when a guy's drafted #1 he's expected to come in and dominate right away, and he's just not ready. so he gets burned a lot and losses the confidence he needs, and flames out before he can adjust to the game

then you look at someone like al harris, one of the best in the nfl now, who was a nickle back to start his career, he was able to come a long a little slower and was more protected without that giant microscope pointed at him, and without having to go up against #1'a before he was adjusted and ready

good post. i agree completely. later rounders have more time to adjust to the game and learn it without ppl nagging them and pressuring them. cornerbacks get burned a lot because the offense is so fast these days (plus the league wantts high scoring games). that gets to a rookie's head easily, and starts to regress instead of trying to learn

so heres to will blackmon, 4th rounder, nickelback next year 8)

red
01-24-2007, 07:43 PM
i think most of us wud be hestitant about first round cornerbacks after ahmad carroll past thru here. and as a SD fan, yeah, first round CBs are shaky.

its easy to feel this way after we wasted our first 2 picks in the 2004 draft on 2 cb's that are barely in the league

carroll is the #5 or #6 cb on jacksonvilles roster

joey thomas is out of the nfl

BallHawk
01-24-2007, 08:18 PM
And to think we could of had Chris Gamble... :(

SD GB fan
01-24-2007, 08:30 PM
And to think we could of had Chris Gamble... :(

i dunno how well he did this year..

digitaldean
01-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Offense. A playmaker at TE, WR or RB is needed first and foremost.

Brando19
01-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Anyone heard any news out of Robert Ferguson? I really hope we cut that joker.

esoxx
01-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Sure, if he's the best player on the board at the time.

Carroll is a bad example b/c he was a reach.

billy_oliver880
01-24-2007, 09:15 PM
Best player available. No high risk reaches. Someone that will come in and make an impact right away. No one can argue with needing playmakers on BOTH sides of the ball.

SkinBasket
01-24-2007, 09:19 PM
I hope we get a safety high. I dont think there is a TE worth a 1 or 2 that fits GB, and that's the only position on the team that needs as much help is such a desperate way as S.

KYPack
01-24-2007, 09:25 PM
I hope we get a safety high. I dont think there is a TE worth a 1 or 2 that fits GB, and that's the only position on the team that needs as much help is such a desperate way as S.

How bout best available athlete that's a safety?

D has one hole and two needs.

S We gotta get one someplace

DT take a stud if there"s one there

CB depth only< blackmon may be the ans here>

ND72
01-24-2007, 09:39 PM

I would like to go on record and say I wanted Chris Gamble from the first ding of the Draft bell that day.

Joemailman
01-24-2007, 09:46 PM
There are no TE's in this year's draft worthy of a #16 pick. There will probably be no DT's worth it either unless Okoye drops that far. Right now it looks likely that the best players available at # 16 will be at S, CB, WR and LB.

packers11
01-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Even if a "CB" is the best player available... Harris and Woodson hold their ground, it is not really a NEED like the safety or WR position... They just need a little deph when they go in nickle/dime packages which should not be spent on a 1st round draft choice... This cb is going to have plenty of time to grow...

HarveyWallbangers
01-24-2007, 09:50 PM
NOT ME!!! After Carroll I don't want the packers to take a chance on another first round pick corner... Taking a corner back first round is risky, especially with a lot lacking in size and mainly basing it on raw speed...

I'd rather see a saftey,WR,or rb in the first round...

NO CB'S!!!

You can develop a cb in later rounds (harris,samuel)

1 5 Quentin Jammer CB Texas (not special at all)
1 17 Phillip Buchanon CB Miami (bust)
1 26 Lito Sheppard CB Florida (good)

1 5 Terence Newman CB Kansas State (good, not worth #5)
1 11 Marcus Trufant CB Washington State (decent, not worth #11)
1 28 Andre Woolfolk CB Oklahoma (BUST)
1 30 Sammy Davis CB Texas A&M (BUST)
1 31 Nnamdi Asomugha CB California (turning out to be very good)

Everything from here on his to early to tell if they are a bust or not... But clearly the first round is not a sure to have CB... Especially at #16 pick... Even the "good/average" ones are not worth at what the spot they were drafted at...

Thoughts???

This is just silly. I love all of these we shouldn't draft [said position]. You get busts at every position. Actually, some of the guys on that list are probably better than you think. Gamble is decent. Hall is solid. Sheppard is solid. Asomugha should have made the Pro Bowl this year. Newman and Trufant are both good also.

Corners are REALLY hard to find. Like DL. If the Packers are sold on a corner helping them out and have him rated as the best player available, then I say the go for it.

packrulz
01-25-2007, 05:26 AM
You can't teach speed and yes there have been busts in the 1st round on CB's but how many 4th round CB's blossom in the NFL? How many WR's did the Lions and other teams draft in the 1st round that were busts? There are corners that can play safety and safties that can play CB. The Packers corners are older than dirt and they have to draft a corner somewhere so I'd rather draft one with world class speed in the 1st round that can hopefully return kicks. If not, a stud RB would be great also.

Fritz
01-25-2007, 06:48 AM
I don't mind a first round CB, as long as Mike Sherman isn't doing the picking.

Lurker64
01-25-2007, 07:44 AM
I'd like a cornerback at #16 if the best player available at #16 happens to be a CB. Otherwise, I'm not sure this is the right draft for it.

wist43
01-25-2007, 08:18 AM
The problem is not that there aren't CB's worthy of being 1st round draft picks, the problem is that the Packers stink - absolutley stink!!!! - at evaluating defensive personnel.

Carroll was Dorsey's pick... reports were that it was Dorsey who pushed the Packers away from Gamble and to Carroll. I've wanted Dorsey fired for a while, but picking Carroll in the 1st round was nothing short of moronic.

Perhaps a better approach would be for the Packers to draft offense, and only offense, and then build their defense thru free agency - after another team shows them which guys can play which guys can't???

To say that the Packers track record of evaluating defensive personnel is abysmal is an understatement.

pittstang5
01-25-2007, 09:00 AM
With any draft pick, especially the first because of the money involved, everyone wants the "safe" pick. I don't think any position is safe. The draft is a gamble no matter how you look at it.

If TT goes for a CB with the #1 pick, then that's probably the best player he feels is still on the board. If it is a CB, I'm hoping its Darelle Revis. I've watched this kid play, last year and this year. He is a phenom. No one would throw to him this year. Also, he returns punts.

Check this out:

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/06-oas-mediaplayer.html?content=mms://a1981.v26783e.c26783.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/26783/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/pitt/06-07/video/m-footbl/12dec/reviskickreturn.wmv&school=pitt&','VideoPlayer','toolbar=no,resizable=no,scrollbar s=no,width=750,height=460'

wist43
01-25-2007, 09:25 AM
We as fans can see how a guy performs on the field in college, and can look at all of his measurables...

What we can't do, that the scouts and GM's can, is look the kid in the eye, and interview him, i.e. get a feel for his character. Character goes a long way toward determining if a kid will pan out or not...

A good GM will have good people skills and be able to sift thru the BS. Yes, even good GM's miss, but there's a reason the good GM's are reasonably consistent year-in and year-out...

Seeing thru others BS, and having the people skills to recognize good character is a skill and a talent in and of itself - and the good GM's are good at it. From that standpoint, I don't think it's as much of a crap shoot as some would think...

BooHoo
01-25-2007, 09:31 AM
I would rather we selected a DB in later rounds. Maybe even two DBs unless we pick one up in FA.

GoPack06
01-25-2007, 11:13 AM
I like CB in the second and third round.

woodbuck27
01-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Our defensive backfield is a little unclear at present. Which direction will TT prefer to go in?

I say to come up with more money for Al Harris. He deserves a raise based on his play in the second half of last season.

The safety position has to be addressed as we all know that Marquand Manuel isn't the answer. There is talk of moving Charles Woodson to safey. Yet in that case is he going to accept that move, and if so which S position will he play best?

If Woodson agrees to that move then the picture gets clearer.

It's being suggested that the answer is Marviel Underwood returning strong from injured reserve to supplant Manuel? Yet, do we want a question mark there?

If Woodson will move then I say fill a need at CB with a solid FA rather than going to a CB in round one of the draft. I believe the better choice in Rd. 1 is to select the best player available on 'O'.

What we do to correct the secondary's issue's will depend on Charles Woodson's flexibility.

Brando19
01-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Anyone heard any news out of Robert Ferguson? I really hope we cut that joker.

Ook...guess not.

BooHoo
01-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Brando, haven't heard anything yet. He proably is a ? for next year.