PDA

View Full Version : Trade Up For Peterson?!?

Partial
01-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Rumor has it Packers are in love with Peterson and are going to trade up to #8 to get him. WSSP was talking about it all day Friday afternoon.

How would you feel about this?

SD GB fan
01-28-2007, 02:58 PM
crappy

BallHawk
01-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Mixed feelings.

Peterson has a lot of talent and relatively a smart player, but he was used a LOT at Oklahoma and I worry if he has too much mileage on him.

SD GB fan
01-28-2007, 03:00 PM
werent we so in love with reggie bush as well? i dont remember him playing at lambeau cept in week 2 last season.

Lurker64
01-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Depends on what it costs us. If it's draft picks, I'm not really in favor of it. If it's a player who is expendable, I don't mind trading up. But I'd rather trade up for someone like Okoye than for Peterson.

MJZiggy
01-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Do you people honestly believe the TED THOMPSON is going to trade up for anybody???

Brando19
01-28-2007, 03:20 PM
I would rather trade up for Calvin Johnson....but I'd be real happy with Adrian Peterson.

BallHawk
01-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Rumor has it Packers are in love with Peterson and are going to trade up to #8 to get him. WSSP was talking about it all day Friday afternoon.

Also, were they saying this is something that could happen somewhere down the road or in the upcoming couple of days?

Rastak
01-28-2007, 03:27 PM
I would rather trade up for Calvin Johnson....but I'd be real happy with Adrian Peterson.

Either one of those guys is gonna cost most of your draft picks to get up far enough to grab them. I HIGHLY doubt Teddy does that.

BallHawk
01-28-2007, 03:31 PM
Maybe we can get rid of Fergy and KGB if Shermy is willing to take them.

Joemailman
01-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Ballhawk,

There is no guarantee that Peterson will be available with the 8th pick, so if a trade were to be made, it wouldn't be made unless Peterson is available after the Vikings pick at #7. At any rate, it would cost TT his 2nd round pick to make the deal, and that ain't gonna happen. This sounds like a rumor made up by someone who is bored out of his mind.

Brando19
01-28-2007, 03:41 PM

Either one of those guys is gonna cost most of your draft picks to get up far enough to grab them. I HIGHLY doubt Teddy does that.

Very true.

Rastak
01-28-2007, 03:47 PM

Very true.

Well, maybe Peterson slides a little but it would be pretty expensive. I think if the Vikings traded 3 spots up to get Johnson it would cost a 1 and a 2 and maybe either a 3 or a 4. Trading up from 16 would cost a fortune.

b bulldog
01-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Very slim chance of this happening. If this actually true, the rumuor wouldn't be out there at the moment. This may mean that they actually like Lynch better and hope that Peterson goes first.

BallHawk
01-28-2007, 04:49 PM
If I had a choice of trading up to the top 10 at the price of our 1st rounder I'd say no. This is a deep draft and we need depth more than playmakers, IMO.

Partial
01-28-2007, 04:50 PM
If I had a choice of trading up to the top 10 at the price of our 1st rounder I'd say no. This is a deep draft and we need depth more than playmakers, IMO.

It'd be swap firsts and give a second this year, or swap firsts and give a first next year.

Partial
01-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Personally, I would sit there for Dwayne Bowe. I would add him in the first if Okoye isn't available. I'd add a TE in the second if Olson from Miami or the ASU guy is available. I'd look to add another running back later on in the draft, and try and get a safety later on as well.

billy_oliver880
01-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Wasn't Cedric Benson the next Walter Payton for da Bears? Look at the huge accomplishments he has had with the bears. I don't think we need someone like him that bad.

Charles Woodson
01-28-2007, 06:11 PM
I dont know, id rather wait for reggie nelson than trade up for AP.

Only way id want us to trade up is if we do this

Give up pick 16, KGB and fergy

for

pick 8th

then in the
and our draft look like

1. Adrian Peterson
2. Greg Olson
3. Brandon Merriweather

wist43
01-28-2007, 07:00 PM
There is the school of thought that says the Packers are young across the board (cept QB), and that at some point they have to target "blue blood" type talent.

However, despite being young virtually across the board, there are plenty of holes to fill, and anticipated holes to fill, that I think staying put makes more sense.

It's not as if trading up for the one special player will put them over the top...

1) They're not even close to being a true contender;

and,

2) They're more likely to take a major step back when Favre retires, than they are to take a major step forward - hence, I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect that they'll be drafting in the top 10 again - probably immediately after Favre retires.

At that point, their greatest need will be QB...

Other long term considerations - Green isn't getting any younger; Clifton's knee's will eventually fail; Harris, when he does hit the wall, will probably become completely useless b/c he simply doesn't have a step to spare; they have no TE; they're OK along the DL, but there's nobody special; and, it isn't as if the WR position is stacked...

Stay put, take the best player available, keep drafting QB's in the hopes of hitting on one... and go from there.

Brando19
01-28-2007, 07:10 PM
There is the school of thought that says the Packers are young across the board (cept QB), and that at some point they have to target "blue blood" type talent.

However, despite being young virtually across the board, there are plenty of holes to fill, and anticipated holes to fill, that I think staying put makes more sense.

It's not as if trading up for the one special player will put them over the top...

1) They're not even close to being a true contender;

and,

2) They're more likely to take a major step back when Favre retires, than they are to take a major step forward - hence, I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect that they'll be drafting in the top 10 again - probably immediately after Favre retires.

At that point, their greatest need will be QB...

Other long term considerations - Green isn't getting any younger; Clifton's knee's will eventually fail; Harris, when he does hit the wall, will probably become completely useless b/c he simply doesn't have a step to spare; they have no TE; they're OK along the DL, but there's nobody special; and, it isn't as if the WR position is stacked...

Stay put, take the best player available, keep drafting QB's in the hopes of hitting on one... and go from there.

I don't agree with everything you just said...however...I'll throw in something they need to work on...SPECIAL TEAMS!

Partial
01-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Wist hit it on the head. No sense in throwing away a second for an injury risk, when there is plenty of talent at the positions that would really help the Pack. Safety is DEEP this year. Very, very deep. You guys are nuts thinking Merriweather will be there in the 3rd ( he probably won't be there when we pick in the second ) , but there is some definite talent available in round 2-3 for safety. Same can be said for receiver. Tons and tons of receiving talent in this draft.

LL2
01-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Come on guys! You know TT will never do this. The guy is too injury prone to do it anyways. There will be 100 more rumors between now and the draft.

Partial
01-28-2007, 07:47 PM
Come on guys! You know TT will never do this. The guy is too injury prone to do it anyways. There will be 100 more rumors between now and the draft.

Gary said it was from a source inside lambeau that he considered extremely accurate and trustworthy.

PackerPro42
01-28-2007, 08:07 PM
I highly doubt that the Packers would trade up to get a RB like Peterson when he doesn't fit the system and is injury prone. If they're going to get a RB in the first I would rather see Lynch.

Partial
01-28-2007, 08:19 PM
I highly doubt that the Packers would trade up to get a RB like Peterson when he doesn't fit the system and is injury prone. If they're going to get a RB in the first I would rather see Lynch.

Doesn't fit there system??!?!?????

He is extremely fast and powerful with amazing agility and vision. How does that not fit the system.

I would MUCH rather have Peterson than the rapist. Much, much, much, much more. But, I wouldn't want Peterson more if it required giving up the farm. As a matter of fact, I don't really want either of them.

Joemailman
01-28-2007, 08:37 PM
The most important qualities for a running back in a ZBS are vision and cutback ability. Certainly Peterson has those abilities, but I just don't see TT making the move to get him. Nor would I want him to. It will be inyeresting to see what happens with Lynch in the draft if sexual assault are still hanging over him come draft day.

superfan
01-28-2007, 08:39 PM
Not every team follows the much referenced "trade value chart", but for now let's look at the chart to get an idea of trade values.

#8 overall = 1400 pts.
#16 overall = 1000 pts.
#48 overall = 420 pts.

From a trade value perspective, GB trading its first and second round picks for #8 is a pretty fair trade.

However, I would prefer to get best player available at #1 and #2 over Peterson. Assuming Ahman is resigned, RB doesn't appear to be a great need and I would prefer to plug two other holes.

The chart can be found near the bottom of this article:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/6330687

Partial
01-28-2007, 08:47 PM
I would also like to see them not make the deal. I think Green, Morency and a rookie back will be good enough to get the job done.

There are oodles of wideouts, safeties and ends this year. If only it was deep in tight end it'd be a draft catered to the Packers!!

Receiver, Tight End, Safety, OT/RB, OT/RB. Those should be the first 5 rounds right there unless a player drops to them that is quite talented.

motife
01-28-2007, 09:06 PM

It would probably be like trading up for Cedric Benson. btw. Ahman Green had more yards than Cadillac Williams this year.

Drafting RB's in the top 10 has rarely paid off.

Partial
01-28-2007, 09:11 PM

It would probably be like trading up for Cedric Benson. btw. Ahman Green had more yards than Cadillac Williams this year.

Drafting RB's in the top 10 has rarely paid off.

I don't doubt that. I don't want the trade to happen, either. Costs too much for a team with too many holes. Peterson is going to be special, though.

BallHawk
01-28-2007, 09:48 PM

I thought you liked Peterson. Also, how does Lynch fit the system better than Peterson. If you ask me it's the other way around.

Cheesehead Craig
01-28-2007, 10:04 PM
The general feeling here is that the Texans, who passed on Bush and got burned big time, are going to give away Peterson (assuming he is there) when they have no RBs of any ability. No way they pass on Peterson.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-28-2007, 10:57 PM

This draft is very top heavy, not deep. The talent really drops after about the 3rd-4th round, most "experts" say anyway.

J-Rok
01-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Garrett Wolfe in the 5th! Sorry.

I wouldn't trade up for Peterson, and of course, TT wouldn't either. I doubt Thompson will even stay at 16. I figure we'll be picking in the mid-20's, so Irons could certainly be the pick.

vince
01-29-2007, 06:12 AM
werent we so in love with reggie bush as well? i dont remember him playing at lambeau cept in week 2 last season.
QFT
There's no doubt that Thompson & Co. are leaking misinformation at this point. They did it last year. They'll do it this year. If someone hears it being blabbered about all day on the radio at this time of the year, my money would be on the side that says Marshawn Lynch, or some other back is the real target.

Partial
01-29-2007, 06:53 AM
Why is everyone so enamored with Marshawn Lynch? What does he bring to the table that RB by committee has shown it can't do? I've seen Denver make the playoffs with some average backs at best.

Our running game sucked because our OL was inexperienced and they would use minimum eight men in the box against us. Get a deep threat and watch as the running game steadily improves.

BallHawk
01-29-2007, 07:28 AM
Why is everyone so enamored with Marshawn Lynch? What does he bring to the table that RB by committee has shown it can't do? I've seen Denver make the playoffs with some average backs at best.

Our running game sucked because our OL was inexperienced and they would use minimum eight men in the box against us. Get a deep threat and watch as the running game steadily improves.

Actually, I think if we took a poll of this forum the majority would be AGAINST taking Marshawn Lynch. It's just there are some people that talk about him a lot and it does make it seem like people really want Lynch.

IMO, Lynch is nothing more than an average RB with a brain damage, who is the product of playing against PAC-10 teams, who focus more on offense than on defense. He really is not that good. Last year the first round picks at RB (excluding Bush at #2) were Laurence Maroney, DeAngello Williams, and Joseph Addai, drafted at #21, #27, and #30, respectively. You could honestly make the arguement that any of those 3 were better picks than Lynch coming out of college, not even using the information we know about them now. Outside of Adrian Peterson, you could argue that none of these backs are deserving of a first round pick. Lynch is very reminiscent of former CAL RB, JJ Arrington. If we are to address RB in this draft I would prefer we do it in the late 1st round or 2nd round with players like Bush, Irons, and Hunt.

Zool
01-29-2007, 07:51 AM
You have to take into consideration the source. Radio sports is about as credible as if I said it. They need something to talk about and to get people to start calling in. Sometimes they hit on something, but 90% of the time, they are talking out their ass.

SkinBasket
01-29-2007, 08:02 AM

Actually, I think if we took a poll of this forum the majority would be AGAINST taking Marshawn Lynch. It's just there are some people that talk about him a lot and it does make it seem like people really want Lynch.

IMO, Lynch is nothing more than an average RB with a brain damage, who is the product of playing against PAC-10 teams, who focus more on offense than on defense. He really is not that good. Last year the first round picks at RB (excluding Bush at #2) were Laurence Maroney, DeAngello Williams, and Joseph Addai, drafted at #21, #27, and #30, respectively. You could honestly make the arguement that any of those 3 were better picks than Lynch coming out of college, not even using the information we know about them now. Outside of Adrian Peterson, you could argue that none of these backs are deserving of a first round pick. Lynch is very reminiscent of former CAL RB, JJ Arrington. If we are to address RB in this draft I would prefer we do it in the late 1st round or 2nd round with players like Bush, Irons, and Hunt.

BINGO!

And trading up for Peterson would be a step shy of retarded. We gots to too many position needs to simply throw away a high second round pick on a guy who has overrated speed. The rest of his game is nice, but not worth two picks. Not even close. Unless it was a 1st and a 5th, but that won't move a team 8 spots up in the 1st round obviously.

swede
01-29-2007, 08:50 AM
I just spent a moment channeling TT in an "in my head" interview, and this is how he responded:

Q: Ted, are you considering moving up in the draft to get Adrian Peterson or anyone else?

TT: I think in most situations you're better off letting the draft come to you. Most teams are really looking for a lot more in terms of draft picks than you'd want to give up in order to move up a few spots. I wouldn't say I'd never move up to get a special player, but it's the other teams that really don't allow it to happen.

Q: Ted, do you think you'll move down a few spots this year?

TT: Again, you have to let the draft come to you. If a player we really want is there we'll take him when our pick comes around. If there are a few guys we really like and we feel like there's a good chance of picking up a couple of guys that will help our team we'd strongly consider moving down. We won't be giving the pick away, though. We'd be looking for value and we'd want to be pretty sure the guys we want would still be there when we pick again.

Q: One last question, Ted. Who do you think you'll pick if you stay in the 16th spot?

TT: Good try.

Partial
01-29-2007, 09:52 AM

I like to play devil's advocate as I am sure you can tell. Average back? Nah, he's pretty good. He reminds me a lot of Maroney actually, who you can tell will be a very good player. Lynch and Arrington don't seem very similiar to me at all. Lynch is much faster and shiftier.

I don't want Lynch or Peterson. I'd rather they resign Ahman for a year or two and get a late round back. I would much rather have them land Bowe and Olson in rounds 1 and 2 if at all possible, unless a phenominal talent is available at either of those spots. I think Safety is deep enough that you can land a pretty darn good player in the third. Definitely someone capable of stepping in a being a starter, if not that then a solid back-up and special teams contributor. It certainly won't be Merriweather, but there are plenty of good safeties this year.

I think the addition of a good tight end that can stretch the field and a big target who is strong enough to beat jams and tall enough to catch the inaccurate favre deep pass will do wonders for the running game.

Partial
01-29-2007, 09:53 AM
You have to take into consideration the source. Radio sports is about as credible as if I said it. They need something to talk about and to get people to start calling in. Sometimes they hit on something, but 90% of the time, they are talking out their ass.

LISTEN ASSHOLE, I WILL PUNCHASIZE YOUR FACE. I TRUST THE GARY AND THE CLIFF!!!

Zool
01-29-2007, 09:55 AM
In the words of Hogans Heroes....YOU KNOW NOSINGK

Partial
01-29-2007, 09:56 AM

BINGO!

And trading up for Peterson would be a step shy of retarded. We gots to too many position needs to simply throw away a high second round pick on a guy who has overrated speed. The rest of his game is nice, but not worth two picks. Not even close. Unless it was a 1st and a 5th, but that won't move a team 8 spots up in the 1st round obviously.

What is Peterson turns into a perennial pro-bowler? Ala LT. The type of back that can turn a team's fortune and outlook around. Remember, Ron Wolfe tried his hardest to trade up in the first round to land Brian Urlacher because he knew he'd be a special player.

If TT thinks AP can turn the franchise around and is an AAA prospect, then he will make the trade no questions asked and will bite the bullet and take the criticism from the fans, knowing that if his gut was right the fans will be eating crow and he will have a superstar ( reminds me of Philly taking DMac and the crowd booing the selection of their saving grace ) . TT said the most important lesson he learned from the Wolfe is that you cannot be afraid to make a mistake.

I could see him doing it.

Partial
01-29-2007, 09:58 AM
I just spent a moment channeling TT in an "in my head" interview, and this is how he responded:

Q: Ted, are you considering moving up in the draft to get Adrian Peterson or anyone else?

TT: I think in most situations you're better off letting the draft come to you. Most teams are really looking for a lot more in terms of draft picks than you'd want to give up in order to move up a few spots. I wouldn't say I'd never move up to get a special player, but it's the other teams that really don't allow it to happen.

Q: Ted, do you think you'll move down a few spots this year?

TT: Again, you have to let the draft come to you. If a player we really want is there we'll take him when our pick comes around. If there are a few guys we really like and we feel like there's a good chance of picking up a couple of guys that will help our team we'd strongly consider moving down. We won't be giving the pick away, though. We'd be looking for value and we'd want to be pretty sure the guys we want would still be there when we pick again.

Q: One last question, Ted. Who do you think you'll pick if you stay in the 16th spot?

TT: Good try.

Spot on, spot on. You could post that on PackerChatters and they'd all believe that was a real interview.

red
01-29-2007, 10:35 AM
WLECOME TO THE RUN UP TO DRAFT DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

everything you hear any team say about every player is complete BS

its deception time in the nfl

nothing but a smoke screen

SkinBasket
01-29-2007, 10:52 AM

Does that mean I can get naked now?

Partial
01-29-2007, 10:55 AM

Does that mean I can get naked now?

You mean we're not supposed to be naked already?

Zool
01-29-2007, 10:59 AM
Do women know about shrinkage?

Partial
01-29-2007, 01:26 PM

Ask swede. My girlfriend does. She giggles whenever the weiney is teeny. Stupid cold weather.

Cheesehead Craig
01-29-2007, 01:41 PM

Ask swede. My girlfriend does. She giggles whenever the weiney is teeny. Stupid cold weather.
One would think you would move to AZ from Milwaukee then.

Brando19
01-29-2007, 02:53 PM

My girlfriend is constantly laughing. :lol:

Charles Woodson
01-29-2007, 03:49 PM

BINGO!

But would you run the risk with Bush?

PackerPro42
01-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Bush was a very solid player when he wasn't hurt, Irons doesn't impress me at all, and Hunt is just not that special. If the Packers do go after a RB, I would rather see them pick up a RB in the first like AD or Lynch. Either would be fine, but Lynch does fit our system better.

BooHoo
01-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Let's not trade up. It would be very costly.

vince
01-29-2007, 07:42 PM

Right on, Partial. I absolutely agree with your point.

My only point is that I believe there is a definite purpose to a "Packer insider" leaking something to the media, and it isn't because he wants the world to know what the inside brass is planning or wanting to do. That would be highly counterproductive.

The productive purpose is, in fact, just the opposite...

SD GB fan
01-30-2007, 12:49 AM

Right on, Partial. I absolutely agree with your point.

My only point is that I believe there is a definite purpose to a "Packer insider" leaking something to the media, and it isn't because he wants the world to know what the inside brass is planning or wanting to do. That would be highly counterproductive.

The productive purpose is, in fact, just the opposite...

perhaps they just want to stir up interest in the draft and they want to show that they are "willing" to make improvements to their O.

BallHawk
01-30-2007, 07:10 AM
SD, in all probability that is what TT is doing. He is throwing out things and trying to put himself in a position so on draft day he can get as many trade offers as possible. And I'm about 95% sure TT will not trade up. That would be a very, very risky move and a risk TT would be wise not to take.