PDA

View Full Version : Free Agents

Brando19
01-27-2007, 12:15 PM
I have a list of some guys I'm pretty sure are going to be Free Agents. Could someone tell me if they will indeed be available for takin' and which one's would you like to see in a Packer uniform.

Michael Turner/San Diego/ RB
Kevin Curtis/ St. Louis/ WR
Drew Bennett/ Tennessee/ WR
Daniel Graham/ New England/ TE
Leonard Davis/ Arizona/ OT
Eric Steinbach/ Cincinnati/ G
Dwight Freeney/ Indianapolis/ DE
Justin Smith/ Cincinnati/ DE
Shaun Phillips/ San Diego/ OLB
Asante Samuel/ New England/ CB
Gibril Wilson/ New York Giants/ S
Ken Hamlin/ Seattle/ S

BallHawk
01-27-2007, 12:25 PM
I'd love to get Daniel Graham. He's a smart and tough TE, which we desperately lack.

I'd also be very pleased if we got Ken Hamlin. He's the anti-Darren Sharper. He won't get you all the INTs, but he's going to do his job when you need him to.

Lurker64
01-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Well, Turner is an RFA and I heard that the chargers were going to try to trade him for draft picks (the rumor is to one of the NY teams.) He's a pretty good inside runner, but not a superstar.

Curtis and Bennett have both stated that they'd like to stay where they are, but after all this is a business and since they're really the only decent FA WRs out there, they'll end up getting paid a lot more than they're worth.

Freeney is almost certainly going to get signed or franchised.

Samuel is an excellent talent, and my guess is that the Pats will try to keep him but if he becomes available I'd be very happy to get him.

Davis is a huge lumbering behemoth and so wouldn't fit our blocking system, but a good player. He won't even get a look from us. I don't know much about Steinbach.

Charles Woodson
01-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Id be happy with samuels

Brando19
01-27-2007, 12:41 PM
I read that Steinbach is easily the top offensive lineman in free agency and one of the better young players at his position in the league.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-27-2007, 01:50 PM
Shaun Phillips I think had 10 sacks this year. He would be an upgrade over Pop., however I'm not sure if he fits our system though.

HarveyWallbangers
01-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Shaun Phillips I think had 10 sacks this year. He would be an upgrade over Pop., however I'm not sure if he fits our system though.

Doesn't San Diego play a 3-4 defense, and Phillips primarily an OLB that rushes a lot from the 3-4? Not sure he'd be a good fit for what the Packers want in their LBs. A lot of mistakes are made in FA when getting guys that don't fit the scheme.

Lurker64
01-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Doesn't San Diego play a 3-4 defense, and Phillips primarily an OLB that rushes a lot from the 3-4? Not sure he'd be a good fit for what the Packers want in their LBs. A lot of mistakes are made in FA when getting guys that don't fit the scheme.

I thought Merriman was the pass-rushing OLB in San Diego. Then again, they blitz an awful lot in that defense.

]{ilr]3
01-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Freeney is almost certainly going to get signed or franchised.

I would like to see Freeney playing for the Pack.

Does Indy have anymoney left after paying Manning and Harrison? :shock:

Franchising a DE can be pretty spendy

KYPack
01-27-2007, 09:43 PM
I read that Steinbach is easily the top offensive lineman in free agency and one of the better young players at his position in the league.

You are corrrect, sir.

He will never be a Packer. If Cincy doesn't hit him with a tag (50-50 on that occvurance) he will be the top $ OL .

TT invested high picks in last years OL. If he were to sign Steinbach, he'd be admitting a level of failure & I doubt he'll do that.

b bulldog
01-27-2007, 09:53 PM
From what I've read, Turner to the Jets for their number one pick is pretty much a done deal.

Lurker64
01-27-2007, 10:19 PM
TT invested high picks in last years OL. If he were to sign Steinbach, he'd be admitting a level of failure & I doubt he'll do that.

It would especially not make sense because none of the three OL we picked in the last draft have given any indication of not having the potential to be a decent NFL starter someday. None of them are pro-bowlers, but they have a lot of room to get better, and they've shown steady improvement.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-27-2007, 10:56 PM

It would especially not make sense because none of the three OL we picked in the last draft have given any indication of not having the potential to be a decent NFL starter someday. None of them are pro-bowlers, but they have a lot of room to get better, and they've shown steady improvement.

I think it's a little to early to be saying they won' be pro-bowlers. They played a lot better than Whale and Rivera did their rookie years and they turn out to be pro-bowlers. Colledge reminds me a little of Whale for some reason.

Ballboy
01-28-2007, 08:13 AM
Isn't Clemments from Bills a FA?

I'd like Samuel as well...I wonder if how he played vs Colts made him more money than he is actually worth?

Graham would also make me very happy. These two FA pick-ups would allow us to draft the best available player either being RB or DL

BallHawk
01-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Isn't Clemments from Bills a FA?

I'd like Samuel as well...I wonder if how he played vs Colts made him more money than he is actually worth?

Graham would also make me very happy. These two FA pick-ups would allow us to draft the best available player either being RB or DL

You are correct. Clements is a FA. Clements is one of those guys, however, who's reputation overshadows his actual play on the field. He does not deserve the type of money he wants, but no doubt some team will pay him that money.

Asante Samuel is a great CB, but he is going to get Champ Bailey type of money. I would make a ton more sense for TT to just throw some cash at Harris, which would still be a hell of a bargain for the best Bump-N-Run CB in the league.

And Graham would be a great pickup. He isn't used as much in NE because of Benjamin Watson, but he definitely can be what we hoped Franks could be.

BlueBrewer
01-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Bill Polian said Freeney isnt going anywhere

]{ilr]3
01-28-2007, 09:27 AM
Bill Polian said Freeney isnt going anywhere

He probably threatened Freeneys family if he doesnt stay with the team :shock:

Lurker64
01-28-2007, 11:05 AM
I think it's a little to early to be saying they won' be pro-bowlers. They played a lot better than Whale and Rivera did their rookie years and they turn out to be pro-bowlers. Colledge reminds me a little of Whale for some reason.

What I meant was "none of them are pro-bowlers" as opposed to "none of them will be pro-bowlers." I think it's fair to say Colledge, Spitz, and Moll didn't play at a pro-bowl level during their rookie years, but if they had I probably would have eaten my hat (which is a nice hat.) In retrospect, I probably should have appended a "yet" to the offending statement.

Brando19
01-28-2007, 11:24 AM
I have a couple more to throw out:

D.J. Hackett/Seattle/WR
Patrick Crayton/Dallas/WR
Wes Welker/Miami/WR
Jared Allen/Kansas City/DE
Adalius Thomas/Baltimore/OLB

Patriot LT
01-28-2007, 11:29 AM
I would pay Samuel over Harris because he is still young, We will be lucky to get 2 more years out of Harris, Samuel plays big in big games, so I don't mind throwing the money at him versus drafting a CB and hoping

Zool
01-28-2007, 11:35 AM
I have a couple more to throw out:

D.J. Hackett/Seattle/WR
Patrick Crayton/Dallas/WR
Wes Welker/Miami/WR
Jared Allen/Kansas City/DE
Adalius Thomas/Baltimore/OLBMight be nice to have Welker returning punts.

The Shadow
01-28-2007, 11:43 AM
I'd really like to see us get Adrian Peterson, backup Bear's running back.
He has no future in Chicago, with Jones & Benson ahead of him.
He would be an excellent addition to the running back corp + a huge upgrade on special teams.

Brando19
01-28-2007, 12:21 PM
I'd really like to see us get Adrian Peterson, backup Bear's running back.
He has no future in Chicago, with Jones & Benson ahead of him.
He would be an excellent addition to the running back corp + a huge upgrade on special teams.

Interesting.

BallHawk
01-28-2007, 01:14 PM
I agree with Shadow and Zool's commentary. Both would be solid additions to the team.

I love Adalius Thomas, but I wouldn't think he'd fit in our scheme, since he is more of a 3-4 Linebacker.

jmbarnes101
01-30-2007, 11:48 AM
I think TT should go after Asante Samuel, pay Al Harris some bonus money and move Charles Woodson to safety. You now have an outstanding secondary and possibly a top 5 defense.

I'd also get Jerramy Stevens in as he could give us the big play TE we haven't had since Chewy and KJ both left.

Zool
01-30-2007, 12:09 PM
But Woodson said before last season that he didnt want to be a safety.

SD GB fan
01-30-2007, 09:42 PM
i dont think we should move woodson to safety. he did just fine at corner last season, and i would rather not break the bank on samuel. samuel is a good corner but i doubt he will be worth the money teams will pay him. i would prefer blackmon and dendy to step up their game next season.

J-Rok
01-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Um, I don't know how to say this nicely, but oh well. Dendy just isn't good. Blackmon was out the whole year, so you can't count on him.

The Packers need a capable nickel.