PDA

View Full Version : Kicker in draft?

billy_oliver880
04-23-2006, 03:32 PM
I was just watching espn. A guy named gostowski has one hell of a leg. I hope we try to get this guy in the draft.

digitaldean
04-23-2006, 03:58 PM
I don't know about drafting a kicker. But here is his review from ESPN Scouts Inc.:
Strengths: He is a four-year starter and had a long productive college career. Had a streak of 87 straight extra points at one point. Gostkowski was a perfect 10 of 10 from outside of 40 yards, including 3 of 3 from 50+ this past season and continues to get better year after year. He has enough leg to kick long field goals in the NFL. He has been very consistent and reliable. He is an above average athlete for the position and a hard worker.

Weaknesses: He hasn't played in a many high stress games at Memphis or under a national microscope. Solid in all areas, but doesn't excel in any one area.

Overall: Gostkowski walked on at Memphis in 2002 and quickly earned a scholarship. He was 9/14 on field goals and 32/37 on extra points. He scored 101 points in 2003, going 19/28 on field goal attempts. He was named First Team All Conference USA in 2004, nailing 20 of 24, including a perfect six for six from outside of 40 yards. In 2005, Gostkowski was outstanding once again, going 22 of 25 on his field goals and a perfect 10/10 from outside of 40 yards and 35/35 on extra points. He was the active leader in the NCAA with 70 career field goals. Gostkowski has also handled all the kickoff duties for four years and was a pitcher on Memphis' baseball team. Gatkowski lacks great upside because of his just decent leg strength, but his consistent all-around production warrants late-round consideration in the 2006 draft.

retailguy
04-23-2006, 04:26 PM
I was just watching espn. A guy named gostowski has one hell of a leg. I hope we try to get this guy in the draft.

Scouts, Inc. says we trade up in the third...... Wait, that was The Onion.... Probably about as accurate... :wink:

Bretsky
04-23-2006, 04:31 PM

Billy,

I've followed this guy and then saw him compete against the best college kickers in some espn promotion. The Memphis K blew me away. Supposedly he's going to get drafted late or not at all. I'd love to see GB get him.

billy_oliver880
04-23-2006, 05:50 PM

Billy,

I've followed this guy and then saw him compete against the best college kickers in some espn promotion. The Memphis K blew me away. Supposedly he's going to get drafted late or not at all. I'd love to see GB get him.

Ya he was in some espn competition in february and he was the most accurate and he had the strongest leg. When they did the longest kick competition...he had the longest kick and didn't have to use his mulligans at all. I think he would be the best guy to get.

Bretsky
04-23-2006, 05:57 PM

Billy,

Ya he was in some espn competition in february and he was the most accurate and he had the strongest leg. When they did the longest kick competition...he had the longest kick and didn't have to use his mulligans at all. I think he would be the best guy to get.

We watched the same competition. Watching that also gave me a new respect for how fluent and good Vernon Davis really is.

billy_oliver880
04-23-2006, 06:06 PM

Billy,

We watched the same competition. Watching that also gave me a new respect for how fluent and good Vernon Davis really is.

Ya he was effing fast man. I am not sure how good his hands are but the juggs competition looked like it got the best of him. I was shocked how bad deangelo hall did with catching the ball.

CyclonePackFan
04-23-2006, 08:32 PM
I'd personally be inclined to wait a year and use a pick on Mason Crosby. I remember at the Colorado game this year he lined up for a 57 yarder and heard the guy next to me say, "How stupid. No way." at which point I turned to him and said "Crosby's hit a 60 yarder. He's got the wind at his back and it's only 57. He'll hit it perfectly," at which point Crosby put the field goal right through the uprights...the TOP of the uprights. Would have been good from 70 yards.

billy_oliver880
04-23-2006, 08:50 PM
I'd personally be inclined to wait a year and use a pick on Mason Crosby. I remember at the Colorado game this year he lined up for a 57 yarder and heard the guy next to me say, "How stupid. No way." at which point I turned to him and said "Crosby's hit a 60 yarder. He's got the wind at his back and it's only 57. He'll hit it perfectly," at which point Crosby put the field goal right through the uprights...the TOP of the uprights. Would have been good from 70 yards.

How many games are we going to lose this year without a guy that can kick the ball?

CyclonePackFan
04-23-2006, 09:14 PM

How many games are we going to lose this year without a guy that can kick the ball?

We lost 3 last year because we had a guy we thought could kick the ball. If this is truly a rebuilding year, just stopgap it with Cundiff, he can't do any worse than Longwell did last year, and he probably won't bitch about his holder. I've watched my team blow two shots at a Big XII title game in two straight years because our kicker can't hit a field goal if there's less than 5:00 left in a game. I appreciate as much as anybody the value of the kicking position, and if we can get this Gostowski guy in the 6th or 7th round and he turns out, I'm fine with that, but I'd like it if Cundiff just did what he needed to do this year and we got a guy in Crosby who I believe not only will make field goals, but can boot just about all his kickoffs into the endzone on a consistent basis.

MJZiggy
04-23-2006, 09:18 PM
We have Ryan and Cundiff. What more do you need? :shock:

billy_oliver880
04-23-2006, 10:49 PM

I want the world too while I'm at it. :D

Bretsky
04-23-2006, 11:14 PM

a kicker

Partial
04-23-2006, 11:44 PM
Bring in the top 50 kickers that aren't drafted. Let 'em duke it out in camp. Hopefully one will be able to boom kickoffs and nail a field goal under pressure.