Partial
01-25-2007, 06:21 AM
What do we think about this cat?

Fritz
01-25-2007, 06:31 AM
Cool name. Any relation to Christian?

Lurker64
01-25-2007, 07:32 AM
He's explosive, athletic, very very young so he has a high ceiling, and doesn't have any obvious signs of being a slug. I'd be happy with him.

ND72
01-25-2007, 08:53 AM
I personally love this kid...he's a 19 year old 4 year starting senior. 19 years old...as a rookie he's going to be 20 years old..that's awesome. I think he's got a huge upside, and a high motor.

red
01-25-2007, 09:02 AM
isn't this the guy that showed up very light?

280-290 id kind of small for a DT

19 scares me a bit, but it does show the guy is smart as hell, and he could get bigger

ND72
01-25-2007, 10:55 AM
if you saw the kid, you'd think he's bigger than 280-290 if that is the case. He's extremely fast for a DT, and continuously pushed the pocket backwards the past 2 years...this is a kid who started at a D-1 school at the age of 16....there are 16 year old kids not ready to start at a D-1 HIGH SCHOOL program.

Partial
01-25-2007, 10:59 AM
if you saw the kid, you'd think he's bigger than 280-290 if that is the case. He's extremely fast for a DT, and continuously pushed the pocket backwards the past 2 years...this is a kid who started at a D-1 school at the age of 16....there are 16 year old kids not ready to start at a D-1 HIGH SCHOOL program.

Think he has pro-bowl potential?

ND72
01-25-2007, 11:50 AM
I hate making assumptions on rookies...but, I think if you give the kid some time, he could definately come around to be something special. The big thing for us, we have a TON of DT's...do we permanittly move Jenkins to DE? then what do we do with KGB? lots of question with almost anyone we draft...depth is great...but money could become interesting on that DL.

swede
01-25-2007, 12:12 PM
If the selection is made with due diligence on the part of the scouts, I'd love to see a defensive pick like Okoye in the first round.

A great defense and a good offense can win a Super Bowl

LL2
01-25-2007, 12:40 PM
I hate making assumptions on rookies...but, I think if you give the kid some time, he could definately come around to be something special. The big thing for us, we have a TON of DT's...do we permanittly move Jenkins to DE? then what do we do with KGB? lots of question with almost anyone we draft...depth is great...but money could become interesting on that DL.

I wouldn't be opposed to making Jenkins the permanent starter on RDE. It will most likely happen. KGB will probably be a role player. If he's the best available go for him, but I think a playmaker on offense is more important.

red
01-25-2007, 12:41 PM

i think you might have answered your own question. the kid could be special in time. the good news for us as you mentioned is we have a lot of depth at DT. he wouldn't be thrust into action right away if he's not ready.

and we could always move one of the other DT's, like cole, allen, or williams and pick up another mid round pick

this kid sounds to be like he could be a DE at the next level. he dropped that weight for the senior bowl for i reason i think. he might want switch, or show teams he could go either way. a 305 pound DT doesn't make me drool as much as a 290 pound DE

and if you do draft him to be a DE, then IMo you keep jenkins as the other starter at DT along with pickett, and still try and move one of the other dt's

for me, we have greater needs and right now, d-line isn't top priority with jenkins looking good at Re last year. with jenkins and kampman at DE pickett as one dt and the huge rotation for the other DT. and KGB coming in on passing downs. i think we look pretty solid on the d-line

RashanGary
01-25-2007, 12:52 PM
He's definitly a guy that is looking pretty good at the SR bowl. I'm a pretty big fan of Reggie Nelson. I think DB's with ball skills are pretty important and we don't really have any outside of Woodson.

Freak Out
01-25-2007, 01:00 PM
He is someone you want to keep a close eye on if your name is TT. He has some freaking amazing moves for a big guy. Still growing and can get much stronger.

KYPack
01-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Cool name. Any relation to Christian?

No, they aren't related,

He's real fast, but like most LVille lineman, he's not as big as advertised.

Petrino likes 'em super fast. I didn't think Dumerville would make it, but he did all right for Denver.

I'd say this kid would be worth a flyer.

A first? I dunno.

Joemailman
01-25-2007, 05:15 PM
NFLDraftCountdown and GBNReport have him going at #9 and #12 respectively, so the Packers may not have a shot at him. Although DT is seen as a position of strength on the Packers, I don't think you pass up a player of his talent if you have a shot at him at #16.

Partial
01-25-2007, 06:19 PM

i think you might have answered your own question. the kid could be special in time. the good news for us as you mentioned is we have a lot of depth at DT. he wouldn't be thrust into action right away if he's not ready.

and we could always move one of the other DT's, like cole, allen, or williams and pick up another mid round pick

this kid sounds to be like he could be a DE at the next level. he dropped that weight for the senior bowl for i reason i think. he might want switch, or show teams he could go either way. a 305 pound DT doesn't make me drool as much as a 290 pound DE

and if you do draft him to be a DE, then IMo you keep jenkins as the other starter at DT along with pickett, and still try and move one of the other dt's

for me, we have greater needs and right now, d-line isn't top priority with jenkins looking good at Re last year. with jenkins and kampman at DE pickett as one dt and the huge rotation for the other DT. and KGB coming in on passing downs. i think we look pretty solid on the d-line

a 290 DE that is 6'1" or 6'2" is a 3-4 DE, not a premiere mario williams type prospect. He didn't drop the weight, he said he played at 295 all year and has felt better than ever.

ny10804
01-25-2007, 06:47 PM
He is 6'2 even 287lbs, very fast, and will be a 20 year old rookie.

Coming out, Tommie Harris was 6'3 287lbs, very fast, and was a 20 year old rookie.

I'm just saying...

Joemailman
01-25-2007, 07:33 PM

a 290 DE that is 6'1" or 6'2" is a 3-4 DE, not a premiere mario williams type prospect. He didn't drop the weight, he said he played at 295 all year and has felt better than ever.

What's the deal here? Both NFLDraftCountdown and GBNReport have him listed in the 315 range. How big is he?

Partial
01-25-2007, 07:41 PM

What's the deal here? Both NFLDraftCountdown and GBNReport have him listed in the 315 range. How big is he?

My guess is Louisville listed him at a larger weight.

SD GB fan
01-25-2007, 08:06 PM
he sounds inviting as a pick. he sounds like he has a huge amount of potential. but the p word nvr works without the d word "discipline." if he is around im all for it to draft him. we need someone special at Dline. with someone like him, he and jenkins can rotate at both DEs and DTs depending on the situation, and probably still excel regardless or where they play on the line. that kinda reflexibility wud be awesome. besides, at 19 of age, you bet hes gonna get strongers and bigger.

Lurker64
01-25-2007, 08:17 PM
I really hope he's there when we pick, since in all honesty unless some other guys have really good combines etc. he probably won't be. If he's there, I would take him 100 times out of 100.

AtlPackFan
01-26-2007, 11:58 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ap-seniorbowl-okoye&prov=ap&type=lgns

19-year-old Okoye poised to join NFL

By JOHN ZENOR<, AP Sports Writer
January 24, 2007

MOBILE, Ala. (AP) -- Louisville defensive tackle Amobi Okoye wants to be a top 5 pick in the upcoming NFL draft, help his team to the Super Bowl as a rookie and do a good job managing all that money.

Being able to legally grab a beer with his teammates will have to wait a couple of years.

The 19-year-old Okoye will become the youngest player to compete in the Senior Bowl, a showcase for senior NFL prospects set for Saturday.

"This is where I'm supposed to be," he said. "It's nothing new to me."

Besides, Okoye is hardly an unproven commodity. He signed with Louisville's Bobby Petrino as a 15-year-old in Huntsville, Ala., and grew into a muscular 6-foot-2, 312 pounds.

His resume reads more like a high-tech prodigy than a football player: College at 16. Degree in 3 1/2 years. Job interviews with a couple of dozen prospective employers.

He started school at age 2 1/2 , skipped sixth grade and entered high school in Huntsville at 12 after his family moved from Nigeria.

And now on to the NFL, where he'll be facing offensive linemen who were playing high school ball before he was born.

"I'm ready for it," said Okoye, a second-team AP All-American. "It's going to be a challenge. Every time a challenge has been put before me, I've always been ready to accept the challenge and just go out there and do the best I can do.

"It's a lot of money for a 19-year-old. But that was my whole motivation last year. I wanted to be a 19-year-old millionaire. Hopefully I'll be that."

Okoye is projected as a likely first-round pick, and some NFL mock drafts have him going in the top 10.

It only took one Senior Bowl practice for Okoye to make an impression on North coach Jon Gruden.

"It's really unbelievable. He went out there and was knocking people around. He didn't look like he was 19," said Gruden, coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. "I've just got a tremendous amount of respect for him and how he's been raised. He's obviously a very smart guy to accelerate his academics the way he has. He may be young, but he is not lacking any physical attributes at this point."

Even with his hat turned backward and a somewhat skimpy goatee, the massive Okoye doesn't look 19. But given his age, teams are also going to gauge his mental maturity along with those physical skills.

"When you look at the tape, the guy's an explosive football player," Gruden said. "He really has a chance to play. You just worry about what he's going to do at night, 10 o'clock with no bed check. That's what I worry about with a 19-year-old kid. I worry about that more than anything else."

Teenagers with fat paychecks have been far more common in the NBA and pro baseball.

Okoye, however, points out a significant difference. Those guys either are fresh out of high school or have minimal college experience. He has been playing college ball since his first year out of high school and has a degree in psychology.

"I think college is something everybody should go through," Okoye said. "I learned a lot in college. I learned a lot about life, and I grew."

"He's very mature," said running back Kolby Smith, a Louisville and Senior Bowl teammate. "He's aware of everything that's going on around him. Like they say, he's wise beyond his years."

Okoye has big ambitions. He's "shooting for the first five" draft picks. He would love to follow in the New Orleans Saints' Reggie Bush's footsteps and play for a winning team as a rookie.

"I'm sure he definitely enjoyed his first year going to the NFC championship game," Okoye said. "Maybe I can do something like that and maybe go even further than that, to the Super Bowl."

He's used to people wondering if he'll be able to handle a big leap in competition and pressures at such a young age.

Okoye said that when Petrino was asked about his youngest signee four years ago, the coach "said he was going to wait until I started shaving before he played me.

"I went out there and showed him my capabilities and my talent, and he told them he went out and bought me a razor."

He played in all 13 games as a freshman. But he also showed glimpses of his potential upside with a breakout senior season.

Okoye had 23 tackles and half a sack as a junior. Those numbers jumped to 55 and eight last season, earning him unanimous selection as first-team All-Big East Conference.

Okoye wouldn't mind rejoining Petrino and position coach Kevin Wolthausen, both now with the Atlanta Falcons. The Falcons have the 10th overall pick.

"(Petrino) helped me out with a lot of things and I helped him out with a lot of things," Okoye said. "I think we have a pretty good relationship. My old position coach is here, too. I saw him this week.

"Seeing him kind of brought a smile to my face."

LL2
01-26-2007, 12:01 PM
According to Kiper on the radio this morning his stock has probably moved up a little this week preparing for the Senior Bowl. If he has a great game this weekend and great combine he will probably go in the top 10. If we draft him who would be the odd man out? Cole? If available at 16 he might be worth taking, but might take a couple of years to develop. We need a day 1 starter that will be a playmaker.

Freak Out
01-26-2007, 12:28 PM
With all the press this guy is getting now there is no way he falls to us. One can always hope though......

red
01-27-2007, 03:26 PM
oooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i want him

the kid just made a reggie white like rip move and chased down the Qb in the senior bowl

thats pretty impressive coming from a DT

the kid looks like a beast, just based on size

pack4to84
01-27-2007, 03:29 PM
I 2nd that. That was a unbelievable play

Lurker64
01-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Man, if I was picking #1 in this draft, I'd be tempted by Okoye.

RashanGary
01-27-2007, 07:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weI1aXbZthk

b bulldog
01-28-2007, 03:51 PM
sORT OF REMINDS ME OF sANTANA dOTSON. damn ca :x ps key

Partial
01-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Rams will take them. That should also put them in prime position to be the team that has drafted more DT's than any other team in the first round in the past 6 or 7 years. This will be 5 I believe.

hawaii50
01-29-2007, 03:03 AM
He is 6'2 even 287lbs, very fast, and will be a 20 year old rookie.

Coming out, Tommie Harris was 6'3 287lbs, very fast, and was a 20 year old rookie.

I'm just saying...

that's exactly who i think of when i read about okoye. if he could have that sort of presence it could do wonders for the defense. need or not, he might definitely be the BPA at 16 if we were to get that lucky. as of now, looks like he'll be a top ten pick.

ahaha
01-29-2007, 10:37 AM
This guy is going to be a top five pick. If, by some miracle, he drops to 16 I can't see the Packers passing. Sure, the d-line is pretty good, but it's not dominant. This guy is just what the Pack needs to make the next step. A guy that could consistently put pressure up the middle. That makes it hard for the quarterback to step up in the pocket. How many times, in the NFL, do you see the DE's making good rushes on the outside only to watch the QB step up in the pocket and make the throw?
Good size, great athleticism, and very smart. Plus, if he can excel after skipping grades and going to college at age 15, then he obviously has a maturity beyond his years.
I would be extatic if the Pack got Okoye.