PDA

View Full Version : Team Salary Cap Room going into 2007 Free Agency

gureski
01-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Hello everyone. I saw this today and wanted to make sure I shared it. I did a quick search and didn't see anyone else linking to it so here you go...

Team Salary Cap Room:

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/01/26/Bucs/For_Bucs__it_s_buyer_.shtml

Cap money available

1. San Francisco $42.1M

2. Buffalo $39.7M

3. Arizona $36.7M

4. Tennessee $36M

5. Cleveland $33.3M

6. Minnesota $32.4M

7. (tie)Jacksonville $32M

7. St. Louis $32M

9. New England $30.4M

10. Cincinnati $30.2M

11. New Orleans $29.9M

12. Green Bay $29.5M

13. New York Jets $26.1M

14. San Diego $24.6M

15. Tampa Bay $24.2M

16. Detroit $23.8M

17. Chicago $23.4M

18. Seattle $22.5M

19. Dallas $21.5M

20. Miami $17.8M

21. New York Giants $15.7M

22. Oakland $14.1M

23. Houston $13.3M

24. Atlanta $10M

25. Philadelphia $12.4M

26. Denver $7.6M

27. Kansas City $7M

28. Baltimore $5.7M

29. Indianapolis $4.9M

30. Carolina $3.4M

31. Washington $951,000

32. Pittsburgh $150,000

These numbers are fluid and can change based on bonuses, roster moves, contract extensions, etc. Teams with high draft picks, such as the Bucs, will need to reserve considerable cap space for their picks.

Figures are approximate. Sources: media reports, club officials and NFL Players Association

red
01-26-2007, 02:02 PM
man, thats the first time i've seen every teams free money

with the cap going up it looks like everyones got a ton of room

look for the bidding to be insane. i wouldn't expect us to get much

and chicago should have more then enough room to keep briggs

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-26-2007, 02:09 PM

Yep Briggs is out of the equation.

prsnfoto
01-26-2007, 02:47 PM

Those numbers include the increase red so everyone up to Dallas is sitting pretty good the Bears also have most of their good young team already locked up so they could give Briggs the house, but that may cause decent in the ranks right now only Urlacher makes big money the rest of the talented young guys are pretty equal and pretty cheap. Teams 26 and down don't even have enough to sign their draft picks yet somehow we will hear how the Redskins sign three huge free agents and have cap room for their rookies.
The Pack should have 20 mil to blow after the rookies and Jenkins,Williams, and maybe even Green, if Brett doesn't come back and they dump KGB and Ferguson thats another 18.5 million let the spending begin.

red
01-26-2007, 02:56 PM

Those numbers include the increase red so everyone up to Dallas is sitting pretty good the Bears also have most of their good young team already locked up so they could give Briggs the house, but that may cause decent in the ranks right now only Urlacher makes big money the rest of the talented young guys are pretty equal and pretty cheap. Teams 26 and down don't even have enough to sign their draft picks yet somehow we will hear how the Redskins sign three huge free agents and have cap room for their rookies.
The Pack should have 20 mil to blow after the rookies and Jenkins,Williams, and maybe even Green, if Brett doesn't come back and they dump KGB and Ferguson thats another 18.5 million let the spending begin.

i don't have the numbers in front of me, but thats way off

patler should be a along soon to clear this up

edit: actually, after looking at the numbers myself, we would gain about that much. you were right, my bad

prsnfoto
01-26-2007, 03:19 PM
It depends how they eat the signing bonus' KGB salary is 5 mil,bonus 1.5,Ferguson salary 1.8 mil not sure what he has left for bonus but it ain't enough to keep him, Brett has 11 mil salary 1.8 left on signing bonus, Your right I added wrong I meant 17.5 actually 17.8 no matter how you cut it thay have to pay the SB the salaries are savings don't get me wrong I want Brett back but the other two are anchors that need to be dropped, as will Bubba after this year unless he makes a miracle comeback. By the way the SB is already figured in they can opt to let the rest ride into next year or erase it all this year which would lower my figure more. If you go to the cap website I learned something I didn't know Hawk deferred his SB last year to this year and if I remember correctly it is listed as a RB of 11.9 mil this year think about what that means for next year coupled with another 8 mil increase. I'm sure Patler will clean some of these up but they are pretty close.

prsnfoto
01-26-2007, 03:25 PM
No problem i was typing while you were editing,did you see that bonus for Hawk on there the sight I was on lists it as RB which would be fucking amazing, think of that money next year. :shock:

HarveyWallbangers
01-26-2007, 03:44 PM
For Minnesota, I wonder if it includes the new deals signed by Henderson and Williams. Before they signed those guys, I had heard they were around $32-33M, and those guys had to cost a pretty penny on the cap this year. I often find the salary cap numbers out of date, and I'm hoping that's the case with Minnesota on this one.

esoxx
01-26-2007, 03:49 PM
It also doesn't take into account that money will need to be allocated for '07 draft picks. Some of those teams will be over the cap. Still, it's no where near as bad as it used to be due to the large increase in the cap and the fact that most teams better understand the salary cap and budget accordingly, sans Washington.

Partial
01-26-2007, 03:56 PM
This is before teams resign their own players, too.

HarveyWallbangers
01-26-2007, 04:06 PM
The NFC North is in good shape. Chicago shouldn't have any problem resigning Lance Briggs.

Joemailman
01-26-2007, 04:36 PM

edit: actually, after looking at the numbers myself, we would gain about that much. you were right, my bad

I don't think we would gain that much. Favre still has 2.2 mil of his signing bonus left, so we would gain about 8-9 mil if he retires. IF KGB is cut before June 1, 4.7 mil of his signing bonus comes due, so we would gain about 1.8 mil. If Fergy is cut before June 1, 1.4 mil left on his signing bonus comes due, which I believe is his base salary, so we would gain nothing.

If Favre retires and KGB and Fergy are cut before June 1, I figure we pick up 10-11 in cap space. IF KGB and Fergy are cut after June 1, and Favre retires, I figure we pick up 14-15 mil. I'm sure Patler will shoot all this down, but that's his job. :D

GBRulz
01-26-2007, 04:59 PM
With the cap going up so much over the past two years, it's going to be a while before teams start having to cut players, aka "cap casualties" again.

All the more important for TT to get going with FA early and not sitting around for a week doing nothing, like last year.

BooHoo
01-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Do we really think we will sign anybody this off season? :lol:

red
01-26-2007, 05:44 PM
No problem i was typing while you were editing,did you see that bonus for Hawk on there the sight I was on lists it as RB which would be fucking amazing, think of that money next year. :shock:

yup, you're right, it is a roster bonus. i remember hearing about this last year when his contract was announced

TT played his cards right with hawk and woodson last year. he knew he had a ton of free space again coming up this year so instead of a massive signing bonus spreading the hit all over the place, he gave a big roster bonus, with the big hit in one year

TT knows how to manage a cap, you gotta give him that

Fritz
01-27-2007, 09:06 AM

It looks like a lot of teams are going to have about 20 mil to blow. I think the bidding will get crazy and TT will - wisely - refrain from throwing money around like it's monopoly money.

Look at the flippin' Redskins. They're about twenty bucks under the cap and have zero to show for it. Or did they go one and out in the playoffs last year or the year before? Sucks to be them!

ND72
01-27-2007, 09:11 AM
I heard John Clayton talking about this the other day, and he said Green Bay and San Fran are the only 2 teams that aren't going very "effected" by roster bonuses and so on like other teams. I could see a lot of those numbers change by March 1.

Lurker64
01-27-2007, 10:07 AM
Free agency is going to be interesting this offseason. A lot of teams have a lot of money, yet the cupboard is pretty bare. Other than Briggs, Clements, Freeney, and Samuel there's not a lot to get excited about and I fully expect Briggs and Freeney to stay where they are.

Brando19
01-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Do we really think we will sign anybody this off season? :lol:

I think we need to keep our expectations of signing guys like Taco Wallace, Carlton Brewster, and Billy Cundiff. :roll:

Fritz
01-27-2007, 10:48 AM
That's okay by me. As someone said earlier, there's not much quality that's going to be out there. And there's no sense in signing someone for big bucks just to say you signed someone.

Patler
01-27-2007, 11:41 AM

I don't think we would gain that much. Favre still has 2.2 mil of his signing bonus left, so we would gain about 8-9 mil if he retires. IF KGB is cut before June 1, 4.7 mil of his signing bonus comes due, so we would gain about 1.8 mil. If Fergy is cut before June 1, 1.4 mil left on his signing bonus comes due, which I believe is his base salary, so we would gain nothing.

If Favre retires and KGB and Fergy are cut before June 1, I figure we pick up 10-11 in cap space. IF KGB and Fergy are cut after June 1, and Favre retires, I figure we pick up 14-15 mil. I'm sure Patler will shoot all this down, but that's his job. :D

Somehow, over the past season, the information on Packer bonuses has become very inconsistent. Assuming the Packers made the cuts and Favre retires before June 1, the best that I can piece together is this:

Favre - approximately $10 million increased salary cap room
KGB - 1.8 million increase
Ferguson - $1.8 million

Total available cap increase about $13.6 million. However, Rodgers gets an automatic salary increase of something like $3 million if he becomes the starter, and you have to bring in another QB probably at around $1 million, so the net effect is about $10 million more in cap space to play with.

If KGB and Ferguson are cut after June 1, the increase in available cap for 2007 would be about $3.8 million more, which then would be charged against the 2008 cap.

These are just ballpark figures, and especially with Favre's are just my best guess. Normally reliable sources have the cap charge if he retires varying from about $800,000 to about $2.2 million.

Lurker64
01-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Might it be more prudent to hold off signing anybody for big bucks during free agency. I seem to recall that 2008 is a pretty decent free agent crop, but I can't find a list anywhere. I think Troy Polamalu, Larry Johnson (though he'll likely be signed this offseason), Jeremy Shockey and some others are free agents in '08.

digitaldean
01-27-2007, 02:09 PM
With that much cap space, the Packers should get a deal done to extend Harris' and Cullen Jenkins' contracts.

KGB had a down year and has most always been a liability on running plays. Fergy could be gone today, he has never really panned out (still bitter about passing up Chambers :x )

The current free agent pool is thin at best. Briggs will be re-signed. Samuel will either be franchised and/or re-signed for big bucks.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Minnesota will have about 23 million, I found this......

Show Me the Money

By Viking Update Staff

Posted Jan 26, 2007

The free agent season is more than a month away, but with 19 teams more than $21 million under the salary cap, there are going to be a ton of mega-buck deals signed once the flag drops and free agency begins in earnest.

Last year at this time, there was panic sweeping the NFL. Without a collective bargaining agreement extension in place, it was feared that 2007 would be an uncapped year and the league would turn into the wild, wild West – with teams able to spend whatever they chose and labor peace being put in severe jeopardy.

After delaying free agency twice, a deal was struck that assured there wouldn’t be a work stoppage, but it provided much more money for teams to work with under the salary cap – so much so that, with a month to go before the official start of free agency, 19 of the league’s 32 teams have more than $21 million in available salary cap space.

While the numbers below will be subject to change as players are signed, released and bonuses kick in, it looks to be an active free agent season. According to a report in the St. Petersburg Times, the Vikings are estimated to be more than $32 million under the salary cap. However, after the signings of linebacker E.J. Henderson and defensive tackle Kevin Williams in December, it is believed that number shrank to just over $23 million. Either way, they have the money under the cap to compete for whatever top players make it to market on March 2 if they choose. But they will have plenty of competition.

Here are the team-by-team salary cap totals, according to the report in the St. Petersburg Times. (In most other reports, the Vikings are thought to about $23 million under

http://vikings.scout.com/2/613210.html

red
01-28-2007, 12:16 PM

Somehow, over the past season, the information on Packer bonuses has become very inconsistent. Assuming the Packers made the cuts and Favre retires before June 1, the best that I can piece together is this:

Favre - approximately $10 million increased salary cap room
KGB - 1.8 million increase
Ferguson - $1.8 million

Total available cap increase about $13.6 million. However, Rodgers gets an automatic salary increase of something like $3 million if he becomes the starter, and you have to bring in another QB probably at around $1 million, so the net effect is about $10 million more in cap space to play with.

If KGB and Ferguson are cut after June 1, the increase in available cap for 2007 would be about $3.8 million more, which then would be charged against the 2008 cap.

These are just ballpark figures, and especially with Favre's are just my best guess. Normally reliable sources have the cap charge if he retires varying from about $800,000 to about $2.2 million.

i thought that 18 million looked a little big. but when i went to the old packers salary cap page, the numbers were right. and i think we're all using the same source there

for some reason i think the numbers have changed, i just thought it was because we got another year of PRSB under our belts

10 or 11 million is still a nice bit of money if all 3 go

Patler
01-28-2007, 01:27 PM
In all honesty, I do not expect Favre to retire.

I doubt the Packers will cut KGB. I think they will want to see how he can produce in a role as a situational player again. For better or worse, he is still the #3 DE on the roster. He has always stayed healthy, too, so that isn't a concern.

Unless the Packers draft and/or sign at least 3 very promising receivers, I expect Ferguson will be around for training camp too. Ferguson is more iffy than KGB, simply because of his injury history. GB might simply give up on him kind of like they did with Diggs last year..

They may end up paying KGB and Ferguson more than they would like too, but they really have no one to replace either one as players, especially KGB. For that reason I expect to see both at training camp this summer.

SD GB fan
01-28-2007, 03:09 PM
They may end up paying KGB and Ferguson more than they would like too, but they really have no one to replace either one as players, especially KGB. For that reason I expect to see both at training camp this summer.

unfortunately true. still tho, both are hard workers. its not like they arent performing cos they are lazy asses. too bad things just dont work out for some players. i think KGB will be alright in his new role, if not better. but i dont have a lot of hope for ferguson. the past 3-4 seasons have been "this is my breakout year" situations and each time he hasnt stepped up. he has the physical tools, he just cant seem to translate his talents onto the field. but as patler said, he will probably be around (at least for training camp) just because there arent clear candidates who have separated themselves to fill the WR positions. martin and holiday all have shown flashes, but so has ferguson. all of these guys are only servicable, not dependable, at this point, and they havent shown to be consistent contributors. hopefully, holiday martin and jenning all continue to develop. the management has been awfully patient with ferguson though.

prsnfoto
01-29-2007, 08:40 AM

I doubt the Packers will cut KGB. I think they will want to see how he can produce in a role as a situational player again. For better or worse, he is still the #3 DE on the roster. He has always stayed healthy, too, so that isn't a concern.

Unless the Packers draft and/or sign at least 3 very promising receivers, I expect Ferguson will be around for training camp too. Ferguson is more iffy than KGB, simply because of his injury history. GB might simply give up on him kind of like they did with Diggs last year..

I can't blame KGB for the fact they just gave him too much money, but the fact Ferguson has managed not only to stay on this team but get a new contract during this time speaks volumes why we have stunk and if he remains on the rooster there is little hope in the future. Lets be honest here he belongs with a list of former Packers in production Carroll,Thomas,M. Anderson,J. Reynolds, odds are some of them probably would have been more productive if given 5 years to prove anything yet Robert remains.

Patler
01-29-2007, 09:34 AM

I can't blame KGB for the fact they just gave him too much money, but the fact Ferguson has managed not only to stay on this team but get a new contract during this time speaks volumes why we have stunk and if he remains on the rooster there is little hope in the future. Lets be honest here he belongs with a list of former Packers in production Carroll,Thomas,M. Anderson,J. Reynolds, odds are some of them probably would have been more productive if given 5 years to prove anything yet Robert remains.

Ferguson was having a decent year and was the leader on kick coverage units the year he received an extension. He looked like he would develop into a decent receiver at the time. Ever since then he hasn't been able to stay healthy, and has regressed as a receiver.

CaliforniaCheez
01-29-2007, 12:41 PM
I think you will see the money spent but in a "conservative" fashion.

Jenkins likely will get big deal with roster bonus or high pay this year but reducing the number in later years. I estimate 5-6 million this season. Long term it is great for everyone.

Green will, I expect, have a one year deal with incentives. Budget about 3 million. No one else will pay that much.

Kendrick Allen - In this environment a guy like Allen can make a lot. 1.2-1.5? million.

Donald Lee should be re-signed to about 800K and Rob Davis though he will be paid 900K will count much less.

Cole, Herron, Humphrey, Holliday, will be signed for the minimum. They have no choice. About 1.5 million.

Then the draft picks will require about 5 million to sign.

That still leaves about 10 million in cap room. Assume 5 million later in the year to extend Barnett, that still leaves about 5 million in cap room that can be used in cutting Barry and still sign 2-3 moderate free agents like a KR, a replacement for Taylor, and perhaps a back up Center.

The cap room may seem like a lot but if spent on roster bonuses(hits cap only one season) instead of signing bonus(disbursed over the length of the contract) the money can be used up rather well and keep cap costs down in the future.