PDA

View Full Version : Punter Ray Guy among finalists for HOF Class of 2007

woodbuck27
01-26-2007, 12:12 AM
http://www.raidersrap.com/2006notes.html

Ray Guy Among Finalists

Former Raiders punter Ray Guy is among 17 finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2007, the Hall announced Jan. 10.

Guy, who played for the Raiders from 1973 to 1986, had a career punting average of 42.4 yards. He played in seven Pro Bowls and was named All-Pro six times. The former Southern Mississippi All-America was the first punter ever selected in the first round (23rd by Oakland in 1973) of the NFL draft.

Guy would become the first punter elected to the Hall of Fame.

The other 14 modern-era finalists are recently retired NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue, running back Thurman Thomas, offensive lineman Bruce Matthews, wide receivers Michael Irvin, Art Monk and Andre Reed, guards Russ Grimm and Bob Kuechenberg, tackle Gary Zimmerman, defensive ends Fred Dean and Richard Dent, linebackers Derrick Thomas and Andre Tippett and cornerback Roger Wehrli.

Guard Gene Hickerson and tight end Charlie Sanders are the senior committee nominees this year.

The Class of 2007 will be determined at the HOF selection committee's annual meeting Feb. 3, the day before Super Bowl XLI in Miami.

To be elected, a finalist must receive a minimum of 80 percent of the total votes. Each year, three to six new Hall members are selected from the finalist list. To be considered, a player must have been retired at least five years.

Enshrinement of the class of 2007 will take place on the weekend of August 4-5 in Canton, Ohio.

KYPack
01-26-2007, 09:32 AM
I gave Ray Guy HOF status in a thread a few weeks ago.

He certainly deserves it, & it would make me "right".

swede
01-26-2007, 12:08 PM
In my mind's eye I remember him as a skinny little guy whose leg whipped up to straight up and down vertical as his momentum propelled him about 10 inches off the ground.

The Hall of Fame doesn't mean what it's supposed to mean if he doesn't get in over guys like Marcus Allen.

Marcus Allen was a great running back but you can all name ten more just as good.

Who has ever been as good as Ray Guy punting the football?

Freak Out
01-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Ray Guy was just nails. I have never seen a better punter (power, precision and consistency). He deserves to be there. I take it Stenerud is still the only full time kicker in? The pride of Fetsund!

prsnfoto
01-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Ray Guy was just nails. I have never seen a better punter (power, precision and consistency). He deserves to be there. I take it Stenerud is still the only full time kicker in? The pride of Fetsund!

Adam Vinitari will get in someday, Guy deserves to be in and this is a weak class so if he doesn't something is very wrong. Kudos to SM they had a kicker with a canon leg and later a legendary QB with a canon arm.

Fritz
01-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Put Guy in. The guy was the best of all time at his position, and influenced field position in a way that, say, an offensive lineman never could. By the by, KC also had an excellent punter, but I forgot his name. Jerald something or other? Those two were good together for a long time.

Lurker64
01-27-2007, 10:10 AM
If the guy's listed on the depth chart as a starter and happens to be the best player to ever play his position, he belongs in the hall of fame.