PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Harris?

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-25-2007, 12:24 PM
If when free agency starts and their's a chance for us to get A. Samuel or N. Cements, do we sign one of them and trade Harris or do we pay Harris?

Now I love Harris as much as an packer, but if we could get one of those to guys, I think our team would benefit much more in the long run. If you think about it, your going to have to pay Harris about the same amount that Samuel or Cements would demand, but both of them or a lot younger than Harris. Not only would you get a younger corner, but you would also probably be able to get a 3rd for Harris as well.

So, if it's possible come March to sign one of those to guys, you would be getting a equally talented younger corner and probably and decent draft pick. Not a bad deal IMO.

MadtownPacker
01-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Harris, at his current contract is a incredible deal, even if he gets a nice pay bump he is still worth it. Aint he signed until like 08 anyways?

Leave the dreads alone!!

prsnfoto
01-25-2007, 12:37 PM
If when free agency starts and their's a chance for us to get A. Samuel or N. Cements, do we sign one of them and trade Harris or do we pay Harris?

Now I love Harris as much as an packer, but if we could get one of those to guys, I think our team would benefit much more in the long run. If you think about it, your going to have to pay Harris about the same amount that Samuel or Cements would demand, but both of them or a lot younger than Harris. Not only would you get a younger corner, but you would also probably be able to get a 3rd for Harris as well.

So, if it's possible come March to sign one of those to guys, you would be getting a equally talented younger corner and probably and decent draft pick. Not a bad deal IMO.

I am not saying it is a bad idea but throwing Harris a bone for example 2 million roster bonus is a far cry with his 3.5 million dollar salary than what these guys are gonna get. Samuel will get at least 8 million a year and Clements 6-8 million thats why I have said on these boards more than once we have two very good corners for the price of one. I admit they are only a short term solution Woodsen may make safety to extend his career,and Harris is probably done in two years. I guess its whether you want to find a good corner in the draft or buy one and looking at the Packers record with corners your suggestion may be plausible.

Forgot to mention Woodsen WAS a lot this year but he makes less than Al next year thats why I said 2 for 1.

prsnfoto
01-25-2007, 12:40 PM
Harris, at his current contract is a incredible deal, even if he gets a nice pay bump he is still worth it. Aint he signed until like 08 anyways?

Leave the dreads alone!!

I think he is signed through 2009 thats why I always said the hold out take is crazy he is not going anywhere, that being said they rewarded Driver who could go nowhere either so they could throw Al a bone I have always suggested a 2 million roster bonus leave the contract intact.

MJZiggy
01-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Don't know how fast his skills will deteriorate, but for the moment, he's still considered about the best bump-and-run corner in the league. You don't trade that off until you are either a) ready to switch to a different cover scheme or b) he shows some decline. I haven't seen either happen. Pay the man; nice little roster bonus or ltbe should keep him happy.

red
01-25-2007, 12:50 PM
i would keep harris, and throw him some extra cash. cb is the most expensive position to pick up off FA. those guys will get insane money

Murphy37
01-25-2007, 12:56 PM
I have to agree with you all, gotta keep Al, and throw him a bone. Now if someone wants to give away everything and the kitchen sink to get him, well then that's different. But I doubt that will happen at this point in Al's career.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-25-2007, 01:18 PM

I am not saying it is a bad idea but throwing Harris a bone for example 2 million roster bonus is a far cry with his 3.5 million dollar salary than what these guys are gonna get. Samuel will get at least 8 million a year and Clements 6-8 million thats why I have said on these boards more than once we have two very good corners for the price of one. I admit they are only a short term solution Woodsen may make safety to extend his career,and Harris is probably done in two years. I guess its whether you want to find a good corner in the draft or buy one and looking at the Packers record with corners your suggestion may be plausible.

Forgot to mention Woodsen WAS a lot this year but he makes less than Al next year thats why I said 2 for 1.

The contracts of Samuel and Cements would not be a problem because we could front load their contracts the way we did Woodson. Not only that, if you get Samuel or Cements, you would have to trade Harris which would free up some space, not sure how much however.

Now I like Harris, but after the McKenzie and Walker situation I try not to get to attached to any player anymore (expect Brett :D ). I definitely think we should pay Harris if we can't get Samuel or Cements, I’m just saying to think the team may benefit more in the long run if could gey either of those players.

MadtownPacker
01-25-2007, 01:21 PM
Those are some true words of wisdom Murph. It is hard to believe you typed them.

I like your $$ amount for Harris PF. It would make Harris feel happy and the Pack would be set for the next two seasons on his side. If Woodson holds his end up players could be developed. Sure that was all part of TT's plan but doubters wouldn’t give him a chance to load the team up. I know all you greedy bastards liked having 11 new players on draft day. Look what it has done, the team now has a nice sense of depth. After this draft it is going to get deeper while last years depth gets scrutinized and possibly cut. Players have to play hard and smart or TT axes them.

Packnut
01-25-2007, 02:25 PM
The Harris question is a pretty tough nut to crack. First, I thought it was TT's policy to dump any player who cries about his contract to the press? The Packer orginization has already set the rules i.e. McKenzie and Walker.

Driver never complained about his contract which is one reason he got paid. The way I see it, NE will make a run at Samuel BEFORE FA starts. He looks to have the most upside out of those available.

Harris is most likely to have 2-3 solid years left. His jam techniques just might be the best in the league. Still he signed a binding contract and you can't have a double standard. If you give him more cash, others will follow suit.

The ONLY way you can justify any increase is to give him some preformance related incentives. A mill for the pro bowl and x amount of dollars for total catches against him and stuff like that. No way can you re-negotiate his contract.

I still think TT better come up with a saftey in FA. His past comments about Manuel are scary, cause if he really thinks Manuel played ok, we're in deep do-do!

Murphy37
01-25-2007, 02:33 PM
[quote="MadtownPacker"]Those are some true words of wisdom Murph. It is hard to believe you typed them.

Don't tell me my business devil woman!

As for Harris complaining about his current contract, that was a mistake. He knows the recent history of players who have done so, and he knows the history of those who have not, like Kampman and Driver. So why would he do this you ask? Perhaps he wants to be elsewhere, and this is his way of making that point known. I hope that's not the case, I don't want this to get ugly.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-25-2007, 02:51 PM
[quote=MadtownPacker]Those are some true words of wisdom Murph. It is hard to believe you typed them.

Don't tell me my business devil woman!

As for Harris complaining about his current contract, that was a mistake. He knows the recent history of players who have done so, and he knows the history of those who have not, like Kampman and Driver. So why would he do this you ask? Perhaps he wants to be elsewhere, and this is his way of making that point known. I hope that's not the case, I don't want this to get ugly.

Thats a good point, players are not loyal to their team anymore so why should the team be. If it's better for the packers in the long run to sign a free agent and trade Harris, then so be it.

red
01-25-2007, 04:16 PM

The contracts of Samuel and Cements would not be a problem because we could front load their contracts the way we did Woodson. Not only that, if you get Samuel or Cements, you would have to trade Harris which would free up some space, not sure how much however.

i think the contract that woodson got will look like peanuts compared to what those two might get. he was a guy who was hurt the 2 years prior to his contract and a guy who hand't done much for the last 4 years. front loading is fine and all. but it gets hard to front load a contract when you have to eat around 20 million in one season for bonuses, AND 5 million or so every season after that

you can front load it some, but when a guys contract is 50 or 60 million over 5 or 7 years, you're going to have to have big cap numbers every year.

not only that, but when you front load contracts it means you run out of room that year to sign other guys to deals. you can put yourself in cap hell just by doing those, not just backloaded deals

just because you front load some contracts doesn't mean its spending spree time, you still have to be carefull and not throw your money around left and right

GoPackGo
01-25-2007, 04:46 PM
I think we need to give Harris a bonus for being a good Packer and draft 3-4 CB's for the furure this year and next

Guiness
01-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Those are some true words of wisdom Murph. It is hard to believe you typed them.

Really? I don't think they make sense. No team can throw anything at Harris - he's under contract.

Fritz
01-27-2007, 11:08 AM
I have to agree with you all, gotta keep Al, and throw him a bone. Now if someone wants to give away everything and the kitchen sink to get him, well then that's different. But I doubt that will happen at this point in Al's career.

Don't forget that Matt Millen (a third or fourth round pick for Ty Detmer) is still a GM in this league.

I agree with you here, Murph. Throw that dreadlocked man a bone, for crissakes.

Lurker64
01-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Is it conceivable that adding a bunch of incentives and escalators to his contract would assuage the Harris situation? If he loses a step, he's probably done as a #1 guy so giving him an unholy pile of guaranteed money is probably not the best idea. But I like the thought of tying his raise to how well he plays.

digitaldean
01-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Harris deserves an extension to his deal.

I'd like Samuel, but we could sign 3 CB's for what he wants. NE may reportedly franchise him anyway.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Harris was born on 2/7/74, which means he will be 33 in about 2 weeks and 34 by the end of next season. If we do give him an extension it needs to be a short term one. I can't even remember a coner that was good into his mid to late 30's.

prsnfoto
01-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Harris was born on 2/7/74, which means he will be 33 in about 2 weeks and 34 by the end of next season. If we do give him an extension it needs to be a short term one. I can't even remember a coner that was good into his mid to late 30's.

Darrell Green,Ty Law, Dave Brown :P There haven't been many,there also haven't been many I have ever seen play Bump and Run like Harris that should extend his career most guys lose a step and don't have the physical ability to compensate they are toast, Al has his technique perfected so he would have to lose a lot of speed to be affected. I thought I read somewhere he went against everyones #1 all year and they averaged 2 catches for 33 yards that leaves a lot of room for decline.

MadtownPacker
01-29-2007, 08:59 PM
I thought I read somewhere he went against everyones #1 all year and they averaged 2 catches for 33 yards that leaves a lot of room for decline.Man, everytime I read that stat it just blows my mind. Al is just plan sick. What other CB can say he shutdown guys like Holt all season long? Since his game aint about speed I dont see why he would be on the downslope just yet.

superfan
01-29-2007, 11:47 PM
Some team is going to grossly overpay for Samuel, and hopefully it's not the Pack.

Interceptions are a streaky stat, and the result of parts of luck, skill, and circumstances. Rarely do players continually produce big interception totals year after year. In 15 games last year, Samuel had 10 interceptions. In the 39 games prior, he had 5.

He was the 23rd pick in the 4th round in 2003, so he was hardly thought of as a can't miss prospect coming out of college. The 2006 season preview of Pro Football Weekly magazine didn't include Samuel in its top 25 CBs. Smells a bit like a one hit wonder to me.

He's a nice young player with upside, but I can think of at least a dozen CBs I would rather have, including Harris. If he hits free agency he will very likely be one of the highest paid corners in the league, and the chances of his production equalling or exceeding that pay check are very slim.

HarveyWallbangers
01-30-2007, 02:05 PM
I agree on Samuel. I'd prefer Nate Clements, but I doubt a high profile FA corner is going to sign with the Pack. They already have Harris and Woodson.