PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys Hire Garrett, but for what?

MJZiggy
01-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Sources: Cowboys pick Garrett, but role is undecided
ESPN.com news services

According to knowledgeable sources, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has decided to hire Jason Garrett at least to be Dallas' offensive coordinator -- and possibly to be the successor to retired head coach Bill Parcells.

A source told ESPN's Ed Werder on Wednesday night that Jones considers Garrett -- a former backup to quarterback Troy Aikman -- to be one of the most promising offensive coaches in the league and was so determined to bring him back to the Cowboys organization that he would have been added to Parcells' staff had Parcells decided to coach the final year of his contract.

Instead, Parcells stepped down Monday after four seasons with the Cowboys, ending a 19-year coaching tenure that included two Super Bowl champoinships with the New York Giants.

Jones must decide by Thursday whether to hire Garrett as offensive coordinator because the Miami Dolphins set a deadline for the Cowboys to hire their quarterbacks coach when granting the Cowboys permission to interview Garrett.

The Cowboys could appoint Garrett offensive coordinator to secure his services while eliminating the Dolphins from the equation. Then Jones could deliberate whether to appoint him as the head coach later after interviews with other head-coaching candidates, primarily San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips or San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Norv Turner.

Ultimately, Jones must decide whether he's willing to sign a veteran coach to a three- or four-year contract to allow Garrett to gain experience as a play-caller before eventually promoting him to the top job. Or, Jones may decide he's willing to endure the risk of immediately putting a talented Cowboys team in Garrett's hands now.

Garrett spent the last two seasons coaching Miami's quarterbacks. He played for the Cowboys from 1993-99, appearing in 23 games (nine starts). He also played for the Giants, Tampa Bay and Miami. Garrett retired in 2004.

Garrett's father, Jim, was a longtime scout for the Cowboys.

The Cowboys haven't had an offensive coordinator since Maruice Carthon served in that role under Parcells in 2004. This season, assistant head coach Tony Sparano coached running backs and the offensive line and receivers coach Todd Haley was the passing game coordinator.

Jones earlier this week spoke to Sparano, Haley and secondary coach Todd Bowles, a candidate to replace Mike Zimmer as defensive coordinator, about the head coaching job.

Phillips, who was in Mobile scouting Senior Bowl practices, said he hadn't heard from anybody yet, including the Cowboys.

"If it's true, we'll just go on with the process and see what happens," Phillips told The Associated Press by telephone. "I've got a great job where I am and a great football team. I wasn't looking for anything, but I've always wanted to do what I can do as a head coach, and Dallas is certainly a premier job."

The Cowboys have declared that finding the coaches who can develop young Pro Bowl quarterback Tony Romo is a point of emphasis in replacing Parcells.

MacCool606
01-25-2007, 07:56 AM
I can understand why this guy is in such demand. After all the Miami quarterbacks have been stellar the past couple of years.

Green Bud Packer
01-25-2007, 09:34 AM
if i'm remembering right jason garrett beat the pack in his first start in '94 or '95. 41-34 or something like that. then aikman trounced us in the playoffs. man i hate them cowboys.

BooHoo
01-25-2007, 09:43 AM
This all seems very strange. Either hire the guy or don't hire the guy.

Chubbyhubby
01-25-2007, 10:36 AM
This all seems very strange. Either hire the guy or don't hire the guy.

I agree. Make up your mind already.

Jerry Tagge
01-25-2007, 12:15 PM
if i'm remembering right jason garrett beat the pack in his first start in '94 or '95. 41-34 or something like that. then aikman trounced us in the playoffs. man i hate them cowboys.
You are correct. Garrett started on Thanksgiving, 1994 against the Pack and led the Cowboys to a 42-31 victory after the Packers had a 24-13 lead at halftime.

I remember Garrett throwing jump balls to Michael Irvin who would reach up over Terrell Buckley and catch them. Buckley trying to tackle Irvin was a joke. Irvin threw Buckley around like a rag doll.

Aikman and Emmitt Smith killed the Packers in the playoffs that year 35-9 after the Packers beat the Lions at Lambeau Field 16-12 when the Packers held Barry Sanders to his lowest rushing total ever of -1 yard. That's right, the Packers held Sanders to negative yards!

Zool
01-25-2007, 12:22 PM
I think it was Harper catching all the rainbows that day, if memory serves me.

Jerry Tagge
01-25-2007, 01:32 PM
I think it was Harper catching all the rainbows that day, if memory serves me.
Irvin had a few but you are correct, Harper was catching rainbows and killing the Packers.

Buckley's deficiencies really stood out against a physical Dallas team.

esoxx
01-25-2007, 01:40 PM
It will all boil down to whether Garrett will be enough of a boot lick to Jerry Jones. Right now, Jones has thrown him a bone by naming him offensive coordinator. He will continue to meet with Garrett to see if he understands that Jones will call the personnel shots and if he understands that, like Chan Gailey and Dave Campo before him, he will be bumped up to head coach. He will then be known as one of Jerry's Kids, like Gailey and Campo.

And that is good news for the rest of the NFC.

MacCool606
01-25-2007, 06:32 PM
If Garrett isn't named HC, then what real power will the HC have. Jones has already starter filling out his staff for him. Shouldn't the HC pick his coordinators?

MacCool606
01-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Oh - on the thanksgiving game - I remember that most of the jump balls were under-thrown so the receiver had to come back for them. That always gives the receiver the advantage. But I remember thinking that Garrett didn't have much of an arm because of it.

BooHoo
01-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Coaching in Dallas seems like risky business. Kind of like coaching in Oakland.

MJZiggy
01-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Considering that there are only 32 of these jobs in existence, it seems to me guys are gonna have to take what they can get... :?

BooHoo
01-26-2007, 05:04 PM
I believe some jobs aren't worth the trouble.

Fritz
01-27-2007, 09:08 AM
God I"m getting old. When I saw the subject line I thought it meant Walt Garrison.

"Hi, I'm Walt Garrison and I don't smoke..." Anybody remember those commercials?