PDA

View Full Version : What Is Ted Really Up To?

Scott Campbell
04-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Reasonable Explanations Of Strategy

There are some reasonable people here that have decided that Ted is not getting the job done. Yet I haven't seen very many explanations of what people think his real strategy is, other than to say "he's cheap". Most of what I read is merely complaints. Well I think as reasonable people, we can all admit that being cheap isn't at all likely as his real strategy. Calling him cheap is just a cop out so that you don't have to try and figure out what's really going on. There's obviously a lot more to it.

So why then? What is he really up to? What could be the detailed reasons for this approach?

p.s. For Tank.

Being gay, hibernating or being a tightwad are not detailed GM strategies. Please put a little thought into this, instead of just crying (Ron) wolf.

Tarlam!
04-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Scott, TT has ben very up front about his strategy. From day 1 it was clear that he was building through the draft agressively and in FA selectively.

He has admitted making strong efforts to get a couple of FAs. They decided to go elswhere.

He has rewarded guys like Kampy. He has given Green and Davenport opportunities to showcase themselves.

He has acted in exactly the way he said he would.

MJZiggy
04-23-2006, 10:53 AM
I think TT's strategy is fairly obvious, it's just that no one wants to hear it. He intends to build this team mainly through the draft--which means drafting for sheer talent at the top and trading around and finding sleeper talent in the later rounds. With this in mind, I don't think he's agonizing over the #5 pick as some "journalists" are assuming. He knows who he wants and unless someone offers him something incredible for that pick, he will keep it. Later rounds are not so definite. He will likely do a lot of trading around and come up with a decent class like he did last year. Once he's done with that, he will fill some holes with cuts and camp bodies, carefully evaluating each one before final cutdowns.

He will look for value in the vets--unrealized potential in younger players when possible and when not possible, looking to older vets for shorter term contracts. I think he learned from the Wahle business and in the future will handle those situations differently, though I don't anticipate him being that cash-strapped again. He is not going to cave to people. He will continue building the team regardless of JWalk wants or Favre decides or the fans think he should be doing. He will take one step forward at a time regardless of what anyone thinks.

MJZiggy
04-23-2006, 10:56 AM
p.s. For Tank.

Being gay, hibernating or being a tightwad are not detailed GM strategies. Please put a little thought into this, instead of just crying (Ron) wolf.

Also, I have read the word 'dismantle' so many times, I just stop reading when I come to it as it just seems to invalidate the rest of the argument.

Scott Campbell
04-23-2006, 11:02 AM
I read in another thread that a scout said the Packers need a CB, Safety, 2 Linebackers, DE, 2 Guards, Center, #1 WR, Punter, Kicker and a Kick Returner - and maybe a QB. Add it up - it's 13 players. It's hard to argue against that list, as all those positions are suspect to some degree. That is a lot, A LOT of holes to fill. $19M doesn't look like that much money when you have 13 holes.

So maybe you need quantity over quality right now. And maybe you need to save the cap space for next year, for those positions where your quantity strategy doesn't pan out. Right now it's tough to anticipate which of your gambles won't work out, so you don't try and anticipate which remaining holes you'll have until you get to watch this years roster evolve. Hopefully we'll have a much smaller number of holes to fill next year, and thanks to Ted, we'll still have the cap flexibility to fill them.

The other issue that completely changed the game for the Packers was the new CBA. Had it not been in place, the Packers would have been one of just a handful of teams with any money to spend this free agency period. We could have gotten good value for our money. Instead, everybody went into this free agency period with ridiculous amounts of money to spend, and the same number of players were available. Increased demand + same supply = rising prices. Teams like the Redskins got to bid up players, and many of these contracts are way out of whack for a team like ours with this many holes. You can't afford to overpay anyone when you have this many holes to fill. You can afford to get crazy with one or two free agents if that's all you need to compete for a Superbowl. Unfortunately, were not in that position. Not this year.

This is all I can think of that makes any kind of sense. And being cheap is not part of this strategy.

Scott Campbell
04-23-2006, 11:04 AM
Also, I have read the word 'dismantle' so many times, I just stop reading when I come to it as it just seems to invalidate the rest of the argument.

Good point. Sometimes I think people are just venting and don't want to put any thought into trying to really figure out what's going on.

Scott Campbell
04-23-2006, 11:06 AM
I think TT's strategy is fairly obvious, it's just that no one wants to hear it. He intends to build this team mainly through the draft--which means drafting for sheer talent at the top and trading around and finding sleeper talent in the later rounds. With this in mind, I don't think he's agonizing over the #5 pick as some "journalists" are assuming. He knows who he wants and unless someone offers him something incredible for that pick, he will keep it. Later rounds are not so definite. He will likely do a lot of trading around and come up with a decent class like he did last year. Once he's done with that, he will fill some holes with cuts and camp bodies, carefully evaluating each one before final cutdowns.

He will look for value in the vets--unrealized potential in younger players when possible and when not possible, looking to older vets for shorter term contracts. I think he learned from the Wahle business and in the future will handle those situations differently, though I don't anticipate him being that cash-strapped again. He is not going to cave to people. He will continue building the team regardless of JWalk wants or Favre decides or the fans think he should be doing. He will take one step forward at a time regardless of what anyone thinks.

I think your explanation is entirely plausible. It certainly passes the "reasonable" threshold. Well done.

I think you're also right about not caring what anyone thinks. A big name free agency signing would do a lot to quiet the natives. But that doesn't fit with what appears to be his strategy.

Some would call that stubborn. I'd call it resolve.

Patler
04-23-2006, 11:37 AM
The other issue that completely changed the game for the Packers was the new CBA. Had it not been in place, the Packers would have been one of just a handful of teams with any money to spend this free agency period. We could have gotten good value for our money. Instead, everybody went into this free agency period with ridiculous amounts of money to spend, and the same number of players were available. Increased demand + same supply = rising prices. Teams like the Redskins got to bid up players, and many of these contracts are way out of whack for a team like ours with this many holes. You can't afford to overpay anyone when you have this many holes to fill. You can afford to get crazy with one or two free agents if that's all you need to compete for a Superbowl. Unfortunately, were not in that position. Not this year.

Scott; I agree, except for a detail. Because the salary cap went up so much, the supply of FAs was smaller than expected. There really were no "cap casualties", players that a team did not want to cut but had to cut to get under the cap. For example, it was widely expected that Denver had built a roster capable of only a one year run, because in the offseason they would release a lot of players to get under the cap. They did not have to do that.

Regarding TT's strategy, I like TT's conservative style. He is not going to overpay for a player just because he has the money. It makes no sense to pay more for a player than you determine he is worth. Might as well save the money, and flow it through to next year when there may be more players deserving it. To over pay players is building for mediocrity. Doing what TT appears to be doing, getting value for his money, may result in a few less wins this year or next, but in the long runs it builds a roster capable of a real chance to get to the Super Bowl. It also builds a team with depth that can sustain itself as a playoff threat for more than just a year or two

RashanGary
04-23-2006, 01:01 PM

You are an impressive poster Ziggy. Nobody knows right now exactly what is going to happen or if it's going to work but I think you've outlined Ted's philosophy about as good as one can with one paragraph.

If someone is looking for a pre-determined "This is the moves we're going to make" strategy, then they won't get one. The strategy is being flexible and opportunistic as well as thorough in his personnel work. Thompson has been quoted by Gil Brandt as being one of the most thorough GM's in the buis. He is a very good talent scout and has a big board that Brandt believes will be very accurate and among the best in the league. The very first thing that Ted is doing is making sure he has an accurate read of the talent in the draft. Not just the top 5 but the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounders that are harder to hit on as well. This is also evident by Thompson not wasting a visit on top players who he already has enough game tape and info on.

When it comes to draft strategy, Thompson will first have his board together and in order of best player first not in order of need first. Thompson wants to be both oppertunistic and flexible. He's stated that he believes you gain the best talent by picking the best players. He's listed multiple circumstances where picking the player of need blew up in teams faces. So he's not going to take a player just because they need him right now. So the strategy is that there is no plan or set in stone path to follow. He will take each situation as it comes up and through, great preparation and a belief that taking the best players at each position, he will end up with a group of players that he believes are the best possible at those positions. It might be a CB. It might be a OG. It might be a WR but it's not going to be planned. If your looking for some TT guide to building the team your not going to get one. He’s going to take the best players and nobody even he can predict that.

The players he cannot fill through the draft he will again fall back on his hard work and preparation and fill positions by first calling guys who were undrafted but he knows have talent like Roy Manning last year. He’ll then go to the other avenues of risk free players like players who have been cut like Lee and Gado or Canadian punters and so on. He doesn’t believe in paying 5 times as much for a player who is only slightly better than the other guy. He’s not going to panic and fill a hole with players who’s salary will ultimately take away from other positions. It’s not being “cheapâà ¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚. It’s being value conscious. He’s going to get the very most out of his 100 mil per year and he believes that paying too much for talent hurts that cause.

It’s not a set in stone strategy. In the draft he wants to get the most talented players at each draft position. He doesn’t want to take an average LB when he could have gotten a superstar S as an example.

In FA it’s a matter of using $$ in a way that will help the team. Javon Walker is a great player. He’s even greater at 1 mil per year. If he was making 20 mil per year he would be taking money from the Kamps, Picketts, Cliftons, ect.......and the Packers would have their star reciever but the fact that he was overpaid would be taking away from the rest of the team. That was an exaggerated example of how overpaying hurts but if he overpays just a little each off season it will add up to be one big mistake. The big mistake was the panic driven mentality that ultimately caused your team to have less talent. So to your assumption that Thompson is being “Cheapâà ¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚ well that is just not the case. It’s called being smart and using his cap as wisely as possible. If he drafts well he’s going to have a lot of up and coming players who need $$ and right now we have too much but eventually if Thompson does his job we won’t have enough. If we’re lucky it will be because we have so much talent on our roster that it’s impossible to pay for it. If we’re unlucky it will be because we spent too much for our average players. Get the picture?

RashanGary
04-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Great post Shamrock......

MacCool606
04-23-2006, 01:24 PM
If you compare what TT is doing with what Wolf did early on, it is very similar. Wolf picked up several "plan B" free agents that halped increase the talent level of the bench (and special teams). TT is doing that through 2nd tier free agents. If you get lucky, like wolf did with some (I think Frank Winters was a plan B F/A?), you look like a genius. If you don't (Klemm last year) you look like a fool.

Doubters have to realize that the perspective is a little different for TT than for Wolf. TT is rebuilding after a very successful run where failures are harder to take, and successes (Collins, Gado, Montgomery (?) and Poppinga (?) mabe Whiticker (sp ?) are overshadowed by the 4 - 12 record. Wolf came after years of mediocre .500 teams and the improvements were easier to spot.

For all of Tank's rants about what a great GM Sherman was, I find it hard to believe we have so many holes to fill. According to "an executive from another NFL team", in an article in the JS tday, the only positions we don't need someone are Off. Tackle and TE. That's great.

Packers4Ever
04-23-2006, 01:34 PM

Good point. Sometimes I think people are just venting and don't want to put any thought into trying to really figure out what's going on.

And I'm getting sick of hearing "building for_______" Too easy a term to come up with but then, it is all-inclusive.
Oh and one other thing, I may sound naive here but shouldn't the GM and HC appear on TV news or sports' channels at least ONCE in a while? It certainly couldn't hurt their PR, could it? They just seem so inaccessible.

Not that the PB has a magnetic personality, mind you..... :wink:

Judy

CyclonePackFan
04-23-2006, 01:41 PM

And I'm getting sick of hearing "building for_______" Too easy a term to come up with but then, it is all-inclusive.
Oh and one other thing, I may sound naive here but shouldn't the GM and HC appear on TV news or sports' channels at least ONCE in a while? It certainly couldn't hurt their PR, could it? They just seem so inaccessible.

Not that the PB has a magnetic personality, mind you..... :wink:

Judy

We've been spoiled, Ron Wolf and Mike Sherman were two people who didn't mind talking to the media and letting the whole world know what they had in mind. LOTS of coaches (two that come to mind right off the top of my head are Bill Belichek and Nick Saban) don't think the media needs to konw every little detail about the team and their plans.

MJZiggy
04-23-2006, 01:44 PM
The other issue that completely changed the game for the Packers was the new CBA. Had it not been in place, the Packers would have been one of just a handful of teams with any money to spend this free agency period. We could have gotten good value for our money. Instead, everybody went into this free agency period with ridiculous amounts of money to spend, and the same number of players were available. Increased demand + same supply = rising prices.

It's increased demand, certainly, but also consider that had the CBA not passed, there would have been far more players on the market when teams had to cut good players to get back under the cap. Remember when we were all drooling considering some of the people that would have been cut had the cap not risen so dramatically! I wonder if everyone would have been screaming this loud had the cap not risen and TT could have had his pick of players at reasonable prices.

edit: just realized I said about the same thing as Shamrock. Great minds!! :razz:

Scott Campbell
04-23-2006, 02:01 PM
Scott; I agree, except for a detail. Because the salary cap went up so much, the supply of FAs was smaller than expected. There really were no "cap casualties", players that a team did not want to cut but had to cut to get under the cap. For example, it was widely expected that Denver had built a roster capable of only a one year run, because in the offseason they would release a lot of players to get under the cap. They did not have to do that.

Good point. I stand corrected. Though the result was largely the same - an imbalance of demand with respect to supply. Prices shot up.

RashanGary
04-23-2006, 02:11 PM
I like this place because you can find people who see things in a similar light. Most of the Packer fans right now are blameing TT but you can come to a place like this filled with die hards and find a group who sees things a little differently.

I really repect Cliff and McGinn's views. Are they always right? NO but for the most part they do a very good job. Everyone knows that it is a tough battle going into the future without a franchise QB but most writers agree that what Thompson is doing is the right way to build. These guys have been covering the NFL for a number of years. They've talked to scouts, coaches and players. They've been studying the NFL in a way that we could not possibly have been in tuned to untill the internet became so huge. I think the fact that our thoughts are closer to the professionals thoughts is evidence that the anti-TT sentiment is just premature at this point and completely unwarranted.

RashanGary
04-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Not only that guys but the revenue sharing went up. There were teams like Arizona, Minnesota, Cincinatti who didn't have the revenue even if they wanted to use the full cap. They've been opperating under the cap for years because they had to. Now with the new CBA it's like 5 teams just won the lottery and they went out to spend it like kids in a candy store. This was looking like one of the best possible FA markets for GB and turned out to be possibly the worste.

Patler
04-23-2006, 03:07 PM
I keep thinking back to a TT interview about this time last year, maybe a little earlier. He said he had finished reviewing tapes from all the 2004 games and evaluating the roster. He said the team was "a little different" than he had expected. That was the first clue to me that he felt the roster needed a significant overhaul. I think he realized then that there was not a lot of depth, and the team may not be as good as their recent record indicated. They suffered from "victory inflation" from playing in a very weak division for years.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-24-2006, 02:40 AM
Reasonable Explanations Of Strategy
p.s. For Tank.

Tell me, if Thompson is not cheap than what the fuck is he?

Bypassing Wahle for Klemm? Thats cheap. Bypassing Darius for Little? Thats cheap. Bypassing Sharper for Freeman? That's cheap. Bypassing Hutchinson with $35 mil to spend? That's cheap. Bypassing John Abraham with $35 mil to spend? Thats cheap. Let see, who eles thompson bypassed by being cheap: Arrington, Archuleta, Larry Allen (age is a concern but is 10X better then the guards the Packers have; shouldve been given a 1 year, above the market deal), Bently, Andre Carter, Edgerrin James, Keyshown Johnson, Terrell Ownes, Joe Jurevicius, RW McQuarters, Atwaan Randle Rl, Vanderjajt, Vinatieri, Charles Woodson.

Any GM with $35 mil wouldve signed atleast 4 of the 06 free agents mentioned above. Unless, of course, that GM is cheap....like Ted Thompson.

BTW, when I use the phase "that gay GM", that is an analogy for, "ted thompson cannot not judge talent, nor acquire exceptional talent because he only signs players who are willing to sleep with him...like Arturo Freeman and Matt ODwayer. Therefore, in theory, saying that Thompson is gay is consistent with his GM strategy of signing players only to cut them later when the sex wears out.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-24-2006, 02:59 AM
Scott, TT has ben very up front about his strategy. From day 1 it was clear that he was building through the draft agressively and in FA selectively.

He has admitted making strong efforts to get a couple of FAs. They decided to go elswhere.

He has rewarded guys like Kampy. He has given Green and Davenport opportunities to showcase themselves.

He has acted in exactly the way he said he would.

Tarlam, you have to wake up and smell the coffee!!! Thompson kept saying he wants to build through the draft, but its crystal clear that gay gm is only using the draft to hide his failures in free agency. Thompson is trying to buy time since rookies usually take time to develop. But at what costs? The cost of an early Favre retirement. The cost of 4-12.

Signing Green to a 1 year contract after everything he has given to the Pack, is well, cheap.

To be a good GM, you have to have be able to lure marquee free agents to your team. In that aspect, thompson is a bitch to the very bitch. In other words, Thompson is like a coach at a D1 college whose personality keeps blue chip recruits away. Consequently, the team suffer. In the Packers case, 4-12. Thompson deserves to be fired.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-24-2006, 03:07 AM

Hey! The word "dismantle" is credible. I first used it in my poem "How to dismantle a Playoffs Team" (got the idea from U2's 'how to dismantle a atomic bomb'), and then Bob McGinn of jsonline used it in one of his article (McGinn indicated that Thompson dismantle the Packers' offense).

That word is livid and truthful and dismantling the Packers is exactly what Thompson has done thus far. As long as Favre is still at or near the top of his game, there isnt any need to rebuild. Unfortunately, that gay gm is rebuilding. Hence, he is "dismantling" the Pack.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-24-2006, 03:16 AM
I read in another thread that a scout said the Packers need a CB, Safety, 2 Linebackers, DE, 2 Guards, Center, #1 WR, Punter, Kicker and a Kick Returner - and maybe a QB. Add it up - it's 13 players. It's hard to argue against that list, as all those positions are suspect to some degree. That is a lot, A LOT of holes to fill. $19M doesn't look like that much money when you have 13 holes.

So maybe you need quantity over quality right now. And maybe you need to save the cap space for next year, for those positions where your quantity strategy doesn't pan out. Right now it's tough to anticipate which of your gambles won't work out, so you don't try and anticipate which remaining holes you'll have until you get to watch this years roster evolve. Hopefully we'll have a much smaller number of holes to fill next year, and thanks to Ted, we'll still have the cap flexibility to fill them.

This is all I can think of that makes any kind of sense. And being cheap is not part of this strategy.

Thanks to ted thompson the Pack have $35 million this year? You said it yourself, that gay GM is only here a little bit more than a year. All Thompson did was cut 2 players, Wahle and Sharper, and did next to nothing in the 05 free agency period to be left with that much money.

The $35 mil should be credited to Mike Sherman, who managed the cap extremely well during his tenure. Sherman was creative and efficient as GM. Thompson is dull and dumb.

And that is the difference between playoffs and 4-12.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-24-2006, 03:30 AM
If you compare what TT is doing with what Wolf did early on, it is very similar. Wolf picked up several "plan B" free agents that halped increase the talent level of the bench (and special teams). TT is doing that through 2nd tier free agents. If you get lucky, like wolf did with some (I think Frank Winters was a plan B F/A?), you look like a genius. If you don't (Klemm last year) you look like a fool.

Doubters have to realize that the perspective is a little different for TT than for Wolf. TT is rebuilding after a very successful run where failures are harder to take, and successes (Collins, Gado, Montgomery (?) and Poppinga (?) mabe Whiticker (sp ?) are overshadowed by the 4 - 12 record. Wolf came after years of mediocre .500 teams and the improvements were easier to spot.

For all of Tank's rants about what a great GM Sherman was, I find it hard to believe we have so many holes to fill. According to "an executive from another NFL team", in an article in the JS tday, the only positions we don't need someone are Off. Tackle and TE. That's great.

Reggie White was NOT a "plan B." Sean Jones was NOT a "plan B" free agent. Santana Dotson was NOT a "plan B" free agent. You are baised you when you said Wolf was cheap when he first took over.

Why did the Packers have so many holes? Because that gay GM is dismantling the Pack!

How many times must i say this? When thompson took the throne last year, he had a TOP 3 offense and a defense with only 3 or 4 players away from being good.

Here's how Thompson dismentled the Pack: Wahle was cut. Rivera was not resigned. Thompson refuses to extend Walker's contract, and thus creating the shit today. Instead of drafting Mankins to replace Rivera, thompson took a QB that does not need to play right away. Instead of drafting a LB or DE or OG with his second 2nd rd pick, Thompson not only took Murphy but he did so without being fully aware of the recievers neck condiction. Sharper was cut. Freeman, thompson, Little, Navies, Thomas all were signed for the defense; is any of those fucking players standout players?

I wont even spell check this post cos im so mad now. How could you people be so blind?

Anti-Polar Bear
04-24-2006, 03:40 AM

Good point. I stand corrected. Though the result was largely the same - an imbalance of demand with respect to supply. Prices shot up.

The inflated cap of the new CPA also benifit the Packers, not just other teams. Say Green Bay have $35 mil and the NY Gaints $10 mil. Both want Laver Arrington. Which team have more financial leverage? The Packers.

Only the Vikings started with more money than the Pack. Washington have less money and they did more than Green Bay.

The bottom line is Thompson is incompetent and sucks at luring the elites to Green Bay. That is a flaw that will continue to haunt the Pack as long as Thompson is GM, and Brett Favre said it himself.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-24-2006, 03:49 AM
My rants started on page 1 so be sure to read them.

CyclonePackFan
04-24-2006, 04:29 AM

Reggie White was NOT a "plan B." Sean Jones was NOT a "plan B" free agent. Santana Dotson was NOT a "plan B" free agent. You are baised you when you said Wolf was cheap when he first took over.

Why did the Packers have so many holes? Because that gay GM is dismantling the Pack!

How many times must i say this? When thompson took the throne last year, he had a TOP 3 offense and a defense with only 3 or 4 players away from being good.

Here's how Thompson dismentled the Pack: Wahle was cut. Rivera was not resigned. Thompson refuses to extend Walker's contract, and thus creating the shit today. Instead of drafting Mankins to replace Rivera, thompson took a QB that does not need to play right away. Instead of drafting a LB or DE or OG with his second 2nd rd pick, Thompson not only took Murphy but he did so without being fully aware of the recievers neck condiction. Sharper was cut. Freeman, thompson, Little, Navies, Thomas all were signed for the defense; is any of those fucking players standout players?

I wont even spell check this post cos im so mad now. How could you people be so blind?

Tank,

1.) I don't know where you are, but where I am, it's 4:30 a.m. Who in their right mind is up at this hour on a Sunday night/Monday morning :wink:
2.) Why would Ted Thompson dismantle his team? To actually do so will not only get him fired, but it is career suicide.
3.) Not working harder to get Wahle was a mistake, I'll give you that one. However, GB would have been outbid by Carolina anyway, the cap was screwed on so tight there was no way we could compete. Also, if we HAD resigned Wahle, we wouldn't have had the cap room to sign some of those emergency replacements during the year when everyone got injured.
4.) I'd rather have a QB who has time to sit on the bench and learn the nuances of NFL play from a legend than have Favre retire and then draft a QB to be sacrificed to the wolves his first year.
5.) Last years signings: See #3, no cap room to sign impact players.
6.) With the advent of the franchise/transition tag, it's not often there's a player out in FA who's gonna have the impact of a Reggie White. If they're out there, there's a reason (injury prone, locker room issues, etc.)
7.) Walker had one good year and probably wanted way more than he was worth. The trend in the modern NFL is to avoid overpaying players. See: Philadelphia and New England (When's the last time the Pats made an impact signing? Corey Dillon?)
8.) Sure, we had a top 3 offense two years ago, but it's not a fair comparison to make with a team last year that was destoyed by injury. Take away 4 RB's, 3 WR's and various other positions from the Steelers and I guarantee they don't make the playoffs, much less win the Super Bowl.
9.) Terrence Murphy's condition, spinal stenosis, is a rare problem that doesn't show up in the typical physical, it has to be searched for, most commonly after a neck/shoulder injury. A GM typically has no way of knowing about the condition until after an injury.
Oh, and two players who also played with stenosis who had a little success in the NFL: LeRoy Butler and Michael Irvin.
10.) I'm tired and out of arguing points. I doubt if anything I said will change your stance, but whatever, you're entitled to your opinion. I just needed something to take my mind off of homework.

packrulz
04-24-2006, 05:05 AM
Right now TT has 3 1st day picks, 5th, 36th, & 67th, all high picks in each round. Imagine if he turns that into 6 or more 1st day picks, he's going to need that cash to get them all signed & then use up what money is left on FA's.

Patler
04-24-2006, 06:49 AM

The inflated cap of the new CPA also benifit the Packers, not just other teams. Say Green Bay have $35 mil and the NY Gaints $10 mil. Both want Laver Arrington. Which team have more financial leverage? The Packers.

Only the Vikings started with more money than the Pack. Washington have less money and they did more than Green Bay.

The bottom line is Thompson is incompetent and sucks at luring the elites to Green Bay. That is a flaw that will continue to haunt the Pack as long as Thompson is GM, and Brett Favre said it himself.

A-PB; Apparently you missed the whole point of the posts that you quoted. I mentioned that the CBA going up as much as it did affected the amount of FAs that were available. Teams did not have to release players just to get under the cap. Most years several teams are in that situation, and some very good players become available because of it. SC agreed and related it to the basic cupply and demand principle, and price inflation.

MJZiggy
04-24-2006, 07:22 AM
Tank' an econ major. How can you expect him to understand basic supply and demand?? :wink:

Anti-Polar Bear
04-24-2006, 08:32 AM
Tank' an econ major. How can you expect him to understand basic supply and demand?? :wink:

Basic principles of supply and demand is simple. As prices increase, demand decrease; when demand exceed supply, prices increases; when supply exceed demand, price decreases. Equilibrium occurs at the point of interception between the supply and demand curve.

"A-PB; Apparently you missed the whole point of the posts that you quoted. I mentioned that the CBA going up as much as it did affected the amount of FAs that were available. Teams did not have to release players just to get under the cap. Most years several teams are in that situation, and some very good players become available because of it. SC agreed and related it to the basic cupply and demand principle, and price inflation."

If you have 2nd most money available and you are getting your ass kicked by the Washington Redskins in free agency, then you are at a disadvantage competitively. In the free agency market, the highest bidder usually win the service of quality players. The more money you have, the better are your chances. Thompsons refusal to outbids other teams continues to hurt the Packers.

The supply of free agents this year is not handicapped by the lack of supply. How many quality fa from that list couldve been signed by thompson, who again, have $35 mil?

John Abraham DE UFA 6-4 258 6 NY Jets Falcons Insiders Only
Sam Adams DT Released 6-4 335 12 Bills Bengals Insiders Only
Keith Adams LB UFA 5-11 223 5 Eagles Panthers Insiders Only
Sam Aiken WR RFA 6-2 204 3 Bills Bills Insiders Only
Brent Alexander S Released 5-11 200 12 NY Giants Insiders Only
Darnell Alford OG UFA 6-4 325 4 Rams Insiders Only
James Allen LB UFA 6-2 245 4 Saints Saints Insiders Only
Ian Allen OG UFA 6-4 313 4 Cardinals Insiders Only
Kenderick Allen DT RFA 6-6 315 3 NY Giants Insiders Only
Larry Allen OG Released 6-3 325 12 Cowboys 49ers Insiders Only
Will Allen CB UFA 5-10 196 5 NY Giants Dolphins Insiders Only
Mike Alstott RB UFA 6-1 248 10 Buccaneers Buccaneers Insiders Only