PDA

View Full Version : O-Line Again...

Tarlam!
04-23-2006, 12:09 PM
What about Wells? Everyone keeps saying we need 3 new O-Liners inside, well, what about Wells? He played pretty decent football last year.

Also, Klemm is a Tackle. Why can't we move Tauscher to guard? I know he doesn't want to play guard, but, we need guards!

What about Whittiker? Are we saying he will never get better? Are we already giving up on the guy, though we know guards take a couple seasons to develop?

I think we'll surprise a lot of people with what we already have on our roster.

RashanGary
04-23-2006, 12:10 PM
I agree. It has to be a couple notches better than last season no matter what happens.

Tarlam!
04-23-2006, 12:10 PM
What about Barry? He'll finally get a shot at his real position!

Bretsky
04-23-2006, 04:13 PM
What about Wells? Everyone keeps saying we need 3 new O-Liners inside, well, what about Wells? He played pretty decent football last year.

Also, Klemm is a Tackle. Why can't we move Tauscher to guard? I know he doesn't want to play guard, but, we need guards!

What about Whittiker? Are we saying he will never get better? Are we already giving up on the guy, though we know guards take a couple seasons to develop?

I think we'll surprise a lot of people with what we already have on our roster.

Wells in unproven; my gut tells me he'll be alright but I think it's more fair to say we need 3 until they prove us wrong. I've said all along TT should be bringing in two starters and we can let Wells and the other unprovens or unseens from 2005 fight it out for the last spot. Klemm stinks. Not sure what I think about Barry. Tauscher excels at T and I have a hard time justifying putting a below average Tackle out there to move him back to guard. Just my one cent worth.

retailguy
04-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Wells in unproven; my gut tells me he'll be alright but I think it's more fair to say we need 3 until they prove us wrong. I've said all along TT should be bringing in two starters and we can let Wells and the other unprovens or unseens from 2005 fight it out for the last spot. Klemm stinks. Not sure what I think about Barry. Tauscher excels at T and I have a hard time justifying putting a below average Tackle out there to move him back to guard. Just my one cent worth.

Hell, Clifton and Tauscher were unproven at one point. Wells played pretty solidly at both guard and Center last year. Some even claimed he played better than Flanagan. Whittacker played pretty well for being a 7th round draft pick. I question whether he can move well enough for what they are now going to do, but doesn't his overall play give him a shot?

Klemm did not stink. While he wasn't suited to what they asked him to do, he played pretty well, especially at the end of the season. You cannot tell me that Gado could rack up the yards he did, if the line played as it did during the 1st detroit game.

Yes, I realize that they swapped Wells at LG, but Klemm played too. And was improved.

Bretsky
04-23-2006, 04:45 PM

Hell, Clifton and Tauscher were unproven at one point. Wells played pretty solidly at both guard and Center last year. Some even claimed he played better than Flanagan. Whittacker played pretty well for being a 7th round draft pick. I question whether he can move well enough for what they are now going to do, but doesn't his overall play give him a shot?

Klemm did not stink. While he wasn't suited to what they asked him to do, he played pretty well, especially at the end of the season. You cannot tell me that Gado could rack up the yards he did, if the line played as it did during the 1st detroit game.

Yes, I realize that they swapped Wells at LG, but Klemm played too. And was improved.

Man,

That avatar sure fits you; I'm jealous of your optomism.

Tauscher showed more in his first four games than either of these guys all season.

Green Bay's biggest mistake with Klemm was letting him pose as a starter as long as he did. Whittaker was dominated by any quality DT and seemed over his head throughout the season. I doubt the new system fits him well, but who knows. I think he was forcefed last year when he clearly didn't have starter ability even though GB chose to start him.

Yes, they all get shots. But Whittaker, Klemm, White, Coston....those are not guys to count on until they show you they can do it.........hence my belief that the Turtle should have upgraded more here.

esoxx
04-23-2006, 05:49 PM
I don't get the lovefest people have with Wells. I must have missed those games where he was overly impressive. He appeared overwhelmed at times with the bigger, bull rush types you find in the interior DL. Given his slight size that isn't likely to improve much. JAG in my view.

Whittacker was hot and cold. He doesn't seem suited to the zone blocking scheme as a knock on him last year was he was on the ground too much. Footwork is really magnified in this scheme. I'm hopeful someone like Coston will evolve. I suspect TT grabs a few interior OL in the draft too. Dan Buenning would have been nice last year but alas, he played for the Badgers and not welcome in GB. :twisted:

Guiness
04-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Barry seems to me like a potential future starter, and always will be.

Did Coston play a snap last year?

ND72
04-23-2006, 07:22 PM
i think wells will be a very solid center. he was way out of position playing guard. barry will be our starting RG next to Tauscher. i honestly think we only need to find 1 OL guy.

Deputy Nutz
04-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Wells has seen a lot of action in the last two years, and he hasn't been disappointing.

Whittacker could play guard in this system, he does have the size to play with the larger defensive tackles in the north, something that Wells doesn't have, but Whittacker needs to improve his foot work and get an attitude. Klemm is a back up that I am glad to have. He can step in and play tackle or guard if needed. Coston and White are a yet to prove anything in a Green Bay Packer uniform.

Joemailman
04-23-2006, 08:32 PM

Man,

That avatar sure fits you; I'm jealous of your optomism.

Tauscher showed more in his first four games than either of these guys all season.

Green Bay's biggest mistake with Klemm was letting him pose as a starter as long as he did. Whittaker was dominated by any quality DT and seemed over his head throughout the season. I doubt the new system fits him well, but who knows. I think he was forcefed last year when he clearly didn't have starter ability even though GB chose to start him.

Yes, they all get shots. But Whittaker, Klemm, White, Coston....those are not guys to count on until they show you they can do it.........hence my belief that the Turtle should have upgraded more here.

One reason why I am not as pessimistic as many about the OL is that a lot of the problems last year were due to coaching errors. As you said, Sherman left Klemm in the starting lineup too long, and Whitticker never should have been starting to begin with. In addition, I think they should have given Barry a shot at starting. When Jags came here, he said he thinks the Packers have more talent on the offensive line than he coached in Atlanta. I'm sure a lot of people :roll: when he said that. However, a lot of people scoffed last year when Jim Bates said he felt the talent here was good enough for the Packers to have a good defense. Turns out he was right and the sceptics were wrong.

I think it's also true that a lot of the problems in the running game had as much to do with the RB situation as the OL. I don't think Green was ever really healthy, and Davenport couldn't stay healthy. In the games in which Gado was the primary ball-carrier, the running game was actually quite respectable.

Partial
04-23-2006, 11:56 PM
I'm optomistic about the OL because I think they can address it with a few smart moves in the draft to trade down and still get their players. Davin Joseph and Eslinger would take our line from duds to studs within a season or two.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-24-2006, 02:13 AM
One reason why I am not as pessimistic as many about the OL is that a lot of the problems last year were due to coaching errors. As you said, Sherman left Klemm in the starting lineup too long, and Whitticker never should have been starting to begin with.

What other choice did Sherman have beside Klemm and Whitticker? As much as they stink, they were the best guards the Packers had last year. Blame it on Ted Thompson for not outbidding Carolina for Wahle; hell, if he had just opened up his checkbook and pay Wahle the 6 mil roster bonus, there would be no competition with any other team for Wahle's service.

Then in the draft, the Polar Bear waited until the 5th round to pick a OL. That is a mistake. Did he honestly think he can find quality OLs in rds 5-7? Logan Mankins was right under Thompson's nose. THompson passed Mankins up for the football wife.

Chad Hutchinson would be a Packer right now if Mike Sherman was still GM. Like always, thompson played it cheap and it cost the Pack another Pro Bowl OL.

Talk about fuck up. Ted Thompson is wholly to blame for the Packers struggle at OL.

Murphy37
04-24-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm optimistic about the chances of our existing O-lineman developing into something decent this year. But I still would have liked TT to have picked up at least one FA lineman to make damn sure we had the problem solved. Now the draft better be used to make damn sure the problem get's solved. Yes I hope our current cast of characters can do the job. I also hope that my wife comes home with a pefect set of double "D's", but I'm not counting on it. The point is, have a plan with an insurance policy in place in case plan A doesn't work. I can't count on my wife so I read "Bigguns" magazine like Al Bundy.

Bretsky
04-24-2006, 06:32 PM
One reason why I am not as pessimistic as many about the OL is that a lot of the problems last year were due to coaching errors. As you said, Sherman left Klemm in the starting lineup too long, and Whitticker never should have been starting to begin with.

What other choice did Sherman have beside Klemm and Whitticker? As much as they stink, they were the best guards the Packers had last year. Blame it on Ted Thompson for not outbidding Carolina for Wahle; hell, if he had just opened up his checkbook and pay Wahle the 6 mil roster bonus, there would be no competition with any other team for Wahle's service.

Then in the draft, the Polar Bear waited until the 5th round to pick a OL. That is a mistake. Did he honestly think he can find quality OLs in rds 5-7? Logan Mankins was right under Thompson's nose. THompson passed Mankins up for the football wife.

Chad Hutchinson would be a Packer right now if Mike Sherman was still GM. Like always, thompson played it cheap and it cost the Pack another Pro Bowl OL.

Talk about fuck up. Ted Thompson is wholly to blame for the Packers struggle at OL.

Tank,

I believe you mean Steve Hutchinson. Chad Hutchinson was a wandering QB with potential he never realized. Went to Dallas and then I think the Bears and hasn't cut it yet.

B

Scott Campbell
04-24-2006, 06:39 PM
B,

He still might be right. Chad Hutchinson could very well be a Packer right now if Sherman was still GM.

BooHoo
04-24-2006, 08:25 PM
TT didn't address the OLine in FA. So he must think the line is okay with a little help from the draft.