PDA

View Full Version : 1 team throwing out zone blocking this off season

packers11
02-01-2007, 06:06 PM
Alex Gibbs' departure from the Falcons signals a likely change in blocking philosophy from the zone/cut-blocking scheme to more of a traditional power game. Bobby Petrino has previously based his offense around a physical running game. The Falcons also will begin the transition to bigger, more physical offensive linemen.
-- Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Is this scheme simply not working anymore???

green_bowl_packer
02-01-2007, 06:16 PM
I would think this is just a change in philosophy with the new coach coming in, Atlanta lead the league in team rushing this season with 2939 yards rushing for the season almost 400 yards better than the next closest team (San Diego) and as a team averaged 5.5 yards a game. Hopefully we can pick up some of the athletic, zone-blocking lineman they will start to cut when they change schemes.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-RUSHING/2006/regular

Lurker64
02-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Man, that's going to be a trainwreck in Atlanta.

"We're the most successful running team in the league, and our quarterback has rocks in his head. Lets throw the offensive line into turmoil and switch to a completely different running system, that'll show my offensive genius."

Petrino is doomed.

wist43
02-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Atlanta lead the league in rushing b/c of Vick...

If I were them, I'd replace the ZBS, and do what I could to move Vick... he'll never QB a championship team.

Cheesehead Craig
02-01-2007, 08:37 PM
At least we may be able to get one of their castoff OL. They'll be too small and technique-driven to implement a power run game.

green_bowl_packer
02-01-2007, 08:42 PM
With all of that rushing yardage they only had 9 rushing tds, Packers had 9 rushing touchdowns with 1300 yds less rushing than ATL, SD #2 had 32 rushing TDs thanks to LT. If we succeed with this blocking scheme I'd like to think we can put up more rushing tds than that. That's got to be a record or something, it's just too odd.

The_Dude
02-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Maybe Alex Gibbs wants to consult for the packers like he did for Atlanta???

Partial
02-01-2007, 08:51 PM
I would add some depth from their roster. Possibly a tackle and a guard if they get cut.

MadtownPacker
02-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Sounds like Mike Mexico is on his way out in the ATL.

MJZiggy
02-01-2007, 09:01 PM
But they JUST said they were keeping him...

HarveyWallbangers
02-01-2007, 09:43 PM
At least we may be able to get one of their castoff OL. They'll be too small and technique-driven to implement a power run game.

Good point. This is a good thing. One of the benefits of running the ZBS right now is that the OL don't fit want other teams want, so you can find yourself good OL. Guys like Tom Nalen and Ben Hamilton. Teams can get guys late in the draft that will fit well with the ZBS that other teams wouldn't even draft.

Many 3-4 defensive teams (like Pittsburgh) had the same advantage--before it came back en vogue recently.

Partial
02-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Yep.

GoPackGo
02-01-2007, 10:10 PM

Yo Madtown Mexico its Ron Mexico

GoPackGo
02-01-2007, 10:11 PM

If I were them, I'd replace the ZBS, and do what I could to move Vick... he'll never QB a championship team.

If he was on the Bears would you say that?

Lurker64
02-01-2007, 10:40 PM
do what I could to move Vick... he'll never QB a championship team.

Yeah, but Vick puts butts in the seats and sells a lot of tickets and jerseys. To a lot of owners that's more important than winning.

wist43
02-02-2007, 07:28 AM

If he was on the Bears would you say that?

Vicks penchant for pulling it down and running - and his scattershot arm - put long odds on his ever being able to lead a team to a championship. It may make for an exciting game, and he may be able to win a game here and there with that style, but there's a huge leap from winning the occasional, wide open game, and having the game in and game out consistancy necessary to win a championship.

Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Ben Rothliesberger... all of those guys are average to below average QB's; but, all of them played on defensive teams, took the snap from center and handed it off, and simply didn't lose the game - Vick is far too unpredictable and inconsistent to be trusted in that role with that type of team.

I tend to put Grossman in the same catagory - Chicago really has no business being in the SB. The only reason they're there is b/c the NFC is putrid, and their defense was lights out earlier in the year.

I fully expect Chicago to get waxed on Sunday... if they fall too far behind, Grossman will be an embarrassment.

wist43
02-02-2007, 07:51 AM
do what I could to move Vick... he'll never QB a championship team.

Yeah, but Vick puts butts in the seats and sells a lot of tickets and jerseys. To a lot of owners that's more important than winning.

That's true... but, that's not what I'm about, and I don't think in those terms.

To me, it's all about winning championships - work hard, give it your all on every play, and play beyond your ability b/c you know you can't let your teammates, coaches, and fans down.

Owners that have that, "butts in the seats" mentality, or players that have that "me first, look at me" mentality don't rate a measure of respect from me...

My ideals are antiquated, I admit, but I believe they are correct, and I'll never change.

Next time you see a pompous owner, or a self aggrandizing player thumping his chest - think of Lombardi. The chasm between the real deal and the frauds is great indeed.

Fritz
02-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Yes, the Pack can pick up some o-line depth.. Cool.

KYPack
02-02-2007, 10:01 AM

Yeah man, it's Ron.

YOU are Mike Mexico.

Guiness
02-02-2007, 02:03 PM

Yeah man, it's Ron.

YOU are Mike Mexico.

ROFL!!!!!!! Shit Jelly, that's BOMNF!