PDA

View Full Version : Al Harris Intervied on Jim Rome: ("transcript")

PCastleberg
01-31-2007, 02:09 PM
Al Harris was on the Jim Rome show today (man there have been a lot of Packers on in the last couple of days, Driver, MM and Kramer)

I didn’t have Audacity (my free recording software http://audacity.sourceforge.net) up at the beginning of the stream so the first few questions are very paraphrased. After that its still condensed but a lot closer to word for word of what was said.

ROME: What was it like when you first went to GB?
HARRIS: Shocked how small the airport was. Got to see Lambeau right away, that was cool. No night life. Everywhere you go Packers, Its good though, it lets you just focus on the game and your job.
ROME: What do you think about Lambeau field?
HARRIS: Lambeau is unique, and is always packed.
ROME: What was it like adjusting to the cold in GB?
HARRIS: Didn’t’ take long to adjust to cold, “when you see your check deposited it makes it a lot easier to adjust”
ROME: How big was the winning streak at the end of the season?
HARRIS: The winning streak was big, gives them momentum.
ROME: Has D turned corner?
HARRIS: Yes, he thinks they are all on the same page now.
(finally remembered to turn on Audacity)
ROME: What receivers do you get up the most for?
HARRIS: Said he gets up for everybody but especially Chad Johnson, Roy Williams, Terrel Owens.
ROME: Whats it like facing Chad Johnson? A lot of trash talk?
HARRIS: We joke before the game but once the game starts its all business, I don’t talk at all, I think that bothers Chad.
ROME: Was Terrel Owens as good this year as previous years?
HARRIS: I think he was, he just had some drops, as far as the whole lockerroom off the field stuff, hey whatever he needs, give him that stuff as long as he helps you get the job done on Sunday.
ROME: At this point of the interview what would you rather have, Contract questions or questions about #4?
HARRIS: Laughing, #4, lets go with #4….
ROME: Do any of you have any idea where his head is at and what he’s going to do?
HARRIS: No one knows but Brett his wife and his kids, I honestly don’t think he’s made a decision yet.
ROME: How do you know when its time to go? If it where you do you leave early so you make sure you don’t ding your legacy or do you make them come out and tear the gear off your back?
HARRIS: They have to rip it off of me, I have to go out in a wheel chair. Wheel me off. Brett may be looking at it differently.
ROME: Why do you feel that way?
HARRIS: Its just the passion of the game, that’s just how I feel today, maybe in a few years I’ll feel differently but look at this game (the superbowl) look at the effect football has on everybody,
ROME: Yeah, its amazing the effect that football has on everyone, but it’s a business, it’s a business and you have a contract, correct me if I am wrong but you weren’t real happy with that contract last year?
HARRIS: Well you know, we have some issues with the contract and hopefully both sides can come to a happy medium.
ROME: You like this topic don’t you, I can tell (sarcasm dripping from his voice and Harris chuckling in the background). I imagine that if you didn’t like your contract last year you probably don’t like it any more this year are they (the Packers) going to make it right do you think?
HARRIS: I would hope so, I think I played at a level to warrant going in and taking a look at it so I would hope so.
ROME: They’ve got an aweful lot of money under the Cap, do you think they are going to spend it?
HARRIS: I would hope so, but now with todays game the trend is to get a good team and stay under the cap. Years ago, not too long ago the trend was to spend it all and get the good players and lets win now. I don’t know, I hope they spend it though.
ROME: You had a good year but didn’t get a pro-bowl invite…do you feel like you got snubbed?
HARRIS: Personally I think I got snubbed. I think they need to change the voting system, because when you have OL and DTs voting for corners you know they don’t know that you haven’t given up one touchdown the entire season. You know what I mean? I just think they need to change the voting system.

The rest was just Rome joking with him and thanking him for coming on the show….

There you go…nothing earth shattering, he sounded pretty reasonable (not bitter or nasty) about the contract situation and sounded pretty hopeful that something would get done.

PC

Side note: I linked the audacity site because the software is free and is a great tool when you are listening to a live stream for recording it so you can relisten to it. I figured some of you might be interested in it.

hawaii50
01-31-2007, 03:26 PM
thanks for transferring that, i know it takes a lot of time. it sounded like a good interview in that harris didn't focus on not getting paid last year. if there ever was a sounding board and someone who loves adding fire to the flame, it's jim rome. i'm glad he handled the interview with class. hopefully ted gives him a bonus, he deserves it. a brand new contract though? not sure because of his age.

MJZiggy
01-31-2007, 03:30 PM
Question is whether Rome handled it with class, or if Harris didn't give him a choice. He can be damned brutal with reporters when he needs to be.

HarveyWallbangers
01-31-2007, 04:23 PM
Question is whether Rome handled it with class, or if Harris didn't give him a choice. He can be damned brutal with reporters when he needs to be.

Actually, to me, it sounded like Rome was fishing for controversy. What's up with these questions:

ROME: I imagine that if you didn’t like your contract last year you probably don’t like it any more this year are they (the Packers) going to make it right do you think?

ROME: They’ve got an aweful lot of money under the Cap, do you think they are going to spend it?

MJZiggy
01-31-2007, 04:51 PM
That's kinda what I'm talkin about. Harris isn't gonna give him anything and if an insinuation is made that is too far, he will let him know it. I recall one interview session this season where he sat in his locker and said "you people ask the STUPIDEST questions..." and then just laughed at the reporter who asked it.

PCastleberg
01-31-2007, 04:51 PM
The whole interview was pretty cordial. Harris was calm and composed and when listening I never got the impression that Rome was really trying to get him. Harris was pretty non controversial with the first contract question and the “you really don’t like talking about this do you” thing from Rome came across as a light hearted thing from Rome. Kind of, an, Ok if you really don’t want to say anything bad about the situation I’ll let you off with that. Both seemed pretty comfortable and laid back.

PC

Freak Out
01-31-2007, 06:26 PM
Harris deserves a raise. He is one of the best, if not the best pickup for the Pack in a long time. Keep him around for a few more years please.

Rastak
01-31-2007, 07:33 PM

Actually, to me, it sounded like Rome was fishing for controversy. What's up with these questions:

ROME: I imagine that if you didn’t like your contract last year you probably don’t like it any more this year are they (the Packers) going to make it right do you think?

Kind of with the second question, the first is more fact and not really controversy.

HarveyWallbangers
01-31-2007, 09:13 PM
Kind of with the second question, the first is more fact and not really controversy.

What do you know?
:D

Are you up for getting together for the Super Bowl. Superfan and myself have the okay from the wives.
:glug:

MadtownPacker
01-31-2007, 09:33 PM
Thanks for hooking it up P-Cast!

Al is just vicious. Romy probably was worried he would get the stripper treatment from Mr. Harrisment if he didnt thread lightly.

PAY HIM!!!

Rastak
01-31-2007, 10:42 PM

What do you know?
:D

Are you up for getting together for the Super Bowl. Superfan and myself have the okay from the wives.
:glug:

I know as much as Jason Wilde! But he called it sooner.

I do not yet have permission from the ball and chain but it sure sounds like fun. Recruit a few and I'll do my best to make it.

Bretsky
01-31-2007, 10:50 PM
dang balls and chains sure get heavier when the kids come; where were my friends.

Nobody told me my presence would be 5x as wanted at home on gamedays.

Rastak
01-31-2007, 11:02 PM
dang balls and chains sure get heavier when the kids come; where were my friends.

Nobody told me my presence would be 5x as wanted at home on gamedays.

The kid moved out so all I have is the ball and chain....

sadly, it's still a ball and chain.....

MJZiggy
02-01-2007, 07:14 AM
:roll: Ay yi yi people. Rastak, tell her you want her to come with you. You think it would be fun to have her there. If she comes, give her a drink and have fun. If she declines, let her go do something she wants to do, but you invited her along and that should earn you de facto permission to go. (note to Bretsky: this does NOT work the same for grownup dance clubs...)

Fritz
02-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Wish I could be there and meet you guys. Sounds fun.

As for Al Harris, TT needs to send the team a message by upping Harris's contract. You work your butt off, be a team player, and play well, you will be rewarded.

MJZiggy
02-01-2007, 07:44 AM
I predict he does it. He rewarded DD last year, there's no reason not to give it up for Al.

retailguy
02-01-2007, 08:47 AM
:roll: Ay yi yi people. Rastak, tell her you want her to come with you. You think it would be fun to have her there. If she comes, give her a drink and have fun. If she declines, let her go do something she wants to do, but you invited her along and that should earn you de facto permission to go. (note to Bretsky: this does NOT work the same for grownup dance clubs...)

Respectfully.... You've never met my wife.... :shock: :oops: :wink: