PDA

View Full Version : Get outta my office!

Joemailman
01-31-2007, 09:40 AM
Kind of a funny story about Jerry Fontenot finally getting his own office at 1265 Lombardi.

Offensive Shift: Fontenot Claims Office Space, Moves Philbin Down Hall

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 01/20/2007

New offensive coordinator Joe Philbin was in no hurry to move to his new office. Next week, or by the end of the month, would have been fine.

But the trickle-down effect Philbin's promotion had on the offensive staff resulted in a "trickle-up" effect as far as the office shifting.

You see, Jerry Fontenot spent 2006 first as a coaching intern and then as an offensive assistant and consultant, and was a coach without a home. He'd work most of the time in the offensive meeting room, but get kicked out frequently when game-planning meetings took precedence. He had to find space to work wherever it was available.

So when Fontenot was promoted to assistant offensive line coach (while James Campen moved up from that position to offensive line coach, Philbin's old role), he wasn't excited just about his new job, but the opportunity to have some space to call his own.

Hence, the moving began the day after the staff changes were made, with Philbin moving into Jeff Jagodzinski's old office down the hall, adjacent to the offensive meeting room, and Fontenot moving to Philbin's former quarters.

"I think 'homeless Jerry' expedited the whole process," said Philbin, who added that the advantage of his new office, in addition to having direct access to the meeting room, is that he's closer to the snack room and bathroom.

"By the time I knew it there were a couple trainers up here carting stuff around. Jerry has been living in the refugee camp long enough, so I think he wanted a place where he could shut his door and not get thrown out all the time."

The good-natured ribbing going on amongst the coaching staff made for a fun first week in their new jobs. While Fontenot has been putting to rest all the nomad jokes, he and Campen gave Philbin an additional nametag outside his new office door: Capt. Decorum.

It's a nickname given to Philbin by the offensive line for his use, always, of proper and clean English in presentations to the linemen in their meetings.

And now that Philbin is the offensive coordinator, that "decorum" will be on display in front of the entire offense on a regular basis, so his assistants thought they should clue everyone in on the nickname.

Seriously, though, Campen and Fontenot will miss having Philbin at every offensive line meeting, but they take the added responsibility as an exciting challenge.

"Obviously now it's up to 'Campy' and I to make sure we get the most out of our players and make sure they have a good understanding of what's going on and how our schemes work," Fontenot said.

And now that he has his own office, Philbin has given Fontenot another duty as well.

"I told him he has to crank up the heat every now and then, because he's got the control of the thermostat in that office," Philbin said. "That's the only thing I told him -- don't freeze me out down here."