PDA

View Full Version : From the 'where are they now' file

Guiness
02-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Former Green Bay Packer Finds A New Sport...

Former Green Bay Packers running back Herbert Goodman spent two seasons as the promising understudy to Ahman Green and Dorsey Levens. The Packers cut him after training camp in 2003 but he's stayed in Green Bay and found a new sport.

Don't let the name fool you. Herbert "Whisper" Goodman can pack a big punch.

"It's just my personality, I'm quiet and soft spoken but when I'm in the ring I'm a totally different person."

The former running back now competes in ultimate combat fighting, which is mixed martial arts, after he saw a friend in one fight and wanted to give it a shot.

"I told him I could whip both you guys even though they were in a higher weight class."

"I hear every day people say they want to get into ultimate fighting, but it's not every day they follow through with it," Adam Sandoval, a trainer and promoter for Gladiators Fighting, said.

During the day, Goodman works at Green Bay Southwest High School as a student support assistant. At night, he's training six days a week at The House of Combat.

"It's just a real competitive sport. Wanted to find another sport to be competitive. Once you learn the jujitsu and things, it's real fun," Goodman said.

Whisper's first fight was last November, and it didn't last long. He knocked out his opponent in less than 30 seconds.

"Oh yeah. I was amazed. It's not every day you see a KO like that. There was no question he was not getting up," Goodman said. "I connected before he connected, and that was all she wrote."

While Goodman still wears shorts bearing the logo of his old team, he decided to end his football career in 2005 after suffering an injury in the Canadian Football League.

"I had an opportunity to go back to NFL Europe but I chose not to. In 2002 I was the leading rusher, but I still came back in '02 and they cut me. I still love it. I had my opportunity and I can move on."

And he's moving on to bigger things. "Whisper" will go pro this week, then he's going to Reno, Nevada, to train with Ken Shamrock, one of the elite fight teams in the world.

"Ken Shamrock's held a number of UFC titles, so we're excited for this chance," Sandoval said.

"I'm looking to be on the UFC pay-per-view, be like Chuck Liddell, the Light-Heavyweight Champion," said Goodman.

Before he leaves, his first fight as a pro will be this Saturday in Oshkosh featuring the former NFL player against a former Navy SEAL.
"If they've never seen me fight it's going to be exciting, and I'll guarantee I'm not going to lose," said Whisper.
A bold statement from such a quiet guy.