PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl Anecdotes

motife
01-28-2007, 04:12 PM
I've seen every Super Bowl, and really enjoy the NFL Network's new series America's game. NFL Films old half hour recaps of the games are pretty lame I think, the music accompaniment is corny, the extreme overuse of super slow motion and closeups archaic, and the whole approach too syrupy.

The new series is a little more irreverent and enterntaining, telling a lot of "bad stuff", what everyone wants to hear.

One anecdote I enjoyed was told by Drew Pearson and "Hollywood" Henderson regarding Randy White's second year. White a defensive lineman from Maryland was called "The Manster" half man, half monster, ala Jervon Kearse and was widely acknowledged to be the strongest man in the NFL even then. Henderson, who was a cocaine addict and admitted to taking cocaine even during games, gave White, who was very mild mannered, quiet and shy off the field some shit in the locker room. Drew Pearson said, "Why of all people he decided to pick a fight with Randy White I'll never figure out. With one arm White picked Henderson off the floor and shoved him inside his locker." Henderson admitted the incident but stresses that there were no blows, that White only shoved him into the locker then pinned him to the ground, where Henderson then spat out, "If you let me up I'll kick your ass." Henderson said that even though White coud have done a lot more damage, he knew he'd better not try, because he knew Henderson would come back later with a gun or a knife.

KYPack
01-28-2007, 06:21 PM
White and Henderson were both #1 picks. Hollywood thought that this lessened his impact as a #1 pick, so he took it out on White. This went on all year and White finally snapped, Henderson later admitted it was foolish on his part and he was lucky Randy didn't beat him to death.

Henderson admitted all this in his book. He did as good a job as anybody admitting former errors and owning up to his drug habit and the foolish stuff he did while a dope head.

motife
01-28-2007, 07:12 PM
both have mellowed considerably.

After serving 2 years and 8 months in prison for threatening with a gun and sexual assault from 1983 to 1986, Henderson won $28 million in the 2000 Texas state lottery. Henderson currently gives anti drug speeches around the country.

here's Randy White today :

http://www.risingsunoutdoors.com/images/IndexPage/RandyWhiteColbyAlec002.JPG

and Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson :

http://www.barbarasbookstore.com/Images/Covers/I/InControlMed.jpg