PDA

View Full Version : Arod sits again

LL2
02-02-2007, 11:33 AM
So, do we trade him or keep him as a back up? Tony Romo didn't start until his 4th year, so sitting another year won't hurt him.

HarveyWallbangers
02-02-2007, 11:47 AM
So, do we trade him or keep him as a back up? Tony Romo didn't start until his 4th year, so sitting another year won't hurt him.

Agreed.

AtlPackFan
02-02-2007, 01:05 PM

What if he asks for a trade? What if he sees Favre playing another couple of years and doesn't want to sit another two and asks for a trade?

Not saying he would...just asking...

HarveyWallbangers
02-02-2007, 01:14 PM
What if he asks for a trade? What if he sees Favre playing another couple of years and doesn't want to sit another two and asks for a trade?

Depends what you can get for him and what the Packers brass thinks of him. If the team believes in him, I'd think tweaking his contract (which has bonuses for him being the starter) would help him look past this.

If some team wanted to trade a low 1st or high 2nd in this year's draft for him, I might do it.

Bretsky
02-02-2007, 01:17 PM

Depends what you can get for him and what the Packers brass thinks of him. If the team believes in him, I'd think tweaking his contract (which has bonuses for him being the starter) would help him look past this.

If some team wanted to trade a low 1st or high 2nd in this year's draft for him, I might do it.

in a second

Pacopete4
02-02-2007, 01:23 PM
i think we should just pretend he doesnt exist.. cuz hes dogshit.. FAVRE!!

Rastak
02-02-2007, 01:34 PM

When is his contract up?

Jerry Tagge
02-02-2007, 01:35 PM
I agree with Pacopete. I don't have any desire to see Aaron Rodgers as the Packers starting QB.

Maybe we could trade him to a team that's desperate for a QB like the Bears.

HarveyWallbangers
02-02-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm not willing to give up on him, but I don't see any reason why I'd want to rush him into the starting lineup over Brett Favre. I don't see him being a cancer, so this is likely not much of an issue.

esoxx
02-02-2007, 01:39 PM
I don't think Rodgers is in any position to demand anything, much less a trade.

MadtownPacker
02-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Send him to OAK for Moss!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry Tagge
02-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Throw in Robert Ferguson and I'm with you Mad!

MadtownPacker
02-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Fergie???? You wanna scare off Al Davis?????????

wist43
02-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Just as I'm convinced that Rodgers can't play... I think you can see in his body language, that Rodgers is convinced he can't play.

He just doesn't have it... if someone wanted to give a third or higher I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. If not, hang on to him, and draft a QB every year until they hit on one.

Freak Out
02-02-2007, 02:11 PM
If TT could swing it I would trade him on draft day...go as low as a third rounder to entice some GM and try and get the other team to throw in a player and then draft another QB....JUST NOT IN THE FIRST ROUND PLEASE!

Jerry Tagge
02-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Fergie???? You wanna scare off Al Davis?????????
Al Davis is senile. We'll tell him we're giving him Sterling Sharpe.

Have you seen who Davis has been hiring for his head coaches the past couple of years?

Brando19
02-02-2007, 03:33 PM

That is brilliant! If that doesn't work...Maybe we could work out a 3 way deal somehow to get Michael Turner?

Fritz
02-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Draft a QB - Stocco or T Smith or Drew Stanton. Let them compete

Ballboy
02-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Kinda funny, I wrote Stanton's name down the other day as a possible 3-4 round pick by the Packers as a project!!!

MacCool606
02-02-2007, 03:40 PM
I can't understand why anyone would want to trade for A-Rod. Even a team really hard up for a QB. I guess we'll see what Denver gets for Plummer - I wouldn't expect or hold out for more for A-rod

Partial
02-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Draft a QB - Stocco or T Smith or Drew Stanton. Let them compete

Stocco on day 2. I'm a big fan of his.

HarveyWallbangers
02-02-2007, 03:44 PM
I'll be pissed if the Packers use a draft pick on Stocco.

Partial
02-02-2007, 04:06 PM

I'll be pissed if they don't. He'd be a solid 6th or 7th round pick. He is a straight up winner. He is every bit as talented as Tony Romo. Let's see if he can handle the speed of the NFL.

Lurker64
02-02-2007, 04:23 PM
I'd be happier if they spent a late round pick on Drew Tate. He's raw and small, but he's as fiery a competitor as there is and a heck of an athlete. I'm convinced M3 could mold him into quite the player.

Partial
02-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Stocco is an underrated athlete and makes Tate his biatch!! He was their best offensive player in 2005-2006. Even better than Calhoun in my opinion.

outflow
02-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Draft Zac Taylor please.

Rastak
02-02-2007, 07:06 PM
I'll try again, when is Rodgers contract up? Did he sign a 4 or 5 year deal. I thought it was 5?

BallHawk
02-02-2007, 07:13 PM
I'll try again, when is Rodgers contract up? Did he sign a 4 or 5 year deal. I thought it was 5?

You are correct, he signed a five year deal and will be a free agent in 2010.

MJZiggy
02-02-2007, 07:14 PM
He'll be a free agent in 2010.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3118

GBRulz
02-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Breaking news.....

Snickers CEO, Peanut Nuget, said that they have signed Packers backup QB, Aaron Rodgers for their 2007 "not going anywhere for a while" campaign.

More to follow.... :lol:

BooHoo
02-02-2007, 09:01 PM
He'll be a free agent in 2010.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3118

As far as I am concerned he can just sit the bench. I understand he is a probowl stat taker!

KYPack
02-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Breaking news.....

Snickers CEO, Peanut Nuget, said that they have signed Packers backup QB, Aaron Rodgers for their 2007 "not going anywhere for a while" campaign.

GBM's drinkin' early for the SB, Kids.

Watch out in Green Bay!

oregonpackfan
02-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Breaking news.....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Great one, GBRulz,

Send your idea to Snickers while lining up your agent. You should get a big fat check with that recommendation! :)

oregonpackfan
02-02-2007, 10:27 PM

I'll be pissed if they don't. He'd be a solid 6th or 7th round pick. He is a straight up winner. He is every bit as talented as Tony Romo. Let's see if he can handle the speed of the NFL.

Partial,

I have truly admired Stocco's leadership as well as his mental and physical toughness.

I just agree with Harvey that I don't think Stocco has the physical tools to make it as an NFL quarterback.

OPF

Bossman641
02-03-2007, 02:39 AM
I guess I'm going against the majority here but I really don't understand the reasoning to see Rodgers gone. It's inevitable that whoever takes over is going to be hated for being "not Brett" but I just don't get it. From what I've seen, Rodgers has said and done all the right things. I'm just confused. He hasn't has much of a chance at all and people just automatically assume he sucks.

GBRulz
02-03-2007, 09:14 AM
Peanut Nuget announces the official release of the 2007 poster campaign.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/Snickers.jpg

(PS, guys, I have no negative feelings towards Rodgers, I'm just happier that he's holding the clipboard for another year)

Partial
02-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Aaron Rodgers really looks like a 180 from Brett Favre right there. What's with that hat!!!

BF4MVP
02-03-2007, 02:58 PM
What's with all the Rodgers hate in this thread? All the talk of trading him and shit..what's up with that?

P.S. GBM that is pretty funny :lol:

Bretsky
02-03-2007, 04:52 PM
What's with all the Rodgers hate in this thread? All the talk of trading him and shit..what's up with that?

P.S. GBM that is pretty funny :lol:

Last year was the first year since he's been here that he looked remotely competent. I think if you watch him it's understandable why some don't see a ton of upside. He might turn out to be decent; after watching Favre we're hoping the next guy is great too.

B

Patler
02-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Last year was the first year since he's been here that he looked remotely competent. I think if you watch him it's understandable why some don't see a ton of upside. He might turn out to be decent; after watching Favre we're hoping the next guy is great too.

B

"..the first year since he's been here..."? You make it sound like he has had numerous chances and showed poorly. Last year was only his second year, and he looked better than his rookie year. Even so, he hasn't played enough to even get over the butterflies from becoming a pro, every child-athlete's dream.

retailguy
02-03-2007, 09:03 PM

B

"..the first year since he's been here..."? You make it sound like he has had numerous chances and showed poorly. Last year was only his second year, and he looked better than his rookie year. Even so, he hasn't played enough to even get over the butterflies from becoming a pro, every child-athlete's dream.

Good point Patler, but surely you realize that Rogers WILL BE Jay Fiedler no matter what he does?

Jay was a "pretty good" qb in his own right, but will always be seen as "the guy" who replaced Marino.

Hopeless.

Rogers is what he is. An NFL Qb. In another city he might be someone, here, he'll always be compared to Favre. Sad. Pretty tough to have "your destiny" defined for you.

GBRulz
02-04-2007, 10:32 AM
RG, that would have been a good trivia question. Who was the QB that followed Marino. personally, I forgot already!!

Scott Campbell
02-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Good point Patler, but surely you realize that Rogers WILL BE Jay Fiedler no matter what he does?

Hopeless.

What if he plays like Steve Young? Will be and hopeless are strong words with no wiggle room for the exception to the rule. Unlikely seems more appropriate.

MadtownPacker
02-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Even Rodgers does play like Steve Young he will still have that pressure on him. It took alot of losing seasons to get 49er fans to be humbled to the point where they accepted rebuilding. Hell, they ran Garcia, a ProBowl QB, out of town.

Fritz
02-04-2007, 12:50 PM
All I'm saying is draft a QB (I like Stanton and Troy Smith), give the coaching staff a chance to see Rodgers and whoever compete, then trade the guy you like least. Or if the rook turns out to lose the competition, keep him an extra year to back up Rodgers.

Draft a QB this year.

Lurker64
02-04-2007, 01:19 PM
All I'm saying is draft a QB (I like Stanton and Troy Smith), give the coaching staff a chance to see Rodgers and whoever compete, then trade the guy you like least. Or if the rook turns out to lose the competition, keep him an extra year to back up Rodgers.

I still think that Ingle Martin has a shot to be the better NFL QB than Aaron Rodgers, so I don't know if drafting another name QB to compete with him is really the right thing to do now. Martin's a heck of an athlete, but he's raw. If you get someone with a better pedigree right now, you'll miss out on the chance to develop Martin.

KYPack
02-04-2007, 01:30 PM

I still think that Ingle Martin has a shot to be the better NFL QB than Aaron Rodgers, so I don't know if drafting another name QB to compete with him is really the right thing to do now. Martin's a heck of an athlete, but he's raw. If you get someone with a better pedigree right now, you'll miss out on the chance to develop Martin.

Why do you think Ingle's better?

Just on athleticism?

We really don't know which guy is gonna pan out at this point.

Scott Campbell
02-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Even Rodgers does play like Steve Young he will still have that pressure on him. It took alot of losing seasons to get 49er fans to be humbled to the point where they accepted rebuilding. Hell, they ran Garcia, a ProBowl QB, out of town.

I think expectations for this franchise have already been significantly adjusted because of the 4-12 and 8-8 seasons. The Niners never skipped a beat between Montana and Young, and Montana wasn't nearly as far removed from his prime when Young took over as Favre is now. Brett's still a very capable quarterback, but his current level of play no longer casts the shadow it once did.

Young was forced to retire because of concussions - not because his play had slipped. That put Garcia in a tougher position than our successor to Brett - whoever that ends up being.

Lurker64
02-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Why do you think Ingle's better?

Just on athleticism?

We really don't know which guy is gonna pan out at this point.

I'm basing my analysis largely on athleticism and attitude, but you're right on the fact that we don't know who's going to be better. I'm just saying that Martin has a chance to be the next guy, but he's going to take a little bit to develop. If we draft a name QB and dump Martin then we're going to miss out on that chance.

I'd much rather pick up a QB that we can stash on the practice squad for a year than pick a name guy like Stanton or Smith.

retailguy
02-04-2007, 02:09 PM
RG, that would have been a good trivia question. Who was the QB that followed Marino. personally, I forgot already!!

Now for the "real" trivia question.... Who was the competition for Jay Fiedler in 2000 for the starting QB position, and almost won the battle?????

Hmmmm....

Damon Huard.

retailguy
02-04-2007, 02:29 PM

Hopeless.

What if he plays like Steve Young? Will be and hopeless are strong words with no wiggle room for the exception to the rule. Unlikely seems more appropriate.

Still, even after Steve Young carried on without missing a beat, SF fans still show more Loyalty & Love for Montana than they do Young. Young has the highest QB ranking ever but still gets ever compared to Joe Montana. Always will too.

Did Young make it out of the "shadow". Yeah he did. Name someone else? Brian Griese? Nope. Jeff Garcia? Nope. How about the "guys" who followed Fran Tarkenton, Bart Starr, Johnny Unitas, Jim Kelly & Dan Fouts? I can't even think of any of them, except *maybe* Jerry Tagge? Didn't he follow Starr?

Point is, the odds are NOT in Rogers favor. You say unlikely, I say hopeless. You say tomAto, I say tomato.... Whatever. :wink:

BobDobbs
02-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Making it out of a legend's shadow IS almost impossible. The real question is whether Rodgers will be a good NFL quarterback. Steve Young's athleticism showed right away. He was obviously good. Good enough that Montana went to the Chiefs.
Does what you've seen of Rodgers make any one want to cut Farve and move on? Obviously we'll see about him and it's not fair to judge. But he doesn't look like much so far. And I'm not comparing him to Farve I'm comparing him to other top quality starters.
Ah well not a problem for at least another year.

LL2
02-04-2007, 10:33 PM

Draft a QB this year.

I agree with this statement. Drafting a QB may not be a high priority this year, but if Smith or Station are still are between rounds 4-6 pick one of them. I doesn't hurt to fradt a decent prospect in case ARod doesn't pan out.

gureski
02-05-2007, 02:56 PM

Now for the "real" trivia question.... Who was the competition for Jay Fiedler in 2000 for the starting QB position, and almost won the battle?????

Hmmmm....

Damon Huard.

Didn't Ray Lucas also compete? The old Jets back up QB under Parcells.

mraynrand
08-21-2019, 07:13 AM
What a thread. There are so many outrageous statements, claims and opinions in this one, but this is my favorite:

Still, not much opportunity for mocking with this thread, as 80% of these posters are MIA.

pbmax
08-21-2019, 07:31 AM

Draft a QB this year.

At least Fritz isn't clairvoyant about the draft. Which renews my hope for Gary.

RashanGary
08-21-2019, 07:36 AM
Just as I'm convinced that Rodgers can't play... I think you can see in his body language, that Rodgers is convinced he can't play.

He just doesn't have it... if someone wanted to give a third or higher I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. If not, hang on to him, and draft a QB every year until they hit on one.

Wist is often right. And I respect that he doesn’t hedge bets. He calls it as he sees it. But for the sake of humility, wist, lets all come back to earth here and know that we all are no better than the GMs who are only right about 1/3 of the time

Anti-Polar Bear
08-21-2019, 10:55 AM
John Stocco was the last Badgers QB I watched extensively. Stopped giving a fuck about college sports shortly after Stocco played his last game, mainly because I was no longer institutionalized, and the real world was/is so fucked up. Even skipped the Wisc-Alabama National Title game where hotshot QB Bo Callahan led the Badgers to victory.

I thought Stocco was way better than Brooks Bollinger.

Fritz
08-21-2019, 11:31 AM
At least Fritz isn't clairvoyant about the draft. Which renews my hope for Gary.

Hold on, PB. I didn't say ditch Rodgers, or he'll never be good. I said they should've drafted a QB and had some competition. This is classic Ron Wolf stuff here. Maybe they could've traded Troy Smith for a fifth rounder the next year and picked up some Pro Bowler.

You wanna nail me, the only two words you need to write are "Odell Thurman."

pbmax
08-21-2019, 12:49 PM
Hold on, PB. I didn't say ditch Rodgers, or he'll never be good. I said they should've drafted a QB and had some competition. This is classic Ron Wolf stuff here. Maybe they could've traded Troy Smith for a fifth rounder the next year and picked up some Pro Bowler.

Sure. But I was more moved to relief by you selecting two backup QBs who didn't pan out (Smith and Stanton).

Upnorth
08-21-2019, 12:53 PM
Wow, this is a thing of beauty. Thanks for the bump rand, what a laugh.

George Cumby
08-21-2019, 02:00 PM
Comedy Gold.

Zool
08-21-2019, 02:07 PM

You are one kinky fucker. I like that.

Zool
08-21-2019, 02:09 PM
If you ever wondered if you were smarter about players than a guy getting paid to be an NFL scout/personnel guy, look no further than this thread.

Patler
08-21-2019, 10:32 PM
The concerns about Rodgers in this thread, after his second season, should show us why it might be too soon to give up on Kizer just yet. Not that he will be the next great starter, but maybe a reasonable backup, hopefully.

Freak Out
08-21-2019, 11:52 PM
If TT could swing it I would trade him on draft day...go as low as a third rounder to entice some GM and try and get the other team to throw in a player and then draft another QB....JUST NOT IN THE FIRST ROUND PLEASE!

LOL

Joemailman
08-21-2019, 11:54 PM
https://customvinyldecor.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/p-68549-333__16828.1494261602.1280.1280-460x460.jpg

Freak Out
08-21-2019, 11:56 PM

Ha ha ha!