PDA

View Full Version : Long Snapper Try Out

CaliforniaCheez
01-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Anyone heard how the tryout went Wednesday for Taylor Inglis??

This guy from Edmonton can snap the ball well. He is 23 and has had an ACL injury to the right knee. The problem is his size. He is 6'2" 240 lbs.

He is not big enough to be a back up Center. He is strictly a long snapper.

His try out was Wednesday but the papers that cover the Packers have not mentioned it.

Well, I found this in the Edmonton paper:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Edmonton/2007/01/18/3400685-sun.html

But unfortunately for the Edmontonian, the Green Bay Packers haven't invited him for another visit this summer.

Although the 23-year-old long snapper performed well in his first ever NFL tryout for the famed club yesterday morning, he didn't earn a contract or spot at training camp.

"The coaches told me that they're re-signing their veteran (long snapper, Rob Davis) and maybe there will be room next season," said Inglis. "Obviously it is disappointing. I honestly thought I would get invited to (training) camp.

"But that is the way it goes. It is the NFL and it is competitive."

The Packers didn't issue any comments on Inglis's performance because club personnel only publicly talk about players under contract.

On his flight to the Wisconsin city on Tuesday, Inglis believed Davis wasn't going to be in the Packers' picture this year.

An 11-year NFL veteran, Davis is 38 years old and obviously in the twilight of his career.

In the option year of his current Edmonton Eskimos' contract with the ability to jump to the NFL, Inglis thought this was his big chance.

"And to snap under that kind of pressure (yesterday), definitely proved something to me - that I belonged there and I can play there," he commented.

"It is just the timing isn't right - and everybody knows it is all about timing."

But the day wasn't a complete writeoff.

"I sat in the (Packers) players' lounge watching the big screen and playing video games for about four hours," cracked Inglis.

"It was pretty cool to walk in the same halls as Brett Favre, (receiver) Donald Driver and even (punter) Jon Ryan.

"I got some pictures, even took some video of walking through the tunnel out onto Lambeau (Field)."

If for some reason Davis doesn't re-sign in the coming weeks, the door to the Packers could reopen.

There is also the possibility another NFL team might give Inglis a tryout before Feb. 15, which is when his window to the NFL closes for this year under the CFL contract rules.

But the former Edmonton Wildcat isn't going to be quickly sending any game film tapes to other American clubs.

The Packers experiment this week has him focused on achieving a couple of other goals before looking south again.

"This makes me want to come home and tear up the CFL (this coming season), finish my degree, get my life on ... and look at the free agent market next year in the NFL," he said from the Green Bay airport before his journey home to Edmonton last night.

Guiness
01-27-2007, 05:17 AM
Need to replace Rob Davis with another Canuck when the time comes!

You guys have seen the Edmonton Eskimos uni's right? Green and Gold, with a simple letter as the symbol. They're kindred spirits!

gbpackfan
01-27-2007, 06:53 AM
I dont see any need to replace Davis at this point. He is SOLID as a rock. You don't even notice his play, and that is a GOOD thing when it comes to a long snapper.

Fritz
01-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Rob Davis will be the long snapper until he's like 62 years old. Crazy. Imagine a 62-year-old face in the team pics. Imagine the guy with his Grandpa man-boobs in the locker room, rinsing off his false teeth. Hilarious.

gbpackfan
01-27-2007, 09:14 AM
Imagine a guy with grandpa man boobs? What is wrong with you? HA HA! I think I'll imagine some hot woman boobs instead! :P

Fritz
01-27-2007, 10:36 AM
Nothing wrong with me as far as that. But next time you imagine a hot woman's boobs be careful that image of grandpa man-boobs doesn't slip into your fantasy and wreck it all...

Iron Mike
01-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Rob Davis will be the long snapper until he's like 62 years old. Crazy. Imagine a 62-year-old face in the team pics. Imagine the guy with his Grandpa man-boobs in the locker room, rinsing off his false teeth. Hilarious.

HAHAHAHA!!! You owe me a new keyboard!!!! :worship: