PDA

View Full Version : Harvel gone?

red
02-02-2007, 12:55 PM
lost in all the favre hype

i saw a tidbit on pft, that must have been posted yesterday saying harvel is gone from the GBPG

anyone know anymore on this?

FAVRE MIGHT BE BACK, BUT HAVEL APPARENTLY WON'T BE

First Barbaro, now this?

One of the worst-kept secrets in league circles is that Chris Havel and the Green Bay Press-Gazette have parted ways.

Details are very sketchy regarding the manner in which the relationship ended, but several sources with knowledge of the situation have advised us that Havel is no longer working there.

We got into an e-mail battle with Havel last year regarding his failure to disclose in an interview with Brett Favre that he has written two books with him. A link to the back-and-forth with Havel is right here.

With that said, the paper's web site still lists Havel as an employee. But it appears based on a search of Google News that his most recent column was published on January 7.

Press-Gazette sports editor Mike Vandermause has not responded to our e-mail or voice message to him seeking official confirmation of Havel's status. (Ewwww, that sounds like "real" journalism.)

CaliforniaCheez
02-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Gee, maybe the guy who covers the packers took a vacation at the end of the season?

Maybe he is working on a book or special edition.

This is the time of the year to be away.

The PFT guys just hate him because he says nice things about Brett.

bigcoz75
02-02-2007, 01:48 PM
He does a radio show here in Green Bay every evening on 107.5 the Fan and is introduced as Press Gazette columnist Chris Havel. Just a case of him not writing lately not being fired. I'm sure this will come up on tonights show along with the #4 excitement.

Fritz
02-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Interesting. He's the opposite of Uncle Cliffy.

superfan
02-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Maybe he's been fired but nobody has told him yet. And maybe he's a Packer Rat. Ouch.

retailguy
02-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Any updates on this? PFT says today that his names been removed from the writers list on the site?

Someone must know.... Lay it on us.... Maybe Bearman kidnapped him? :P

b bulldog
02-06-2007, 07:20 PM
havel has a big time attitude and seems to rub many people the wrong way, kind of like me :oops:

red
02-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Any updates on this? PFT says today that his names been removed from the writers list on the site?

i think you should send an e-mail to the GBPG RG

the guy just wreaks of dickishness. i'm a packer fan and i can't stand the guy. he just comes off as a complete prick when you read his chats

b bulldog
02-06-2007, 07:24 PM
He acts like him and Brett are best buds, that was why PFT.com picked on him in regards to washing Brett's golfBALLS last offseason.

retailguy
02-06-2007, 09:54 PM

the guy just wreaks of dickishness. i'm a packer fan and i can't stand the guy. he just comes off as a complete prick when you read his chats

who? florio or havel?

red
02-06-2007, 10:04 PM

who? florio or havel?

well both

but i ment harvel

KYPack
02-07-2007, 11:31 AM
They still list him as a writer and have his old columns.

When they can you, you become an "unperson".

motife
02-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Havel's name has been removed from the GBPG's contact list.

Like most writers for the GBPG, Havel's a lightweight. Captain of the obvious, you learn nothing from reading his columns.

Christl, McGinn and Silverstein, like them or not, are far superior to any of the Press Gazette's writers.

from Christl's chat today :

"Q: Carl of Elk Mound - Cliff, what happened to Chris Havel at the GBPG?

A: Cliff Christl - He was fired."

MadtownPacker
02-08-2007, 07:10 PM
I heard a rumor that PackerRats was gonna sign him. :P

HarveyWallbangers
02-08-2007, 09:15 PM
"Q: Carl of Elk Mound - Cliff, what happened to Chris Havel at the GBPG?

Gerbschmidt always asks the sweet questions.

(Inside joke for Packers fans in the Twin Cities.)

RashanGary
02-08-2007, 09:33 PM
I wonder what he did to piss them off. I listen to the radio alot. A little over a week ago, I remember hearing him say that if a new coach comes in and tries to take things over and doesnt' account for things that were done in the past taht he will lose the players. He went on to say that is how he feels about his job but the way he said it sounded kind of personal. Favre made him by dishing him alot of storys and now Favre stopped giving Havel stuff and Havel sort of disappeared from relevance. Now he's fired.

HUH....Kind of unusual. I should call in and ask why he got fired from the press gazette on the radio. I'm sure he'd appreciate that :)

Fritz
02-09-2007, 07:32 AM
Okay, here's my one inside connection: a good friend of mine has a brother who works in the newspaper biz over in GB. He says Havel has serious issues with alcohol. This could have played a role. Yes, lots of people booze it up, but if you start falling out of favor and if your drinking affects your work, then that can be a contributing factor.

Wow. I had inside info. I feel so...special.

BF4MVP
02-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Damnit. I really enjoyed Havel's columns..I was one of the few who did....

Alcohol issues? damn..I never would have guessed

He still does the radio show every afternoon though...

RashanGary
02-09-2007, 08:09 PM
I am not surprised at all that he has an alcohol problem. He talks about boozin all the time on the radio. Him and JG are always talkin about having drinks. He used to be the voice of the GBPG when it game to Packer football. Now he's fired.

It's kind of wierd acctually. I've been reading him since I got to GB 6 years ago and now I'll never read another Havel artical. I'll be alot more devistated when McGinn and Christl leave. Those two are the best we have. Wilde is next. Havel was next, only because he is entertaining.

BF4MVP
02-09-2007, 09:58 PM
They better get someone to replace him..I don't think Mike Woods and Mike Vandermausse are gonna cut it..

RashanGary
02-09-2007, 10:20 PM
They better get someone to replace him..I don't think Mike Woods and Mike Vandermausse are gonna cut it..

I agree. Tomlinson either.

If it's not written by either McGinn, Christl, Wilde or Havel; I usually just skim or don't even read it at all. I think they better start searching too because Havel did at least stir opinion. I appreciate honest sports journalism but at some point opinion and attitude are needed. Havel had that.

BF4MVP
02-10-2007, 12:51 AM

If it's not written by either McGinn, Christl, Wilde or Havel; I usually just skim or don't even read it at all. I think they better start searching too because Havel did at least stir opinion. I appreciate honest sports journalism but at some point opinion and attitude are needed. Havel had that.
Totally agree.

motife
02-10-2007, 06:44 AM

Totally agree.

agree about Jason Wilde. Would add Tom Silverstein.

RashanGary
02-10-2007, 07:32 AM

I've sort of developed an attidude against most writers so I dont' think I've given him a chacne. I'll pay closer attn to his stuff.

RashanGary
02-10-2007, 07:34 AM
If the GBPG was smart they would pay Wilde whatever it took to come the the Gazette. I think he would bring the GBPG *Packer coverage* to an all time high rating.

Bretsky
02-10-2007, 07:44 AM

I've sort of developed an attidude against most writers so I dont' think I've given him a chacne. I'll pay closer attn to his stuff.

Silverstein is actually pretty good as well; similar style to McGinn, but not as good. He's more knowledgeable than Cliffy, who I like as well.

Fritz
02-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Cliffy's a crusty mofo, that weight-liftin', earring wearin' dude.

motife
02-15-2007, 07:11 AM
http://forums.packersnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=7951

some readers posts on Chris Havel at the Press Gazette forum :

Reply :

GB's sports writers are not writers just reporters. They show no initiative to dig up the stories and show little insider prowess. I have talked with almost all of them. We often critique the Claytons of the world but at least they are pounding the pavement to get the scoup. The Packer reporters are hayseeds Its pretty bad when people on this forum have better connections than they do...just pathetic

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:49 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply ;
so would you throw Havel in there with them? Or did he genuinely try getting a story and they fired him?

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:53 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply ;

the funny thing about Havel is that they always promoted him as their "award-winning" reporter....now they fire him? Something big had to have gone down....

Reply ;

GB's sports writers are not writers just reporters. They show no initiative to dig up the stories and show little insider prowess. I have talked with almost all of them. We often critique the Claytons of the world but at least they are pounding the pavement to get the scoup. The Packer reporters are hayseeds Its pretty bad when people on this forum have better connections than they do...just pathetic

Reply :
so would you throw Havel in there with them? Or did he genuinely try getting a story and they fired him?

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:57 pm Post subject:

Reply ;

I had heard about a month ago? that Havel had shoulder surgery and was on a leave of absence.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:52 pm Post subject:

Reply ;

according to my sources, which I cannot reveal, after Havel's surgury he came back to work at the press, then he stopped showing up, & didn't have an explanation which(after a few days) was viewed by Gannett as an official resignation.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:08 pm Post subject:

Reply ;

exactly, I think there may be more to this story than just not showing up for work, but I doubt I will be able to find anything else out about this.

I would imagine that Chris must have had a reason for this because in my opinion he had a pretty cushy job.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:40 pm Post subject:

Reply ;

Havel was either cheerleading his favorites - or - throwing his dislikes under the bus. Because of this - I felt his analysis was flawed, and not worth my time - I stopped reading and listening to him long ago.

Just my opinion.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:43 pm Post subject:

Reply ;

I would tend to agree with you, Wilk. More of a talk radio ranter than an analytical writer. Some people like that. It just tires me out.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-15-2007, 03:54 PM
In an unrelated news, D'Tyrant Michaels of the Liberal Utopian, who wrote the book, "T.E.D.: A Polar Bear Odyssy," is AWOL from the mentioned newspaper.

red
02-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Reply :

so this clown wants those wonderful reporters that go out and try ans make the news, not just report it

i despise those kinds of sports reporters. nothing but shit stirrers

b bulldog
02-16-2007, 09:47 PM
I'll second the Wilde praises.