PDA

View Full Version : The (Super Bowl) party's over

Jimx29
02-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Got a TV larger than 55" and gonna have some friends over for the game? My suggestion would be to not advertise about it, and most definitely do not charge anyone to be there :D

The (Super Bowl) party's over

Powered by Topix.net
By Robert King
robert.king@indystar.com

Churches in Indiana and across the country are scrapping traditional Super Bowl viewing parties in wake of the NFL’s stance that mass viewings of the game on big screen TV’s would violate copyright law.

The issue came to light Thursday when the Star reported that the NFL had told Fall Creek Baptist Church in Indianapolis that its plans for a Super Bowl watch party in front a big screen TV would be illegal.
NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Thursday the league stands by its interpretation of copyright law and would look into any violators that comes to the league’s attention. The main concern for the league, Aiello said, is groups that charge admission to watch games and those that use a TV screen larger than 55 inches to show the game.

A story about Fall Creek’s plan to cancel its game viewing plans prompted dozens of calls and more than 500 email comments to the Star’s website Thursday. Aiello said media from around the country have been inquiring with the league as well.

In Indianapolis, home of the AFC Champion Colts, Indian Creek Christian Church and Castleton United Methodist Church are among those who have cancelled plans to watch the game in their churches.

The issue came to light after the NFL confronted Fall Creek about its promotion of a “Super Bowl Bash” at the church that would bring together congregation members to watch the game with a projection TV.

Aiello said the league has a longstanding policy against “mass out-of-home viewings” of the Super Bowl, even if the hosts don’t charge admission. The NFL makes an exception to that, however, for sports bars that show televised sports on a regular basis. And that point has been a point of considerable anger among people who have contacted the newspaper in response to the story.

Linkage (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070201/SPORTS03/70201036)

Partial
02-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Idiots. I hate copywrite law. That is so stupid.

Lurker64
02-02-2007, 04:52 PM

For the record, it's Copyright as in "right to copy."

Also, Tate is better than Stocco

Freak Out
02-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Greedy pigs!
There is a Brew pub/Movie theater in town that always shows the game for free (but of course charges for the brew and food!) on it's 50' x 30' screen and I always walk over to watch it. I wonder if the NFL would try and shut that down if they new about it? According to that story they would. They are not a sports bar thats for sure. Are they that stupid? Shheeesh....

Partial
02-02-2007, 04:59 PM

For the record, it's Copyright as in "right to copy."

Also, Tate is better than Stocco

Hey buddy, now thats a law suit buddy!!! don't make me do it Lurker!!

LOL, way to hide the tate is better than stocco!!

oregonpackfan
02-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Cyberski,

Now please do not have a "Wardrobe Malfunction" during the game at your house! The Vice Squad will be over at your house in no time! :lol:

Jimx29
02-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Cyberski,

Now please do not have a "Wardrobe Malfunction" during the game at your house! The Vice Squad will be over at your house in no time! :lol:sheeet...we're all drunk and nekid before the 12 hrs of pregame :oops:

Joemailman
02-02-2007, 05:54 PM
The churches should go ahead with their plans, But turn it into a fundraiser for Hurricane Katrina victims. Let the NFL sue them to stop that. That would make a great story.

BooHoo
02-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Churches all over the country have SuperBowl parties. The ones I know of don't charge a cent and use it for a "fellowship" event. At my former we would have anywhere from 30 to 60 people to share the game with. It was fun hearing all of the people yelling and screaming during the game. It was almost like being there in person. I would think the NFL will reconsider this stupid policy.

Guiness
02-02-2007, 06:36 PM
So....you can go to a bar, get pissed up, pinch the barmaid, and get it a fight over whether or was the best back of all time, but spend $200 doing it, and the NFL is good with that.

Go to a pious gathering where you bow your heads to the diety of your choice, and maybe donate some money to an orphanage, and the NFL wants to punt you.

*sigh* And they're surprised that the catch phrase in Miami isn't 'Win one for the Gipper' but 'Don't get caught with a stripper' (I stole that one, btw)

Joemailman
02-02-2007, 06:36 PM
I don't get what the league is opposed to as long as they are not charging admission. It's not like the game is on PPV, and they're allowing people to see it for free. It's on free TV. Kind of funny that it's ok for bars and not churches though.

GBRulz
02-02-2007, 07:05 PM
So if I have friends over and we watch the game on my TV, the NFL can sue me? (It's a 57" screen)

There has got to me more to this story....

Rastak
02-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Churches all over the country have SuperBowl parties. The ones I know of don't charge a cent and use it for a "fellowship" event. At my former we would have anywhere from 30 to 60 people to share the game with. It was fun hearing all of the people yelling and screaming during the game. It was almost like being there in person. I would think the NFL will reconsider this stupid policy.

That sounds like you had a great time. Myself, if I ranked all the places for a superbowl party church would lag far far behind almost everywhere else.

Not that I'm knocking church mind you, or your homies boohoo, I sincerely am not.

BooHoo
02-02-2007, 09:13 PM

That sounds like you had a great time. Myself, if I ranked all the places for a superbowl party church would lag far far behind almost everywhere else.

Not that I'm knocking church mind you, or your homies boohoo, I sincerely am not.

I am a Pastor so I spend a lot of time in church. But I understand what you are saying.

MadtownPacker
02-02-2007, 11:24 PM
That sounds like you had a great time. Myself, if I ranked all the places for a superbowl party church would lag far far behind almost everywhere else.I understand what you mean, it is not a drinking type of setting.

But it still wouldnt be as bad as having to see it with a bunch of envious vikings!!! :lol:

Jimx29
02-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Update:
http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=54081

Iron Mike
02-03-2007, 06:55 PM
So if I have friends over and we watch the game on my TV, the NFL can sue me? (It's a 57" screen)

You have a 57" t.v.???

Are you looking for a boyfriend?? :wink:

]{ilr]3
02-04-2007, 06:37 AM
I am having about 10 friends over to watch on my 100" HD Projection Screen setup. Guess I better send in my revenue check to the NFL tomorrow :shock:

My setup is really nothing special (although its the only way I can watch sports anymore :D ). Its Becoming very common place anymore.

Iron Mike
02-04-2007, 02:10 PM
{ilr]3]I am having about 10 friends over to watch on my 100" HD Projection Screen setup. Guess I better send in my revenue check to the NFL tomorrow :shock:

My setup is really nothing special (although its the only way I can watch sports anymore :D ). Its Becoming very common place anymore.

You have a 100" t.v.???

Are you looking for a boyfriend??? :wink:

Jimx29
02-04-2007, 04:40 PM
100"? Now is that your e-tv size, or IRL size? :)