PDA

View Full Version : Sporting news mock draft 1/31/07

GoPackGo
02-01-2007, 09:08 AM
I think you guys might like this pick better than the last 2 versions of this mock draft. :)

1 (1) Raiders JaMarcus Russell* QB LSU
Owner/GM Al Davis loves Ohio State wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr.'s electrifying speed but should realize his team is in desperate need of a quarterback.

2 (2) Lions Joe Thomas T Wis.
Offensive coordinator Mike Martz knows the importance of having a strong line and although Thomas is not as good as the Rams' Orlando Pace, a former Martz player, he projects as a solid NFL left tackle.

3 (3) Browns Adrian Peterson* RB Oklahoma
(pick subject to coin flip) If Thomas is off the board, Browns officials will debate long and hard between Peterson and Michigan defensive tackle Alan Branch but should go with Peterson in the hope his great talent can be harnessed.

4 (4) Buccaneers Calvin Johnson* WR Georgia Tech
(pick subject to coin flip) The Bucs need an offensive spark; Johnson has the strength, hands, toughness and character to immediately boost their passing attack.

5 (5) Cardinals Jamaal Anderson* DE Arkansas
New coach Ken Whisenhunt would prefer to get Thomas at this spot to anchor the offensive line for the next decade. Instead, the Cardinals should take the best defensive end in the draft.

6 (6) Redskins Gaines Adams DE Clemson
The Redskins have talent on defense but lack an explosive edge rusher who consistently can threaten the corner.

7 (7) Vikings Ted Ginn Jr.* WR Ohio St.
The Vikings need offensive firepower, and the super-fast Ginn would give them a downfield threat who makes big plays all over the field.

8 (8.) Texans Alan Branch* DT Michigan
The Texans should continue to rebuild their defense. Branch is versatile and could line up in a variety of spots along the line.

9 (9) Dolphins Amobi Okoye DT Louisville
New Dolphins coach Cam Cameron might go with this star athlete because in two seasons Okoye, only 19, will be the best defensive tackle from this year's class.

10 (10) Falcons Aaron Ross CB Texas
Falcons GM Rich McKay hopes to get either of the two elite defensive ends -- Anderson or Adams -- at this spot. If both are gone, McKay should take the tall and athletic Ross to work opposite DeAngelo Hall.

11 (11) 49ers Leon Hall CB Michigan
The 49ers' secondary is inconsistent, and Hall is productive and tough.

12 (12) Bills Zach Miller* TE Arizona St.
The Bills have great young talent at running back (Willis McGahee) and wide receiver (Lee Evans). Miller would give quarterback J.P. Losman yet another big-play option.

13 (13) Rams Paul Posluszny OLB Penn State
Rams officials would prefer to draft an edge pass rusher, but none figure to be available at No. 13. Instead, the team should take the top linebacker on the board.

14 (14) Panthers Greg Olsen* TE Miami (FL)
Panthers coaches have concerns at safety and would consider LSU's LaRon Landry if available, but the chance to finally add an explosive tight end to the offense makes too much sense.

15 (15) Steelers Daymeion Hughes CB Cal
The Steelers' secondary was inconsistent and riddled by injuries in '06, and the team should draft the best-available cornerback at this spot. Hughes is physical and productive and could help immediately.

16 (16) Packers Marshawn Lynch* RB Cal
Packers officials want a running back and will debate long and hard about whether to take Lynch or Alabama's Kenny Irons. The team should go with Lynch because Irons has a slight frame and might struggle to hold up to an NFL pounding. Ohio State's Antonio Pittman is in the conversation, too.

17 (17) Jaguars Jarvis Moss* DE Florida
The Jaguars must upgrade their outside pass rush, and Moss is an athletic and explosive young defensive end.

18 (18.) Bengals DeMarcus Tyler DT NC State
The Bengals must improve their interior defensive line, and the raw Tyler would give them a talented young lineman who could play in the near future.

19 (19) Titans Dwayne Bowe WR LSU
The Titans, with Vince Young at the helm, improved greatly down the stretch in '06 despite mediocre wide receivers. Bowe is built like a Greek god and would give Young a major weapon outside as he continues to develop.

20 (20) Giants Tanard Jackson CB Syracuse
The Giants have a surprising number of needs and might go for Tiki Barber's replacement here. However, Jackson has good size, athleticism and versatility and is too valuable to pass up.

21 (21) Broncos Adam Carriker DT Nebraska
Broncos coach/GM Mike Shanahan will go back and forth between a cornerback and a defensive end at this spot, but Carriker's shining performance at the Senior Bowl might be the difference.

22 (22) Cowboys LaRon Landry S LSU
The Cowboys are desperate for an NFL-quality safety to pair with Roy Williams. Landry would be able to cover deep while Williams attacks the run.

23 (23) Chiefs Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame
The Chiefs are expected to go for defense in the first round. If Quinn falls into his lap, GM Carl Peterson won't pass on getting his quarterback of the future to replace Trent Green, who turns 37 in July.

24 (24) Patriots Anthony Spencer DE Purdue
(from Seattle) Patriots coach Bill Belichick and GM Scott Pioli love versatile defenders, and Spencer could play outside linebacker or inside linebacker in the Patriots' 3-4 scheme or defensive end when the defensive shifts to a 4-3 look.

25 (25) Jets Antonio Pittman* RB Ohio St.
It would be a mild surprise to see the Jets take a running back here, but Pittman is versatile and tough enough to be a feature back. It also would allow Leon Washington to remain a change-of-pace back and create quite the one-two punch for the Jets.

26 (26) Eagles Brandon Meriweather S Miami (FL)
The Eagles have a gaping hole alongside Brian Dawkins. Team officials will debate between Meriweather and Virginia Tech's Aaron Rouse and could gamble on Meriweather because of his on-field impact in all aspects of defense.

27 (27) Saints Tony Franklin CB Va.
The Saints need help in the secondary, and Franklin is a tough and instinctive cornerback with good tools.

28 (28.) Patriots Marcus McCauley CB Fresno St.
Star cornerback Asante Samuel is an unrestricted free agent, so the Patriots could go for his replacement with one of their two first-round picks. Even if the team re-signs Samuel, McCauley still makes sense because Ellis Hobbs is short and more suited to be a nickel back. It would be somewhat of a gamble because McCauley had a terrible senior season and even worse Senior Bowl.

29 (29) Ravens Josh Beekman G Boston Coll.
The Ravens' interior offensive line was inconsistent in '06, and Beekman would challenge for a starting job as a rookie.

30 (30) Chargers Reggie Nelson* S Florida
The Chargers have struggled to get consistent play at both safety positions, and Nelson is an instinctive playmaker who makes plays all over the field.

31 (31) Colts Ray McDonald DT Florida
The Colts, despite a strong run in the playoffs, still have problems in the middle of their defense. McDonald has the versatility to be productive at defensive end or defensive tackle.

32 (32) Bears Levi Brown T Penn State
The Bears already have a great team, but adding youth and athleticism along the offensive line is a priority. Brown is inconsistent but has the raw tools to be an elite player.

prsnfoto
02-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Why are the TE so high and the safeties are falling I saw several stories about the senior bowl that had the LB from Penn State and the TE's all falling to the second round, granted no one knows shit right now but this is one of the worst mocks I have seen.

Cheesehead Craig
02-01-2007, 09:40 AM
These Sporting News mock drafts are complete garbage.

gbgary
02-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Why are the TE so high and the safeties are falling I saw several stories about the senior bowl that had the LB from Penn State and the TE's all falling to the second round, granted no one knows shit right now but this is one of the worst mocks I have seen.

if we can get a real good running back in the first and an impact TE in the second, i have no problem with that.

as for mock drafts, in general, they're all crap.

Pack_Attack88
02-01-2007, 01:54 PM
isnt Irons from Auburn and not Alabama??

I see alot of research went into this mock!!

GoPackGo
02-01-2007, 02:03 PM
isnt Irons from Auburn and not Alabama??

I see alot of research went into this mock!!

Technically the mock fraft writer wasn't 100% wrong because Aurburn u. is in Alabama. :lol:

Lurker64
02-01-2007, 06:04 PM
I certainly don't like it any more than the previous ones, I don't want Lynch under any circumstances.

BallHawk
02-01-2007, 06:12 PM
I certainly don't like it any more than the previous ones, I don't want Lynch under any circumstances.

Amen.

LEWCWA
02-02-2007, 02:09 AM
Any draft that has Brady Quinn going 23rd has no credibility!

Joemailman
02-02-2007, 07:16 AM
A-Rod going 24th in 2005. Leinart going 12th in 2006. Not likely Quinn will slide to 23, but you never know. Quinn will probably go in the top 4, but if not, he could slide.

Bretsky
02-02-2007, 07:37 AM
A-Rod going 24th in 2005. Leinart going 12th in 2006. Not likely Quinn will slide to 23, but you never know. Quinn will probably go in the top 4, but if not, he could slide.

AROD being a top pick was an ESPN creation IMO

Fritz
02-02-2007, 08:01 AM
Just don't pick Pittman. He was completely unimpressive. Pedestrian.

Bretsky
02-02-2007, 08:06 AM

Would be interesting to get Harvey's take since he's a Buckeye lover. My guess is he goes in the 3rd to 4th round.

Cheesehead Craig
02-02-2007, 09:27 AM

Would be interesting to get Harvey's take since he's a Buckeye lover. My guess is he goes in the 3rd to 4th round.
Pittman going in the first was one of the biggest red flags for me on this mock. I can see Pittman going low 2nd rd at best.

HarveyWallbangers
02-02-2007, 09:56 AM

I've wathced Pittman and Mike Hart of Michigan quite a bit in college, and I don't think either is going to be special on the NFL level. I wouldn't draft Pittman until the second day of the draft.